PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu politics has not changed

friday
12-24-2008, 06:47 AM
its sad having stepped out of the circle for a number of years due to some injuries, continuing to observe and recently joining back into the fray - things haven't really changed at all.
Parts of it still have the egos, politics, jealousy, rivalries, narrowminds, lies...
Some things just never change...

sorry just a little rant of mine...

David Jamieson
12-24-2008, 06:47 AM
speak for yourself.

you know, because that's all there is really.

:)

friday
12-24-2008, 06:56 AM
not really...that would be akin to saying a position on something and then to discount it by saying - "then again thats just my opinion".
I'm very happy for you if you haven't made the same observations or had the same experiences. Good for you :)

friday
12-24-2008, 06:57 AM
btw - where is my manners? Merry Christmas! :)

David Jamieson
12-24-2008, 07:11 AM
hey merry christmas to you!

and remember, this too shall pass.

bawang
12-24-2008, 08:41 AM
if someone has a problem with you send him to heaven

David Jamieson
12-24-2008, 08:44 AM
should we be obliged to give him the cab fare?

bawang
12-24-2008, 08:54 AM
ho ho ho, me so solly, what i meant to say is everyone shoud solve your confrontations in a peaceful non aggesive manner bcuase martial arts is about peace love and gay sex

do not be scare i make joke
but when is the last time people in kung fu solve in door problem with fist instead of gossip like womans? ive never seen it.
i mean
if you insult someone in the jianghu, you are challenging him, right?
what happen to wu de people talk so much about?

TenTigers
12-24-2008, 09:14 AM
everyone likes to talk of Mo-Lum, how everyone is upstanding,righteous and honorable Sifus, always tossing around phrases like Mo-Duk, Yan Yee Do Duk, etc , etc..
Truth be told, they are just a bunch of gossiping old hens. Worried about who is doing what, who's rice bowl is bigger.

BoulderDawg
12-24-2008, 09:33 AM
I think there have been some changes. In the last few years I've seen a reduction of the so-called "MacSchools" and the chains. It looks are more people are demanding more traditional training.

WinterPalm
12-24-2008, 10:39 AM
everyone likes to talk of Mo-Lum, how everyone is upstanding,righteous and honorable Sifus, always tossing around phrases like Mo-Duk, Yan Yee Do Duk, etc , etc..
Truth be told, they are just a bunch of gossiping old hens. Worried about who is doing what, who's rice bowl is bigger.

I think it often just means "I deserve all this special treatment"...you know? What's up with kung fu guys all thinking they have some kind of magical special thing that makes them somehow better than anyone else? S hit, it's all just hard work and either skill in fighting, or no skill in fighting.

Lucas
12-24-2008, 02:16 PM
just too many people dont look for real fighting skills, or people who have them, or ways to properly train them.

you get guys like this who have spent X years in martial arts, yet couldnt hold their own against an amature sport fighter, what else can they do but perpetuate the lies they have lived for so long.

they know nothing else, never developed anything worth while in their lives and hopelessly hang onto that last shred of manhood left to them. the appearances they developed for themselves.

its okay though, a lot of these guys are just teaching kids anyway.

firepalm
12-24-2008, 03:21 PM
just too many people dont look for real fighting skills, or people who have them, or ways to properly train them.

you get guys like this who have spent X years in martial arts, yet couldnt hold their own against an amature sport fighter, what else can they do but perpetuate the lies they have lived for so long.

they know nothing else, never developed anything worth while in their lives and hopelessly hang onto that last shred of manhood left to them. the appearances they developed for themselves.

its okay though, a lot of these guys are just teaching kids anyway.

I would agree wholeheartedly with this statement, to me many of the old timer Kung Fu teachers that I've known over the years cling to what they know as if it were some form of religious faith. The vast majority of them can't fight but wouldn't even fathom looking outside their little box.

Unfortunate to me really as there are many aspects of CMA that I feel have value and merit (cultural & sportive aspects) but much of CMA has degraded & not evolved.

My two cents. :cool:

SPJ
12-24-2008, 06:38 PM
politics is just politics.

wherever, you have 2 people, they may work together

wherever, you have 3 or more people, opposing factions will form.

there is this saying

one monk would carry the bucket to fetch drinking water from the river.

2 monks would carry and fetch together.

3 monks together, there is no water to drink, b/c none of them would want to be the one to carry the bucket. or 2 people may carry the bucket, everyone wants to be the 3rd free person

in any circle including MA circle.

there are people, there will be politics or favorism.

for most of us, just live and let live

or mind our own business and don't let others get to us.

--

:D

Ray Pina
12-30-2008, 08:03 PM
you get guys like this who have spent X years in martial arts, yet couldnt hold their own against an amature sport fighter.

That's me.

These "amateur sport fighters" are freaking really tough. Go enter a sanctioned, amateur MMA event in your area, see what happens and then report back.

Ray Pina
12-31-2008, 05:39 AM
its sad having stepped out of the circle for a number of years due to some injuries, continuing to observe and recently joining back into the fray - things haven't really changed at all.
Parts of it still have the egos, politics, jealousy, rivalries, narrowminds, lies...
Some things just never change...

sorry just a little rant of mine...

All martial arts have some negative politics. Kung Fu is laden with it because its practitioners usually inflate and promote themselves with their mouth, computer keyboard or demonstrating videos. They don't put their technique and a$$ on the line.

This creates a bunch of woman-like behavior.

Kung Fu will change when it's followers change. Maybe they'll still talk smack, but it will be the self-pumping-up pre-fight smack talking that some fighters need to amp themselves up. I never like it, but can understand that. That is different than talking smack to another man you'll never face.

sanjuro_ronin
12-31-2008, 05:57 AM
All martial arts have some negative politics. Kung Fu is laden with it because its practitioners usually inflate and promote themselves with their mouth, computer keyboard or demonstrating videos. They don't put their technique and a$$ on the line.

This creates a bunch of woman-like behavior.

Kung Fu will change when it's followers change. Maybe they'll still talk smack, but it will be the self-pumping-up pre-fight smack talking that some fighters need to amp themselves up. I never like it, but can understand that. That is different than talking smack to another man you'll never face.

Its not just Kung fu Bro, Kyokushin is all about fighting and they have the same politics and crap.
Unless there is a sole "governing body" you will always have politics and crap.
Even then there is still some of it, its human nature.

Ray Pina
12-31-2008, 07:10 AM
Yea. I never cared about those types of politics... who's got the final say. Who can promote who. That stuff never meant anything to me.

I'm talking about guys making claims.... about having the "real" stuff. The only legit lineage. Special skills.... but then they never put up.

That's just frustrating.

As a kid I'd go to Issin-Ryu tournaments. And there's always politics. You can be underscored in form. And you can be disqualified for created things while sparring.... but kicking some kid out of the taped enclosure and on his a$$. There's no denying that. You can take that feeling home with you and call on it 25 years later and still smile.

Talk is always ugly. But never as ugly as in martial arts.

Ronin22
12-31-2008, 08:45 AM
Its not just Kung fu Bro, Kyokushin is all about fighting and they have the same politics and crap.
Unless there is a sole "governing body" you will always have politics and crap.
Even then there is still some of it, its human nature.

Yeah it's a game. I remember a while back when i was testing for my next kyu in Kyokushin I had all the requiste kata's down and fought well but they wouldn't promote me because I didn't have enough classes under my belt. This just screamed to me it was about the dollars and not the students progress.

Sanjuro

How is the Kyokushin/ Kyokushinkai/ Kyokushinkai-kan doing up in Canada since it's been split off into so many directions? In the U.S. it's still around but the original maters that Mas sent over (S.Oyama, M.Miura, etc) have re-branded it to thier own style like US Oyama.

sanjuro_ronin
12-31-2008, 08:49 AM
Yeah it's a game. I remember a while back when i was testing for my next kyu in Kyokushin I had all the requiste kata's down and fought well but they wouldn't promote me because I didn't have enough classes under my belt. This just screamed to me it was about the dollars and not the students progress.

Sanjuro

How is the Kyokushin/ Kyokushinkai/ Kyokushinkai-kan doing up in Canada since it's been split off into so many directions? In the U.S. it's still around but the original maters that Mas sent over (S.Oyama, M.Miura, etc) have re-branded it to thier own style like US Oyama.

There are a few IKO's up here, I know that there are 6 world wide I think, but only 3 or 4 have reps here, I think.
I don't follow kyokushin politics anymore.
Add to those all the off-shoots and what a fine stew we have.

lkfmdc
12-31-2008, 09:09 AM
human nature is to engage in politics, and martial arts are no exception. I've seen it in all the martial arts traditions but I have to say, after doing Korean, Japanese, Filipino and Chinese martial arts traditions, the Chinese still have the worst kind of politics. I think it is related to many features of the culture and history

TenTigers
12-31-2008, 09:24 AM
I was going to post something, but realized that it would stir up politics.:p

Lucas
12-31-2008, 09:48 AM
That's me.

These "amateur sport fighters" are freaking really tough. Go enter a sanctioned, amateur MMA event in your area, see what happens and then report back.

I'm thinking thats in the future for me, I just need some ground game. I'm going to start with judo pretty soon. After that I'll probably study some JJ.

we'll see where I take it though. I know I'll be competing in judo, at least thats my goal when I get there.

jet64
01-01-2009, 03:56 AM
Kungfu politics sucks! :)

Lama Pai Sifu
01-01-2009, 05:32 AM
I was going to post something, but realized that it would stir up politics.:p

How 'Non-Chinese' of you. You should be ashamed.

friday
01-01-2009, 08:39 AM
yup I guess I didn't really expect anything different from my past experience but I guess you can't blame yourself for hoping.
i still recall the disbelief I felt being told that something I had actually done, seen, heard, said - did not actually happen??? wth is with that????
i recall being told stories or versions of past events and then had it verified from the source that they weren't true???
and after rejoining the fray I see alot of jealousy driven campaigns to discredit others???
so much bs. Where is the kung fu? where is the honour? the character and integrity?
Too many shaw bro movies when I was a kid...

TenTigers
01-01-2009, 09:53 AM
so much bs. Where is the kung fu? where is the honour? the character and integrity?
Too many shaw bro movies when I was a kid...
No,Man. It is within you.
You are the one who carries on the tradition, despite the small mindedness of others. Stand firm outside.

Choose your own peers.

jet64
01-02-2009, 02:21 AM
TT, Good point :)

Ray Pina
01-02-2009, 05:18 AM
I'm thinking thats in the future for me, I just need some ground game. I'm going to start with judo pretty soon. After that I'll probably study some JJ.

we'll see where I take it though. I know I'll be competing in judo, at least thats my goal when I get there.

Good luck! And it's the best decision you'll make as a martial artist. Your conditioning, flow and perspective will all increase. It's beautiful to be able to go and train and truly test yourself against other guys who are also training and trying to throw you down and tap you. It's wonderful.

And since its new to me and I hate losing, I am mad inspired. So many talented players who have devoted their lives to Jodo and BJJ.

Ray Pina
01-02-2009, 05:19 AM
No,Man. It is within you.
You are the one who carries on the tradition, despite the small mindedness of others. Stand firm outside.

Choose your own peers.

That is a good point.

bakxierboxer
01-03-2009, 08:21 PM
That is a good point.

Although some good points can be found outside of you.

One that you might find interesting would be: