PDA

View Full Version : Global warming is back!!!!! Whoo hoooo!!

RD'S Alias - 1A
12-26-2008, 09:19 PM
We are having a huge melt off in Chicago right now!! It will be almost SIXTY tomorrow!!!

We are due to get 3 inches of rain, on top of about 8 or 9 inches of snow that is melting!!

The Fog is really cool though! I wish I could get a good photo of it!!

diego
12-26-2008, 09:38 PM
We are having a huge melt off in Chicago right now!! It will be almost SIXTY tomorrow!!!

We are due to get 3 inches of rain, on top of about 8 or 9 inches of snow that is melting!!

The Fog is really cool though! I wish I could get a good photo of it!!
we got three feet over xmas...i have to walk two miles to get home soon:( better find me bob marley:p

WinterPalm
12-26-2008, 10:14 PM
we got three feet over xmas...i have to walk two miles to get home soon:( better find me bob marley:p

Yeah, I heard Vancouver was bad. My fiance's uncle and aunt live out there and they're having trouble getting around. Crazy. We don't have much snow but we've had some vicious cold...or fun depending on your state of mind.

diego
12-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Yeah, I heard Vancouver was bad. My fiance's uncle and aunt live out there and they're having trouble getting around. Crazy. We don't have much snow but we've had some vicious cold...or fun depending on your state of mind.

peeps can't drive in Vancouver, they said 8000 stuck at Metrotown the trains froze lol. The Olympics are going to be spastic our city planners are either up on whitslet stoned or they down on hastings steday CRACKED...we still have 1997 transit planning and all the chinese came over from HK in 95 before the british left, 2000-2005 we have heavy transit of foriegn students from brazil and sweden and they all moving here...the Olympics gonna be ****ed:( I live three blocks from the seabus so I'm gonna be late all day...

jdhowland
01-04-2009, 08:53 AM
It was -41 F. here last night when i went to my training hall. I had only two students in my kids class. I don't think the problem is incentive so much as the fact that some automobiles are persnickity at forty below. On the other hand we don't get the humidity that a lot of you have to deal with. I find it's easier to train in cool, dry atmosphere.

Temperature variations really cramp my training, though. Since i don't have particularly high ceilings in my kwoon, long weapons training is done outdoors. For us that means spear, saam-jit-gwan and steel whip are only practiced from June through October. Hardwood shafts become brittle in our cold and even rattan dries out and splinters. We have used school gymnasiums for some work but weapons are not allowed in schools (for some reason). When i studied jojutsu in Hawaii the small temperature variations were a blessing. The training was always outdoors on natural terrain, storm or shine. You get soaking wet and then the wind dries you off--sweet. If we tried that here we'd die with freeze-dried lungs. Anyway, no complaints...i hope there will be plenty of pack ice this winter for the seals and polar bears.

Who else is dealing with having to modify their training styles to allow for environment? Anyone practicing Javanese silat in Edmonton? Northern Chinese styles in Penang?

Hauoli makahiki hou.

jd

David Jamieson
01-04-2009, 10:18 AM
long weapons practice is kiboshed until the warm comes back for me.

hskwarrior
01-04-2009, 10:31 AM
you watch tooo much seinfeld!!!!! :p

jdhowland
01-04-2009, 10:57 AM
you watch tooo much seinfeld!!!!! :p

Sorry, i don't get the reference. I've never seen Seinfeld.

jd

David Jamieson
01-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Maybe he was referencing my use of the word "kibosh" (which is an Irish colloquialism) fwiw. lol

But I do recall an episode of Seinfeld where it was used, not unlike the "yada yada" episode. :p

jdhowland
01-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Maybe he was referencing my use of the word "kibosh"

Ah, yes. That strange expression of uncertain etymology.

I had to laugh at myself for actually using the word "persnickity" on another thread, even though i have no clear idea of what it means.

jd