PDA

View Full Version : For those who can...

mickey
12-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Greetings

In the January/February issue of Kung Fu Magazine there is a demonstration of a Shaolin Broom form. What is interesting about this form is that it is a "template" form. That is, it can be used as a template to create other weapon forms. I see the following weapon forms that can be developed from it:

Horse Knife, Fan, Monk Spade, ,Sword, Broadsword, Straight Whip, Section Staff, 2 Section Staff, Halberd, Kwan Dao, and Rake (I dare not say I covered them all).

Other possibilities include the wolf tooth mace, long pipe, and the miao dao.

This might be of interest to those who want to develop "traditional" style competition forms and not have to worry about those who videotape their forms or those whose form repetoire is limited. In the latter case, all you would need is to team up with someone who is familiar with the characteristics of those weapons and you will have something good.

Have fun!

mickey

YouKnowWho
12-31-2008, 02:51 PM
The short weapon and long weapon use a complete different set of principles. How can you use a template to create both a long weapon form and short weapon form? What's the value of this "template"? Will this "template" help you to develop new weapon skill or just rearrange of the old weapon skill that you already have.

In other words, will this "template" help you to grow "tall" or just to grow "fat"?

mickey
12-31-2008, 03:20 PM
Hi YouKnowWho,

The last paragraph is key to my initial post. It had nothing to do with "growing fat," though I do understand what you mean. When I used the word characteristics, I was referring to principles, those things that make a particular weapon unique to itself. For those with a limited repetoire, "with assistance," it could be a chance to "grow tall." I had regrets about starting this thread because of all the Mckwoons in this country. More forms is more money to them. It was more of a creative observation of what could be done with the form --- I had a moment. :)

mickey

Lucas
12-31-2008, 03:45 PM
i still have not had a chance to pick up my copy. probably this weekend I will. Thanks for sharing your thoughts mickey, ill be sure to check it out.

Zyaga
01-07-2009, 10:09 AM
I actually have a copy of that edition.

There was quite a bit of detail on the broom form. :D

I need to subscribe sometime soon, rather than having to always pick em up. :)