PDA

View Full Version : Squats

Reverend Tap
12-28-2008, 06:26 PM
Squats are generally a staple of my at-home workouts as well as warm-ups for classes (bodyweight only, 20-50 rep sets). I've been doing them for a while with no problems, but recently I've been hearing contradictory advice about how deep I should be going, with some saying to go to full knee bend (which I have been doing thus far), and others saying only to go to a 90-degree bend. Now, I tend to spend a lot of time day-to-day in a knees-fully-bent position (up on the balls of my feet, sitting on my heels; I find it more comfortable than bending down to get at low things), so I know my knees can take that for long periods with no problem, but some of the "only bend to 90" people recently haven't been citing knee problems, instead talking about that being better or more efficient for MA leg training. Thoughts?

sanjuro_ronin
12-29-2008, 07:26 AM
You go as low as you comfortably can with good form.
If you can easily do full squats with good form, do them.
If you start losing form with the amount of weight, decrease the amount.

punchdrunk
12-29-2008, 07:22 PM
some people train only the range of motion that they will use in whatever sport or activity they train for. I advocate using full range reps with lighter weights and pyramiding the weight up while decreasing the range of motion. I would rather decrease my range especially with squats than start doing dangerous form and injure my lower back or knees.
Heavy deep bends are very effective for body building but they wreck havoc on almost everyones kness in a short time. If your martial art uses deep knee bends (wrestling) then i would suggest it with caution. Ultimately everything in weight training is individual and you'll have to see how your body, muscles and joints respond best.

Reverend Tap
12-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Cool, thanks for the advice.

I actually have never done them with weights; my dad was a weightlifter for a long time and, in spite of all the best correct form and everything, is now waiting on two replacement shoulders, so I've always been extremely cautious about using anything more than dumbbells.

Cimaroon
12-30-2008, 03:55 AM
^ Hindu Squats are pretty killer. Try them if you havent.

Mr Punch
12-30-2008, 05:44 AM
Cool, thanks for the advice.

I actually have never done them with weights; my dad was a weightlifter for a long time and, in spite of all the best correct form and everything, is now waiting on two replacement shoulders, so I've always been extremely cautious about using anything more than dumbbells.My granny has two plastic hips and I don't think she's ever lifted. She is 92, mind. My uncle has two plastic hips at 65 and he's never lifted either. They both walk a lot...

There are many things that can cause degeneration of joints. Bad form is only one.

Squat deep.

PS. do not try hindu squats unless you're sure about your squats. Lifting the heals is supposedly biomechanically bad for your knees unless you've built up to it.

TenTigers
12-30-2008, 09:26 AM
I asked an orthopedic surgeon, who is also a weight lifter, martial artist,grappler...
anyway, he said that you should definately go full range of motion. When you go ninety degrees, or half squat, you are using the range of motion everyone uses their entire life-from after toddler age. They are just rubbing, grinding and wearing away cartilige, and eventually, bone. That's where he comes in-he does alot of hip and knee replacements.
But when you go down to full position, that's all new, young, unused cartilige.
Besides, you decrease your range of motion, which will stiffen up and lessen over the years. It gets less and less, the tendons and ligaments get tighter and tighter.
That is why you see older people walking the way they do, and when you go to the parks in Chinatown, you see some of those eighty year old kids, walking with spring in their strides, eyes bright, and a smile on their faces.

punchdrunk
12-30-2008, 03:14 PM
it comes down to individual flexibility and health of joints, body weight excersises done at full range are usually fine if there is no previous injury, but i wouldn't suggest heavy weight bearing exercises to increase the range of motion.
Also full rom means different things to different people. For some it is thighs paralel for others it is butt to your calves, above all else listen to your own body more than anyone else.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-31-2008, 01:24 AM
answers to all life's questions:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6529481301858251744&q=%22dan+john%22&total=124&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

other good vids:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=109301011#post109301011

SteveLau
01-22-2009, 08:41 PM
At the moment, I have not fully recovered from my ITB injury on my left leg. So lately, I agree with the expert's advice of not doing the squat with leg injury. I replace it with horse stance exercise. My current view of squats is that it is a good exercise. Going full range of motion is good. But do not over do it with weights. Squat is good even when it is done without weights. Doing a similar exercise with a gym machine is better because the pressure on the joints and muscles is much reduced on the release part of the move.

Regards,

KC
Hong Kong

golgo
01-23-2009, 07:49 AM
My current view of squats is that it is a good exercise. Going full range of motion is good. But do not over do it with weights. Squat is good even when it is done without weights. Doing a similar exercise with a gym machine is better because the pressure on the joints and muscles is much reduced on the release part of the move.

There is no machine that provides similar benefits to the squat, and that includes the leg press and smith machines.

SevenStar
01-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Squat deep.

Think about it this way - when you stop prematurely - 90 degrees, you are forcing your momentum to a halt early - With a lot of extra weight on your shoulders. That can't be good for the knees. Go the full range, and of course, with good form.

Water Dragon
01-24-2009, 09:57 AM
Squat deep.

Think about it this way - when you stop prematurely - 90 degrees, you are forcing your momentum to a halt early - With a lot of extra weight on your shoulders. That can't be good for the knees. Go the full range, and of course, with good form.

This is correct. Your knees carry most of the load until your highs hit parallel to the ground, then the load shifts to the butt. Squatting to parallel or below is actually better for your knees because there is not as much shear force on them.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-24-2009, 10:35 AM
did anyone watch that ****ing video? srsyly ... it changed my life.