PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis

aesop
12-31-2008, 12:21 PM
Hi everyone,

First of all, I feel I should apologize. About a year ago, I popped into the forums to ask about schools in NYC....and promptly disappeared. As they say, "life got in the way", but, yeesh, how rude. I didn't end up staying in New York for very long; I'm sure I would have uncovered some pretty great teachers. So thanks to all who responded- better late than never, right?! This time, I promise I'll stick around :rolleyes: !

I've come out of my lurking with a similar question. I may be moving to St. Louis in the near future and neither my teacher nor I know anything about the kung fu "scene" out there. I'm a Wah Lum student with four years (in the style) under my belt. I really love it and feel like practice is just starting to open up for me. I have been lucky enough to get intelligent, well-rounded, "traditional" instruction. I could easily go on forever about my training so far (!), but I'll cut to the chase. Does anyone know about schools in St. Louis? I know that there are no Temple-certified Wah Lum instructors out there, but, well, I don't think that necessarily means there's no one practicing this style. Regardless, I'm more than willing to travel pretty extensively, and am open to other options. I've poked around online, sent some emails, but it's great to have advice that's backed by some experience.

So any folks from Missouri out there?

Best,
Aesop

Oso
12-31-2008, 05:17 PM
if you are looking for wah lum and aren't particular about them being temple certified you might PM: yu shan, yao sing or mantid1 and see if they can help you out.

but, as always, you should find the best instructor in the area and not necessarily be focused on a particular style...but, it depends on your goals.

yu shan
01-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Here is who I would train with in that area:

Shifu Ron Davenport
(Citong Shifu is his user name on kfo)
www.citongshaolinkungfu.com
(618) 447-3622 or (618) 462-0604
Godfrey, IL.

bakxierboxer
01-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Here is who I would train with in that area:

Shifu Ron Davenport
(Citong Shifu is his user name on kfo)
www.citongshaolinkungfu.com
(618) 447-3622 or (618) 462-0604
Godfrey, IL.

I took a look, and......

??????
What's with this?

"Nan Quan - Southern Short Arm Boxing"?

Sounds "suspicious" to me..... ;)

Tainan Mantis
01-01-2009, 06:22 PM
There is a type of short arm boxing of the south.

You can call it Nan Pai Duan Quan (or Da) / southern style short fist.

bakxierboxer
01-01-2009, 06:37 PM
There is a type of short arm boxing of the south.

You can call it Nan Pai Duan Quan (or Da) / southern style short fist.

"Short Arm" means "something else" or rather "something other" than a MA technique and distancing.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=short+arm

http://www.answers.com/topic/short-arm-inspection

The more usual/"preferred" term s/b "Short Hand".

aesop
01-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I haven't had a chance to check out the website yet, yu shan, but I appreciate it

As Oso said, I am not particular about certification. My teacher here in Maine is not directly associated with the WL temple, and I have no reservations about it. I believe that it was my teacher's teacher who broke off from the temple at some point, for "political" reasons. I'm not sure what the whole story was, because, like I said, I have no doubts about my training and am not at a point where these things are much of a concern.
In the last four months I've felt a real shift in my practice and am beginning to get a sense of WL's "look" as a whole. My training has emphasized stances and application strongly. I didn't have to wait years before moving out of horse stance, but almost! I've finally begun to have some consistency in rooting, sinking my weight and breath, and that's had a huge impact on all parts of my practice. It's such an exciting time and I really hope I can continue along in this style :o

oh, and, Happy 2009 everyone !

aesop

aesop
01-05-2009, 02:11 PM
No further input? Poop.

Unfortunately, from my research, I don't think that Citong Shaolin would be the place for me. It's a little too far from my experience and interests. No disrespect, just different tastes. All I've turned up otherwise is a Southern Mantis place that looks awfully commercialized and this one: http://www.shaolinkungfu.org/

I was hoping that someone with some Wah Lum experience, or even another Northern Mantis style in that area would turn up on the boards. It was worth a try. It's a struggle to try and practice this art in the modern world, no? At least until those fabulous riches materialize as expected :rolleyes:

Keep fighting the good fight, all!

Three Harmonies
01-05-2009, 04:21 PM
I have been racking my brain since I saw this. There was a cat in that general area named Greg___________ AND I CANNOT REMEMBER HIS LAST NAME!!!!! You may want to ask Steve Cottrell if he knows of anyone. He did Longfist Mantis. Real nice guy. No idea of his skill level, but super cool dude!
Sorry I cannot help more.
Jake

MasterKiller
01-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Henry “Poo” Yee has a student in St. Louis:

http://www.stlkungfu.com/

aesop
01-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Thanks guys.

Jake- isn't that the most irritating thing in the world, having someone's name on the tip of your tongue? Sorry I brought it on. Also, nice website!

Three Harmonies
01-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks, but just wait. We are redoing the whole look, and it will be 10x nicer. Hopefully be up at the end of the month.
Jake

bakxierboxer
01-08-2009, 11:59 PM
Henry “Poo” Yee has a student in St. Louis:

http://www.stlkungfu.com/

"Poo" Yee claims Southern Mantis.
The OP seemed to be talking about Wah Lum or, failing that, any other "Northern Mantis".

mantid1
01-09-2009, 06:10 AM
I would look for Tai Chi Praying Mantis from the CCK lineage.

It is probably one of the best Chinese systems out there.

The quality will depend on each teacher...but if it is taught close to how the Grand Master passed it down you cant go wrong.

MasterKiller
01-09-2009, 07:45 AM
"Poo" Yee claims Southern Mantis.
The OP seemed to be talking about Wah Lum or, failing that, any other "Northern Mantis".

No sh1t.

All I've turned up otherwise is a Southern Mantis place that looks awfully commercialized and this one: http://www.shaolinkungfu.org/

But obviously, he was looking at other options.

LFJ
01-09-2009, 08:01 PM
i've been in st. louis since summer '07.

not sure what you're looking for exactly, but i'd just say beware. this place seems to have a ton more fakes, frankly, than anything authentic.

especially as far as shaolin goes. all the ones i've seen using the name "shaolin" have turned out to be rather disappointing- as is to be expected.

i personally study with master shi deyang (http://shideyang.com/) in china, but keep to myself while in st. louis for aforementioned reasons.

you may end up having to do the same, unfortunately. st. louis isnt all that big.

aesop
01-12-2009, 03:39 PM
LFJ- Thanks a lot for replying, I hoped I would hear from someone directly familiar with St. Louis. Just from looking at websites, I agree with your assessment of the options. I am devoted to practicing the whole art (take from that what you will), and it seems very doubtful that I will find a teacher on the same wavelength in St. Louis. It very well might prevent me from moving there at all. I am good at keeping myself motivated, not letting my practice slide when I've had shortish breaks in instruction. Still, I am not an advanced enough student to maintain my growth if those breaks were to become routine.
By any chance are you aware of any interesting schools within, say, a 250 mile radius :confused:

Thanks for your input.

LFJ
01-13-2009, 10:14 PM
unfortunately i dont have any further information. i only searched around the area when i first arrived here.