PDA

View Full Version : OMFG! @1 reason NOT to train MMA

Yao Sing
01-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Warning - major gross staph infection here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l7-Z_dBfZU&feature=related) from MMA training.

Another one, gross but funny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qfSTuU-sus&feature=related).

Please tell me this isn't as common as the guy in the first vid suggests. :eek:

BoulderDawg
01-02-2009, 10:50 PM
I think some people are prone to it more than others.

However I would be leary about a gym that wasn't cleaned daily. Also even if I get a slight carpet/mat burn I take it serious and treat it.

On a side note, there have been hospitals where this has been a major, major problem...Why? The people working there would not wash their hands. Staff is not that hard to prevent...It's sad that you have to threaten people with their jobs to make them wash their hands.

David Jamieson
01-03-2009, 07:50 AM
This is more of a reason to not train with the hygenically challenged as opposed to not training mma.

keep yourself clean, don't train in crap hole gyms and you'll be fine.

Kansuke
01-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Mat crud is nasty business.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-03-2009, 11:26 AM
wouldn't taking just 10 mins to disinfect the mat with a dust mop every few sessions solve that problem?

i dont think our mats were cleaned every single time we used them, but they were cleaned, and i dont remember ever having a problem.

Kansuke
01-03-2009, 12:15 PM
No, it won't always solve the problem. It's not easy to keep every creepy crawly out of a wide, flat, porous surface where lots of people are walking, rolling, sweating, bleeding, etc.

However, taking steps to maintain a sanitary environment is a matter of important responsibility.

IronWeasel
01-03-2009, 11:18 PM
What you need to do besides bleach the mats is to make sure that every greasy, no-showerng, stinky, nose picking class mate, has a shower (with soap) and washes his hands before class.

Staph infections happen all the time. Grapple with a nose picker and you get an infection worthy of a Youtube video!

Staph (aureus) lives in your nose. Use a Kleenex. Use soap!!

BoulderDawg
01-03-2009, 11:43 PM
What you need to do besides bleach the mats is to make sure that every greasy, no-showerng, stinky, nose picking class mate, has a shower (with soap) and washes his hands before class.

Staph infections happen all the time. Grapple with a nose picker and you get an infection worthy of a Youtube video!

Staph (aureus) lives in your nose. Use a Kleenex. Use soap!!

Not always easy to know and a delicate situation if you're a school owner.

I say if you keep the school clean and protect yourself (shower after class and immediately treat any breaks in the skin) then you've done all you can do. I've been in MA for three years now and, as far as I know, no one has ever gotten staff from the school.

Now, on a side note, if you have someone coming to class who is obviously not a hygenic person then you have to say something. I've known people, (outside of MA thank god), that I would not want to be on the floor with. But this is the exception not the rule. Interesting story about the lady known as Typhoid Mary. Had the lady just have washed her hands and kept clean she would have lead a normal life without infecting anyone.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-04-2009, 02:48 AM
unless i had sat in an air conditioned office all day, i actually showered before most of my jiujitsu classes. it always puzled the woman, but i just figured it was common courtesy. if i've been cutting grass all day, and i know that someones face has a good chance of being firmly planted in various swamp grounds, i'd kinda be a d!ck not to. i just wish everyone i trained with felt the same. stinky balled motherfukcers.

BoulderDawg
01-05-2009, 11:03 AM
unless i had sat in an air conditioned office all day, i actually showered before most of my jiujitsu classes. it always puzled the woman, but i just figured it was common courtesy. if i've been cutting grass all day, and i know that someones face has a good chance of being firmly planted in various swamp grounds, i'd kinda be a d!ck not to. i just wish everyone i trained with felt the same. stinky balled motherfukcers.

I don't know...Sometimes sweaty women are very sexy!:p

MasterKiller
01-05-2009, 11:13 AM
I don't know...Sometimes sweaty women are very sexy!:p

Stinky crotch is always unsexy.

Mr Punch
01-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Staph (aureus) lives in your nose. Use a Kleenex. Use soap!!Not true: it lives in the skin too. You may have it and not know. Which makes the washing even more important (though even the most hygenic people can carry it) and more importantly rashguard or other long sleeved tight clothes and covering any, even slight abrasions, boils etc. There are so many variations of even aureus...

Last time I got staph (an aureus variation), it was from a guy who had some kind of atopic dermatitis on a filthy public mat (he was hygenic enough but... his sleeves rolled up too easily) with a slightly abrasive surface... well, duh! Best way to avoid that is... avoid that kind of situation. Luckily it wasn't too bad in my case.

Mr Punch
01-05-2009, 10:05 PM
On a side note, there have been hospitals where this has been a major, major problem...Why? The people working there would not wash their hands. Staff is not that hard to prevent...It's sad that you have to threaten people with their jobs to make them wash their hands.That sounds horrible. Maybe it's different in the US, but in the three hospitals (NHS, not even private) I've worked in in the UK everyone was fanatic about scrubbing up before and after anything!

BoulderDawg
01-05-2009, 11:08 PM
That sounds horrible. Maybe it's different in the US, but in the three hospitals (NHS, not even private) I've worked in in the UK everyone was fanatic about scrubbing up before and after anything!

Let's hope that most of this is in the past. I've read where a few hospitals are even video taping scrub areas for "insurance reasons"......probably a good idea!

Anyway, the disgusting youtube video aside, this is something I've never seen in my school. Of course it's going to happen occasionally but as long as you take care yourself the risk is very small. But, as we all know, there are people out there who can just walk though a gym and pick up an infection. I say if you go through 4 years of taking PE daily in a public high school and you don't pick anything up then you're pretty safe. I think we can all remember the bathing habits of one or two of the people we went to school with.:D

In any case I'm much more concerned about blowing out a knee or hurting my back.

BoulderDawg
01-23-2009, 11:38 AM
For those people who complain about a little staff infection:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/01/23/model.bridi.amputated.brazil/index.html