PDA

View Full Version : I need some translation help please

Eddie
01-03-2009, 02:34 AM
So I actually have someone here in China that wants me to teach him some CLF. It will be fun for me, as it will mean that I will get a new training partner. Problem is, I learned all the CLF terms in Cantonese. I can translate some of it myself, but a few terms are hard to translate. I suppose I can still try use the Cantonese terms, but would be better if I can translate it.

So .. anyone here that wouldn’t mind typing the Chinese characters out, or know of a site that has it typed out already, for the 10 CLF seeds? Then, I have asked this before, but what is the putonghua equivalent for ‘choy’? In Putonghua and wushu terms they use ‘ bienquan’ for example, where in Cantonese (CLF terminology) we would say been choy. There are a few others. If you are familiar with putonghua, you would understand that I mean.

Anyone care to help me please?

David Jamieson
01-03-2009, 07:01 AM
not that i am familiar with the language, but isn't "choy" a surname? along with "li" in context to choy li fut? and if so, why wouldn't it just stay choy li fut?

(although i have seen it as varied as "cai li fo" but i think that may even be a southern dialectic thing.)

TenTigers
01-03-2009, 07:13 AM
=or he could be referring to choy , as in Charp Choy, Ping Choy, etc?

hskwarrior
01-03-2009, 08:10 AM
扫 = sao=to sweep

hskwarrior
01-03-2009, 08:18 AM
eddie,

here try this.....it MAY help, when others won't.

Chinese english dictionary (http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php)

taaigihk
01-03-2009, 12:04 PM
So I actually have someone here in China that wants me to teach him some CLF. It will be fun for me, as it will mean that I will get a new training partner. Problem is, I learned all the CLF terms in Cantonese. I can translate some of it myself, but a few terms are hard to translate. I suppose I can still try use the Cantonese terms, but would be better if I can translate it.

So .. anyone here that wouldn’t mind typing the Chinese characters out, or know of a site that has it typed out already, for the 10 CLF seeds? Then, I have asked this before, but what is the putonghua equivalent for ‘choy’? In Putonghua and wushu terms they use ‘ bienquan’ for example, where in Cantonese (CLF terminology) we would say been choy. There are a few others. If you are familiar with putonghua, you would understand that I mean.

Anyone care to help me please?

Hi,

I don't think it is a good idea to translate those cantonese clf terms into putonghua. Although differences between dialects are more than just phonetic, I would not recommend to try to find equivalents, leave all the original characters, and just pronounce them using putonghua pronounciation.
It's because putonghua is quite artificial (like esperanto in a way).
You may find it difficult to find equivalents for some traditional wushu vocabulary which is tangled up already and very closely related to dialects of areas the style developed.

I'd say teach them (show them), tell them what it's called (putonghua pronounciation), write the name down (characters), and they'll know.

捶/锤 - choy - chui

Eddie
01-03-2009, 06:25 PM
thanks tailik, thats what I actually meant.
The word Choy / chui is not used in putonghua (as it is used in cantonese).

Thanks for that character.

Anyone know where I can find the rest?

I'm specifically looking for chueng ahn choy . Its the charactor for 'spear' but using a different radical.

thanks for th ehelp so far

Fung Ngan
01-04-2009, 04:07 AM
Hi Eddy,

Try: http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk/scripts/wordsearch.php?level=0

You have more possibilities for translations…..Mandarin, Cantonese, English…

Eddie
01-04-2009, 05:40 AM
ok, maybe Im not writing this well enough hehe
the translation it self is not a problem for me, I can understand putonghua. What I really need, is the characters. If I have those, I can translate it via whatever site I want to use.

Maybe just the characters for the 10 seeds, and also 'cheurng' ahn choy.

thanks for all the help so far.

man... its cold up here. I never thought i'd ever say that I miss Africa, but I do. I miss the sunshine and good weather ;)

taaigihk
01-04-2009, 07:49 AM
Is this it, the ten seeds?

http://yes375.com/BBS/forum_posts.asp?TID=1921

hskwarrior
01-04-2009, 09:53 AM
炮]捶 = pao cui

Eddie
01-05-2009, 12:43 AM
Is this it, the ten seeds?

http://yes375.com/BBS/forum_posts.asp?TID=1921

yes thats it thanks

Jeong
01-05-2009, 02:17 PM
I think it is 搶眼槌 in Traditional Characters, or 抢眼槌 in Simplified.

Eddie
01-05-2009, 06:37 PM
yeah thats it. thanks