PDA

View Full Version : Training Videos

AdrianK
01-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Hey everyone, I've got a question for all of you.

I'm very much into collecting training and instructional videos on a variety of martial arts, so for all of you who do the same, what would you say are the top 5 of your collection?

Here's mine:

5. Kyokushin Karate Encyclopedia(IKO) - Just because its such a complete video on the art.

4. Uechi-Ryu w/ Shinyu Gushi(Pangai Noon Karate)

3. Bas Rutten's MMA Workout

2. Basically anything by Dr. Yang Jwing Ming, I have his Shaolin video, his qigong videos, and Taiji videos.

1. Wooden Dummy w/ Sifu Gary Lam

Theres tons more I have on various arts, but those are the ones that come to mind right now.

Anyone have any good recommendations on mok gar/south mantis/bak mei or bajiquan vids?

Drake
01-05-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm a 100% GM Doc Fai Wong collector myself.

Zyaga
01-07-2009, 08:14 AM
I cannot think of all the one's I have at the moment, but here are 5 of the one's that I like that I can think of. These are in no particular order.

Erle Montaigue - Everything about him can be controversial, but I find that his videos are quite decent.
Dr. Yang Jwing Ming - I love the way he does his videos and they are so clear. What he teaches is also very thorough, so I definitely have to have his name up here. I have his Shaolin video and quite a few of his books.
Gary Lam - I've seen about half or more of the videos he has put out. He makes me laugh so much by the way he explains things. Definitely good material.
Emin Boztepe - I've also seen about half or more of the videos he has put out as well. I think he explains a lot more about the fundamentals than most care to explain. Some of the points he made, really made me get why things work the way they do.
Wong Shun Leung - The video called Wing Chun - The Science of In-Fighting is simply fantastic. Check it out if you get the chance.

Anyways, I'm sure there are plenty more videos out there worthy of mentioning.

WinterPalm
01-07-2009, 03:29 PM
One's I like:

Stephan Kesting for BJJ

NySanDa vids for San Da

Steve Maxwell is a genius as far as I'm concerned when it comes to body movement/conditioning

Bas Rutten's stuff is all good...the workout is awesome!

huolung
01-08-2009, 05:19 AM
Dr. Yang. Definitely Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming....

David Jamieson
01-08-2009, 05:45 AM
straight blast gym stuff on mma

I got a whack of stuff from the 80's covering a few styles.
I haven't looked at the greater part of it though. :p

sanjuro_ronin
01-08-2009, 06:43 AM
Too many to mention, suffice to say that I have at least 1 DVD from virtually every MA system ever put to DVD.
Favs?
Hmmm....
Hard to say but I will say this, in terms of fighting instructions, people need to realize that if they are doing a DVD on fighting they MUST showed it used in fights.
The Dog Brothers say it best:
See it taught, See it fought.

AdrianK
01-08-2009, 03:07 PM
I agree with that, its unfortunate that it isn't the case in most videos. I have yet to see any videos of bak mei, south mantis or fujian white crane fight... I've seen a few good wing chun fights and a ton of bad ones..

SimonM
01-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Too many to mention, suffice to say that I have at least 1 DVD from virtually every MA system ever put to DVD.
Favs?
Hmmm....
Hard to say but I will say this, in terms of fighting instructions, people need to realize that if they are doing a DVD on fighting they MUST showed it used in fights.
The Dog Brothers say it best:
See it taught, See it fought.

I SO want to get involved with the Dog Brothers group. Do you know of any orgs in SW ontario?

lkfmdc
01-08-2009, 03:24 PM
My original plan for my DVD's was to show a clip of every technique being used in a live match, the editing project would just be so huge I had to forego that option

Lucas
01-08-2009, 03:29 PM
My original plan for my DVD's was to show a clip of every technique being used in a live match, the editing project would just be so huge I had to forego that option

there's always the future, right? :D

sanjuro_ronin
01-09-2009, 06:55 AM
I SO want to get involved with the Dog Brothers group. Do you know of any orgs in SW ontario?

Official ones you mean?
Or just were guys get together and beat each other unoffically?

sanjuro_ronin
01-09-2009, 06:56 AM

You don't have to go that far, only do it with stuff that may be "new" or "improvised" or to confirm or prove something.

Tainan Mantis
01-09-2009, 07:16 AM
suffice to say that I have at least 1 DVD from virtually every MA system ever put to DVD.

You don't have this one.

http://www.plumflowermantisboxing.com/products/DVD/the%20dvd.htm

-Four partner kicking drills as follows:
A. Three connected kicks
B. low pull round kick
C. sprouting kick with plucking hand
D. uprooting kick with collapsing step takedown and rolling hand escape
-Four partner hand drills of three punches each. A visual explanation how to "flow" from method to method.
A. Outer hanging hand
B. Inner adding punch
C. lift-hug-add a punch
D. rolling punch
-Four two man kao strikes. The first stage of arm pounding and takedowns.
-Three takedowns showing how to enter with the hands and finish with the takedown.
-appendix
A. solo form with technique names in English and Chinese on each picture in freeze frame style
B. the same for the partner form.

C. The class training two person drills in round robin fashion.

sanjuro_ronin
01-09-2009, 07:19 AM
You don't have this one.

http://www.plumflowermantisboxing.com/products/DVD/the%20dvd.htm

-Four partner kicking drills as follows:
A. Three connected kicks
B. low pull round kick
C. sprouting kick with plucking hand
D. uprooting kick with collapsing step takedown and rolling hand escape
-Four partner hand drills of three punches each. A visual explanation how to "flow" from method to method.
A. Outer hanging hand
B. Inner adding punch
C. lift-hug-add a punch
D. rolling punch
-Four two man kao strikes. The first stage of arm pounding and takedowns.
-Three takedowns showing how to enter with the hands and finish with the takedown.
-appendix
A. solo form with technique names in English and Chinese on each picture in freeze frame style
B. the same for the partner form.

C. The class training two person drills in round robin fashion.

True, I did say "virtually every.." :D
Nice T-shirt in that link, you can see the chi very well :D