PDA

View Full Version : Shen Wu Seminar Feb 09 - Seattle, WA.

Three Harmonies
01-07-2009, 08:14 PM
Three Harmonies Martial Arts Center Presents
A weekend workshop:

Shen Wu Martial Dynamics
W/ Tim Cartmell

February 7-8, 2009
Seattle, WA.
*Location will be available upon registration*

Whole Weekend: $135
Any Three Sessions: $125
Any Two Sessions: $105
Single Session: $65

*Tim will also be available for a limited number of private lessons*

Contact Jake Burroughs to register,
Scheduling of private lessons,
Or for more information:
206-941-3232
three_harmonies@hotmail.com
www.threeharmonies.com

Saturday February 7:
12:30 – 3:30pm Arm Drags transitioning into 2 on 1 grip
Grapplers, MMA fighters, and traditional martial artists alike will improve their grappling repertoire with these high percentage techniques. The focus of this seminar is in the set up to the arm drag, execution of the 2 on 1 grip, and following up with over 10 throws, takedowns, and submissions.

4:30 – 7:30pm Sun Bagua Intensive (Monkey & Phoenix)
The final two sets of the Sun Bagua system, the Monkey & the Phoenix, will be taught along with various applications.

Sunday February 8:
10am – 1pm Bagua Applied Combative Theory
Tim will offer various applications from striking to grappling from the Chinese Martial art of Bagua Zhang. Special emphasis will be placed on the key words of Bagua Zhang, and how to apply these principles with a modern street savvy approach.

2 – 4pm Foundational Hand Methods of the Internal Arts (Fan / Peng / Heng) ‘Overturning Palm’ from Bagua; ‘Ward Off’ from Taiji; and ‘Crossing Fist’ of Xing Yi are considered the foundational hand methods of the Internal Arts. Tim will explain in great detail (application based training) why the understanding of these fundamental principles is crucial to your development within the martial arts.

ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR:
Tim teaches fulltime in Garden Grove, CA. where he has combined the stand up fighting of Xing Yi, Bagua, and Taiji with the ground work of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu to create his Shen Wu curriculum of modern day combative’s. Winner of the Copa (7x), and Silver medalist in the 05 Mundials in Brazil, Tim is also an accomplished author, filmmaker, and translator of over a dozen books, instructional DVD’s, and videotapes.
For more info on Tim Cartmell, his products and what he teaches please visit: www.shenwu.com

woliveri
01-13-2009, 01:01 PM
wow, Tim is actually going to teach Traditional Chinese Internal Martial Arts?

cool. Wish I could go.

Three Harmonies
01-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Uhhh, Tim has always taught traditional martial arts. That is his whole background dude.

woliveri
01-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Not when I visited his school around 2001. He was into this composite BJJ thing and said most of his students weren't into the traditional scene.

I was living 30 minutes from his school and that's why I didn't train with him. I was wanted traditional. He did say he would teach privates but I didn't have that kind of cash.

dude :D:D:D

I guess the composite BJJ thing waned out.

Three Harmonies
01-14-2009, 12:39 AM
Sorry to hear you cannot afford private lessons. Duder.
Tim's Shen Wu curriculum is based on the principles inherent in the arts of Xing Yi, Taiji, Bagua, and the ground work of BJJ. His approach is self defense oriented, but Tim's whole background came directly from these "traditional" arts. Just because he does not teach forms, and talk about qi balls in a group class, does not make it any thing other than what it is.... Chinese based martial arts.
Perhaps you should have stuck around a bit longer and this would have been more evident.
As for anything "waning" out... Tim's competition record speaks for itself. His students just recently one several divisions in the California State Pankration tournament. Several of his guys also won the Copa last year in their divisions. I took 2nd in my first BJJ tourney last year.
What exactly did you mean by "waning" again?
Cheers,
Jake

woliveri
01-14-2009, 06:42 AM
Yeah, put your Qi Sword away dude... If Tim would teach traditional I would have stayed. I want (wanted) to learn a system. Not a pieces and parts BJJ soup. He could fully well teach a form and then teach the applications to that. Kinda like what you have outlined in his seminar. Anyway, looks like he's headed in that direction based on your seminar outline.

So what about his student's competition successes? I think it's great but not what I was looking for, got it?

Three Harmonies
01-14-2009, 09:17 AM
May not be what you want, but that does not mean anything is "waning." Got it?

Tim is not "heading" in that direction, he has always been there. Again he does not teach it in group classes because the interest is not there, plus these arts are better taught one on one, or in small groups. Tim would have been happy to teach you whatever style/form you wish in a private lesson (like I have done over the last 7 years with Taiji, Xing Yi, and Bagua).
There are certainly no "pieces" of BJJ soup. Not even sure what that means.

All is cool. Too broke to study privately, and not interested in training the tougher stuff in the group class. To each their own.

Jake

woliveri
01-14-2009, 09:45 AM
No problem. I found what I wanted in China. You're right, to each his own.

Tougher stuff.... :) That's funny.

Three Harmonies
01-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Still a handful of spots left. Less than two weeks until Tim is here!
Cheers
Jake :D

Three Harmonies
02-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Last call!

Chris-H
02-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Hope the seminars go great Jake!
Looks like it is going to be a great line up!

Best wishes!!
Chris Haynes
www.gaostylebaguausa.com

Three Harmonies
02-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Thanks bro! The info is always top notch, and it looks like a good turnout!
Cheers
Jake

SavvySavage
02-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Don't mean to start sh!t up but I don't think Wolveri was trying to diss Shen Wu. Why're you getting all defensive?

Also, what did you mean by "tougher stuff" MMA is tougher training than traditional martial arts? Please explain

Three Harmonies
02-10-2009, 03:11 PM
If you are not trying to "start **** up" then what is the purpose of your post? No one got "defensive." All I did was correct him. He was/is wrong about what Tim teaches.

And if I need to explain my "tougher" comment, then you obviously have not trained in both arena's, not to mention the comment was not directed towards you.
Thanks
Jake

SavvySavage
02-11-2009, 08:10 PM
I was in a college art class once. The professor asked the class, "What's the difference between warm and cool colors?"

A young woman answered," I kinda know but I kinda don't. There's a slight difference but I can't put it into words."

The professor shot back, "Well you obviously don't know then!".

I laughed my butt off.

I asked you what you meant by "the tougher stuff" and you didn't answer me. How is MMA type stuff tougher? Do you sweat more, get more brain cells killed, eat more raw eggs, break more bones, pull more muscles?

Tonight we sparred like mad and I broke my friend's ribs by accident(I feel like sh!t). I almost fainted from all the head shots I took. We do that ancient kung fu stuff. Is what you do honestly tougher than that? Please explain how instead of insulting traditional kung fu with general statements.

I know your comment wasn't directed at me but I would just like some clarification and I hope I'm not sounding too much like a d!ck(only a little bit like a d!ck).

Three Harmonies
02-11-2009, 08:44 PM
If you would like to carry on a conversation with me, please find another venue and stop trolling on this thread. Also I do not respond to people who do not use their real names.

Tough is not hurting others, or getting hurt. It sounds like you are not training very intelligently if you are getting hurt, and worse yet, you are hurting others! Not smart, nor cool.

Jake

SavvySavage
02-18-2009, 07:14 PM
Three haromines,

I've seen you on the other forum. As soon as you think someone is badmouthing your Tim Cartmell "Laoshi" you get defensive and become a jerk. You need to relax.

If I put up a post saying I didn't like a class at Shen Wu, which would be my right to do so, you'd jump in my face and turn it back on me. For the record I think Tim is a great teacher.

I know I'm right. You don't need to validate me.

woliveri
02-18-2009, 07:32 PM
Yes, it's clearly obvious 3H is not objective.. There's no way I'd go off like that if someone criticized my teacher. In fact, I welcome anyone for comment that might point out something I'm not seeing.

Three Harmonies
02-18-2009, 11:33 PM
No one went off. I simply corrected you.
No one offered an opinion of the class, they TOLD me what Tim teaches and how he teaches it. Said person was incorrect. Said person was corrected. Said / sad, person is not used to being incorrect and put in his place. Said person needs to get over it, and pick a fight elsewhere.

I am very open and cool with opinions. But what was offered was not opinion. Get your **** straight boys.
If you wish to continue this silly BS game, first of all nut up and use real names. Second of all take it elsewhere, start a new thread, do what you wish. But please quit derailing my posts of events.
Jake

Violent Designs
02-19-2009, 04:42 AM
Well all wolveri said was he wanted a more "pure" or "dedicated" approach to learning a Chinese neijia quan. Not a big deal.

Tim does teach in a MMA format and that's not what he was looking for.

No need to rip on someone for not having the green to pay for a ton of private lessons. I mean there are guys teaching neijia quan in a non-private format for less (hell, my Sihing teaches old school hardcore CMA for free !).

You DID get defensive and start freaking out. I am an outsider I hold nothing against you. I don't even practice these "neijia quan" to be exact.

I have talked to Tim before and look forward to training with him in the future as I personally (that is me, I, myself . . you get the idea) likes the idea of a MMA approach to Chinese systems. But that is me, and some other people are not like me.

There is no point in belittling people or saying they're *****ing out on "tougher" training. I've met MMA guys that would crush a lot of people and CMA guys that would do too (mostly MMA though). It's all in how we train and how we fight . . .

About getting hurt, I'll have to disagree with you. Hurt is part of training. We get hurt in the ring, on the street, the cage, etc. You have to learn how to take a beating as well as how to grit your teeth, dig deep, and pull through. You wanna last a 10-round boxing war? Learn how to take pain. Pain is a good teacher. Too much of ANYTHING is bad, but getting hurt is a necessary part of any legitimate martial art training.

Just stating my opinion. I think Tim's method is awesome. Just relax a little bit, though. It's just the internet.

Three Harmonies
02-19-2009, 11:06 AM
I am as relaxed as they come bro. You have never even met me.
To each their own. Again, all I did was correct someone on their mis-information about Tims curriculum.

Dale Dugas
02-19-2009, 03:29 PM
Brother,

Hope all is well in the great northwest.

Three Harmonies
02-19-2009, 10:56 PM
Tis very good! I heard you all are having a cold winter up yonder way!?!? Hope you are well!
Cheers
Jake

Violent Designs
02-20-2009, 05:04 AM
I am as relaxed as they come bro. You have never even met me.
To each their own. Again, all I did was correct someone on their mis-information about Tims curriculum.

Well maybe I'm wrong. Can't read emotions on the interweb.

I think Tim's curriculum is great. I wanna spar his students soon. :)

Hope alls well.

Three Harmonies
02-20-2009, 09:00 AM
No worries. Perhaps it seemed like I was more heated since homeboy was arguing what my teachers curriculum is, when it is questionable whether or not he has ever even stepped on the Shen Wu mat!!

You are always welcome at Shen Wu as long as you can check the ego at the door, and be cool with all!

Cheers
Jake

Violent Designs
02-23-2009, 02:29 AM
Well, we take it like it's a contact sport. You take some and you give some. Then you laugh it off at the end of the day and go out for a beer.

woliveri
02-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Jake, you should clearly know I was not on the Shen Wu mat since I said I only went there to check out the class... not questionable at all. sheezzz!!

Look, there are two approaches to internal arts (IMO), one that focuses on techniques for fighting and another which uses standing, circle walking, and forms as an approach. Each school will have a greater percentage of what they believe is important at the forefront of their cirriculum. I prefer the latter, Tim, it seems, prefers the former, keeping the so-called 'pure' arts in the background. So, when I saw the seminar you posted that acutally had Internal arts I was suprised.

That's all... By the masses, Tim knows what he's doing. I don't agree with his approach but many others do.

I hope you had a great seminar.