PDA

View Full Version : MA after 50

SPJ
01-14-2009, 07:50 AM
So when you turn 30 years of age;

you said that I have to slow down a bit.

When you turn 40 years old;

you said that may be I may work on some aspects more.

When you turn 50;

1. forget about it?

2. do's and don'ts

3. why bother?

4. focus on breathing exercise and relaxation exercise more

--

what do you think, and comment.

:confused::D:)

Pork Chop
01-14-2009, 08:08 AM
Depends how torn up your body is.
Someone who was moderately active from a young age until 50s, who took breaks from training at various stages of life, will be much more "fresh" physically and mentally than someone who went hard core from a young age, without stopping.

I've known people who started young and were burned out in their 20s.
I've known other people who didn't start till their late 30s, early 40s and defied the stereotype of the fighter over 34 with no reflexes, speed, or stamina.

Wear and tear means something; especially when the brain's involved, which is why it's important to take care of your health.
Balancing progress & pushing yourself with overtraining & burn out is a fine art.

Ray Pina
01-14-2009, 09:19 AM
34.... going harder than ever. Though recovery takes a bit longer.... but maybe because that's what I've been told all my life.

I see plenty of 40 year olds surfing at a high-level, fighting at a high level.

Plenty of 50 and 60 year olds still surfing.

TenTigers
01-14-2009, 09:28 AM
I still spar, and roll, although now, I choose my trainning partners more wisely. We have a small group who have around 30 years experience each. We know how to raise and lower the intensity. We know how to throw safely, choke safely, and lock safely.
It still takes me till Wednesday to recover from Sunday;s practice!

I'm 51.
I know I am not training for the cage, for the ring, and probably won't be getting into many fights in bars. I can protect myself. The chances of a Master starting a fight with me is probably pretty slim.
I train to develop myself.
I train to reach higher and higher skill levels and greater understanding of Gung-Fu.
I train, so I can be a better teacher for my students.
I train because it's fun.

BoulderDawg
01-14-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm glad I started a little later in life. Most of the 40/50 somethings in our school started in their 30s. I've seen younger students come into our program and for a year or so they are at the school every time the door is open just training like crazy then, all of a sydden, they just disappear. I think being an older student gives you a little insight into paciing yourself and not burning out.

unyma
01-14-2009, 10:57 AM
I'll be 47 in a few months and I'm certainly not physically the same as I was 20 years ago. That doesn't mean my training is any less. I know I'm not as fast or as strong so I have to be smarter, more accurate, more efficient. My technique has to be better because gross abilities are less. My timing has to be improved. Also because my body is worn down my body mechanics have to be good. The better the mechanics the less I'm trying to force my body to do things incorrectly. Training is just as good as it was it's just the focus shifts a bit. My 2 cents.

TenTigers
01-14-2009, 11:15 AM
I'll be 47 in a few months and I'm certainly not physically the same as I was 20 years ago.
My timing has to be improved.
my body mechanics have to be good. The better the mechanics the less I'm trying to force my body to do things incorrectly.
Training is just as good as it was it's just the focus shifts a bit. My 2 cents.

I am stronger and faster than I was ten years ago.
and it is due to the above.
My timing is better, so instead of blocking the strike, I intercept the intent and attack simultaneously.
By understanding my structure, I am able to generate far more power.
By training the proper power generation and development techniques (lien gung) of my system, I am much stronger.
As your body declines, instead of slowing down, you need to increase your activity. This means more resistance exercise, more cardio, and especially more flexibility.

David Jamieson
01-14-2009, 11:37 AM
I am 45 in 2 months, I still practice with iron rings, still do intense heavy bag workouts, occasional sparring sessions, run every day, lift every second day and have a fairly vigorous exercise routine using sil lum martial arts.

My training partner is 51 and trains the same way as I do.
He trains tai chi as his soft stuff, I train yoga as mine, we share.

There is no need to make less vigour in your routines.
After so many years it should be somewhat refined and you should maintain good strength in bone and muscle so that you don't hurt yourself.

Do your basics, do your attribute development! lol.

50 can be like 30 for a martial artist with the right focus.
:)

YouKnowWho
01-14-2009, 12:35 PM
As your body declines, instead of slowing down, you need to increase your activity. This means more resistance exercise, more cardio, and especially more flexibility.
It's very important to have a young heart. If you still train your tornado kick, spin back kick, jumping front kick, and flying side kick (if you don't hear your hip joint noise), you are still young even if you are 80 years old.

I start to spend more time on standing on one leg, another leg points straight up and pointing to the sky, and make my head to bend downward to touch my standing leg. I believe if I can keep my body in that posture, my balance, flexibility, and leg strength will be maintained and my body aging process will slow down.

Oso
01-14-2009, 03:49 PM
and don't forget to order your set of longevity rings out of this months issue of KFM!!!!:)

Water Dragon
01-14-2009, 04:07 PM
My Sensei's 62 and still going strong. He was also an International Judo champion back in the 60's and 70's, and has been training Judo competetively since he was a kid. He may be the exception to the rule, but it can be done.

I'm 35 now, and I pay a helluva lot more attention to stretching, sleep and diet, and I stay sore longer, but I'm still training hard.

I think the trick is to just not quit.

TenTigers
01-15-2009, 03:57 PM
my Sifu is in his seventies. When he locks me, it is still with an iron grip. He is robust and energetic. Sure, I know he can't do everything he used to, but probably due to his training in Dai Sing Pek Kwar, as well as Seut Gohk, he is very limber and tough as nails.
I only hope that when I am his age I have that kind of vitality.
I look forward to the weekends when I see him..
....with dread.

cranky old man
01-15-2009, 04:31 PM
l am 74 this year ,when you get older you dont overdo anything . practice becomes habit and to keep you health l have freinds who are older than me in chinatown who still teach and practice . it will give imo a gift young people take for granted good health. l still teach my last one whos 51 that makes it fun .

Ray Pina
01-16-2009, 08:45 AM
I'll be 47 in a few months and I'm certainly not physically the same as I was 20 years ago. That doesn't mean my training is any less. I know I'm not as fast or as strong so I have to be smarter, more accurate, more efficient. My technique has to be better because gross abilities are less. My timing has to be improved. Also because my body is worn down my body mechanics have to be good. The better the mechanics the less I'm trying to force my body to do things incorrectly. Training is just as good as it was it's just the focus shifts a bit. My 2 cents.

Great post.

Ray Pina
01-16-2009, 08:48 AM
I start to spend more time on standing on one leg, another leg points straight up and pointing to the sky, and make my head to bend downward to touch my standing leg. I believe if I can keep my body in that posture, my balance, flexibility, and leg strength will be maintained and my body aging process will slow down.

Super impressive for any age. How old are you?

sanjuro_ronin
01-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Its not the age of the car, its the mileage on the engine.

AJM
01-16-2009, 10:39 AM
That was good. And how carefully it was broken in.

sanjuro_ronin
01-16-2009, 12:52 PM
That was good. And how carefully it was broken in.

And oil changes, don't forget the lube jobs.
:D

m1k3
01-16-2009, 01:09 PM
I'm 55 and I have been doing BJJ for about 15 months and I did some wing chun before that.

I got started in MA because when I was 52 I was fat, out of shape and diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I was put on 3 different pills to control it.

I have lost over 60 lbs, got back into weight lifting and love rolling. I control my diabetes with diet and exercise and can hold my own when rolling at class.

The main thing I notice is I have to give myself time to recover. I go to class twice a week and workout on my own the other days. I tried going more often but the small nagging injuries started to crop up and took the fun out of the class.

I used to be the biggest guy in my class (currently 6'1'' and 240) but we now have 3 new students all over 300 lbs. I've only met and rolled with 2 of them so far. One is a kid of 45 and the other is an 18 yo HS football player. I'm ok with my standing grappling with him but if he gets side control I'm doomed.

Too much strength, speed and youth! I can hold my own in strenght but as for the rest....oh well.:D

The main thing is to enjoy yourself and keep pushing.

RickMatz
01-16-2009, 07:08 PM
As a younger man, I trained for a long time in Yoshinkan aikido. The urgency of everyday life prevented me from continuing: building a career, raising kids, and eventually caring for an aging parent.

I suppose I could have continued training, but not the way I wanted. If I couldn't do it "right", then I would just wait until my life circumstances changed.

My elderly parents passed away, my kids grew and I found I had more time on my hands. I decided not to go back to aikido. I couldn't move the way I used to, and wanted to keep my memories of that special time in my life intact. I also didn't want to train in something where I absolutely required a partner, or special equipment or location (mats).

I settled on Wu Family Style Taijiquan. That was about a year and a half ago, when I wasn't quite 49 yet. I find it intellectually engaging enough to motivate me to continue to practice well into my dotterage.

I feel great. My blood pressure, cholesterol, etc., and the best they've been in many years. My mind is clear and I feel strong.

DeHui702
01-17-2009, 08:58 PM
36 is my big year of self-awareness. I took a 3 year hiatus from pretty much everything to become a Buddhist disciple/monk and that of course meant, I did zero training. I was training with a Shaolin monk before I did this and I was at a cool 183lbs. Coming back after the break I was 232lb. I've been back in training for 7 months roughly and the weight isn't just melting as I expected. I actually have to watch what I put in my mouth and be consistent. My flexibility is finally returning and I'm starting to feel that natural and relaxed readiness again, but if I take a week or 7 day vacation, that goes away quickly if I'm not doing something each day to maintain.

In other words, at 36 I've learned I can't take breaks.

David Jamieson
01-19-2009, 10:52 AM
36 is my big year of self-awareness. I took a 3 year hiatus from pretty much everything to become a Buddhist disciple/monk and that of course meant, I did zero training. I was training with a Shaolin monk before I did this and I was at a cool 183lbs. Coming back after the break I was 232lb. I've been back in training for 7 months roughly and the weight isn't just melting as I expected. I actually have to watch what I put in my mouth and be consistent. My flexibility is finally returning and I'm starting to feel that natural and relaxed readiness again, but if I take a week or 7 day vacation, that goes away quickly if I'm not doing something each day to maintain.

In other words, at 36 I've learned I can't take breaks.

you have to take breaks or what you're building won't have a chance to.

rest is the builder, training is the architect.

you probably need to think about your nutrition by the sounds of it.

important foods that you need to be friends with:

Salmon, Tofu, almonds, pine nuts, spinach, oranges, blueberries, oatmeal. (these are the most nutritional)

stay away from high carbs and absolutely say no to snack foods and fizzy drinks. You don't want any of that inside you whatsoever. no coke, no pepsi, no pop!!!

no processed flour, no processed sugar, no corn syrup based sweetener foods.

eat only whole foods, drink a lot of water, exercise vigorously for at least 1 hour a day 6 days a week. you will lose that weight.

nutrition is super important though. it's also the most difficult part of the equation to get on board with. there is way to much crap on the shelves in the stores these days. frankly, you probably shouldn't eat better than 80% of what's in your average store if you are serious about your health and condition. :)

Reverend Tap
01-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Salmon, Tofu, almonds, pine nuts, spinach, oranges, blueberries, oatmeal. (these are the most nutritional)

stay away from high carbs and absolutely say no to snack foods and fizzy drinks. You don't want any of that inside you whatsoever. no coke, no pepsi, no pop!!!

eat only whole foods, drink a lot of water, exercise vigorously for at least 1 hour a day 6 days a week.

That sounds a lot like the detox diet I was on a while back (though my diet was even more restrictive; no grain products, sugar, meat, or preservatives/additives at all).

I can verify, you will lose weight eating like that. I was on the diet for other reasons, but within a week I had slimmed down noticeably (wasn't heavy by any stretch before, but had a little extra squish in the stomach). Just as a forewarning, though, I also (and this is, from what I hear, pretty normal for such diets) felt pretty ill for the first few days. After that I felt fine, and had more energy than usual, but those first few days felt rather akin to going through withdrawal symptoms.

SIFU RON
02-01-2009, 09:41 AM
my respect to all of us that have dedicated our lives to Martail Arts, all styles of Martail Arts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0siR1vgZnYg

YouKnowWho
02-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Super impressive for any age. How old are you?
61. Not too young and not too old.

Coming back after the break I was 232lb ...at 36.
I did my 1st Marathon when I was 40 years old. When I stood in front of a mirror, I saw that my body had shrinked so much that I couldn't even recognize myself.

I then tried my 1st triathlon when I was 42 but I failed on my swimming speed (I can't use my free style to finish the whole 2.4 miles and my frog style was not fast enough). So if you are just 36, you should have nothing to worry about.

SIFU RON
02-02-2009, 03:12 AM
I am 71- I started Jiu Jitsu ( 1955) at age 17 for 3 years with Sensei Don Anger- then Kung Fu (1958) for 28 yeas with Sifu Ark Wong. ( Southern California).

Tell me cranky old man whats you background ? Its unusual for us old KF guys to come out and talk. Your 74 and I'm 71 you think we might be the last of a dying breed ? ;)

xcakid
02-02-2009, 11:12 AM
I'll be 41 this year. I gotta say, there is a bit of irony in my martial arts career.

As a guy in his late teens and early 20's I was all about fighting. Loved the sparring class. Competed in Sanda quite a bit, although I was only average at it. I always laughed at the guys doing forms. Referred to them as forms dancers, especially the contemporary wushu guys.

After taking a 12 yrs hiatus from MA and returning to it 2 yrs ago. I can now appreciate forms and see how it can help you in your fighting. I can now appreciate how a proper stance can increase your hitting power. I appreciate learning the applications wthin the forms.

Now my competing involveds mostly forms. I have become a forms dancers. All traditional forms mind you. Can't do that contemporay stuff anymore. I still spar in class, and in some competitions.

Also found that I am a better coach these days. I don't get frustrated as much when a student doesn't get it.

hungheikwan
02-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Now here's a thread dear to my 51-year-old heart.

Anyway, my doctor tells me that I've got tendonitis in my right leg ( which is doctor-talk for "it hurts to jump around on my right leg" ). If I stretch, then do some lunges across the floor, it alleviates the discomfort somewhat, but afterwards it stiffens up. Can anyone recommend a way to get past this?

Lokhopkuen
02-06-2009, 05:41 PM
my respect to all of us that have dedicated our lives to Martail Arts, all styles of Martail Arts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0siR1vgZnYg

That's Awesome!

Lokhopkuen
02-06-2009, 05:51 PM
I am 71- I started Jiu Jitsu ( 1955) at age 17 for 3 years with Sensei Don Anger- then Kung Fu (1958) for 28 yeas with Sifu Ark Wong. ( Southern California).

Tell me cranky old man whats you background ? Its unusual for us old KF guys to come out and talk. Your 74 and I'm 71 you think we might be the last of a dying breed ? ;)

You guys are inspiration! I'm 50.5 and still practicing everyday as little or as much as I feel like and teach about 5 days per week. I have 5 sons and they are in various stages of being active or "screw you dad I don't have to practice anymore"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gifGjY7IEbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b5t7tAPEKM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMv3O9_rvMg

I've heard kung fu is really good for the legs as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IhV3SrP10g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFLqrb14uQI

YouKnowWho
02-06-2009, 05:57 PM
When you get old, it's important to be able to maintain your "knock down power" because your endurance, speed, flexibility will deteriorate day by day. You no longer be able to box 15 rounds and you can only hope that you can knock your opponent down in the 1st round (if you need).

Hardwork108
02-06-2009, 08:09 PM
So when you turn 30 years of age;

you said that I have to slow down a bit.

When you turn 40 years old;

you said that may be I may work on some aspects more.

When you turn 50;

1. forget about it?

2. do's and don'ts

3. why bother?

4. focus on breathing exercise and relaxation exercise more

--

what do you think, and comment.

:confused::D:)

Simple.

My idea of kung fu training is that it is forever. That is the way I was taught by my sifu and I have met other sifus (real ones and not the McDonald´s variety) who have also said the same.

So when one starts his training it is done with the health aspects in mind as not to overstrain the body in ways that will cause injury and chronic problems later in life.

Take care.:)

GreenCloudCLF
02-06-2009, 10:00 PM
When you get old, it's important to be able to maintain your "knock down power" because your endurance, speed, flexibility will deteriorate day by day. You no longer be able to box 15 rounds and you can only hope that you can knock your opponent down in the 1st round (if you need).

This quote explains it all:

You know all there is to know about fighting, so there's no sense us going down that same old road again. To beat this guy, you need speed - you don't have it. And your knees can't take the pounding, so hard running is out. And you got arthritis in your neck, and you've got calcium deposits on most of your joints, so sparring is out. So, what we'll be calling on is good ol’ fashion blunt force trauma. Horsepower. Heavy-duty, cast-iron, piledriving punches that will have to hurt so much they'll rattle his ancestors. Every time you hit him with a shot, it's gotta feel like he tried kissing the express train. Yeah! Let's start building some hurtin' bombs!

Lokhopkuen
02-07-2009, 02:42 AM
This quote explains it all:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouKnowWho

In many cases I'd agree but I find with myself I've maintained the "machine" to the point where my ranges of mobility in both upper and lower gates is pretty high. My basic stances in middle or low frame come naturally since I've cultivated a certain level of intimacy with the associated geometry. There is little or no struggle if say the horse stance (or any stance) is a home space you live in and not a foreign place to visit. I feel the whole supposition that you are supposed to be falling apart by a certain age is very exaggerated. My Doctor says my ACL on one leg is gone but I ease in and out stance harmonized with timing and oportunity when that requirement arrises in combat or in practicing traditional form or drilling sequences. Don't get me wrong 'cause depending on the weather or mood somedays are better than others but consistent daily practices produces solid tendon-muscular connection. My teacher is 10-15 years my senior and he is stronger and more flexible than I am. He says it's not that he can't do certain techniques, it's just that he doesn't do certain ones anymore.

Knock down power is a given if you are a seasoned practitioner and you have a good feel for your "target ranges". I think what is most important for an aging student of combative arts is defensive skills, durability (iron shirt/ golden bell), mobility/ agility (not athletics but the wherewithal to know when to be and when not to be.) and not so much having the ability to knock the crap out of someone but instead to have the ability to control the opponents movements. If your defensive skills are spot on and of second nature you become very hard to hit. At this point you ward and redirect until opportunity presents it's self and deliver the left handed pinky point death touch. Minimizing power usage and maximizing alignment and geometry.:D

Quote:
You know all there is to know about fighting, so there's no sense us going down that same old road again. To beat this guy, you need speed - you don't have it. And your knees can't take the pounding, so hard running is out. And you got arthritis in your neck, and you've got calcium deposits on most of your joints, so sparring is out. So, what we'll be calling on is good ol’ fashion blunt force trauma. Horsepower. Heavy-duty, cast-iron, piledriving punches that will have to hurt so much they'll rattle his ancestors. Every time you hit him with a shot, it's gotta feel like he tried kissing the express train. Yeah! Let's start building some hurtin' bombs!
[/QUOTE]

SPJ
01-31-2010, 09:11 AM
Most people after 50 may be thinking more about health and fitness.

--

bring the thread back, relevant to Van Damm thread.

mickey
01-31-2010, 09:34 AM
Greetings,

I f@RT dust.

The advice that I give to myself is to throw away the years. I have the present: NOW. How do I make the best of it? I still enjoy learning with great passion. And I no longer believe in the end of the road. Each day is an eternal beginning.

I remember sitting down at my computer one day after a serious workout. My shoulder sock made this crunching sound. I looked at it and said "what the.. f--k" and then started laughing.

More attention is paid to how I nourish since I realize that there are two things that are destroying Americans: dehydration and malnutrition. Processed foods never did it for us and never will. And the water that is available, even the stuff you can buy, can be so hard or dead, that you are just going through the motions when you are supposed to be hydrating yourself.

mickey

TenTigers
01-31-2010, 10:20 AM
can't stress enough-water,good nutrition,exercise and good sleep. Sleep is when the body does all its repair work, water allows the system to work-digestion, lubrication, skin, everything. Nutrition-plenty of fresh food, fruits, vegies, whole grains, did I mention water? Exercise-if you rest, you rust. Doesn't matter how you count calories, if you are not MOVING, you are deteriorating, your metabolism is at a standstill, and your brain isn't fucntioning at optimum capability.
Fresh air, sunlight, and don't forget to laugh.
When you lose your sense of humor is when you really age.
When you lose your sense of wonder and appreciation is when you are old.

David Jamieson
01-31-2010, 01:12 PM
Drink more water, get more sleep, keep your back straight and your ass puckered.

Should be fine.

:p

Hardwork108
01-31-2010, 01:12 PM
Great advice.

can't stress enough-water,good nutrition,exercise and good sleep. Sleep is when the body does all its repair work, water allows the system to work-digestion, lubrication, skin, everything. Nutrition-plenty of fresh food, fruits, vegies, whole grains, did I mention water? Exercise-if you rest, you rust. Doesn't matter how you count calories, if you are not MOVING, you are deteriorating, your metabolism is at a standstill, and your brain isn't functioning at optimum capability.

Very true. However, it is sometimes difficult to get your hands on good honest food. Where I live now things are not too bad, but when I lived in London it seemed that everything was laced with the poison known as Aspartame; the tap water was Fluoridated (I wouldn't even use that liquid to make tea, coffee or even soup); and even the simplest of sweet desert had god knows how many artificial additives and colorings and so on.

One wonders what the so called leaders/governments that are apparently "elected":rolleyes: by the people, are going to do to protect the same people. Oh, apparently we hear that the rates of diabetis, cancer and heart attacks are up....LOL

Fresh air, sunlight,
Thankfully I live in a tropical city and the air quality is pretty good as well.

and don't forget to laugh.

Hey, the cross trainer "kung fu-ists" in this forum and their "decades of experience", provide plenty of laughs for me. :D

When you lose your sense of humor is when you really age.
That is so very true. You sometimes see some people that seem to never laugh and it is written all over their faces. If they are young then they will be looking older than the age they are. And if they are old then they will look almost evil.

When you lose your sense of wonder and appreciation is when you are old.
I saw that quality in mmy grand father who lived to the age of 102. You knew that he would take a plane and fly the world with you if his physical capabilities had allowed him.

I would just add that sensible and intelligent kung fu training will not only prolong one's training days but also one's health and probably life span, but then you knew that already.:D

mickey
01-31-2010, 01:43 PM
Hardwork108,

TenTigers practically re wrote my post and you are giving him props???

SHEEEESH!!!

mickey

Hardwork108
01-31-2010, 01:51 PM
Hardwork108,

TenTigers practically re wrote my post and you are giving him props???

SHEEEESH!!!

mickey

Whoops :o

Sorry Mickey. I read your post too. Great points!:)

And yes one cannot over emphasis the importance of drinking plenty of fresh water throughout the day. I am a true believer in that.:)

mawali
01-31-2010, 03:46 PM
If one was training 'gong' as part of practice, then one can continue until one's name was called. Two of my teachers died in their 90's and one in their 40's.
May main teacher is in his 70's and my father is 86!

SIFU RON
01-31-2010, 04:53 PM
The thoughts posted are good. I'm 71 and have students that are in their 80's. A few started with me 10 years ago when they were in the 60's and 70's and had no experience in M/A of any kind.

Kung Fu has a major advantage over the other styles of M/A - heath - when we are young we mostly don't relate to the health aspect unlesss we are injured. As I aged KF for health became part of me. The exercise is remarkable for health. I don't teach tradional Tai Chi forms, I teach traditional KF - soft and hard combined together according to ones ability.

There are lots of people like me around, many on this forum, I wish they would speak more often, maybe they feel somewhat uncomforatble talking with the young kids ( in their 50's :D ) on the forum.

Diet and exercise are the keys to living a longer and better life, so guys eat lots of " snips, snails, and puppy dog tails " and run your butts off LOL

My best to all

Ron

Blacktiger
01-31-2010, 05:54 PM
Just keep it simple and keep turning up :)

kfson
01-31-2010, 07:49 PM
I am realizing more and more as I age that flexibility is the most important physical aspect. Why? Because so many injuries can be averted. It keeps you in the game, really.

How do I know. For years I was mainly interested in blinding speed and strength. But the lack of flexibility associated with pure strength training always invited injury. I took off about 10 years because of family health. When I started again, I decided to be a darn good yogi and MA.

TenTigers
02-01-2010, 06:58 AM
sorry Mickey. I didn't read your post thoroughly.
you may want to work on that sense of humour though,
ya crotchety old F@rt!:p

mickey
02-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Hi TenTigers,

That was my sense of humour.:)

mickey

TenTigers
02-01-2010, 09:09 AM
LOL if you're ever in my neck of the woods, we'll have to get together for drinks. Prune Juice n'Vodka's on me!

sanjuro_ronin
02-01-2010, 09:10 AM
LOL if you're ever in my neck of the woods, we'll have to get together for drinks. Prune Juice n'Vodka's on me!

Ah dude....:(

mickey
02-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Vodka with prune juice???

In my book that is called a "A Hit and Run."

mickey

sanjuro_ronin
02-01-2010, 09:27 AM
Vodka with prune juice???

In my book that is called a "A Hit and Run."

mickey

BBBWWAHHHHH !!!!
*rimshot*

solo1
02-01-2010, 09:39 AM
I was a long distance runner for years. Started in my 20s and really ramped up the training and distance in my 30s, I stopped running altogether after knee surgery about 4 years ago. The years of being fit and obsessive about mileage diet etc gave me an advantage, especially being in touch with what the body was going thru. That being said I started Kung Fu about 18 months ago at 48 years old, ill be fifty in a few months. It was the best decision i ever made. The flexibility increases and new movements are wonderful i dont have the stamina i had when running but a rowing machine is helping that cause. I would say that if you take it slowly and forget trying to keep up with students half your age your going to be fine. It is helpful that have a very cool Master who doesnt cut me any slack but gets it ,if i have a steeper learning curve on certain postures and kicks. Double crescents took me forever to learn but in time i got them. do your self a solid favor study kung fu you will not only gain a superior body but the other benefits are priceless, without question the best thing I have ever done and wish I had started 20 years ago.

SteveLau
02-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Hi, I am of the same age as TenTiger --- 51.

IMHO, train for intensity rather than endurance in old age is the go. The goal is always to achieve good health and fun. Yep, I have accumulated multiple muscle injuries over the years. Most of them have healed or are not much problem to me. Aging gracefully is certainly possible. MA training is one way to help us to do so.

Have a prosperous year of the Tiger

KC
Hong Kong

SteveLau
02-07-2010, 11:59 PM
Hi, I am of the same age as TenTiger --- 51.

IMHO, train for intensity rather than endurance in old age is the go. The goal is always to achieve good health and fun. My training schedule is still three times per week with moderate to high intensity workout. Training differently in different ages of our life is good. I have only just started to reduce the total training volume, duration each time, and frequency since last year. Yep, I have accumulated multiple muscle injuries over the years. Most of them have healed or are not much problem to me.

The bottom line is - aging gracefully is certainly possible. MA training is one way to help us to do so.

Have a prosperous year of the Tiger

KC
Hong Kong

SIFU RON
02-08-2010, 11:40 AM
well put Solo1 and SteveLau,

our injuries never leave us , the older we get the more we are reminded of them.
KF keeps us in better health, we can live a more active life because of our practice.

My best to U

Ron

Mr Punch
02-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Well, I'm only 38 but, with over half my life in martial arts, badly trained, having squandered my previously incredible flexiibility, durability and natural athleticism, I until recently had the body of one of the not-so-healthy 50 year-olds... :eek:...

As most of you probably know by now, I have had some very debilitating spinal injuries (108 variations on herniated discs anyone?!) but I'm just getting back into shape with my second year of near daily weightlifting and yoga.

I've got to say: I didn't squander my body out of pride or a feeling of invincibility (that I could recognise anyway), just in that I didn't stretch enough or in the right ways, and didn't pay enough attention to nutrition (I had a naturally healthy diet in being a vegetarian and then vegan - in terms of getting enough veggies and not eating junk, but wasn't getting enough protein, aminos or oils... and ignored the rather important timing of meals with regards to training)... ignorance basically.

So, as many have said:

1) Water, water and more water.
2) No carbonated sodas.
3) Good food, little and often. Empty carbs immediately after training if at all; plenty of amino acid supps for the over 35s (in fact why wait to start?); plenty of the right oils for the over 35s; big piles of veg; plenty of oily fish; pulses... snack on walnuts, fruit, protein...
4) Stretch: start with dynamic stretching within your normal ROM - no load-bearing static stretches or ballistic stretches (I'm a Kurz 'Scientific Stretching' enthusiast).
5) Warm-down.
6) DO STUFF! If your job is sitting at a computer, get up and walk, learn some seated yoga sequences, go for a stretch/form break when others would go for their cigarette break, if there's a choice between having someone get you something and getting it yourself, get it yourself! In short: MOVE!

BTW, YKW's advice on hitting like a steam train is good... as is maintaining flexibility: through rigorous scientific flexibility training you can improve your stopping power too.

Oh, and BTW... a heartening tale. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/feb/09/george-kerr-judo-10th-dan)

Hardwork108
02-09-2010, 12:32 AM
Well, I'm only 38 but, with over half my life in martial arts, badly trained, having squandered my previously incredible flexiibility, durability and natural athleticism, I until recently had the body of one of the not-so-healthy 50 year-olds... :eek:...

As most of you probably know by now, I have had some very debilitating spinal injuries (108 variations on herniated discs anyone?!) but I'm just getting back into shape with my second year of near daily weightlifting and yoga.

I've got to say: I didn't squander my body out of pride or a feeling of invincibility (that I could recognise anyway), just in that I didn't stretch enough or in the right ways, and didn't pay enough attention to nutrition (I had a naturally healthy diet in being a vegetarian and then vegan - in terms of getting enough veggies and not eating junk, but wasn't getting enough protein, aminos or oils... and ignored the rather important timing of meals with regards to training)... ignorance basically.

So, as many have said:

1) Water, water and more water.
2) No carbonated sodas.
3) Good food, little and often. Empty carbs immediately after training if at all; plenty of amino acid supps for the over 35s (in fact why wait to start?); plenty of the right oils for the over 35s; big piles of veg; plenty of oily fish; pulses... snack on walnuts, fruit, protein...
4) Stretch: start with dynamic stretching within your normal ROM - no load-bearing static stretches or ballistic stretches (I'm a Kurz 'Scientific Stretching' enthusiast).
5) Warm-down.
6) DO STUFF! If your job is sitting at a computer, get up and walk, learn some seated yoga sequences, go for a stretch/form break when others would go for their cigarette break, if there's a choice between having someone get you something and getting it yourself, get it yourself! In short: MOVE!

BTW, YKW's advice on hitting like a steam train is good... as is maintaining flexibility: through rigorous scientific flexibility training you can improve your stopping power too.

Oh, and BTW... a heartening tale. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/feb/09/george-kerr-judo-10th-dan)

Sorry about your condition and I hope that you work your way to great health. By the way, this being a TCMA forum and so on, I will recommend you to see a qualified qigong master, if you can find one where you live. Some of those exercises can do you a lot of good.:)

TaichiMantis
02-09-2010, 05:59 AM
Well, I turn 50 on the 17th and am having ACL reconstruction surgery this Friday. The week before Christmas we were practicing takedowns and a guy got me too high up on the leg and took out my knee. We were on mats and I was "too rooted". Both the assistant instructor and I heard the pop.

I was able to get the swelling down and have been attending tai chi class up until surgery. However, no stability in the knee for mantis class. On the bright side, I've gotten a new jian and am learning the techniques I will be using in my new form. On the bummer side, no mantis training for maybe up to six months (just when it was getting fun with techniques!). It is my goal to be able to participate in our annual class demo at the Grand Rapids Arts Festival in June.

The ortho doc. who evaluated me said that many people live the rest of their lives without their ACL. I laughed and said "you don't know me very well". After I told him my interests, he referred me to the best knee guy in the practice. Dr. Jabara looks about 10 years younger than me, but he's a skier so can relate. He just got back from Haiti, dealing with lots of limb trauma there. So really, I don't have it that bad and I know I willl be in good hands. ;)

Would love to hear any rehab stories from other ACL victims...:D

SteveLau
02-10-2010, 08:52 PM
TaichiMantis, wish you good luck and get well soon.

I started side-split leg stretch in 2002, and achieved full split in five months. But it was set back by a first in my life hamstrings injury. I achieved full side split again in late 2009 after going through great difficulty.

Sometimes, sport experts' advice is good and should be taken. Stretch our lower back and hamstrings every day if possible, even when we are not carrying injuries. Such practice will help us in good shape. It is easy to carry out, and worth to do.

Regards,

KC
Hong Kong

Yum Cha
02-11-2010, 12:32 AM
I'm just 52. I do lots of stretching warm ups. I have a routine of mixed yoga, pilates and hei gung, then I move into specific Pak Mei stretching which is more agressive, then into forms and fighting drills.

A little bit often is better than a heap occasionally. Sometimes I just do the 45 minutes of stretching. instead of trying to get in some forms work. Thing is, we do forms like wind sprints, so you just don't want to do them cold.

Warm down is important too.

I ruptured an achilles tendon maybe 15 years ago shooting hoops, and the lower back can give me grief sometimes, but, knock on wood, it all works OK still, and once I get rolling, I can hang with the little brothers well enough.

I have watched my speed fade, but experience makes up for it, so far, at least.

goju
02-11-2010, 01:37 AM
this thread makes me glad im so young LOL:D

David Jamieson
02-11-2010, 05:57 AM
I'm 46 and my training partner is 51.

We still train Sil Lum with vigour and vim.

The majority of guys our age are developing bellies and watching tv.

Though this is less so these days as more guys are getting into shape after 40.

It's probably a lot better to be in an continuation cycle than having to pick up where you left off at 29. :p

the transition to daily routine of physical activity can be difficult when you have been sedate for too long.

Dragonzbane76
02-11-2010, 06:14 AM
yeah the longer you are at rest the harder it is to move after. People getting into working out a lot of times experience the first 2 weeks as a living 'hell' on the body. Given the fact that your body is trying to adjust it's a given. But most people don't understand that. I work out 2-3 hours a day 5 days a week (at the gym not including MA's workout). people say, 'how can you do that?' Well i've had a routine doing it for the last 20 years. My body actually thrives on doing it. If I don't do it I become grumpy and sluggish. The routine is the important thing. Once you fix one into your life you become centered around it.

SteveLau
02-12-2010, 01:32 AM
There has been statistics of people who dropped dead while doing physical exercises locally in the last ten years. From the media coverage, I notice there are some commonalities in these cases.

- They are not old people
- They are atheletes
- Some have previous serious disease which might has lingering effect on them
- These deaths all occurred during light to medium intensity exercises like
walking, hiking, etc.

By atheletes, I mean they exercise regularly. Some of them are current or ex-uniform people like fire service officer, police. Their age ranges from 32 to 53. None of them is MA student though. Perhaps the old practice has some virtues. In tradition CMA, students study medicine and MA skill at the same time. Armed with the knowledge of both subjects, they know their physical condition well as to the do's and don'ts. So I guess in order for we to enjoy MA training after 50, or ever live beyond 50, please take good care of our health.

Regards,

KC
Hong Kong

SPJ
02-12-2010, 08:46 AM
everything in moderation

food, drink, sex and MA practice

sudden death syndromes

there are always pre-existing factors--

:eek:

Yum Cha
02-12-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm really big into maintaining range of motion. Keeping those limits extended.

Looseness and faat ging are the key dynamics I train. My injuries come from having better technique than physique... I have to maintain those outer limits to stay fit.

I'm not interested in building muscle any more, more in tightening it up and reducing it before it turns to jelly. I chase speed like a 22 year old beauty, knowing I'm never going there again, but not giving up the pursuit.

My cardio is all anaerobic, so I look at recovery time and durability.

Frost
02-12-2010, 03:13 PM
I'm really big into maintaining range of motion. Keeping those limits extended.

Looseness and faat ging are the key dynamics I train. My injuries come from having better technique than physique... I have to maintain those outer limits to stay fit.

I'm not interested in building muscle any more, more in tightening it up and reducing it before it turns to jelly. I chase speed like a 22 year old beauty, knowing I'm never going there again, but not giving up the pursuit.

My cardio is all anaerobic, so I look at recovery time and durability.

i'd look at including some aerobic training, if for nothing other than helping with recovery and improvements in cardiac output

Yum Cha
02-12-2010, 04:10 PM
i'd look at including some aerobic training, if for nothing other than helping with recovery and improvements in cardiac output

Yea, I know you're right. I walk for an hour, or ride an exercise bike now and again, usually when I'm ramping up in the spring.

When I do "my workout" tm Its like windsprints through the forms, and then some stretches, pushups, dips, callisthenics, leg lifts, back arches, etc between to keep the heart rate up.

That probably works the aerobic a bit...

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-17-2010, 11:20 PM
you have to take breaks or what you're building won't have a chance to.

eat only whole foods, drink a lot of water, exercise vigorously for at least 1 hour a day 6 days a week. you will lose that weight.

i agree with you for the most part, but i believe there is a lot of validity to the 90/10 rule. when im in the dietary grove, i haven't really noticed any difference between eating 100% clean or 90% clean. i'll admit that i happen not to like sweets, but my cheat meals at a chinese buffet can't be any better for me. if the cheat meals are used with discipline i dont think they'll do any damage in the long run. then again some people find it easier to eat clean 100% of the time simply because its a slippery slope.

SAAMAG
02-18-2010, 12:12 AM
i agree with you for the most part, but i believe there is a lot of validity to the 90/10 rule. when im in the dietary grove, i haven't really noticed any difference between eating 100% clean or 90% clean. i'll admit that i happen not to like sweets, but my cheat meals at a chinese buffet can't be any better for me. if the cheat meals are used with discipline i dont think they'll do any damage in the long run. then again some people find it easier to eat clean 100% of the time simply because its a slippery slope.

That and the American coporates have made it very hard to eat healthy, not to mention expensive. It's quite difficult to avoid some of the carbs and corn considering that just about everything is made of corn or some corn derivitive. Go to the whole food stores and pay out the wazoo, go to a farmers market and you're lucky to find anything at all since its so hit and miss.

At least that's how it is in fat-town San Antonio.

This is a great thread BTW. Good to see what I have to look forward to, and what I should be looking at in the long run. I've got about 17 more years till I hit 50, but hope to be maintaining myself well enough. I need to lose about 20 pounds even now to get back into fighting shape.

Hardwork108
02-18-2010, 12:45 AM

Eating 10% cheat meals (90% healthy) may even have a healthier effect than eating 100% clean meals as such meals are occasions that some people look forward too and it makes them very happy. And a little bit of happiness thrown inside any diet is healthy.:)

Pork Chop
02-18-2010, 07:53 AM
At least that's how it is in fat-town San Antonio.

ouch man
very ouch