PDA

View Full Version : Injured!! Can't train

Shadow Skill
01-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Last Thrs. I had Hernia surgery, I'm side lined for a While. was woundering what injuries have you had that prevented you from training.

Oso
01-14-2009, 03:32 PM
i had two hernias in 1985...one operated on in may, one in oct...effed me up for training for over 6 months...went from 185 to 200 for the first time in my life...oh, and case you are tempted...sex of any sort is contraindicated until cleared by the doc...learned that one the...um, hard way ;)

broken leg in 1998...kept me out for about 6-8 weeks or so then i started back in w/ stance training and slow forms work...

rotator cuff surgery in 2005...nothing at all for 3 months, should have been nothing at all for at least 6 months though.

Pork Chop
01-14-2009, 03:41 PM
broken arm in 2003
broken/bruised rib in 2004
retinal damage in 2005
broken heart in 2006 (does that count?)
threw out my back in 2007 (and 2005)
messed up something in my shoulder in 2008 but didn't take much time off for it

I get sick a lot and end up having to take time off or cut back for that as well.

As I get older, I'm much more attuned to when my body needs some time off and a whole lot less willing to push it to get that next intense day when I'm hurting bad from the day before.
5~6 days a week might be ideal, but if maintaining that means I have to eventually take significant time off, better to go 3~4 days a week and still be able to work out from week to week.

Vash
01-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Few years ago . . .

Sho Dan test. Front snapping toe-gouge kick to solar plexus. Broke the first cartiliginious-connected rib at the very edge of the cartilage, about 3" further down the rib, pulled the rib from the fossa in my vertebrae, pulled the rib from the cartilage, ripped the intercostal muscle, caused a "light" muscle tear from the abdominal insertion on my pelvis (well, right beside my navel), up to a "ripping" sensation behind my right collar bone.

Took 15 months, eight days to heal.

I will be dealing with the back problems brought on by this injury for the remainder of my life.

And I only got Sho Dan ho, not full sho dan. ****ers.

Shadow Skill
01-14-2009, 08:20 PM
This whole laying in bed Sh!t is for the birds.
no sex till doc says. thats ok, I don't think I can take the pain of abdominal constricting from busting right now

Oso
01-14-2009, 08:39 PM
PC: yea, broken hearts count...didn't do much for 3 months back in 95 due to a breakup...but, the more of those you have the easier it is to keep training...going through that now but am ramping up training pretty good at the moment.

Reverend Tap
01-14-2009, 09:07 PM
Fortunately, all of my injuries tend to be minor--jammed fingers and such. Got two subluxated shoulders back when I was in gymnastics, that took me out for several months and my rotator cuffs are still abysmally weak. About the only real injury I've gotten in kung fu was a broken nose; real embarrassing though, as the punch that broke it was a no-root, bad-mechanics hit from a sometime-TKD kid trying some classes at my school. Taught me never to disregard even the cr@ppiest of shots to the face, though.

But recently, I've been out of classes due to the broken heart, myself. Just had to put down my beloved kitty after a month of desperately trying to nurse him back to health.

冠木侍
01-14-2009, 10:35 PM
i had two hernias in 1985...one operated on in may, one in oct...effed me up for training for over 6 months...went from 185 to 200 for the first time in my life...oh, and case you are tempted...sex of any sort is contraindicated until cleared by the doc...learned that one the...um, hard way ;)

broken leg in 1998...kept me out for about 6-8 weeks or so then i started back in w/ stance training and slow forms work...

rotator cuff surgery in 2005...nothing at all for 3 months, should have been nothing at all for at least 6 months though.

I can sympathize with you there. Hernias limit what you can do at the time and as a result I always need to be aware of how much weight I squat with even now. I was very young when I had my operations but there is always the possibility of aggravating something again.

It didn't affect my training because I didn't start doing martial arts until later on.

About a years and a half ago I got sweeped and my toe got caught up in the mat. Not bad at first but got really painful the next day or so. I had to wear a special shoe with a wooden block in for a bit and I had to lighten up on my training.

It allowed me to take a week off of work though and that's always a good thing in my book. :) Gotta love those sick days and vacation hours.

Reverend Tap
01-14-2009, 11:00 PM
It allowed me to take a week off of work though and that's always a good thing in my book. :) Gotta love those sick days and vacation hours.

:eek: There are still people who get sick days and vacation? :eek:

(not kidding, either. it's friggin' impossible to get those around here.)

maxattck
01-15-2009, 07:24 AM
Cracked ribs in 2005
broken foot in 1985
Hernia in 1985 ( crapy year )
Sprained groin in November 2008, have not been able to train since, groin feeling much better but my lower right abs get stabing pain when ever I try to do a sit up, leg lift anything really that involves the lower abs. Doctor checked for a Hernia twice, but dam I am still wondering if I have a hernia, I have another doctor appointment on saturday so will see. I might go to BJJ tonight and give it go, dont think I cannt train hard maybe just techn.

TaichiMantis
01-15-2009, 07:28 AM
wrist (distal radius fracture) 2004, knee (mcl sprain) 2005

Pork Chop
01-15-2009, 08:09 AM
PC: yea, broken hearts count...didn't do much for 3 months back in 95 due to a breakup...but, the more of those you have the easier it is to keep training...going through that now but am ramping up training pretty good at the moment.

Now that I'm married i hope I'm not going to have to deal with that kinda pain much more in my lifetime. Never know what's gonna happen in the future and I'm sure there are many more new universes of pain for me to go check out with my time left; but God-willing, I hope that's not going to be one of them.

Oso
01-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Now that I'm married i hope I'm not going to have to deal with that kinda pain much more in my lifetime. Never know what's gonna happen in the future and I'm sure there are many more new universes of pain for me to go check out with my time left; but God-willing, I hope that's not going to be one of them.

word...good luck...and how did I miss hearing you got hitched??? belated congrats, man!

Lucas
01-15-2009, 04:25 PM
busted ribs 06, busted ribs 07. both times sucked, the second was much worse, put me out for a while. its tough when it hurts to breath. all my other injuries have been worked around.

TenTigers
01-16-2009, 01:18 AM
if you break your leg, work your hands. If you break your arm, work your kicks, and stretch and practice footwork drills.
There is always something.
Remeber when Bruce Lee was laid up for straining his back doing good mornings,(No, not by a flying sidekick to the spine!):rolleyes:
He wrote Tao of Jeet Kune Do.

TenTigers
01-16-2009, 01:21 AM
hey, anyone remember that thread where we listed all our injuries?
-and someone mentioned that if we hadn't studied MA and just got our a$$es kicked, we probably would've been better off!:D

Eddie
01-16-2009, 03:37 AM
Remeber when Bruce Lee was laid up for straining his back doing good mornings,(No, not by a flying sidekick to the spine!):rolleyes:

What cause his injury? im not much of a bruce lee guy so that gor me a little curious

Oso
01-16-2009, 05:27 AM
sometimes 'there i always something'

injuries related to spine and/or core generally prohibit much of any sort of training.

when I broke my leg, i was back in the school 4 days later helping w/ kids class...sitting in a chair beside the line of hanging bags correcting kicks...actually, a pretty funny scene, lol.

I also always recommend to students who are sick or injured to come to class anyways and watch...after being 'in' class for a while it can often be illuminating to watch it from the outside again.

Pork Chop
01-16-2009, 08:57 AM
word...good luck...and how did I miss hearing you got hitched??? belated congrats, man!

thankya :)
I told a lot of people in private, so I guess i didn't think to make a big thread about it.
Gonna be a dad this summer too.

冠木侍
01-18-2009, 05:32 PM
:eek: There are still people who get sick days and vacation? :eek:

(not kidding, either. it's friggin' impossible to get those around here.)

They're not easy to find but rest assured they do exist.
It wasn't a planned vacation either. Prior to that injury, I had never taken any real time off of work.

I like to save them for rainy days. ;)

Why are they impossible? It just depends on your status of employment in some cases.

Reverend Tap
01-19-2009, 11:02 AM
They're not easy to find but rest assured they do exist.
It wasn't a planned vacation either. Prior to that injury, I had never taken any real time off of work.

I like to save them for rainy days. ;)

Why are they impossible? It just depends on your status of employment in some cases.

Depends on the area in question. Employers around here are just less likely to give benefits overall than in some parts of the country, and with the economy in the state it's in, even that's just basically going away.

冠木侍
01-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Depends on the area in question. Employers around here are just less likely to give benefits overall than in some parts of the country, and with the economy in the state it's in, even that's just basically going away.

That may be the case. I don't know what your situation is but in my company, full time employees are afforded benefits (that are taken out of my check every pay period) and I spend a good bit on Vision, Medical and Dental.

The medical is good just in case my training becomes overzealous or whatever the reason.

Vacation days are accrued per pay period and if i ever leave, I'm sure they'll cut me a check. It's ok for now but i'm always looking for better.

The economy will make it hard for people to enjoy the benefits of having benefits.

I'm sorry for your hardships, brother. :(

TenTigers
01-19-2009, 10:55 PM
What cause his injury? im not much of a bruce lee guy so that gor me a little curious

good mornings, in an exercise where you place a barbell across your shoulders, and bend forward from the waist. Bruce Lee was using a weight that was way too heavy for this exercise, and had a severe injury to his lower back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUpOZnhS4FI