PDA

View Full Version : Soul of Shaolin

doug maverick
01-14-2009, 03:36 PM
im gonna keep this simple. i saw the play last night with a friend(thanks for the tix gene). my friend as performed numerous times with the shi guolin school, she's not apart of the school but her school performs with them. and we both were only semi impressed. the opening of the film was impressive and some of the fights(one in particular with a bullwhip) where really risky and even scary from a fight choreographers point of view. but the repetition was killing me. i mean certainly the show was a spectacle and young kids and the uninitiated will love it. but for those who have seen shaolin demos will have a soso out look on it. i give it a 6 out of 10.

GeneChing
01-15-2009, 10:35 AM
The tix came from the show. They were pleased with your review: Soul of Shaolin - Shaolin Comes to Broadway (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=796) by Douglas Ferguson (photos by Kelly Fung

I may merge this with our Do the Shaolin Monks still tour? thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47931&page=2) someday, since that's where this spiraled out from... I may not. We'll see.

GeneChing
01-16-2009, 10:30 AM
But ours was first. And we gave away tickets. (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52878) :cool:

Duck! These Monks Have Feet and Fists of Fury (http://theater2.nytimes.com/2009/01/16/theater/reviews/16shao.html?ref=arts)
Andrea Mohin/The New York Times
By CHARLES ISHERWOOD
Published: January 16, 2009

Who says nothing new ever happens on Broadway? We are merely days into the new year and I have a fresh sensation to report. The other evening at the Marquis Theater I sat squirming in my seat, possessed by anxiety that I might at any moment be hit by a flying monk.

I don’t mean to suggest that the kung fu masters in “Soul of Shaolin,” the Chinese martial-arts pageant that opened there Thursday night, are anything less than precise in their airborne gymnastics and kicks and thrusts. But as they fling their jabbing limbs around the stage, emitting menacing guttural shrieks and grunts, they achieve such velocity and altitude that a viewer could be forgiven for wanting to duck.

As cultural propaganda, “Soul of Shaolin,” which was performed during the recent Olympics as part of the Beijing arts festival, has a tough act to follow in the opening ceremonies of those games. I was as dazzled as everybody else by the breathtaking spectacle orchestrated by the filmmaker Zhang Yimou.

All that massed humanity moving in unison was a majestic sight, as long as you could put aside the fear that if a nervous flag-waver waved in the wrong direction at the wrong millisecond, a whole family might be banished to a distant province. The artistry and scale of the enterprise were breathtaking, like a series of moving Christo sculptures made of human flesh. All that, and Sarah Brightman warbling away on top of a giant globe, too.

“Soul of Shaolin” is obviously a far more modest piece of pageantry. It features 30 Chinese performers trained in Shaolin kung fu, a style originating at the Shaolin temple in Henan Province. They enact a very simple story about a baby torn from his mother’s arms during civil conflict and raised by the temple monks in the arts of kung fu.

Mostly the show is a series of collective or individual displays of rhythmic acrobatics and crisply choreographed combat. Although the program states that achieving inner peace is part of the Shaolin discipline, the monks depicted onstage at the Marquis don’t seem to spend much time in contemplation, unless it is contemplating one of their brethren spinning across the floor on his head or being hoisted in the air on the tips of spears.

The three performers who play the main character, Hui Guang, impress with their contortionist feats and physical prowess. The littlest, Wang Sen, naturally gets the zestiest oohs, aahs and aaws with his grim little scowl and the back flips onto his shaved head. The splashy all-monks-on-deck numbers combine the pop of a Broadway dance routine with the testosteroney thrill of Hong Kong action movies.

But “Soul of Shaolin” ultimately seems a pretty cheap enterprise. The sets are mostly painted flats, and the music (by Zhou Chenglong) is recorded. Much of it is schlocky; for long stretches it sounds as if someone loaded up the world’s most bombastic movie soundtracks on an iPod and then pressed the shuffle button. The passages of more relaxed indigenous music come as a big relief.

Unfortunately for the makers of “Soul of Shaolin” (the choreography and direction are by Liu Tongbiao), the innumerable Cirque du Soleil shows have set a far higher standard in terms of stagecraft. And they have plenty of contortionists, too. Watching someone fling his leg behind his head as if merely scratching an elbow is not the wince-inspiring feat it once was, thanks to those enterprising French Canadians and their hordes of international performers. (I suspect even Madonna can perform that trick these days.)

“Soul of Shaolin” is being presented on Broadway by Nederlander Worldwide Productions, a joint venture between the producer Robert Nederlander Jr. and Chinese partners. It is produced by China on Broadway, “established by Nederlander Worldwide to bring the best of Chinese culture to Broadway.”

I seriously doubt “Soul of Shaolin” represents the best of Chinese culture. Then again, the shows Nederlander Worldwide is bringing to China include the musicals “Aida,” “42nd Street” and “Fame” — hardly the best of American culture, either. All things considered I’d much rather see “Soul of Shaolin” again than “Aida.” And I’d happily be hoisted aloft on metal spears rather than endure once more the wretched “Fame.” But maybe it’s better in Mandarin?

SOUL OF SHAOLIN

Directed and choreographed by Liu Tongbiao; chief martial arts director, Jiao Hongbo; producer, Wang Jingbo; executive producers, Fang Jun and Robert Nederlander Jr.; music by Zhou Chenglong; sets by Xie Tongmiao; costumes by Huang Gengying; lighting by Song Tianjiao; sound by Wu Feifei and Keith Caggiano; martial-arts directors, Jiang Dongxu and Zhu Huayin; makeup by Chen Meiping; production manager, Fang Yongnian; general managers, Don Frantz and Laurie Brown; general manager, Li Zhixiang; executive director, Xue Weijun; stage supervisor, Wang Zhenpeng. A China on Broadway production, presented by Nederlander Worldwide Productions and Eastern Shanghai International Culture Film and Television Group. At the Marquis Theater, 1535 Broadway, at 45th Street, (212) 307-4100. Through January 31. Running time: 1 hour, 40 minutes.

WITH: Shaolin Temple Wushu Martial Artists: Yu Fei (Hui Guang as a young man), Dong Yingbo (Hui Guang as a teenager), Wang Sen (Hui Guang as a boy), Zhang Zhigang (Na Luo) and Bai Guojun (Abbot).

doug maverick
01-16-2009, 11:19 AM
it was my mistake; cause i went in with higher expectations then usual, i took my little nephew to see it again, cause i was sure he would love it. and he did, and i gotta admit on second viewing the show was a little better. they seemed to work most of the kinks out. its the reason i never go to opening night on shows. so im gonna raise my rating from 6 to 8. its still typical shaolin fare. but again its the way its presented that makes the show work. i mean they did something that is scary in terms of fight chorey, the freaking used a real bullwhip in a staged fight. that i thought was crazy and dangerous and all i kept thinking is, these guys must not have any insurance. and all the high jumps had me cringing as well. so like i said people who are not jaded or not too jaded to the shaolin thing will love it. and it was packed both nights i saw it. so im sure an extended run anouncement will be coming soon. glad they liked the article. mr.neederlander was a pleasure to talk too. at the preview.

qiternal
01-19-2009, 07:18 AM
Kudos to the one-armed Shaolin monk; it was a great inspiration to see his skill. It just reminds me of how capable one can be if your heart is in the right place.

GeneChing
01-19-2009, 02:58 PM
There's some good pics of him doing chain whip on the 1st article.

Photo Coverage: SOUL OF SHAOLIN Opens on Broadway (http://broadwayworld.com/article/Photo_Coverage_SOUL_OF_SHAOLIN_Opens_on_Broadway_2 0090116)
Friday, January 16, 2009; Posted: 11:01 PM - by Peter James Zielinski

Nederlander Worldwide Productions and The Eastern Shanghai Cultural Film and Television Group have partnered to present the China on Broadway production of "Soul of Shaolin," a new Chinese martial arts spectacle. The production began previews on Tuesday, January 13 and opened on Thursday, January 15 at Broadway's Marquis Theatre. BroadwayWorld's cameras captured the high flying opening night celebration.

"Soul of Shaolin" will play a limited engagement of 24 performances in celebration of the Lunar New Year* - the year of the Ox.

Direct from appearances in Sydney, Australia; Macau, People's Republic of China; and at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, comes a theatrical event that is unparalleled on Broadway. "Soul of Shaolin" tells the story of a boy named Hui Guang who is separated from his mother by war. Hui Guang is found and taken in by the legendary monks of the Shaolin temple and raised among them. As he becomes a man, Hui Gang becomes an accomplished master of Shaolin Kung Fu and embarks on a spectacular journey of self-discovery.

"Soul of Shaolin" marks the first time a production from the People's Republic of China has appeared on Broadway.

"Soul of Shaolin" features 33 Chinese nationals who are highly skilled in Shaolin Kung Fu, the breathtaking martial art that has been featured in such films as Fearless (starring international superstar Jet Li) and Shaolin Soccer, both of which were recent US box office successes.

Shaolin Kung Fu is the collection of martial arts that is associated with the monks of the Shaolin temple in China's Henan province. This particular style is characterized by almost superhuman displays of strength and agility, but is tempered with the monks' philosophical belief in training the mind, body, and Soul.

"Soul of Shaolin" marks the inaugural production of China on Broadway which is a historic partnership between Nederlander Worldwide Productions and Eastern Shanghai Cultural Film and Television Group. China on Broadway's American and Chinese partners will work together to develop and produce theatrical projects for global audiences. China on Broadway will bring an annual theatrical event featuring leading Chinese artists to Broadway in celebration of the Lunar New Year.

Robert Nederlander, Jr. of Nederlander Worldwide Productions said, "We are thrilled to bring ‘Soul of Shaolin' to Broadway as the first production of ‘China on Broadway,' our historic partnership with our colleagues at The Eastern Shanghai Cultural Film and Television Group. This partnership has already experienced tremendous success with our touring production of Aida in China. We are honored to be able to bring this partnership to Broadway with ‘Soul of Shaolin,' an amazing show that blends the fantastic spectacle of Shaolin Kung Fu with the rich history and tradition of the Chinese people in a new show that has been created by world class artists from Chinese theatre, opera, and ballet."

Tickets will are $95, $75, and $50. Student Rush tickets will be available for $30 day of the show at the Marquis Theatre Box Office with a valid ID, two tickets per student pending availability.

* TUESDAY, JANUARY 13 - SUNDAY, JANUARY 25: Tuesday at 7 PM, Wednesday at 2 & 8 PM, Thursday and Friday at 8 PM, Saturday 2 & 8 PM, Sunday 3 PM.
* MONDAY, JANUARY 26 - SATURDAY, JANUARY 31 (WEEK OF LUNAR NEW YEAR): Monday at 8 PM (Day of the Lunar New Year), Tuesday at 7 PM, Wednesday at 2 & 8 PM, Thursday and Friday at 8 PM, Saturday at 2 & 8 PM. Please note there is no performance on Sunday.

Nederlander Worldwide Productions, LLC and affiliates (NWP) are led by Robert Nederlander, Jr., a third generation member of the Nederlander family, one of the great dynasties of the American theater. Mr. Nederlander founded and has personally overseen NWP's efforts in China since 2000, establishing the first Chinese foreign joint venture in the performance industry and creating a highly successful network of Chinese theaters for their touring productions including, in part, Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou, Nanjing, Ningbo, Wuhan, Xi'an and Tianjin. Recent productions presented by NWP that have toured China include 42nd Street and Aida.

Eastern Shanghai International Culture Film and Television Co., Ltd. is an entertainment conglomerate with interests in television, film, and live entertainment. The company is supported directly by the Shanghai Mayor's office, with a goal of making the city China's premiere world-class city for musical theater and live entertainment. As a comprehensive culture and performance organization in the People's Republic of China, Eastern Shanghai has dedicated significant resources to improving the Cultural Industry in China as well as the export and introduction of Chinese cultural products around the world.

Photo Flash: SOUL OF SHAOLIN (http://broadwayworld.com/article/Photo_Flash_SOUL_OF_SHAOLIN_20090114)
Wednesday, January 14, 2009; Posted: 11:01 PM - by BWW News Desk

Nederlander Worldwide Productions and The Eastern Shanghai Cultural Film and Television Group will partner to present the China on Broadway production of "Soul of Shaolin," a new Chinese martial arts spectacle, which will begin previews on Tuesday, January 13 and open Thursday, January 15 at Broadway's Marquis Theatre (1535 Broadway). "Soul of Shaolin" will play a limited engagement of 24 performances in celebration of the Lunar New Year* - the year of the Ox.

Direct from appearances in Sydney, Australia; Macau, People's Republic of China; and at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, comes a theatrical event that is unparalleled on Broadway. "Soul of Shaolin" tells the story of a boy named Hui Guang who is separated from his mother by war. Hui Guang is found and taken in by the legendary monks of the Shaolin temple and raised among them. As he becomes a man, Hui Gang becomes an accomplished master of Shaolin Kung Fu and embarks on a spectacular journey of self-discovery.

"Soul of Shaolin" marks the first time a production from the People's Republic of China has appeared on Broadway. "Soul of Shaolin" will feature 33 Chinese nationals who are highly skilled in Shaolin Kung Fu, the breathtaking martial art that has been featured in such films as Fearless (starring international superstar Jet Li) and Shaolin Soccer, both of which were recent US box office successes.

Shaolin Kung Fu is the collection of martial arts that is associated with the monks of the Shaolin temple in China's Henan province. This particular style is characterized by almost superhuman displays of strength and agility, but is tempered with the monks' philosophical belief in training the mind, body, and Soul.

"Soul of Shaolin" marks the inaugural production of China on Broadway which is a historic partnership between Nederlander Worldwide Productions and Eastern Shanghai Cultural Film and Television Group. China on Broadway's American and Chinese partners will work together to develop and produce theatrical projects for global audiences. China on Broadway will bring an annual theatrical event featuring leading Chinese artists to Broadway in celebration of the Lunar New Year.

sha0lin1
01-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Wow, I am glad I got to see the show for free with those ticket prices. The one armed monk is really a one armed monk, he lost his arm to a train accident when he was 9 years old.

GeneChing
01-20-2009, 10:26 AM
He was featured in Riding Rails in China on PBS (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=720587&postcount=38).

doug maverick
01-20-2009, 12:48 PM
the whip fight scene was total bad ass. i will say it again and again

stonecrusher69
01-21-2009, 08:53 AM
I saw the show Sat night.. My first time seeing the monks live in person. I liked the show in general. The whip fight seen was good some others not so good. The little boy was amazing I thought. I thought he took the show. Over all I'd give it a 7 out of 10. I've seen Chinese Oppra which I thought was better.

stonecrusher69
01-21-2009, 08:57 AM
After the show I was waiting for a down town train and across from the tracks I could see about 10 to 15 monks waiting for an uptown train. I thought those guys would have a limo at least.

GeneChing
01-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Siegel got the significance of Broadway as "an important cultural milestone" but she dropped it with the dance. Instead of using Dancing with the Stars as her bridge, she so should have gone with Superstars of Dance (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52634).

Fern Siegel Posted January 20, 2009 | 04:04 PM (EST)
Stage Door: Soul of Shaolin, Champions of the Dance (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/fern-siegel/bstage-door-soul-of-shaol_b_159442.html)

Soul of Shaolin is the first show from the People's Republic of China to play on Broadway, an important cultural milestone. It's also a martial-arts spectacular, featuring 30 Chinese nationals skilled in Shaolin Kung Fu. The costumes are striking, and the music is exquisite. This is a performance rendered not by words, but by movement. And it's a wonder to behold.

Now playing at the Marquis Theater through Jan. 31, Soul of Shaolin is set in ancient China and tells the story of Hui Guang, a baby separated from his mother. Found and raised by the monks of the Shaolin temple, Hui is schooled in the ways of Kung Fu. As a boy, he is precocious; as an adult, he will embark on a poignant journey of self-discovery.

The Shaolin tradition advocates virtue and goodness of heart to develop both mind and temperament. Those precepts are rendered here by extraordinary physical feats. There is minimal narration; the story unfolds visually. Some moments are extraordinary - a man is balanced on four spears - others illustrate the thrilling artistry of Wushu martial arts. All underscore a rich cultural tradition rarely seen on stage and not to be missed. Soul of Shaolin is a family-friendly visual feast.

The American version of such physical sensations is probably dance.

Dancing With the Stars is a spectacular hit on TV. The ABC reality show even out paces acclaimed sitcoms and dramas. Now Town Hall is getting into the act - kicking off its 2009 season with Champions of the Dance, this Friday, Jan. 23. The show features world-renowned performers, including some from Stars, as well as the elegantly sexy American Ballroom Challenge. For one night, audiences can bask in the wonders of tango, meringue, rumba, cha-cha, fox trot and swing. The dances, like the music, are hypnotic.

Champions of the Dancewill showcase some of the brightest stars in the dance firmament: Erin Bomboy and Tony Scheppler, the reigning North American Smooth champs who appeared in Enchanted, Evgeny Dyaachenko and Inna Ivanenk, World American Show vice champs, and the current mambo champs: Matt and Karen Hauer. All are mesmerizing performers.

What accounts for the medium's current revival? "Life is stressful, and people want stable, romantic relationships. Ballroom dancing is the symbol of the ideal relationship between men and women," says Taliat Tarsinov, the co-creator and choreographer of Champions. "People used to meet at dances; now they meet over the Internet. That's why everyone is glued to dance shows on TV. Fashion changes, music changes. But dance stays as one activity that embraces everyone," he says.

A second reason for dance's enduring appeal is the artists' ability to express "inner feelings through their physical being - in the most seemingly impossible way," says Hong Cheng, a competitive ballroom dancer and director of Dynasty Entertainment, which specializes in cross-cultural artistic exchange between the U.S. and China. "Great dancers demonstrate unlimited vitality and energy," she says.

That beauty and energy ensure a lively launch for Town Hall's '09 season.

doug maverick
01-21-2009, 11:11 AM
the fight scenes involving hui guangs mother were of no particular interest to me. they had no energy and the girl you can tell is probably just a trained dancer.

sha0lin1
01-22-2009, 07:38 AM
the fight scenes involving hui guangs mother were of no particular interest to me. they had no energy and the girl you can tell is probably just a trained dancer.

The girl, if its the same one I met when they tested the show in Tennessee, is not a martial artist. She is a Chinese National that was living and going to school in New York and an actress. She was very cool, spoke excellent engilish, and was very down to earth. I am sure she is very excited to be on broadway.

GeneChing
01-23-2009, 10:47 AM
This gives the scene breakdown

"Great Kung Fu Masters come from Shaolin temple, and those from Shaolin never meet a rival." (http://www.piao.com.cn/en_piao/ticket_2451.html)
Shaolin Kung Fu,
the combination of Zen and Martial;
Shaolin Kung Fu,
the soul of virtue

A brand-new Chinese martial arts spectacle

The first Chinese production that has been shown in New York Broadway

INTRODUCTION
Among a myriad of Chinese martial arts, Shaolin KungFu, with over 1500 years of history, enjoys the longest history, with most complete and the largest system.

Soul of Shaolin is a breathtaking new Chinese martial arts spectacle that tells the story of a boy named Hui Guang who is separated from his mother by war. Hui Guang is found and taken in by the legendary monks of the Shaolin temple and raised among them. As he becomes a man, Hui Guang becomes an accomplished master of Shaolin Kung Fu and embarks on a spectacular journey of self-discovery.

Soul of Shaolin features 33 Chinese nationals highly skilled in Shaolin Kung Fu, the astounding martial art featured in such blockbuster films as Fearless (starring international superstar Jet Li) and Shaolin Soccer.

Soul of Shaolin is a large-scale dance drama which tells you a whole story by kungfu performance, it shows a variety of boxing, war instrument, inner-power and fighting routines in a new-brand art style. This amazing show blends the fantastic display of Shaolin Kung Fu with the rich history and tradition of the Chinese people. Created by world-class artists from Chinese theatre, opera and ballet, Soul of Shaolin is dazzling entertainment your whole family will remember forever.

TOUR PERFORMANCES
Since its creation and rehearsal in 2006, it has been performed for nearly 200 times at home and abroad, 3 times in Europe and 150 times in America. It received high praise when the show was performed in Sydney, Macao and during the Beijing Olympics. Soul of Shaolin, this new Chinese martial arts spectacle, will tour again domestic cities after its performing in New York Broadway early this year, making an inaugural Chinese production on Broadway.

Together with the choice skills of Shaolin martial art, some episodes of the series have been performed during quite a number of major international events hosted in China, such as the opening ceremonies of the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, the closing ceremony of the Beijing 2008 Paralympic Games, the closing ceremony of the Shanghai stop of 2008 Formula 1 Sinopec Chinese Grand Prix, and the opening ceremony of the XVIII International Federation of Translators (FIT) World Congress in Shanghai in August, 2008.

SYNOPSIS
Preface
Shaolin Kung-fu got its name from its cradle land-Shaolin Temple on Songshan Mountain about over 1500 years ago. Shaolin Kung-fu is famous all over the world with around 2000 monks and over 500 monks who could play Kung-fu in its heyday. The Kung-fu monks have made contribution and won the morale in history.

Scene I Rescuing orphan
The flames of war were raging everywhere, plunging people into utter miscry and suffering. Miao Xing, the head of Shaolin Temple, led his men to fight against bullies and to hope to bring peace to civilian. During the fight of the war, a woman fell into the hands of gangsters. She hid her baby in the grass and jumped down a cliff. Na Luo, a one-arm Kung Fu monk from Shaolin Temple, saved the baby and found a broken piece of jade identifying his origin in the swaddles.

Scene II Learning in Shaolin Temple
Time Flew. The baby grew up under the care of the monks. He was given the Buddhist name Hui Guang and began to learn Kung Fu from Na Luo. Having grown up and become a great Kung Fu master, Miao Xing, the head of the temple, decided to return the broken jade to Hui Guang and tell him his origin.

Scene III Kung Fu
The monks sweated under burning sun, practicing Kung Fu. They demonstrate Kung Fu skills everywhere in their daily life. One day a monk get drunk and made trouble, Hui Guang tried to stop him but fails. Hui Guang had to involve the fighting with the drunken monk and then beat him down onto the ground. The head of temple, Na Luo, blamed Hui Guang, but he refused to confess his fault. Hui Guang was being punished to reflect his wrong in the hole, in the end he realized that the virtue is the spirit of Shaolin Kung Fu.

Scene IV Encounter mother
On a crowded street, Hui Guang's mother is still alive, in order to looking for her son, she makes living by begging. Some hooligans come and molest her. She fights against them in danger. Hui Guang, just passing by, gives hand rescuing her mother out of danger. Without notice by Hui Guang, the jade falls onto the ground and being picked up by his mother. Mother recognized this jade, with mixed feeling, she follow Hui Guang secretly try to find her own son.

Scene V Looking for Her Son
The monks are practicing Kung Fu under the moonlight. Covering her face, Hui Guang's mother sneaks into the Tablet Forest of Shaolin Temple and hide herself. On the way back to the temple, Hui Guang sees a black shadow (her mother) moving in the Tablet Forest. He captures her. The head of temple and Na Luo come out and interrogate her. The whole things come to obvious. The reunion brings mixed feelings of joy and sorrow to mother and son. The mother asks to take Hui Guang with her. The head of temple refused by saying that, as the temple rules required, only if Hui Guang can fights his way out, then he can be allowed to secularize.

Scene XI Home Return
Hui Guang fights his way out of the temple in fighting process. Na Luo is the last one block on his way. In the crucial moment, the mercy of Na Luo let him give way to Hui Guang, to make him return to his mother. A happy reunion comes. With extremely grateful and tears in eyes, mother and the son farewell to Shaolin.

doug maverick
04-17-2009, 02:09 PM
out of the system. guess it happened during the system crash. oh well.hopefully ill be able to write more.

GeneChing
04-17-2009, 02:53 PM
It's right here: Soul of Shaolin - Shaolin Comes to Broadway (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=796) by Douglas Ferguson (photos by Kelly Fung). It dropped off the front page and is currently on archive page 3 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/index.php?offset=10), but it's still there.

Don't scare me like that. :eek:

doug maverick
04-17-2009, 11:25 PM
i was searching for it by name and the only thing under my name was lee/gendary so i thought it got erased. oh sorry for the mix up, gene.

GeneChing
04-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Since we just migrated the site to a new server, there's liable to be some broken links and funky search issues for a spell. Wait until the cyberdust settles and it should come up again.

GeneChing
05-04-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm ready for that national U.S. tour now. I've got to find the one-armed monk!

"Soul of Shaolin" Nominated for Drama Desk Award (http://english.cri.cn/6666/2009/05/02/1722s480992.htm)
2009-05-02 14:15:28

"Soul of Shaolin," an inaugural "China on Broadway" production, was awarded a nomination for the Drama Desk Awards in the category of Unique Theatrical Experience.

The Drama Desk Award, created in 1955, is an award honoring shows produced on Broadway, off-Broadway, off-off-Broadway, and for legitimate not-for-profit theaters.

Nominations for the 54th Annual Drama Desk Awards were announced recently in New York.

"Soul of Shaolin," staged at Broadway's Marquis Theatre this January, marked the first time a production from China has appeared on Broadway and been nominated for one of the most prestigious awards honoring theatrical events in New York.

It features 30 Chinese nationals who are highly skilled in Shaolin Kung Fu. The story is about a boy taken in by the legendary monks of the Shaolin temple and raised among them, and becomes an accomplished master of Shaolin Kung Fu and embarks on a spectacular journey of self-discovery.

The 54th Annual Drama Desk Awards ceremony will be held on May 17 at Lincoln Center's LaGuardia Concert Hall of the Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts.

As a Drama Desk Awards nominee, "Soul of Shaolin" is scheduled to return in 2010 and start a national tour in the United States.

Over the past 50 years, the prestige of the Drama Desk Awards has helped launch the careers of many major stars and playwrights.

GeneChing
07-06-2009, 05:23 PM
and it lost to Liza!?!

Tonys Retire Award for Special Event (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/20/theater/20arts-TONYSRETIREA_BRF.html?ref=arts)
Compiled by DAVE ITZKOFF
Published: June 19, 2009

Once Liza Minnelli, right, has been given an award, can anyone else truly win it? In the case of the Tony Award for special theatrical event, the answer is an unequivocal no. The Tonys will no longer bestow an award in that category starting with the 2009-10 season, press representatives said in a news release. The decision was approved this week by the Tonys’ administration and management committees. The award, won most recently by Ms. Minnelli’s show “Liza’s at the Palace ...,” had become something of a grab bag: the other nominees for the 2008-9 season included the Will Ferrell show “You’re Welcome America. A Final Night With George W Bush”; the Russian clown show “Slava’s Snowshow”; and “Soul of Shaolin,” a martial-arts production. The award category was created in 2001 for a live theatrical production that is not a play or a musical.

GeneChing
09-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Interesting insight in China/US theater relationships.

Give My Regards to Beijing: Five Questions for Robert Nederlander Jr. (http://thefastertimes.com/theatertalk/2009/09/15/give-my-regards-to-beijing-five-questions-for-robert-nederlander-jr/)
September 15, 2009 Davi Napoleon

There are people who love to pack their bags and head out. Me, I’d rather vacation in my backyard. And when producers bring shows to me, I’m grateful.

During my formative years, I circled the globe with the help of Harvey Lichtenstein, who brought the world to the Brooklyn Academy of Music. Since I moved to Michigan, I’ve depended on the University Musical Society (UMS), which has saved me innumerable schleps to London; I’ve enjoyed top Shakespeare companies and Simon McBurney’s remarkable Complicite in Ann Arbor. This season, UMS has booked my passage to Russia for the Maly Drama Theater of St. Petersburg’s Uncle Vanya.* I’ll be home by bedtime.

Thanks to the Nederlanders, whose theaters in Detroit present a variety of national tours, I’m also able to enjoy the best of Broadway without boarding a flight. I’ve always associated the Nederlander name with Broadway and Detroit, where the family began to build the theatrical empire David T. Nederlander founded in 1912 when he bought the Detroit Opera House.

Now the Nederlanders, who produce, co-produce, and book in their theaters, own nine houses on Broadway, three in London, and several in various parts of the United States.

Fortunately, Robert Nederlander Jr., president of Nederlander Worldwide Entertainment (NWE), who acquired the Nederlander theaters in San Francisco, Bethesda, and Sarasota for off-Broadway as well as Broadway offerings, doesn’t share my aversion to travel. In 2000, he began exploring the possibility of taking mega musicals to China, and in 2005, NWE formed Nederlander New Century (NNC) with a Chinese partner, marking the first foreign joint venture the Chinese government allowed in its performing arts industry. Audiences throughout China and America are the beneficiaries.

In 2007, NNC brought 42nd Street to nine cities in China, and the next year, they brought a Chinese dance company to New York to perform The Dream of the Red Chamber. That was just the start of something new. I talked to Robert Nederlander Jr. about it.

DN: You toured Savion Glover’s tap dance show internationally. But when you started taking huge Broadway musicals to China, you took touring to a new level. What’s different and what’s the same about taking a Broadway hit to, say, Detroit and taking the same show to Beijing? Do you market a show the same way, for instance?

RN: There are several aspects to that. One relates to the technical challenges that we or any Western producer faces traveling about China. The audience is still relatively new outside of Shanghai and Beijing, so there’s a an educational process to exactly what Broadway is….It’s only recently that the concept of having to purchase tickets as a single ticket buyer has developed in many markets. You acquire tickets through friends or through your workplace as opposed to buying them as an individual, and changing buying habits is one of the challenges for any Western company.

It’s not an easy environment to do business in. It just takes time. You have significant cultural differences in how business is undertaken, and there’s a language barrier. English is taught in the schools, and it’s widespread. With that said, this certainly isn’t universal, and any show that comes in has superscript text translation that most theaters are capable of supporting.

You learn that without a great interpreter, you’ll have trouble in whatever you do. I remember early on I was conducting a negotiation, and it was an interpreter I hadn’t worked with before. I don’t remember the exact nature of the point that was being negotiated, but I recall saying I needed to consult an attorney regarding it. After a long pause, the response I received was something to the effect, ‘Well go ahead, you can try.’ I thought that was a puzzling response, so I asked the interpreter. ‘You said you were going to explore suing him.’

You want to catch those mistakes early. You just gotta be flexible and you gotta be prepared to take your lumps.

There’s also the language of our business. We have particular terminology and having great interpreters who understand the vernacular [is essential to creating] an effective bridge between a local technical team and our technical team. You’re locked into a schedule and being able to load in and out is essential. The more time it takes to set up a show, the fewer shows you’re able to perform whenever you tour across anywhere. In the United States, there are certainly regional differences in how shows are presented and marketed, and having a local partner with a strong familiarity with local conditions is fundamental, too.

DN: How do you develop those partnerships?

RN: I’ve probably hosted between 50 and 100 cultural delegations to China. Over time and through those visits, you find as you would anywhere groups or individuals with common interests. You seek out those who share the same goals, and it’s a win-win arrangement. Like any solid partnership, it takes time to mature, and a lot of patience.

DN: You brought a bit of China back to Broadway. How did you become involved in The Dream of the Red Chamber and Soul of Shaolin? Can you tell us a little about those shows?

RN: This began as a mutual interest between ourselves and the different Chinese partners that we have. There’s a genuine interest in China and Chinese culture here in the United States. [People want to understand China and make connections.] What better way to bridge that gap than through cultural performances?

DN: It seems to this casual onlooker that you were born to Broadway, even if you’re taking Broadway half way around the world. But you didn’t study theater or arts management, did you? Your University of Michigan degrees are in economics and computer science, then law, and you practiced law for a while. I gather you also enjoy football. Still, you’ve become part of and expanded the family business. How do you blend your interests?

RN: I practiced law for several years here in New York City. Then I thought there were some interesting opportunities working in the family business and taking advantage of my education and legal skill set. I use it quite often. Everything we do is contract based. What a contract means is a bit different in China than here, and my legal background allows me to be a more effective negotiator.

DN: I bet I missed something important. Please answer a question I didn’t think to ask.

RN: I’m asked quite a bit ‘Why China?’ and perhaps today there’s an obvious answer. It’s one of the fastest growing economies in the world with tremendous opportunities. It wasn’t as obvious ten years ago when I started this. I was fortunate enough to have been introduced to the opportunity back then.

We’ve had a tremendous response to 42nd Street and Aida. We have Fame, which will open at the end of the year. We co-produced a Chinese language version of Fame last year with Beijing Central Academy of Drama [but] there’s a preference for authenticity in China and having Western actors performing the show in English is something people are willing to pay the premium necessary to support the high cost of touring.

Aside from the distance, I always enjoy going there.

GeneChing
10-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Soul was preceded by Shaolin in the Wind (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41377) and Wheel of Life (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10562).

And now for Shaolin kung fu - the musical (http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article/?id=416445&type=Feature)
2009-10-16

Performers, mostly athletes trained at the Shaolin Temple, practice meditation during the "Soul of Shaolin" show.

KUNG fu meets music, dance and extravagant stage effects in what may be China's first martial arts musical. Wang Jie reports. Said to be the first theatrical combination of Shaolin kung fu, musical theater and dance, the martial arts musical spectacle, "Soul of Shaolin," will run from October 29 to 31 at the Shanghai Theater Academy.

The show was performed 24 times on Broadway in January and nominated for a Tony Award.

The 90-minute extravaganza is set in ancient China and tells the story of Hui Guang, a baby separated from his mother.

Found and raised by monks in the legendary Shaolin Temple in Henan Province, the precocious Hui is trained in the ways of kung fu.

He becomes a kung fu master, undertakes a journey of self-discovery and eventually is reunited with his mother.

"Fusing a special scenario into the traditional Shaolin kung fu is a way to elevate its image, otherwise kung fu is always about fighting or showing off," says Ye Jianqiu, the show's marketing manager.

The show took five years in preparation and was well received on Broadway early this year, he says.

The performance encompasses Chinese boxing, sword fighting and combat with other ancient weapons, like the whip.

The highlight comes when two martial artists are fighting on 20, two-meter-high platforms.

"Sometimes the on-site visual impact is amazing," says Xue Baojun, executive director of the show. "You can't imagine the audience's excitement.

The show's 30 Chinese actors are mostly athletes trained in Shaolin.

But turning martial artists into performers was difficult.

"At the very start, they could only fight instead of performing on stage," Xue says. "But the 'Soul of Shaolin' is a martial arts spectacle with a story and vivid characters. Kung fu athletes need to express inner feelings, like agony and joy through kung fu movements."

For example, Hui demonstrates "drunken boxing" to express his inner conflicts.

"Kung fu is an emotional release that allows the actors to 'speak'," Xue says.

Apart from training athletes in basic acting, Xue also focused on the music and stage design.

So why did it lose the Tony Award? "It was because of our music which wasn't impressive enough, and we didn't have big names," Xue says. "Just imagine the public enthusiasm if Jet Li played the main role?"

Xue cites "Les Miserables," a Tony Award winner in 1987 (best musical, best score and other honors), a drama that has been performed for years.

"'Les Miserables' adjusts from time to time to cater to audience's taste. Today it's a masterpiece with good box office sales.

"We also need to polish 'Soul of Shaolin' in its music and stage design, and that takes a lot of money. But we are still confident we can build it into a Chinese masterpiece," he says.

Their experience on Broadway was an education.

"You can't imagine how keen they (Westerners) are on every small detail," says Xue. "The props and sets are perfect. We really need to learn from their attitude."

However, Xue also admits Westerners seem more interested in "Soul of Shaolin" than Chinese.

"Perhaps Chinese people are too familiar with Shaolin kung fu," Xue says. "But I'm sure that if they watch the show, they will find it's totally different from films or TV series about martial arts."

The popularity of Shaolin kung fu also stems from its tradition that stresses virtue and goodness of heart, trains both temperament and body.

Says Xue: "That's the real charisma behind Shaolin kung fu."

Date: October 29-31, 7:30pm
Address: 630 Huashan Rd
Tickets: 180-380 yuan
Tel: 962-388, 6248-5600

GeneChing
01-04-2010, 10:49 AM
I know some people (http://www.tigerclaw.com/home.php)in that neighborhood... :rolleyes:

Eastern stars shine in Sevierville (http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/jan/03/eastern-stars-shine-sevierville/)
* Laura Bower, news@knoxvillebiz.com
* Posted January 3, 2010 at midnight

SEVIERVILLE - Chinese acrobats are jumping through hoops to attract Smoky Mountain tourists to their production and promote Sino-American relations, and are generating more than $1 million in annual revenue in the process.

A quiet influx of Chinese residents in Sevier County is causing a cultural shift in the entertainment community. Cirque de Chine performers at Governors Crossing call East Tennessee home for nine months out of the year. Lizhi Zhao, president of the Shanghai Lichuang Entertainment Co., oversees operations at the Smoky Mountain Palace Theater as well as at another venue in Branson, Mo. It is Zhao's vision to raise awareness about Chinese arts and heritage and to facilitate a cultural exchange between China and America.

Branson and Sevier County may seem unlikely locations to build foreign relations with business overtones, but the Chinese acrobats and soon-to-arrive Shaolin warrior monks may change that perception.

With 10 years of experience in Branson and 25 years in Shanghai, Zhao was looking to expand operations when he first visited Sevier County in 2003. Four years later he purchased the Smoky Mountain Palace Theater and invested $9.5 million to launch Cirque de Chine in 2007. Since then, Zhao has put an additional $4 million into developing a first-rate production that is unlike anything else in the area.

Some 50 performers, ranging in age from 14 to over 30, plus their coaches, chefs, drivers and translators, set up residence in nearby condominiums for the season. They come primarily from remote villages in rural western Chongqing, one of China's four provincial-level municipalities. The municipality of Chongqing has a registered population of more than 31 million. Its boundaries reach much ****her into the hinterland than those of the other three provincial municipalities: Beijing, Shanghai and Tianjin.

The feeling is mutual

Cirque de Chine actually is composed of three different performing troupes: the traditional Chinese acrobats, the Jungjo Drums all-girl ensemble, featured at the Beijing Summer Olympics, and the flying motorcyclists. Most of the performers speak dialects of Cantonese or Mandarin, but they have some difficulty understanding each other. None of them speaks English. Their lives here are structured: three to four hours of practice a day with nightly performances plus matinees on Tuesday and Saturday. But that's nothing compared to the rigorous training these disciplined young people experienced in China.

Tao Zilin and Jiao Lurong, the "panda girls" as they are affectionately referred to within the company, are 14 years old. They have been training and performing together for 10 years. Like Olympic athletes, the children were identified early and sent to elite acrobatic schools, where they honed their craft eight hours a day. Although they are more like sisters than co-workers, both playful girls consider Cirque de Chine their job. They've been to McDonald's and Walmart and Dollywood, but the troupe is their life.

In the off-season, Tao and Jiao will have just enough time to taste some home-cooked dumplings before hitting the road to travel around China to perform. Their outside contact in Sevierville is limited due to time constraints, but they are warm and smiling, eager to engage the audience before and after each performance.

Jim Callicott, media and public relations manager for Smoky Mountain Palace Theater, said the community loves the Cirque de Chine performers. He said the one-of-a-kind production has become a theater of destination primarily by word of mouth. There are meet-and-greets every Monday at area hotels, and the popular drum girls make local appearances at events like the recent grand opening of the Thai Thani restaurant. Sevier County residents repeatedly see the show, according to Callicott, who notes that attendance is up despite the lackluster economy.

In fact, Zhao says Cirque de Chine's revenue has increased each of the past three years - from $390,000 in 2007 to $910,000 in 2008 and $1.2 million in 2009. He expects the company to break even in its fourth year, grossing $2 million. Attendance dropped off slightly during the holiday season, but Zhao isn't discouraged. In fact, he recently acquired the theater that formerly housed the Great China Acrobats on Sevier's Parkway and will open a new show there this spring.

Zhao believes a silver lining of the recession is that he can make additional investments. He purchased the Parkway property from Sevier County Bank for less than $1 million. He has big hopes for the highly visible venue, which will introduce Soul of Shaolin to the area in March.

Soul of Shaolin, a Tony Award-winning show, is the first production from the Peoples Republic of China to appear on Broadway. The production refers to Shaolin Temple, a 1,500-year-old Buddhist monastery in the Henan Province closely associated with martial arts.

The Soul of Shaolin performers are warrior monks who perform choreographed martial arts. These practicing Buddhist monks will live in separate housing from the Cirque de Chine performers and will have their own support staff. Consequently, the seasonal Chinese population in Pigeon Forge will continue to expand.

Cultural exchange

Wayne Williams retired to Sevierville 12 years ago from Maryland where he was a regional manager for the national Trailways bus system. Now he's a part-time cashier at Walmart and one of Cirque de Chine's biggest fans. Williams has seen the Cirque de Chine performance at least 70 times this season and loves everything about it. The commitment of the youngsters, their smiles and work ethic amazes Williams, he said, explaining that he looks forward to seeing the show three to four nights a week.

Sevier County residents receive a discount off the performances' regular $29.95 ticket price, but Williams said he would pay the full price to see the performers.

And the feeling is mutual, according to Grace Zhao, marketing specialist and translator for Cirque de Chine. She said Williams remembers the birthdays of the performers and brings cards and flowers. He has become an honored grandfather figure to the acrobats, who don't need to speak English to communicate through hugs. Grace Zhao, no relation to Lizhi Zhao, described East Tennesseans as warm and accepting and said the experience has been positive for the performers, many of whom are traveling outside China for the first time.

Chen Zue plays one of the butterfly lovers in an acrobatic ballet sequence of Cirque to Chine. She does 1,000 pushups a day to stay in shape for her physically demanding role in the show. During the performance, she is suspended from the ceiling by flowing streamers that swing her out over the audience. At one point in the sequence, Chen gracefully lifts her male partner, who also is intertwined in the fabric, creating the need for the upper body strength.

In her limited free time, Chen likes to shop, making forays to Tanger Outlet, West Town Mall and Sunrise Chinese Market in West Knoxville. Calvin Klein jeans cost three times as much in China as they do here, according to Chen. She and the other troupe members also purchase laptops, MP3 players and other gadgets to take back to China.

The Cirque de Chine performers eat the occasional pizza or cheeseburger at local restaurants, but they prefer Asian noodles prepared by their resident chef. Most performers must adhere to specific weight restrictions in order to contort their bodies and create the complicated human pyramids that are part of the show. The hoop divers and springboard acrobats are captivating in motion. Funnel cakes and other fattening treats are not on the menu. In fact, the athletic Chinese visitors expressed amazement at Sevier County's portly tourist population.

Like their American counterparts, the Chinese teenagers like to go to the movies. "Transformers" was a big hit. Excursions are chaperoned, and the younger troupe members are only permitted to venture out in groups of three or more. The company also shows films with Chinese subtitles in the Smoky Mountain Palace Theater for the performers during their off time. The kids talk on the phone or make Internet videos and make calls to their parents almost daily. They shoot basketball and pool and play soccer in the parking lot before performances. Homesickness is held at bay by a fierce commitment to perfection.

Backstage before the show, the mood is one of focus and discipline. Despite their young age, the acrobats are not prone to horseplay. There's no need for supervision as they prepare to go on stage. The performers apply their own makeup, look after their costumes and clean up their dressing rooms. They take turns emptying the trash. There's even a note above the light switch, written in Chinese characters, to remind the last person out to turn off the light.

Amanda Marr, marketing director for the Sevierville Chamber of Commerce, said the troupe's economic impact has been significant. It's a Las Vegas-caliber show at an affordable price point, she explained. Marr promotes Cirque de Chine to travel writers on media blitzes because its something unique among the area's country, gospel, bluegrass and comedy shows. Its a $175 show for $30 a ticket, she said. Primary competitors are the Dixie Stampede, the Comedy Barn and the Black Bear Jamboree.

GeneChing
01-04-2010, 10:50 AM
continued from previous page

Living in harmony

The cultural impact is significant as well, according to Marr. Cirque de Chine has performed at Rotary luncheons and regularly participates in Sevierville's Winterfest and Bloomin BBQ & Bluegrass Festival, although barbecue is off-limits because of the troupe's strict training diet. The company has worked hard to raise awareness and visibility through community involvement.

Cirque de Chine successfully completed its first annual Adopted Chinese Children's Reunion in July 2009, bringing 1,000 visitors to the area from around the country. For the American families, the experience was invaluable. The adopted Chinese children learned about their heritage and Chinese culture and were able to meet other families and interact with other Chinese children.

In August, the Shanghai Federation of Literacy and Art Circles designated the Smoky Mountain Palace Theater as its official U.S. office and as a Chinese cultural exchange center through which a number of acclaimed American artists will be selected to go to China to perform. Sevierville beat out New York City and Washington, D.C., for the coveted designation.

Lizhi Zhao continues to think big as he looks to the future. In addition to Cirque de Chine and Soul of Shaolin, he hopes to open a Chinese restaurant in Sevierville to further enhance the overall experience for visitors. For the performers, he's planning an activity center and additional condominiums.

"It is my deep impression that Americans are friendly," he said through a translator. "The people of Sevierville are compatible and allow us to live in harmony."

Laura Bower is a freelance contributor to the News Sentinel.

GeneChing
02-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Three-night run.

Experience the Soul of Shaolin in Shanghai (http://www.pr-inside.com/experience-the-soul-of-shaolin-in-r1710221.htm)
2010-02-08 09:59:13 - The acclaimed theatre production Soul of Shaolin is coming to Shanghai next month.

Excitement is growing among theatre-goers in Shanghai over the return of Soul of Shaolin.

Fresh from a highly-acclaimed spell on Broadway, the show will be back in China for a three-night run at the Shanghai City Theatre next month.

Soul of Shaolin features 30 performers skilled in the art of Shaolin kung fu and tells the story of Hui Guang, an abandoned
child who is raised by the legendary monks and grows up to be martial arts master.

The show debuted at New York's Marquis Theatre in January 2009 as part of the China on Broadway series of productions.

It received rave reviews from many American critics, with the New York Post describing the show as "a dazzling display of skill", while the Associated Press called it "astonishing and amazing".

According to the show's executive director Xue Weijun: "The story of Shaolin is timeless and appeals to all audiences, young and old."

People booking accommodation in Shanghai (www.asiarooms.com/china/shanghai.html) may not want to miss the latest run of Soul of Shaolin, which will take place from March 12th to 14th.

Ticket prices range from 100 yuan (£9.30) to 300 yuan and the performance gets underway at 19:30 local time each night.

GeneChing
05-17-2010, 11:14 AM
Chinese artists seek global influence in producing dramas, musicals (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/china/2010-05/17/c_13297799.htm)
English.news.cn 2010-05-17 01:46:30
by Xinhua writers Li Huizi, Wang Pan

GUANGZHOU, May 16 (Xinhua) - Deng Jun's dream is to make the well-known Chinese scroll painting "Along the River during Qingming Festival" alive on the international stage of performing arts.

The scroll painting, which had been done by the Northern Song (960-1127) painter Zhang Zeduan, offers glimpses of the institutions, economy, culture and customs in the Song capital, Bianjing, the most prosperous metropolis in the world then.

Deng, general manager of Guangdong Southern Cultural Development Co. Ltd, is planning to bring his company's dance performance based on the painting to Canada.

The dance troupe is currently touring China, and will give performances on the Canadian stage in July next year.

"The dance has been targeting international audience from the very beginning," Deng told Xinhua.

Analysts say the global performing arts market has great potentials.

Toby Simkin, vice president and executive producer of the U.S. Broadway-based Nederlander Worldwide Entertainment, told a forum in Guangzhou, capital of Guangdong, that the profitable market is worthy of big investment.

A veteran Broadway producer, Simkin has produced, managed or marketed over 150 productions over the past two decades, including various Tony Award winning shows.

With the expansion of the cultural industry reform, China' s state-run art troupes and performing companies, including that of Deng's, have gradually abandoned the "iron rice bowl" concept and become participants of market competitions.

They set eyes on the international arena and choreographed an increasing number of Chinese dramas, acrobatics, ballet and musicals to target international audience and earn more profits through overseas box office.

Domestic performing companies struck 25 deals with overseas stage performance agents at a week-long trade fair of performing arts in Guangzhou that ended Sunday, with contracts involving more than 100 million yuan (14.7 million U.S. dollars), organizers say.

The deals include introducing the Chinese original musical "Butterfly Lovers" to Europe and U.S., a traditional opera costume show to Australia, the Cantonese opera "Red Boat," or "Hua Yue Ying," to Qatar, a puppet show to Germany, Kungfu drama "The Soul of Shaolin" and acrobatic show "Journey to the West" to Europe.

Zhang Ning, art director of a cultural and media company in east China's Shandong Province, will lead a troupe to give the traditional Chinese opera costume show in Australia.

"We've considered overseas tours when we were choreographing the show, so we have chosen costumes as the theme because there will be no language barrier," said Zhang.

He said they had conducted thorough investigations on overseas viewers and their viewing habits for seven years before the show was introduced overseas. "This process was very tough," he said.

"China will not export low-quality cultural products. The export channel for Chinese arts must be improved so that they could compete in the global market," he said.

GLOBAL INTEREST IN CHINA STORY

Many domestic performing companies believe stage performances featuring Chinese ethnic minorities are popular with overseas audience.

Prof. Gerhard Feltl, president of Vienna-based Wiener Stadthalle Ltd, a major art performance company of Austria and organizer of the Vienna Art Festival, said Shaolin Kungfu and Chinese acrobatics are welcomed by European audiences.

However, Feltl said, "It was much easier ten years ago (to promote Chinese art performances in Europe) since everything was new." He said as there are now so many Chinese shows and due to expansion of globalization and progress in telecommunication technologies, performances staged in Europe should have" unique selling points."

"What is the difference from the other shows? That is the crucial point. I think in the future Chinese productions must focus on that," he said, adding productions staged overseas should be "diversified."

He is currently visiting China to see "what they can add to his business," as there are big opportunities in China. His Vienna-based company headquarters attracts 1.2 million visitors annually, including big names.

"Soul of Shaolin" will tour Europe and stage 100 shows because Feltl struck a deal with its Chinese producer, China Heaven Creation, at the Guangzhou performance fair. He said interesting Chinese stories and mythology are selling points.

He recommended that European companies hoping to enter the Chinese market should cooperate with a Chinese company which is familiar with the market and "knows all, both the written and unwritten rules."

Broadway's Simkin said his company is trying to make western audiences knowing little about China understand Chinese shows. His business consulting company, based in Shanghai and set up six years ago, is helping Chinese companies to stage successful shows in the West and help western producers who want to bring their shows to China. "I' m a bridge between the two and trying to assist the cultural and audience differences."

Last year, Simkin brought "Soul of Shaolin" to Broadway and he received Tony nomination for that show. He also brought "Dream of Red Mansion" of Shanghai Ballet to New York' s Lincoln Center last year. The ballet show was a huge success.

Currently, Simkin is working on a show that will be "very exiting and possibly would be China' s first musical on Broadway."

"We want China's first big show in America to be something that is so strong and so good and open a ground that people would love it. We want to pick the right show and develop the right way."

(Xinhua writers Wang Lili in Beijing and Lai Shaofen in Guangzhou also contributed to the story)
From Broadway to Europe!

GeneChing
11-19-2010, 10:12 AM
There's a vid if you follow the link.

"Soul of Shaolin" brings Chinese Kung Fu to Sevierville stage (http://www.wbir.com/news/article/143404/8/Soul-of-Shaolin-brings-Chinese-Kung-Fu-to-Sevierville-stage?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p)
6:55 PM, Nov 18, 2010

In Zhengzhou City Henan Province of what is now the People's Republic of China sits Shaolin Temple where for centuries, people have been learning Shaolin Kung Fu. It's was the inspiration for the show Soul of Shaolin which debuted on Broadway in 2009.

"Shaolin Temple is very famous and known for it's Chinese Kung-Fu and martial arts," says Han Yan, who does Marketing for the production. "Every year lots of people, boys and girls, go to Shaolin Temple to practice."

Soul of Shaolin was nominated for two prestigious awards, a Tony and a Drama Desk award.

"When we did the show in Broadway, it was so popular. Sometimes people would buy the standing ticket to watch the show."

Soul of Shaolin follows the hero, Hui Guang, a child who is seprated from his mother. As a baby, he is left at Shaolin Temple during wartime. Hui Guang is raised by monks (who thought the baby was an orphan) and taught Shaolin Kung Fu. Hui Guang's mother leaves part of a jade necklace with the baby and keeps the other half. The play focuses on the hero growing up and the mother trying to find him.

"It's a very touching story between an orphan boy and his mother," says Han Yan.

Thirty cast members make up the cast. Most of them were chosen for the play from Shaolin Temple and all of them starred on Broadway.

The youngest, 11-year-old Wang Sen, has been practicing Chinese Kung-Fu since he was 5. He plays the hero as a young boy.

"I practiced at Shaolin Temple," he tells us through a interpretor. "One day the director of Soul of Shaolin came to the Temple and selected me and I'm here."

While small in size, Wang Sen is a dynamo on the stage. With his parents and siblings still in China, the 11 year old has become the group's baby brother.

"They treat me like a younger brother. I feel very happy to be with them."

In his off-time, Wang Sen likes to enjoy things that most 11- year-olds enjoy.

"I like playing football games. My team mates and I also play video games."

Stepping into the role of the hero as a young man is 23-year-old Yu Fei. Like many of the other cast members, he was chosen by the director from Shaolin Temple.

"I started practicing Chinese Kung Fu when I was very young so I'm really enthusiastic about it," he tell us through a translator. "I like both New York Broadway and East Tennessee. Both of the places are fantastic and the audiences from both places are very enthusiastic and friendly to us."

Twenty-three year old Wang Yazhi is one of only two female cast members.

"I studied Chinese opera for more than 10 years," she says.

During her leisure time, she practices Chinse Kung Fu and works on her English.

"At first when I started to act with these actors, it was a little bit hard, I hurt a little bit physically," she tell us through a translator. "Now, I feel better and I feel the audiences like the show very much so I feel happy."

The cast of Soul of Shaolin sticks to a strict routineevery day.

"I get up at 6:40 every morning for exercise," says Yu Fei. "From 6:30 to 7:50 a.m. we will run in our neighborhood. After 7:50 a.m., the whole morning we will be at home. At 3 O'clock each afternoon, we start training again and from 3 to 5 every afternoon and then we have dinner and start preparing the night show from 7:15 p.m."

All three cast members say they love being in East Tennessee but admit it's hard to be so far away from family.

"Of course sometimes I'm homesick," says Wang Yazhi. "But I feel very happy to be working with my team members, my colleagues, my coach and our manager. We are just like a family."

Soul of Shaolin runs Monday through Saturday at 7:30 p.m. at The Eastern Shanghai Theater in Sevierville. For more information visit www.easternshanghaitheater.com or call (877) 453-1188.

sha0lin1
11-20-2010, 07:24 AM
We visited them in May. One of my Masters brothers is the head coach for the team. It is interesting that some of the original cast are still there after this troup toured around. It is sad though that they keep such a strict control over the group. They might like East Tennessee but they don't get out very much to see it. We tried to take them out to for a foray into the Great Smokey Mountains National Park on their day off, but their manager called a last minute cast meeting and they were unable to go. It was sad to see the look in their eyes as we left them, you could tell they really wanted to go.

Chief_Suicide
01-27-2011, 05:57 AM
http://www.smokymountainpalace.com/

and

http://easternshanghaitheater.com/

Both of these are down by the Smoky mountains. I was hoping to see them.. maybe this year.

GeneChing
08-17-2011, 09:42 AM
There's a colorful photo but it's protected so I can't embed it. Follow the link.

farewell show held (http://seymourherald.com/entertainment/2011/aug/16/farewell-show-held/)

The cast of Soul of Shaolin will perform a farewell show this week.
published: August 16 2011 01:03 PM updated:: August 16 2011 08:43 PM
The cast of Soul of Shaolin will perform a unique farewell show Aug. 19 at the Eastern Shanghai Theater in Sevierville at 7:30 p.m. Admission for Sevier County residents is $5 on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
“The entertainers are leaving Soul of Shaolin to begin a worldwide tour later this year,” said Grace Zhao, director of public relations for Soul of Shaolin. “The tour will travel to Shanghai, India, France, and over 12 other countries.
“Seldom are you fortunate enough to see such a culturally distinctive show, especially with its original award winning Broadway cast.”
In its second season at the Eastern Shanghai Theater in Sevierville, the show was originally conceived and produced in China. Soul of Shaolin is the first ever Chinese production to appear on Broadway.
“I hope everyone will come out on Friday and wish these great performers a special farewell. We will also be giving each person attending the show a special necklace featured in the Soul of Shaolin show,” said Zhao
Soul of Shaolin is located at the Eastern Shanghai Theater at 1304 Parkway in Sevierville, Tennessee. For More Information and to reserve tickets call 877-453-1188 or visit www.EasternShanghaiTheater.com

doug maverick
08-17-2011, 10:01 AM
this show had some really cool moments...why it did have the normal fan fare we kung fu peeps are accustomed to with shaolin, it did have other things that we really havent seen before...

phoenixdog
08-20-2011, 05:23 AM
Saw the performance last week in Seiverville, TN. Very entertaining, great acting and shaolin kung fu.

GeneChing
06-02-2017, 08:37 AM
...Shaolin legs make it to Kuala Lumpur!

'The Soul of Shaolin: Hui Guang's Story' somersaults into Genting Highlands (https://www.nst.com.my/lifestyle/groove/2017/06/244881/soul-shaolin-hui-guangs-story-somersaults-genting-highlands)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ054LDib6g

By OOI TEE CHING - June 1, 2017 @ 8:22pm

KUALA LUMPUR: The Soul of Shaolin: Hui Guang's Story is being staged at Genting Highlands, and since it’s the school holidays, what better time for you and your family to take in an amazing show?

Parents looking to spend quality family time – and enjoy quality live entertainment – may want to take a drive up to the cool highlands and watch this critically-acclaimed theatrical series showcasing Shaolin kung fu, which is among the oldest institutionalised

styles of China’s array of martial arts.

The Soul of Shaolin is billed as China's key cultural export by China's Ministry of Culture, Ministry of Commerce, the State Administration of Radio, Film & Television, and the General Administration of Press and Publication – so what further acclaim do you need?

The Soul of Shaolin will be staged at the Genting International Showroom, twice daily, for a month.

Since making its debut in 2009, the globetrotting Shaolin kung fu warriors have held more than 500 performances across the US, Australia, Italy, Norway, India, Korea, Turkey, Macau, Hong Kong, Turkey and Indonesia.

The Soul of Shaolin deftly blends fast kung fu action and peaceful Buddhist meditation with a heart-warming tale of a small boy growing up in a Shaolin temple, who later reunites with his long-lost mother.

Shaolin kung fu was perfected by monks in the Shaolin temples of Henan province. This particular style of martial arts displays almost superhuman strength and agility, but is tempered by the monks' philosophical belief in fusing the mind, body and soul, as one.

A total of 33 highly-skilled warrior monks will dazzle audiences with awe-inspiring stunts. Their focused meditation underscores the spiritual essence of Shaolin kung fu.

A total of 22 shows are scheduled, with each screening lasting 90 minutes (including 10 minutes’ intermission). The shows start at 9pm and 4pm, from 28th May to 26th June 2017.

Tickets for Soul of Shaolin: the Story of Hui Guang are priced at RM156 (VIP), RM126 (PS1), RM96 (PS2). GRC (Genting Rewards Card) members enjoy a 10 per cent discount.

https://assets.nst.com.my/images/articles/45765675676-768x419.jpg_1496319722.jpg
The Soul of Shaolin: Hui Guang’s story opened on May 28 to June 26.

GeneChing
11-21-2017, 09:23 AM
NOV 20, 2017 @ 11:00 PM 739 The Little Black Book of Billionaire Secrets
China Exporting Its First Open-Ended Musical to Broadway (https://www.forbes.com/sites/marchershberg/2017/11/20/china-exporting-its-first-open-ended-musical-to-broadway/#5a093915449d)
Marc Hershberg , CONTRIBUTOR
Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

https://specials-images.forbesimg.com/imageserve/84309715/960x0.jpg?fit=scale
The cast of 'Soul of Shaolin' perform at the Marquis Theatre on January 15, 2009 (Photo by Neilson Barnard/Getty Images)

Along with the latest gizmos and gadgets, China might soon export a Broadway show.

Earlier this month, Shanghai Heng Yuan Xiang Drama Development Company, a Chinese theatrical production firm, signed a memorandum of understanding with Nederlander Worldwide Entertainment to mount the first open-ended Chinese musical on Broadway. It is scheduled to begin performances in 2019.

The ambitious new musical, which is named Shimmer, shines on a spotlight on when Shanghai sheltered 20,000 Jewish refugees escaping Nazi persecution during the Second World War. Similar the popular Broadway musical Come From Away, recounting how a small town in Newfoundland welcomed thousands of stranded travelers after the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, the Chinese show underscores the therapeutic power of human kindness during dark times.

"Through this drama, the audience can feel the charm of Chinese culture," remarked Sean Stein, the consul general at the U.S. Consulate General in Shanghai. "With this play being shown on Broadway in the future, the ties between the Chinese people and Americans will be firmly strengthened," he observed.

Nederlander Worldwide Entertainment, which is not a part of the renowned Nederlander Organization which operates 29 theaters around the world, has been working to establish ties between Broadway and China ever since it was created in 2000. Robert Nederlander, Sr., the father of the founder, served as a Regent at the University of Michigan, and headed the first delegation of American scholars to China in an effort to thaw international tensions in 1976.

“My father’s interests were diplomacy and reestablishing academic connections,” stated his son, Robert Nederlander, Jr. in 2015. “My interest was exploring commercial opportunities,” he said.

Its first Chinese venture on Broadway, Soul of Shaolin, was a special theatrical event that featured Buddhist monks performing martial arts. The limited engagement earned less than $1.3 million over the course of three weeks in 2009, and one critic wrote that it “ultimately seems a pretty cheap enterprise.” It could not compare to the entertainment on other stages in New York.

With plenty of time remaining to tweak Shimmer, its producers are hoping that critics will be a little more welcoming when the show reaches Broadway. “In the next two years, our team will polish the story and the performance to Broadway standards, providing the audience with the highest level of musical art," promised Chen Zhongwei, the president of the Shanghai-based theatrical production firm.

A new Live Theatrical show (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?49689-Martial-Arts-in-Live-Theater) related to Soul of Shaolin (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?52939-Soul-of-Shaolin)

GeneChing
09-03-2019, 09:25 AM
Action-packed theatrical experience Soul of Shaolin heads to London (https://london-post.co.uk/action-packed-theatrical-experience-soul-of-shaolin-heads-to-london/)
By Ldn-Post September 3, 2019 0

https://london-post.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Soul-of-Shaolin-stick-exercises-small-1024x569.jpg

Playing in London for the first time, the internationally-acclaimed Soul of Shaolin is an action-packed theatrical experience combining a jaw-dropping mix of martial arts, acrobatics, rousing music and stunning theatrical design.

Originally presented at the 2008 Summer Olympics, and the first production from the People’s Republic of China ever to appear on Broadway, Soul of Shaolin has earned nominations at the 63rd Tony Awards for ‘Best Special Theatrical Event’ and the 54th Drama Desk Award for ‘Unique Theatrical Experience’.

Centered around a touching and universal story of loss and redemption, audiences will delight in a high-octane, vivid and extraordinary demonstration of Shaolin Kung Fu, handed down through generations in the legendary Shaolin Monastery, a Chán Buddhist temple at Song Shan near Dengfeng in China.

Caught up in war and turmoil, the story follows a young boy, Hui Guang, separated from his beloved mother and cast adrift in a frightening world. Rescued by monks of the Shaolin Monastery, he trains in the ancient art of Kung Fu. As fate intervenes and his mother returns, will Hui Guang be able to triumph over the barriers holding them apart?

Following more than 500 performances worldwide in countries including the US, Australia, Italy, Norway, India, Korea, Turkey, Macau, Hong Kong, Malaysia and Indonesia, Soul of Shaolin will celebrate its UK debut when it launches for 18 exclusive performances this September at Troubadour Wembley Park Theatre.

Troubadour Wembley Park Theatre is a new flexible 1,000-2,000 seat capacity theatre that opens this summer at Wembley Park, north West London’s dynamic new cultural neighbourhood.

Still going. This show's got legs.

Djuan
09-05-2019, 06:42 AM
Nice! I would love to see it! how is this show compared to Wheel of Life?

GeneChing
09-05-2019, 11:13 AM
You know, it's been years since I've seen a Shaolin show. They used to come through the SF Bay Area with insane regularity (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?37527-Shaolin-Shows-in-SF-Bay-Area) but not so much anymore. I guess the last one was 2015 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68641-The-4th-Shaolin-Cultural-Festival-San-Francisco-CA-Oct-8-11-2015&p=1287998#post1287998), was it? And that whole affair was a mess (read the whole thread (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68641-The-4th-Shaolin-Cultural-Festival-San-Francisco-CA-Oct-8-11-2015) if you don't remember).

Lately the tours only hit the North Bay (like Marin) and Monterey, both of which are kind of a long haul. I was invited to one in Monterey a few years ago - had comp tix but I couldn't make it - too last minute. :(

If I were to pick my fav shows, I'd have to go with the first one because many of the monks that I knew and trained under were on that (read The Dragon and the Eagle - The Shaolin Diaspora in America (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=349)), and then perhaps Shaolin in the Wind (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?41377-Shaolin-in-the-Wind), which I saw in China (read Shaolin Trips: Episode 4: A Hero Watching the Formation (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=583)). I never saw Sutra (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?54913-Sutra) but I think I would really like that one.