PDA

View Full Version : My Street Sign

Tainan Mantis
01-14-2009, 07:31 PM
After reading all the advice on how people get students I was motivated enough to order this one.

I got 100 18"x24" signs.

I will start sticking them in annoying locations tomorrow.

Hope to have good news.

Anyone else ever tried sticking these yard signs? and how did it work out?

Oso
01-14-2009, 07:53 PM
nice, i like it. i hope they help.

MasterKiller
01-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Yeah, that's a good sign. I like that you didn't try to cram a lot of info on it.

Reverend Tap
01-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Bold, bright, and easy to take in very quickly. Excellent design for a yard sign.

And the Bruce Lee color scheme was a nice touch. :cool:

TenTigers
01-14-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm guessing it wasn't due to the Game of Death color scheme but the fact that black on yellow, and red on yellow have the greatest visability.

YouKnowWho
01-14-2009, 10:12 PM
You have 4 pictures in your sign but they all represent kicks and punches.

1. 1 punch,
2. 1 kick,
3. 1 palm strike,
4. 1 stealing step (purpose not sure),

If you can keep the kick and punch but replace the other 2 with "lock" and "throw" (not sure it will make sense for solo, may be you can use weapons if you teach that) then I think you can cover much wider range of customers. Also if you can replace solo to 2 men, it will be even better.

Here is one for your reference (the ACSCA logo):

http://www.combatshuaichiao.com/acsca.html

Oso
01-15-2009, 05:51 AM
YKW: i might be wrong but the 2nd picture is that of a throwing move.

i basically agree that some two person could be cool but it would clutter up the sign...from a basic design point of view, it's a good sign. It has to be seen and 'grokked' quickly by a person in a car moving at least 25mph.

it conveys 'martial arts'...more detail might just be confusing.

Andy: good points, but I think that would require full color printing ($$$) and might be to busy and complicated to take in quickly.

Tainan Mantis
01-15-2009, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the reply all,
Maybe I did not make it clear.
This type of sign is stuck around the city on the road side.

It has to work as people drive by at 45mph.

I haven't put them out yet, but when I do I will provide details such as
# calls
#appointments
#sign ups

Lama Pai Sifu
01-15-2009, 06:16 AM
The sign is okay, but not as effective as it can be.

Everyone's talk about pictures is ridiculous.

As he mentioned, you see the ad while driving. The pictures are superfluous. No time or room for stick figures or line drawings. Waste of space = waste of money.

This is better. Three lines.

GOT FAT?

TRY KUNG-FU!

(555) 555-1212

Make them either black and yellow or White and Red (better)

Make the first line in Red Text

The second line is Reverse Text (white) on a Red Bar (stripe)

The phone number in Red Text.

This is much better.

Try and get them at Stop Signs, Stop Light or at least places where cars bottleneck.

Good luck all!

Oh, and don't count the number of signs up into the effectiveness of this ad.

The ad's job is to get the phone to ring or get them to walk in, that is all.

Signing people up is up to YOU. The ad never signs people up, it just gives you the opportunity to do so.

TenTigers
01-15-2009, 09:04 AM
good point-I was going to mention that people reading your sign are not going to be particular about what the figures are doing. They are doing Martial Arts. Period. As LamaPaiSifu said, it's a sighn. It's sole purpose is to make the phone ring. All the info about what you teach will come later.

yu shan
01-15-2009, 09:56 AM
I like this sign and the kung fu figures look good. It is differant than anything else they will see out on the road side. I have used these colors before and done well with them. Yes I agree keep it simple to read and put at intersections or high traffic areas. Not sure about codes or laws in Tampa, but in my area some places frown on putting these signs out. Also, keep checking your signs to make sure they are still up. I would be interested in how much these cost. Your sign looks great, and being a kung fu junkie, I`d come check out class!

David Jamieson
01-15-2009, 02:51 PM
looks good!

run with it!

put it at eye level while seated in an average sized car.

number is bold, kungfu is bold.

all good

Oso
01-15-2009, 03:51 PM
yea, definitely keep tabs on the signs...I've had my flyers ripped down on way too frequent an occasion in some locations to not believe it was someone from another school pulling them.

Tainan Mantis
01-17-2009, 06:30 PM
We put the signs up Thursday night. Maybe 15 or 25.

As of Saturday morning they are mostly all gone.

At least the areas I checked.

Got one meeting set up for Monday.

One hoser from another school trying to pass off as a Pappa asking,"How is your program structured?"

Probably from the school where my sign is acroos the street. So many schools around here it is almost impossible to avoid putting your sign right in front of someone else's school.

Funny thing, I got this email day after I put up the signs. DOn't know if it is a coincidence since I didn't actually put signs up in London, but this fellow says that is where he is.

"...You just get back to me with the cost for private lesson in your home for 4 weeks. I have someone that can drive him to your place for the lessons. Just get back to me with the total cost for 4 weeks so I can make payment to you immediately before I go on a business trip to Asia. I,ll just send a cheque. I think that will be better.

Reply me with the total cost (1 hr daily at your convenient time)...."

Oso
01-17-2009, 06:58 PM
i get those emails fairly regularly...usually it's the 'daughter' that they want me to teach 'privately' ...yea, right...

that sucks that the signs are being taken down so quickly...maybe I'm wrong here, but sounds like the competition is probably doing it...

time for a turf war!!!!

;)

just kidding...

it's a tough row to hoe, shifu...

TenTigers
01-17-2009, 11:11 PM
yeah, I get those e-mails too, but they are from Nigerian bankers wanting to learn dim-mak numchucks in private lessons. They will pay me 2 million in gold boullion,(wtf would I do with 24 karat soup?) if I give them my bank account so they can safely transfer it into my account.
I would do it, but I just don't need the soup. If it was pei dahn sou yuhk jook, well, that's another story...

solidtux
01-18-2009, 05:40 PM
We put the signs up Thursday night. Maybe 15 or 25.

Funny thing, I got this email day after I put up the signs. DOn't know if it is a coincidence since I didn't actually put signs up in London, but this fellow says that is where he is.

"...You just get back to me with the cost for private lesson in your home for 4 weeks. I have someone that can drive him to your place for the lessons. Just get back to me with the total cost for 4 weeks so I can make payment to you immediately before I go on a business trip to Asia. I,ll just send a cheque. I think that will be better.

Reply me with the total cost (1 hr daily at your convenient time)...."

Sounds like a scam to me. It may not be, but I'd be very weary. I've heard of this scam where they send you a check for a ridiculously high amount. Then they call you and say they made a mistake but that you should go ahead and cash the check anyway and send back one of your checks for the difference minus some money for your troubles. So you send the check, but the one that they sent you bounces and you end up at a big loss.

So yeah... I'd watch out for that guy from London who has a friend that can somehow drive his car to Florida for private lessons.