PDA

View Full Version : Happy Buddha in Lion Dance

wetwonder
01-15-2009, 08:02 PM
I've been asked to become the happy buddha for the Lion Dances this New Year's season, which are many. Is this a good or bad thing?

mantis108
01-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Well, you do realize that the Happy Buddha always has a comedic role right? So be prepare to entertain and clown around. ;) :D

Mantis108

wetwonder
01-15-2009, 10:46 PM
And, is that a good thing?

TenTigers
01-16-2009, 12:33 AM
anything you do to support your Sifu and your school (well, within reason) is a good thing.
Happy Buddha is an important job. It not only leads the Lions to where the need to go(in a restaurant, towards people holding lai-see,to the kitchen, etc) it helps with the blessing on the establishment, and he is the "air traffic controller" when there are more than one lion, so they don't sniff each others' tails, or brings them together for specific duties. It is important in all cases.

David Jamieson
01-16-2009, 08:39 AM
It is your job to lead the lion to the choi-chang, tease the lion and have it find the greens, then lead it to the next one. distract the lion from the people and guide it.

(more practically speaking, keep the lion out of traffica nd from bumping into things) :)

yes it's a good thing! do a lot of stances and fan waving and wave at the people who watch, play with the kids too. physical comedy is also good.

aktionmancer
01-21-2009, 07:05 PM
i love being the fat man.

its lots of fun.
if you can do any acrobatics, the crowd loves it.

we modded our buddha mask to have a chopstick on the inside to clamp down on so when you do an aerial, a jump kick, whatever, the head stays relatively still.

we did have to put some cushion in the top tho.

gets really sweaty tho.

you just have to remember to walk super chinese gangster like (as in the way peking opera ppl walk, a slight swagger, alot of head tilts).

have fun

friday
01-21-2009, 07:27 PM
people usually do not like to do this roll and you get roped in...especially if you are new ;)

jo
01-21-2009, 10:30 PM
I've been asked to become the happy buddha for the Lion Dances this New Year's season, which are many. Is this a good or bad thing?

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Has your Sifu given you ANY instruction or training in the protocols and footwork of being a "Dai Tao Fut"?

Or are you being thrown in at the last minute because more bodies look better at a demo?

- jo

wetwonder
01-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Yes, I was given instruction on the movements, focus and purpose. I did it for the first time this past weekend and it went over very well. I received many compliments from the crowd, parents and fellow students. My initial impression from this first time is that it's a good role if done in the proper spirit - if it excites the crowd and draws them more into the dance, and makes the kids and elders happy.