PDA

View Full Version : Blood?

brainwars
01-18-2009, 02:24 PM
During a quiet sunday afternoon pint I was disscussing with a couple of mates the benefits of using a protein powder, after a hard strength training session. The 'disscussion' evolved through many side issues into one of drinking blood.
So my question is; are there any health benefits to drinking blood (cows blood i suppose), and if so what are they and is it even legal?

franco1688
01-18-2009, 11:02 PM
I heard it can increase logetivity but one of the draw backs is that you cannot come into contact with direct sunlight. Try it out and let me know how it works out for you. Joking aside I know that the Masi (I think that's how it's spelled), a tribe in Africa, tap into live cows and drink blood from them but I think it may be more out of necessity than for its health benefits.

Mr Punch
01-19-2009, 06:17 AM
No idea but I can only guess:

1) Isn't it very fatty? Look at black pudding.

2) If they were your cows, drinking cows' blood wouldn't be illegal in itself would it..! Why would anyone even think to pass a law prohibiting it!? Buut, unless you were very careful you'd almost certainly be falling foul of animal welfare in farming or animal cruelty laws.

3) I imagine the chance of disease would be extremely high, even if just colds and flus, given the number of transmittable viruses between say, pigs and humans, and the directness of the ingestion.

CFT
01-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Black pudding is a totally different animal ;)
You actually add fat to the blood to make it. Blood products are quite common in European cuisine especially in Eastern Europe (I think). The French have it with their pressed duck (canard au sang). Drinking it straight from a cow might be unique to the Masai though.

Cantonese Chinese cuisine has cubes of coagulated pigs blood which look like silken tofu. Served with rice porridge (congee) or stir fried with green leafy vegetables.

Mr Punch
01-19-2009, 05:21 PM
Black pudding is a totally different animal ;)
You actually add fat to the blood to make it.Ahhhh! I did wonder. Thanks Chee!

David Jamieson
01-19-2009, 05:50 PM
eat red meat and you are eating blood. :-)

David Jamieson
01-19-2009, 07:52 PM
wait a minute...mmmmm tasty tasty blood.

ys, drink lots of it! ask your friends to give a little up!

CFT
01-20-2009, 03:15 AM
eat red meat and you are eating blood. :-)Only minimal amounts. The first act of slaughtering, after humanely killing the animal, is to cut the carotid to drain the blood. I saw a pig being slaughtered on a TV show - you couldn't imagine the amount of blood gushing out!

CFT
01-20-2009, 03:16 AM
Ahhhh! I did wonder. Thanks Chee!You do have a point though. What is a pig or cow's blood cholesterol like?

GreenCloudCLF
02-06-2009, 09:10 PM
You guys need to forget the blood. Eating human muscle is the best. Someone has already processed the protein, it is now more bioavailable than if you were to eat whey protein. Start eating people.

Lee Chiang Po
02-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Fresh blood would not have a great deal more nutrition than raw flesh of the same. However, I would avoid eating raw pork products. The chances of getting sick from it is far greater than with other animals. I don't think you would get much real benefit from it. I have boiled large roasts in a crock pot and cooled and drank the stock broth. It is as nutritious as cooked meat but is far easier for the gut to digest and utilize. I don't think you would have to worry about the cholesterol or fat.