PDA

View Full Version : Most Important Street Fighting Skill

WinterPalm
01-20-2009, 11:00 AM
In your guy's opinions, what is the most integral drill or skill set to have in terms of street survival.

I was thinking about this yesterday and I came to the conclusion that standing wrestling - in all its varieties, is the most important.
What makes it so important?

The other guy has a knife.:eek:

IMO, if you learn to defend an incoming knife, and then wrestle, defend, while in the clinch, this will probably be the most important skill you could develop.
Fights often end in the clinch and if someone is really coming at you, controlling the knife is always a priority so it would seem that live practice with a fake knife in the clinch would be a priority.

Thoughts?

BoulderDawg
01-20-2009, 11:03 AM
The ability to use your brain to avoid violence

WinterPalm
01-20-2009, 12:35 PM
The ability to use your brain to avoid violence

I bet your proud of that response!:rolleyes:

bawang
01-20-2009, 01:07 PM
wont dont u carry a knife of your own?
the most important skill is listenging skill and eye skill
watching for shadows behind u and listening for footsteps

sanjuro_ronin
01-20-2009, 01:16 PM
The ability to take someone out and they stay out.

WinterPalm
01-20-2009, 01:53 PM
The ability to take someone out and they stay out.

You're just suggesting a basic cross to the chin? What is your reasoning?

Oh yeah, obviously awareness should be the first thing addressed but I was looking more at actual confrontation you can't avoid type of stuff. Otherwise the answer should actually be never leave your home.:)

BoulderDawg
01-20-2009, 02:06 PM
There is no defense against a normal guy who's looking to cut you. Unless you're really lucky or you're the one out of a thousand guys that has enough trainng to defend against you are going to get cut.

My comment about using your brain is the best however if some guy just jumps out at you do your best to rock him once or twice then run like hell.

sanjuro_ronin
01-20-2009, 02:14 PM
You're just suggesting a basic cross to the chin? What is your reasoning?

Oh yeah, obviously awareness should be the first thing addressed but I was looking more at actual confrontation you can't avoid type of stuff. Otherwise the answer should actually be never leave your home.:)

MY reasoning ?
Incapacitated people are not a threat.
By the way, I said nothing of strikes, I said "take someone out", whatever method you are best at.

TenTigers
01-20-2009, 02:21 PM
first strike capability. This means speed, accuracy,target aquisition,power generation, positioning, deceptiveness, explosive movement, and aggression, coupled with
The mental capability to initiate action and see it through without hesitation.

sanjuro_ronin
01-20-2009, 02:23 PM
first strike capability. This means speed, accuracy,target aquisition,power generation, positioning, deceptiveness, explosive movement, and aggression, coupled with
The mental capability to initiate action and see it through without hesitation.

You forgot adamatium laced skeleton and claws.

TenTigers
01-20-2009, 02:29 PM
You forgot adamatium laced skeleton and claws.

duh, that's a given.:rolleyes:

TenTigers
01-20-2009, 02:31 PM
oh yeah, and silk pajamas.
(what was I thinking?)

Reverend Tap
01-20-2009, 02:40 PM
It ties into awareness, but I'd say being able to switch over into "combat mode" ("Autobots, roll out!" :D ) quickly and explosively, without panicking or being distracted by outside factors (wearing street or dress clothes rather than a MA uni, for example). All the training out there does you no good if you can't use it because you're wearing the wrong shoes. ;)

David Jamieson
01-20-2009, 05:09 PM
stabbing.

oh, and running before the cops show up.

Lee Chiang Po
01-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Plenty of handle, small but very sharp blade. Never stab. Always cut. In most instances if a person is pulling a knife on you it is after some sort of altercation. If you are in a dark alley you probably shouldn't be there. I would try to avoid places where I am likely to be attacked. In a fight or altercation you need to be aware that submitting a person is dangerous. They lie to you. If you release him to go his way he will then arm himself in some way and attack you again. This time you will likely get hurt or even killed. So, if you have a person controlled, go ahead and break something so he will be unable to continue the fight. His friends would possibly get into the fight and this way you will have one less person to deal with. Only a fool stands and attempts to take away a knife from an irate person. The only time you need do something so foolish would be if you were trapped and had absolutely no other recourse. And when it comes down to that, be serious and inflict injury or death if you can. It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6. I heard that somewhere. I have been stabbed a few times. But I have also been cut rather seriously a time or 2. Knives scare me, so if I am facing someone with a knife I look for some sort of weapon and will counter attack with deadly force. I will also use dangerous techniques. Most people that will pull a knife do so because of a condition some refer to as yellow belly. If you show them that you are also armed with a cutting tool they usually decide to talk about it.

xcakid
01-22-2009, 05:38 AM
In your guy's opinions, what is the most integral drill or skill set to have in terms of street survival.

I was thinking about this yesterday and I came to the conclusion that standing wrestling - in all its varieties, is the most important.

IMO, if you learn to defend an incoming knife, and then wrestle, defend, while in the clinch, this will probably be the most important skill you could develop.
Fights often end in the clinch and if someone is really coming at you, controlling the knife is always a priority so it would seem that live practice with a fake knife in the clinch would be a priority.

Thoughts?

I am now older with various aches and pains and not as fast. I use martial arts for fitness primarily. Thank goodness I live in the State of Texas where the 2nd Ammendment is still considered part of The US Constitution.

For street fighting, it would have to life and death situation for me to get involved. Otherwise call me sissy, cause I just run away. I will use my martial arts to get to my firearm. Otherwise, I'm shooting first, calling the cops, and then my lawyer in that exact order. :D

So for street "fighting", I have taken courses here:
http://www.tftt.com/TFTT_Tac_Pistol.htm
http://www.tigervalley.com/

Exadon
01-22-2009, 06:16 AM
the hadouken

m1k3
01-22-2009, 08:00 AM
Avoid settings with large amounts of alcohol and testosterone. :D

Ray Pina
01-22-2009, 08:15 AM
The intention to finish the job no matter what.

TenTigers
01-22-2009, 08:24 AM
xcakid-I have a friend who goes on vacations to Thunder Ranch!
Most people go to Vegas, Bali, The Bahamas...nope. This guy packs his suitcase with two thousand rounds of ammo, and a change of clothes.

David Jamieson
01-22-2009, 09:48 AM
escape.

if you are with someone, their escape, then yours.

or

their escape, then stab, then run before the cops come.

xcakid
01-22-2009, 01:31 PM
xcakid-I have a friend who goes on vacations to Thunder Ranch!
Most people go to Vegas, Bali, The Bahamas...nope. This guy packs his suitcase with two thousand rounds of ammo, and a change of clothes.

2K rounds. He needs to shoot more. :D

Seriously though. When I use to compete heavily. I would use up 500 to 700 rds per tournament. Depending on how many stages there are. I would do that 2-3 times a month.

Then tough times hit. :(

David Jamieson
01-22-2009, 01:32 PM
2K rounds. He needs to shoot more. :D

Seriously though. When I use to compete heavily. I would use up 500 to 700 rds per tournament. Depending on how many stages there are. I would do that 2-3 times a month.

Then tough times hit. :(

You realize you can make your own ammo much cheaper than buying retail boxloads right? :p

SimonM
01-22-2009, 02:30 PM
Definately the headbutt.

TenTigers
01-22-2009, 03:09 PM
one of my former Sifus had a reloading room in the back of the Mo-Kwoon. We used to go to the range after class. Good times.

Lucas
01-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Definately the headbutt.

ah the headbutt. the technique that can end the fight before it ever begins.

you know those guys that almost try to kiss you getting in your face? headbutt to the ol bridge takes those guys out fast.

Hardwork108
01-23-2009, 07:40 PM

Thoughts?

The most important thing in my opinion is the INTENTION to do the required damage, given that you have fighting skills. All the best techniques in the world will fall apart if you donīt have the necessary intention! And yes even intention has to be trained.

By the way, if you donīt have the fighting skills then the INTENTION to run would also be handy.:p

Kansuke
01-24-2009, 01:03 AM
Ok 'hardwork,' do you?

Mr Punch
01-24-2009, 05:46 PM
The ability to take someone out and they stay out.Is that like RD? I hear he takes a woman out and they never come back...

As for street fighting: sledges, angle-grinders and pneumatic drills.

I'll get me coat... :o

It's impossible to answer this question because of the myriad scenarios, but the ability to recognise, avoid and defuse violent situations is a goodie. I never want to be street fighter: if you have to fight you've already lost. But above all, I'd say parkour: I want ability to turn on short bursts of extreme aggression to hit them with anything really hard, and the skills of parkour.

bawang
01-24-2009, 05:49 PM
i dont know if anyoone know this, but if u dress and walk like a gangster no one will rob u its true
when i have to go to a bad neighborhood i always wear my scary black hoodie

Kansuke
01-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Is that like RD? I hear he takes a woman out and they never come back....

That's because everytime they ask him a question he insists on writing "reply]" on a big piece of paper and showing it to them first before he can say anything.

xcakid
01-24-2009, 08:36 PM
You realize you can make your own ammo much cheaper than buying retail boxloads right? :p

yep. never got into it though. been saying I should, but I never do.

David Jamieson
01-25-2009, 10:34 AM
That's because everytime they ask him a question he insists on writing "reply]" on a big piece of paper and showing it to them first before he can say anything.

dude, that's f-ing funny. :p