PDA

View Full Version : Economy gonna hit the tournament circuit?

xcakid
01-21-2009, 05:22 AM
Well, we have been training a few guys to compete in 09 in a few Sanda/Sanshou fight here in TX and nearby states. They are coming along great and getting some good conditioning/training. Well wouldn't you know it, tough times hit. Seems the entrance fee is gonna be a bit out of the budget. Let alone some travel expenses.

I believe these guys would've been good and would do well in their respective weight class. Kinda dissapointing for them and for me as well. I think they were looking forward to really trying out their skills. And I was looking forward to see if my coaching is actually worth squat. Kinda selfish, I know. At least one, maybe 2 of them will be able to still compete.

Luckily our school enrollment is still holding steady.

Wonder if the tournament circuit will be hit with this credit crunch due to the lack of participation stemming from the lack of disposable income? What do you guys think?

Chief_Suicide
01-21-2009, 05:36 AM
My Kung Fu school just competed in a Tae Kwon Do tournament in Louisville called the battle of Mason Dixon. The fee to for points sparring/forms/weapons forms was $40 dollars. I believe that was the same as last year.

Our school actually had more participants this year than last, and our school enrollment is up over last year as well. I know there has been some 'economy' casualties already, but so far we're doing well.

xcakid
01-21-2009, 05:45 AM
My Kung Fu school just competed in a Tae Kwon Do tournament in Louisville called the battle of Mason Dixon. The fee to for points sparring/forms/weapons forms was $40 dollars. I believe that was the same as last year.

Our school actually had more participants this year than last, and our school enrollment is up over last year as well. I know there has been some 'economy' casualties already, but so far we're doing well.

That is one good thing about open tournaments. They are quite inexpensive. We have a circuit that some of our students go to. Mainly compete in forms. That whole point sparring thing is lost to us. :D We end up getting DQ'd or losing. We just don't practice pt sparring. However, its great for form competition. A few of our students actually made it to State Championships.

Even there, over the past years I've seen lesser people showing up.

I wished KF tournaments were as cheap as the open tournament. :( Most will charge upwards of $70+ for Sanshou. And typically $45-60 for single forms division. There one in Oklahoma though that does charge $40-50 for 2 events.

Chief_Suicide
01-21-2009, 06:28 AM
I agree with the point sparring thing. Seems if you get a solid hit on the other guy and he grazes you, he gets the point. Never understood that.

Yeah, it was an open tournament. Our school did ok, but better in forms than point sparring...... :)

GLW
01-21-2009, 09:07 AM
As far as the economy and competitions go, there is good news and bad news.

The good news :

Since there are fewer people parting with disposable income these days, the rates that tournament promoters can negotiate with hotels should get to be lower...since the hotels should be hungrier for business and willing to deal.

That is about it on the good news side.

On the bad news:

If you have to travel via air, don't expect the good deals on round trip flights you could get 5 years ago. Flight specials, times, etc...are going to be harder to get and cost more...with fewer flights and higher fuel costs...so it goes.

If you are driving, expect to spend more on gas. Granted, it is not as expensive as it was a few months ago, but it still has the potential to go sky high... and HAS been creeping upward again.

So, if you are a promoter, you need to make sure you don't lose your shirt doing an event. So, now you have fewer people who can travel - many are cutting back and watching their money due to a shaky economy...and fear of job loss.

You have higher cost for travel...but lower cost for rooms are possible. You MIGHT be able to get a location for an event a bit cheaper - but again, with a shaky economy, fewer people are putting out the money to compete or travel...

So, it will be a bumpy ride. I would guess that if you hit an event that has 600 competitors last year...and had them from all over the US, this year, the event may draw at best, 2/3 of that....if it is held at all....since many promoters also run schools...and their schools are hurting because the money to pay for classes comes out of discretionary disposable income...that is disappearing.

Shaolindynasty
01-21-2009, 09:39 AM
I don't know about rates getting lower, sanshou is $80 this year at jimmy wongs tournament.

xcakid
01-21-2009, 11:10 AM
I don't know about rates getting lower, sanshou is $80 this year at jimmy wongs tournament.

Sure is. I was actually advising our competitor not to sign up until a week or so prior to the event. Just in case they incur an injury and unable to compete. That may not be prudent since its $20 more to sign up late. We just have to adjust training instead.

GLW
01-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Well, I am not sure how they run the full contact stuff - if at all - at an Open Competition....

But in regards to the rest of the events...like forms, point sparring, etc... The typical Open event has some lower costs and expectations.

Many of them do not have a large roster of judges invited. I have been to events where they call out for "Black Belts and Instructors" to come to a meeting - where they are then drafted into being judges and officials.

Contrast that with Chinese events where there are virtually zero judges added at the event...and none added by a cattle call approach.

The reward for going as a judge and working all day long is typically a so-so lunch, half of your hotel paid for (they usually want you to share a room...) and if you are lucky and they have a dinner, you may get that for free too....

In a cattle call scenario, you don't offer much but a hearty thank you for a person working the event.

Also, open events have a larger group of potential competitors (ie. revenue stream) so you can use the same space, cattle call judges to run as many rings as you can, and get more people....so more people, lower cost per person, higher profit....

MasterKiller
01-21-2009, 12:03 PM
I wished KF tournaments were as cheap as the open tournament. :( Most will charge upwards of $70+ for Sanshou. And typically $45-60 for single forms division. There one in Oklahoma though that does charge $40-50 for 2 events.

You talking about Hildreth's tournament in Tulsa? He canceled it last year, I believe. Not sure if it's on this year or not.

Shaolindynasty
01-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Reguardless of the the cost I do recommend jimmy wongs tournament. It's run very well with lots of competitors and some cool extra events like seminars and a kick ass opening ceremony/ masters demo

xcakid
01-21-2009, 10:29 PM
You talking about Hildreth's tournament in Tulsa? He canceled it last year, I believe. Not sure if it's on this year or not.

Seems a lot of CMA tournaments got cancelled last year.

I have not seen or heard anything about his tourney this year so I am not sure its still on. But I believe that does not happen till sept., so it may be early yet.

sha0lin1
01-22-2009, 07:53 AM
Reguardless of the the cost I do recommend jimmy wongs tournament. It's run very well with lots of competitors and some cool extra events like seminars and a kick ass opening ceremony/ masters demo

I agree, here in Texas Wong's tournament is the shizzle. The largest one in Texas and its all CMA. I was really disappointed he didn't have it last year. I am surprised it is not a Tiger Claw Elite event, it draws lots of excellent competitors from across the nation and internationally.

xcakid
01-22-2009, 12:24 PM
I agree, here in Texas Wong's tournament is the shizzle. The largest one in Texas and its all CMA. I was really disappointed he didn't have it last year. I am surprised it is not a Tiger Claw Elite event, it draws lots of excellent competitors from across the nation and internationally.

that would be nice to have tc elite event in tx. at least we will have 2 cma tourneys in dallas come 2010. sifu wong and sifu lee.

sha0lin1
01-23-2009, 08:32 AM
that would be nice to have tc elite event in tx. at least we will have 2 cma tourneys in dallas come 2010. sifu wong and sifu lee.

What is Sifu Lee's event? Another one that seemed like an up and coming tournament destination was Jin Cai Cheng's tournament in Houston. I competed in the first and second ones, the third was cancelled last year, I wonder if he is doing it again this year.

xcakid
01-23-2009, 10:57 AM
What is Sifu Lee's event? Another one that seemed like an up and coming tournament destination was Jin Cai Cheng's tournament in Houston. I competed in the first and second ones, the third was cancelled last year, I wonder if he is doing it again this year.

Here's Sifu Lee's. http://www.kungfuchampionship.com/dallas/index.htm
Its done in conjunction with Master Scrima.

HIMAC was pretty good in 07. I did not compete but came to watch. I was looking at the website at it still show the 2007 info there. He also does that under the USAWKF umbrella and their website does not show anything for 09. :(

blckavnger
01-25-2009, 01:14 AM
there was a tournament in 08 in Tulsa by hildreth; you can see it on youtube.
i think it was part of USAWKF this time which i dont know if thats always
the case.

Oso
01-25-2009, 08:26 AM
probably...we've gone to the Great Lakes tournament for the past 2 years in April but it's going to be tough with 16 hours or driving (gas costs) and two nights in a hotel plus the tourney fees...plus, i'd like to compete myself in a NAGA event in March that's a 4 hour drive away+costs and if i get in shape enough for that i'd probably compete in the Shuai Jiao in Cleveland...if I can afford it which is not looking too likely.