PDA

View Full Version : Sash progression with kids vrs adults.

Exadon
01-23-2009, 07:08 AM
I do know that traditional kung-fu had no "sash system" yet most schools now a days have one. My question is how does your school deal with kids in belt progression vrs adults

Just to get an idea of what is the standard for schools.

I am guessing most schools are not as strict for children…however does this change at a point? For example maybe white to yellow your school would cut children some slack…but someone testing for their brown/red/black needs to perform at top notch?

Thank you for your input

MasterKiller
01-23-2009, 07:30 AM
I do know that traditional kung-fu had no "sash system" yet most schools now a days have one. My question is how does your school deal with kids in belt progression vrs adults

Just to get an idea of what is the standard for schools.

I am guessing most schools are not as strict for children…however does this change at a point? For example maybe white to yellow your school would cut children some slack…but someone testing for their brown/red/black needs to perform at top notch?

Thank you for your input

My teacher broke the curriculum up for kids, so they only had to learn half the requirements for each advancement, which meant they had more ranks than adults. He also refused to promote anyone under 16 to black.

TenTigers
01-23-2009, 09:02 AM
My teacher broke the curriculum up for kids, so they only had to learn half the requirements for each advancement, which meant they had more ranks than adults. He also refused to promote anyone under 16 to black.
that sounds about right. Break up the curriculum into smaller bite-sized peices.
I do something similar; The kids learn the same forms requirements-which I have downsized considerably-not into forms collecting. The more complicated and dangerous self-defense techniques are for adults only. It's only a few per rank, so when they reach proper age, it only takes a few months to catch up.