PDA

View Full Version : For instructors "show off moves"

YouKnowWho
01-23-2009, 10:20 PM
If you are an instructor, what will you do to impress your new student in the 1st day?

- Beat the sh!t out of that new guy?
- Throw him down over and over until he can't get back up?
- Show him that you can stand in horse stance for 1 hour?
- Show him that you can bench press 300 lb?
- Ask him to kick at you nuts as hard as he can?
- Give him a head lock to see if he can get out?
- Get hold on him and see if he can move?
- Show him that you have a 12 inch d!ck.
- Show him your criminal record to prove that you are a BMF?

TenTigers
01-24-2009, 12:07 AM
I teach him how to throw gwa choy, cup choy, and sow choy.
And a Tiger's Mouth/leg reap takedown. That usually does it.

MasterKiller
01-24-2009, 07:14 AM
I just throw them in to the class. I don't have time to separate new guys. They just work on whatever everyone else is doing, just at a lower intensity.

Oso
01-24-2009, 07:29 AM
LMAO. can we do all of the above?

but seriously, they see whatever we are working on and I try to explain it to them so they get what we are doing and how it fits in to the overall picture.

and if that doesn't hook them i will usually let them know the big secret! (of course, I don't tell this to every student...just the ones that look like naturals ;) )

Kung Fu is really about learning to time travel!!!!

YouKnowWho
01-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Back in the 70th if you can't kick like Bruce Lee did then you won't have any students. One student came in to my school and asked me if I could kick to the ceiling. I had to do what Bruce Lee did in his Green Hornet TV serious and jump up in the air and kick at the light ball (I didn't break it).

TenTigers
01-24-2009, 08:24 AM
I also throw them into the class, but I assign a buddy for him, explain things and tell him that it is his job to make as many mistakes as possible. Not on purpose, but that it's ok that he doesn't get things on the first day. That takes alot of the pressure off of him, as newbies are harder on themselves than the instructor.

SPJ
01-24-2009, 08:46 AM
1. in the old school;

usually, there will be a picture or a altar with a picture of the teacher's teacher.

and we are students of this great teacher.

that would be enough.

2. in the new school;

if the new prospective student may see how other students are doing, that is enough.

"like student like teacher" so they said.

3 if an instructor wants to show off, just assume a posture and hold as long as you could,

to test his correctness in posture (alignment) and ding li or power of being still/slowness (oops, that is for internal dudes)

for external dudes, to see how fast you move/punch/kick/throw, not necessarily how hard/heavy--

--

:D

EarthDragon
01-24-2009, 09:21 AM
humblness from the teacher shows everything you need to see when walking into a class.
For the teacher to have to show off means he is trying to impress his new students that he is worthy of thier learning and thier money..... this is like a millionaire bragging about how much money he has...
you must realize the guy bragging about how much money he has has only a little.
If you have it and you know it theres no need to show it.. it will be shown on its own.........

The man who toots his own heard cannot be heard across the village........but the man who's horn is tooted by others can be heard across the valley.

TenTigers
01-24-2009, 10:25 AM
you must realize the guy bragging about how much money he has has only a little.

yep-around these here parts, we call that,
"Big Hat, No Cattle."

Oso
01-24-2009, 12:33 PM
I also throw them into the class, but I assign a buddy for him, explain things and tell him that it is his job to make as many mistakes as possible. Not on purpose, but that it's ok that he doesn't get things on the first day. That takes alot of the pressure off of him, as newbies are harder on themselves than the instructor.

yea, making them realize that mistakes are part of the process is issential...but, it's surprising to see how many people can't let go and be cool with screwing up...just keep practicing, eventually you'll screw up the first thing you learned less and less

ED: relax man, obviously YKW was joking about most of the stuff in his first post...but it was still ****ed funny!

YouKnowWho
01-24-2009, 01:07 PM
impress his new students.
I had a student who walked into my school and asked me what will he learned in the 1st month. I asked one of my old students to show him the class content. After he saw that, he said, "Only one kick?" He then walked out of my door and I have never seen him since then. After that day, I started to teach new students the spin back kick, flying side kick, jumping crescent kick, jumping double kicks, tornado kick, ... in their 1st month. I didn't care whether they could learn it or not as long as they would come back. It was hard to teach CMA in US when Bruce Lee was still alived. Those students only wanted to learn fancy high kicks and nothing else.

EarthDragon
01-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Oso, yeah I knew he was kidding well expect for the kickin in the nutz thing that might work.......LOL

BNut my post was serious. I have had so many walk into the school and ask lots of questions. usually the more questions they ask the sooner they quit, they want to much to fast but dont want to put the time in...

Youknowwho,
while I understand you need quanity to pay the bills.. I stray away form these types as they will just clog your classes and take time away from your true life long students...I have had 4 students with me for 10 plus years... the rest come and go..........and yes in the old days a student had to prove his worthyness dedication etc etc but in america the check book makes them worthy......... sad but true.

YouKnowWho
01-24-2009, 04:21 PM
Just to prove my school did exist (not just bragging). If you look at those guy's hair style, you will know which period of time it was from.

http://johnswang.com/break.jpg

lkfmdc
01-25-2009, 11:51 AM
I usually feel the school as a whole speaks for itself, but when the occassional hard head comes in I often have them hold the "suitcase pad" and leg kick it a few times ;)

Tainan Mantis
01-25-2009, 12:20 PM
As a new student I have had these done to me:

One new teacher slept while I did round kicks before sunrise on his patio. After a week of this my GF was outside and he woke and came out and kicked the crabp out of me so hard I wanted to cry. But, my GF was watching so...I had to keep my cool.

But, I had trouble walking for a week.

If not the teacher, then the student kicked my butt.

One student beat me so bad (different school) I had trouble walking for two weeks.

One time, first class, just meet the teacher. I asked if I could rest for a moment after over an hour of struggling on the losing end of 'the mount.' Got a big butt chew for that from "the mounter" as the teacher didn't speak much English.

Oh yeah, before class started the teacher kicked my bott for about 5 minutes. I wasn't sure if he wanted to do that, but the student told him something that I had supposedly said like, "this guy thinks he can beat you." Which I never said, but..hey..that's life.

First taiji class I went to in Taiwan the teacher stood there and let me try an push him for a while, then he threw me around for the rest of the class.
Taiji doesn't hurt so much so it wasn't so bad. He was semi fair, he would beat up all his students, in fact, I think that was the only reason he liked teaching.

One time a student invites me to a class and the teacher wants to see me fight his top student first.
I was feeling a little funny about that so it was a no go.

Don't show up for about 2 years until I am invited back. No teacher is there so I am sparring all the students. Then the teacher shows up and sees me fight for a few minutes. I he is visibly unimpressed.

The student then asks if teacher wants to fight me. SO now I have to fight the teacher who can't lose face. That one got a little out of hand.

But, if I am the teacher I just let them do stretch and kicks with the rest of the class.

TenTigers
01-25-2009, 02:48 PM
The best show off move is that I show them they can. I empower them. If you can show them something and it makes sense to them and you tripple their power, who cares what I can do?

www.imperialtao.com

bingo.:cool:

Hardwork108
01-25-2009, 03:10 PM
If you are an instructor, what will you do to impress your new student in the 1st day?

I was always under the impression that it is the kung fu student who has to impress the sifu and not the other way round. ;)

golden arhat
01-25-2009, 03:13 PM
the most impressed i've ever been was not being able to move the day after my first class.

YouKnowWho
01-25-2009, 03:14 PM
I was always under the impression that it is the kung fu student who has to impress the sifu and not the other way round. ;)
It's very easy for a student to impress his teacher. All he needs to do is to pull out a $100 bills to pay his tuition and said, "keep the change".

Hardwork108
01-25-2009, 03:55 PM
It's very easy for a student to impress his teacher. All he needs to do is to pull out a $100 bills to pay his tuition and said, "keep the change".

You and I are obviously not talking about the same kind of kung fu school. When I talk about kung fu schools I generally mean the real and the authentic ones and not the McDonald variety (which are the majority nowadays)!

If you think that you can impress your sifu with a hundered dollar bill then you should turn around and run to a different school.

YouKnowWho
01-25-2009, 04:00 PM
You and I are obviously not talking about the same kind of kung fu school.
I was joking. I try not to be too serious sometime. :)

It's like Bill Gates said, "I may not have college degree but I can hire a lots of Phd to work for me." It may sound very sad but there is some truth in it.

Hardwork108
01-25-2009, 04:18 PM
I was joking. I try not to be too serious sometime. :)

It's like Bill Gates said, "I may not have college degree but I can hire a lots of Phd to work for me." It may sound very sad but there is some truth in it.

No offence taken.:)

Boy how I wish I had a Phd. ;)

golden arhat
01-25-2009, 05:22 PM
You and I are obviously not talking about the same kind of kung fu school. When I talk about kung fu schools I generally mean the real and the authentic ones and not the McDonald variety (which are the majority nowadays)!

If you think that you can impress your sifu with a hundered dollar bill then you should turn around and run to a different school.

stop being a snob, you've only trained for what 2 years ? stop assuming yours is more real than someone elses

it gets boring

we're talking about show off moves to attract/keep business at yoru school no one wants another argument about whats real or fake or authentic or whatever now go away capiche?

Hardwork108
01-25-2009, 07:28 PM
stop being a snob,
:confused:

you've only trained for what 2 years ?
:confused:

Listen to a bit of friendly advice and slow down on your "realistic" and "functional" training.

Getting hit on the head all the time is not doing your counting/cognitive abilities any good.

Or are you just trying to discredit me by your stupid statements? If so, then why?

stop assuming yours is more real than someone elses
We are living in the era of Mcdojos/Mckwoons there are many bad schools out there. Mine is not one of them!

it gets boring

Then get a job!

we're talking about show off moves to attract/keep business at yoru school no one wants another argument about whats real or fake or authentic or whatever now go away capiche?

Well as far as I am concerned making a business out of kung fu training is counter productive as far as the end results are concerned. Authentic kung fu training is usually unattractive. It is ardeous, difficult,boring and repetitive. Once you try to change it then you start taking away from the essence of the art and will ultimately end up with something that is not kung fu. That is what has happened today all over the globe!

So I believe that it is better to keep it authentic and not run it as a money making enterprise. If some students don´t like it then they can always go somewhere else and become MMAists just like you have done. Who knows some them might even go on to badmouth kung fu on internet forums.:rolleyes:

By the way, I wasn´t arguing with anyone until you showed up, meaning that perhaps you should get a life?;)

Mr Punch
01-25-2009, 07:51 PM
If you think that you can impress your sifu with a hundered dollar bill then you should turn around and run to a different school.Nonsense. I want a teacher who is practical in what he teaches... and practically, if he turns his nose up at money he's a flake. Have you any idea how expensive it is to keep a kwoon in Hong Kong or a dojo in Tokyo?

I'm not saying that good teachers are money grabbers, I'm just saying that a teacher's attitude to money has no bearing on authentic kung fu or fighting skill or anything else.

As for what I show people, I show them, as Any Miles said, something they can do themselves... and I always start at the beginning. So in wing chun I show them the opening of the stance and the practical application of it, and how the stance is used in fighting, and the fact that you don't need to assume a stance. If they're lucky I may show them a punch! But with the opening of the stance work I've already shown them basic kicks, sweeps, unbalances and stamps (without even using the hands).

In aiki I show them basic footwork and why, and maybe a little of ikkyou ('the first principle').

In both, I show them what these things don't mean too. e.g. in chun that SLT is not a practical fighting stance though it does have practical applications, and in aiki the chances of getting ikkyou (flying arm bar) on anyone are pretty slight unless you've hit them with a good hard atemi or two in the first place and that of course, no-one really expects an attack to start with someone grabbing your wrist.

Kansuke
01-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Well as far as I am concerned making a business out of kung fu training is counter productive as far as the end results are concerned.
So I believe that it is better to keep it authentic and not run it as a money making enterprise.

That's a load of bull. 'Traditional' teachers have always had to feed their families and have always accepted payment in one form or another. The "I will accept no money, for I only transmit my art for the sake of martial purity" nonsense is crap made up for bad movies and fools. You are not a movie, so...

Hardwork108
01-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Nonsense. I want a teacher who is practical in what he teaches... and practically, if he turns his nose up at money he's a flake.
Have you any idea how expensive it is to keep a kwoon in Hong Kong or a dojo in Tokyo?

I believe that you misunderstood. As the statement which you quoted implies, I am referring to the money grabbers.

I'm not saying that good teachers are money grabbers, I'm just saying that a teacher's attitude to money has no bearing on authentic kung fu or fighting skill or anything else.

The teacherīs attitude to money has bearing on their MORALITY! Having said that, we all know that these sifus have to pay their costs and have to pay their bills just like everyone else, but my post was referring to the money grabbers and god know that there are plenty of them around nowadays trying to SELL their schools through gimmicks and false claims. Those are the people I was referring to.

By the way, I have never come across a kung fu school that did not charge for its classes but I have come across sifus who will not charge the same fees from students who have financial difficulties.

As for what I show people, I show them, as Any Miles said, something they can do themselves... and I always start at the beginning.
That is a very logical approach.

So in wing chun I show them the opening of the stance and the practical application of it, and how the stance is used in fighting, and the fact that you don't need to assume a stance. If they're lucky I may show them a punch! But with the opening of the stance work I've already shown them basic kicks, sweeps, unbalances and stamps (without even using the hands).

In aiki I show them basic footwork and why, and maybe a little of ikkyou ('the first principle').

In both, I show them what these things don't mean too. e.g. in chun that SLT is not a practical fighting stance though it does have practical applications, and in aiki the chances of getting ikkyou (flying arm bar) on anyone are pretty slight unless you've hit them with a good hard atemi or two in the first place and that of course, no-one really expects an attack to start with someone grabbing your wrist.

From a general perspectve it all sounds sensible to me.

WinterPalm
01-26-2009, 04:40 PM
-Absolutely no hard-sell
-off-colour humour and jokes
-explain everything and its meaning without droning on for an hour
-be competent, collected, and have everything well-planned
-let them witness or hold pads for any of the guys that have been there for awhile
-let them know about the Inner Chamber Back Door Entry secret society they can become a part of if they re-mortgage their house and pledge allegiance to THE LEADER.

Hardwork108
01-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Mr Punch. Your PM inbox is full and is not accepting messages. Delete some will you.:)

sanjuro_ronin
01-27-2009, 06:43 AM

Point 1: Yes, always
2- why wouldn't you?
3-with two naked women, one on my face the other on my johnson
4-with one arm
5-Usually I leave my nuts at home, where they won't get me into trouble.
6-That;s how I greet all my friends.
7-Hold of his what? dude...
8-I am NOT cutting my johnson 3 inches for anyone !!
9-I have never been caught.

:D

David Jamieson
01-27-2009, 07:13 AM
whip out a couple of tornado kicks, drop to a horse stance all solid like and then look at them all frowny and dangerous like.

sanjuro_ronin
01-27-2009, 07:20 AM
whip out a couple of tornado kicks, drop to a horse stance all solid like and then look at them all frowny and dangerous like.

You mean the infamous constipated scowl ???

That's just uncalled for !!

SPJ
01-27-2009, 08:07 AM
we may show off some signature moves from our style.

but the death touch would beat them all, would it not?

--

:eek::confused::D;):p

TenTigers
01-27-2009, 08:25 AM
we may show off some signature moves from our style.

but the death touch would beat them all, would it not?

--

:eek::confused::D;):p
yes, I open up with the death touch.
Everything after that is just for show.

if need be, I'll whip out the tomato kick and the cinnabun palm,
but those are extreme cases.

David Jamieson
01-27-2009, 08:36 AM
although it is a little hard to see, castrating a mosquito with a darn do is also pretty impressive.

sanjuro_ronin
01-27-2009, 08:37 AM
although it is a little hard to see, castrating a mosquito with a darn do is also pretty impressive.

I once cirumcised a Fruit fly with a katana, he was one ****ed off bug !

TenTigers
01-27-2009, 08:51 AM
I once cirumcised a Fruit fly with a katana, he was one ****ed off bug !
that is because many fruit flies are jewish and have already been circumcized.
What you did was wrong. Wrong, I tell you!

sanjuro_ronin
01-27-2009, 08:53 AM
that is because many fruit flies are jewish and have already been circumcized.
What you did was wrong. Wrong, I tell you!

OIVEY !!
Now you tell me...:(

Mas Judt
01-27-2009, 02:58 PM
I once convinced a fellow I could hurt him badly with a soggy leaf I had picked up. Apparently I was sincere enough that he backed off from his aggressive behavior and left. I still chuckle over this. (as best I remember)
"No way, you can't do that."
I smile eagerly. "wanna see?"

still cracks me up. stupid kid stuff, but it was an inspired way to avoid any actual violence.

TenTigers
01-27-2009, 03:07 PM
ok, I need to ask you...
why do you have soggy leaves in your school?

taai gihk yahn
01-27-2009, 03:57 PM
yes, I open up with the death touch.
Everything after that is just for show.
I prefer the delayed death touch; takes anywhere from about 20 to 80 years, depending on how old the person I do it to is...

the cinnabun palm
ah, the deadly cinnabun palm - truly, no more dangerous affront to nature exists in the world...

Mas Judt
01-27-2009, 05:51 PM
The Whole World is my school, man.

Mr Punch
01-27-2009, 09:25 PM
You went and ate Uki, didn't you?

Kansuke
01-27-2009, 09:28 PM
I once convinced a fellow I could hurt him badly with a soggy leaf I had picked up. Apparently I was sincere enough that he backed off from his aggressive behavior and left. I still chuckle over this. (as best I remember)
"No way, you can't do that."
I smile eagerly. "wanna see?"

still cracks me up. stupid kid stuff, but it was an inspired way to avoid any actual violence.

What were you gonna do if he said, "Ok, show me."?

Mr Punch
01-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Kansuke, you disappoint me. I thought you were all about realism in fighting - are you telling us you don't know? :D

Mas Judt
01-27-2009, 10:13 PM
What were you gonna do if he said, "Ok, show me."?

If I told you, I'd have to joke you out.

Kansuke
01-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Kansuke, you disappoint me. I thought you were all about realism in fighting - are you telling us you don't know? :D

I was gonna learn that one day but I had to leaf class early that day.