PDA

View Full Version : Sword of the Stranger

GeneChing
01-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Anyone know much about this? It's got some good reviews. It's interesting to me that Fathom is pushing anime and opera so.

Sword of the Stranger (http://www.fathomevents.com/details.aspx?eventid=765)
02/05/2009

NCM Fathom and Bandai Entertainment bring the U.S. debut of SWORD OF THE STRANGER, one of the most rousing Samurai epics in recent memory, to select movie theatres nationwide for Only One Night –Thursday, February 5th at 7:30 PM (local). This exclusive event will include a behind-the-scenes look at the creation of SWORD OF THE STRANGER, complete with never-before-seen interviews with the voice actors.

Please note: This event is not officially rated but should be treated as equivalent to a "PG-13" rating. The content is dubbed into English.

SWORD OF THE STRANGER STORY SYNOPSIS:
Hunted by the Mings from China, a young boy named Kotaro and his loyal dog Tobimaru meet a nameless samurai (“Nanashi” or “No Name”) who is haunted by his past – a memory so terrible he has vowed to never draw his sword again.

Among the Mings is Luo-Lang, a ruthless Western swordsman with the Chinese name who has walked the earth in search of a worthy rival.When both groups clash with a feudal lord and monks torn between faith and survival, the truth behind the Mings’ pursuit of Kotaro tests the bond between the boy and the samurai with no name…

SWORD OF THE STRANGER REVEALED – A LOOK BEHIND THE SCENES FEATURETTE:
This event will conclude with all new interviews with the English voice actors plus rare footage shot behind the scenes at Studio BONES (Cowboy Bebop) during the making of SWORD OF THE STRANGER. Director Ando and Bones President Minami highlight this unique look behind the making of a modern anime classic.

Tickets are on sale now. Limited seats available – buy your tickets early!

doug maverick
01-27-2009, 11:34 AM
yeah actually i saw this one over the summer, its pretty good. but the story is not particularly deep. i have to watch it again. but the fight scenes were pretty good that i do remember. its ike ninja scroll almost but without the tits.....er a....breast.

冠木侍
01-27-2009, 11:59 AM
I was excited until I read it was dubbed into English....

Fathom did a bunch of anime last summer if I remember correctly. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see any of it.

doug maverick
01-27-2009, 12:08 PM
its like i said before. you gotta open your mind, and see how the dub is before you judge it. look at princess mononoke. ive seen the sub and dub version i prefer the dub. same thing with black lagoon. watch before you judge.

冠木侍
01-28-2009, 03:51 PM
its like i said before. you gotta open your mind, and see how the dub is before you judge it. look at princess mononoke. ive seen the sub and dub version i prefer the dub. same thing with black lagoon. watch before you judge.

I hear what you are saying Doug. But the trend of bad dubs outweighs the good ones. Studio Ghibli puts a lot of money into their English dubs. Princess Monononke along with almost every other Miyazaki anime as had an all-star cast. The quality is way above average I'll agree for works like that but you average anime fair dubs are usually atrocious. I used to watch dubs until I discovered subbed anime and bilingual dvds.

Princess Mononoke is good both ways but I still like the subbed. It's the language I took so much time to learn. So it's almost second nature instead of judging.

It's not that I'm being judgmental for I have a good open mind about things. There are some things that were meant to not be in English, my humble opinion of course.

That's what's so great. We can choose what we want to watch and how we want to watch it.

Lucas
01-28-2009, 03:54 PM
I wish I was a dub actor. I think that would be the coolest job ever.

GeneChing
01-28-2009, 04:39 PM
Our media columnist Craig Reid was a dubber in Taiwan (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=600). He wrote an article on it in our 2005 July/August issue (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=598): The 1st American Star of Chinese Kung Fu Film: from Dubbing to Kung Fu Soap Operas. Craig has a slight UK accent and when he goes into dub voice mode, it's like an aural flashback to bad kung fu movie dubbing. That being said, I'm not sure the experience did a mess of good for dear Craig. :rolleyes: