PDA

View Full Version : The Vanishing Son

diego
01-27-2009, 08:54 PM
This came out when I was 16. good times :) Gene was promoting Shi Yan Ming, Bruce was on the cover of every mag every month, Wu Tang were promoting Shaolin on MTV...good times

Was watching "New Jack City" and noticed Russell Wong playing a cop... thought I'd make a thread as I'm gonna be watching this for the next year!.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=NJXGts7jpM4&NR=1

interview

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=EqaHCbNs-I4&feature=related

Trailer

Vanishing Son
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Vanishing Son
Format Action
Created by Rob Cohen
Directed by John Nicolella
Starring Russell Wong
Haing S. Ngor (telefilms)
Vivian Wu (telefilms)
Rebecca Gayheart (telefilms)
Marcus Chong (telefilms)
Chi Muoi Lo
Jason Adams (series)
Stephanie Niznik (series)
Country of origin United States
No. of episodes 13
Production
Running time 60 minutes
(per episode)
Broadcast
Original channel Syndicated
Original run February 28, 1994 – May 8, 1995
External links
IMDb profile
TV.com summary

Vanishing Son is a short-lived syndicated action television series that was part of Universal Television's Action Pack. Starting as a series of four made for television movies in 1994, the series debuted on January 16, 1995. Vanishing Son I, Vanishing Son II, Vanishing Son III, and Vanishing Son IV, were aired on February 28, July 18, July 25, and October 10, 1994, respectively. The series was ground-breaking for the casting of an Asian-American male in an attractive leading-man role.

[edit] Synopsis

Russell Wong starred as Jian-Wa Chang, a musician who escaped from the People's Republic of China after being involved in a student demonstration against the government. He and his brother Wago escaped to the USA; he pursued his music while Wago became drawn to a life of organized crime.

Wago and two US Federal Agents are killed; Jian-Wa is held responsible, but a Vietnamese mafioso known as "The General" (Haing S. Ngor) is behind the murders. Jian-Wa becomes a fugitive, using his wisdom, music, and martial arts skills to solve problems along the way, on his quest to bring "The General" to justice. As he helps others while traveling, he is aided by the spirit of his murdered brother Wago.

In the series, Jian-Wa is constantly on the run from ruthless Federal Agent Dan Sandler (Jason Adams), the direct superior to the agents he killed in the two-hour films. Agent Judith Phillips (Stephanie Niznik) was a member of Sandler's team who was convinced that Jian-Wa was innocent throughout all the guilt he displayed, and she gradually became his ally. This put her at great odds with Sandler.

The series was canceled after the first thirteen episodes aired.

[edit] Episode titles
episode# Title Air Date
1 "Dance of the Dust" January 16, 1995
2 "Holy Ghosts" January 23, 1995
3 "Birds of Paradise" January 30, 1995
4 "Single Flame" February 6, 1995
5 "Sweet Sixteen" February 13, 1995
6 "Miracle Under 34th Street" February 20, 1995
7 "Runaway Hearts" February 27, 1995
8 "Lock and Load, Babe" March 6, 1995
9 "Two Guys with Guns" March 13, 1995
10 "Win, Place or Dead" March 20, 1995
11 "Jersey Girl" April 24, 1995
12 "Long Ago and Far Away" May 1, 1995
13 "Land of the Free" May 8, 1995

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=a1WQKWHoZbU

GANGSTERS

iron_silk
01-28-2009, 01:58 PM
As my friend dougmaverick would say in this scenarios...

this belongs in the MEDIA SECTION!!! Boo Ya! Take that!

I mean I don't care.

I mean you can argue that this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJXGts7jpM4&NR=1

Contains a form from Tak Eng Wah's Fu Jow System and some application be showed on a 21 Jumpstreet heart throb that's not Johnny Depp.

sanjuro_ronin
01-28-2009, 02:04 PM
It was a cute little series, one I wouldn't mind having on DVD.

TenTigers
01-28-2009, 02:12 PM
it was hokey, Russell Wong always seems pretentious-but was well suited for his role in,"Joy Luck Club," the choregraphy was horrible. Either the choreographer was bad, or Wong simply is untalented in the Martial Arts department, but every fight scene I've ever seen him in, including the movie he did with Jet Lei, he looked stiff and forced and poseur-ish, ala David Carradien in, "Lone Wold McQuade." I put him in the ranks with Ralph Macchio.

David Jamieson
01-28-2009, 02:34 PM
seems Wong gets canceled more often than stamps. :p

martial arts themed shows don't do so well.

unless you had a couple of really busty mma chicks who solved crimes while eating hotdogs and stroking each others hair.

I would totally watch that.

:D

sanjuro_ronin
01-29-2009, 07:14 AM
seems Wong gets canceled more often than stamps. :p

martial arts themed shows don't do so well.

unless you had a couple of really busty mma chicks who solved crimes while eating hotdogs and stroking each others hair.

I would totally watch that.

:D

Here here !!
Or :

Cat Nap
01-31-2009, 11:20 AM
I loved the show; I thought the acting was great, particularly by the actor who played his troubled brother in the series. I think his martial arts is about as crediable as any actor. I wonder what style they used for the series? I remember, I think it was the second part, Wong's character was doing a form outside which was really great to watch - for me anyway....:)

doug maverick
01-31-2009, 12:23 PM
well he studies with gm tak wah eng, so most probably a mixture of northern and southern shaolin kung fu.

Zenshiite
01-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Don't forget he played a Ba Gua teacher in Black Sash for the WB.

doug maverick
01-31-2009, 01:14 PM
yeah but he looked like he was faking it.lol

Cat Nap
01-31-2009, 01:18 PM
yeah but he looked like he was faking it.lol

Just about everyone does for the movies, unless you believe people can fly about or suffer serious injuries and still manage to get up and fight like it's no big deal....:D

doug maverick
01-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Just about everyone does for the movies, unless you believe people can fly about or suffer serious injuries and still manage to get up and fight like it's no big deal....:D

uhmmmm...... i can and have!!!!! so there poked a hole in your theory:D:cool:

GreenCloudCLF
02-01-2009, 08:34 AM
Don't forget he played a Ba Gua teacher in Black Sash for the WB.

Gotta love that show, even though it only lasted 6 episodes. It was a 1 hour show (minus commercials that is 42 minutes of actual show.) And there were 3 fights per episode. That is a fight every 14 minutes...That's a better average than most Shaw Bros. Movies.

diego
02-04-2009, 05:03 PM
it was hokey, Russell Wong always seems pretentious-but was well suited for his role in,"Joy Luck Club," the choregraphy was horrible. Either the choreographer was bad, or Wong simply is untalented in the Martial Arts department, but every fight scene I've ever seen him in, including the movie he did with Jet Lei, he looked stiff and forced and poseur-ish, ala David Carradien in, "Lone Wold McQuade." I put him in the ranks with Ralph Macchio.

when they fight on the stairs I think it's cool how they almost die...one of the finer moments in cinema:D http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=a1WQKWHoZbU

Cat Nap
02-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Personally, I love Ralph Macchio. I thought he did a great job - you want to talk about stiff - try Chuck Norris, he couldn't act his way out of a paper bag.

Pork Chop
02-05-2009, 06:23 AM
Personally, I love Ralph Macchio. I thought he did a great job - you want to talk about stiff - try Chuck Norris, he couldn't act his way out of a paper bag.

You're lucky Mr Norris has not seen this thread...

Did you know:
There is no 'ctrl' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.

sanjuro_ronin
02-05-2009, 06:54 AM
Chuck Norris once climbed Mt Everest with nothing but a speedo and a toothpick.
He did this to get to the top and meet God, when he got there, all that was there was a mirror and Chuck Smiled because all he knew was confirmed.

Wild Monk
02-11-2009, 11:34 AM
The Boogey Man checks his closet every night for Chuck Norris.