PDA

View Full Version : My Oct match

Ray Pina
01-28-2009, 08:48 AM
Found video of my match. I'm in dark shorts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJK7J5woEl4

sanjuro_ronin
01-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Good work Ray, he switched up on you a few times didn't he? that sneak !
LOL !
What's with all the padding?

BoulderDawg
01-28-2009, 09:20 AM
What's with all the padding?

Maybe to keep them from scambling their brains and being in a nursing home by the time they're 50. I think even pros should wear heargear.

sanjuro_ronin
01-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Maybe to keep them from scambling their brains and being in a nursing home by the time they're 50. I think even pros should wear heargear.

When did you get a mangina?
:D

Ray Pina
01-28-2009, 09:24 AM
I haven't watched the whole fight yet. And it's grainy. I asked for him to send me the original file.

What I remember is switching up to left foot forward stance and staying that way in round two and getting rocked multiple times. I don't remember anything about round three except I had a guillotine if it were MMA.... and being tired:)

I actually don't like head gear or the pads because I find it makes people more aggressive then they normally would be. And my style is to find a little opening and take advantage. But with all the pads you have to keep doing that and people get wise to it.

Anyway, living, learning, training. My jiu-jitsu is improving a lot. When I get back from Vegas next week I start focusing on my hands more.

Pork Chop
01-28-2009, 09:25 AM
... I think even pros should wear heargear.

Sorry, but no....
Headgear takes away from peripheral vision and leads to getting hit more often (not only that but it creates a larger target).
It also does not significantly reduce impact or concussions.
It's main purpose is to keep fighters from getting cut in training.
Pushing for larger gloves (14oz or greater) or smaller mma type gloves that don't brace the wrist as much, I can understand, but not headgear.
A lot of guys i know don't train with it and only fight with it if they can't get away with it.
Not a fan of the headgear.

sanjuro_ronin
01-28-2009, 09:27 AM
In regards to head gear, Ray and Pork Chop have harlot slapped the correct.
And shin guards are for pansies too !!
:p

sanjuro_ronin
01-28-2009, 09:31 AM
I haven't watched the whole fight yet. And it's grainy. I asked for him to send me the original file.

What I remember is switching up to left foot forward stance and staying that way in round two and getting rocked multiple times. I don't remember anything about round three except I had a guillotine if it were MMA.... and being tired:)

I actually don't like head gear or the pads because I find it makes people more aggressive then they normally would be. And my style is to find a little opening and take advantage. But with all the pads you have to keep doing that and people get wise to it.

Anyway, living, learning, training. My jiu-jitsu is improving a lot. When I get back from Vegas next week I start focusing on my hands more.

If you don't mind me saying, you tend to lift your chin when you "clash" or are trading blows.
Gotta watch that.
Your kicks need some work too.
You need to work the body with your hands more.
Your aggression is controlled and your movement is ok.
What were the rules in this match?

Ray Pina
01-28-2009, 09:34 AM
Now I saw it.

Wild and weak amateurs. Both of us.

I need to train more to be crisp and powerful under pressure and while exhausted.

BoulderDawg
01-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Did you see the story about football players? They studied the brains of several deceased pro football players and all of them were suffering from moderate to severe brain damaged.......and that with heavy helmets. God only knows what they would find with pro boxers.

I have no problem at all with protective measures. I also have no problem with an governing body deciding if someone if fit to be in a fight.

By the way, I believe MMA is actually safer because of the ground work. It's not all striking.

sanjuro_ronin
01-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Now I saw it.

Wild and weak amateurs. Both of us.

I need to train more to be crisp and powerful under pressure and while exhausted.

Who doesn't ?
LOL !
When you are exhausted/tired is when you need to be tighter and pick your shots, but its when people tend to swing wild hoping for a KO to end it.
Ring fighting is paced, you need to focus on that and fight your fight.

Ray Pina
01-28-2009, 09:36 AM
If you don't mind me saying, you tend to lift your chin when you "clash" or are trading blows.
Gotta watch that.
Your kicks need some work too.
You need to work the body with your hands more.
Your aggression is controlled and your movement is ok.
What were the rules in this match?

I could use all the help I can get.

My coach is all over me with the chin thing. I know its a bad habit I have and I'm working on it.

My kicking actually isn't that bad. Just everything looked so weak and uncrisp.

sanjuro_ronin
01-28-2009, 09:37 AM
Did you see the story about football players? They studied the brains of several deceased pro football players and all of them were suffering from moderate to severe brain damaged.......and that with heavy helmets. God only knows what they would find with pro boxers.

I have no problem at all with protective measures. I also have no problem with an governing body deciding if someone if fit to be in a fight.

By the way, I believe MMA is actually safer because of the ground work. It's not all striking.

Foot ball players lead with their heads and football helmets don't do much for concussions and neck injuries.

Ray Pina
01-28-2009, 09:44 AM
I didn't think my structure was that bad, except for tripping over his leg in round one... and the chin thing.

bawang
01-28-2009, 09:47 AM
it was great fight video! i didnt see anything bad but u need more speed mang

WinterPalm
01-28-2009, 09:47 AM
I have these new 16oz gloves and was boxing with a guy at the gym and I landed a hard right just under his eye and felt it through the glove into my previously seriously injured finger.
Point being: headgear will also protect the guy punching if his gloves are **** and his hands are injured!...but I think preventing cuts is the main thing.

Ray Pina
01-28-2009, 09:50 AM
I always had this experience with new guys when it came to headgear:

'Here, put this on (caged headgear)."

"It feels funny and I can't see."

"Well, you don't have to wear it."

"No. I got it to fit."

Pork Chop
01-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Foot ball players lead with their heads and football helmets don't do much for concussions and neck injuries.

Yeah, I think that would reinforce my argument that the headgear doesn't do much to prevent concussions; not the other way around.

I also want to back up what Ray said about people wearing padding & suddenly going into Rock 'em Sock 'em Robot mode. People are a lot more careful about their kicks when not wearing shinguards, their fighting seems much more relaxed in general without the headgear.

Good job on gettin in there Ray, much respect.
Your coach, is he boxing or muay thai? Just curious.
The other guy looked like he had a little more of a game plan at certain points (ie throwing combos, using some shots to set up others); though his overhand was begging for a straight shot right down the pipe to counter it.

Reverend Tap
01-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Yeah, I think that would reinforce my argument that the headgear doesn't do much to prevent concussions; not the other way around.

I also want to back up what Ray said about people wearing padding & suddenly going into Rock 'em Sock 'em Robot mode. People are a lot more careful about their kicks when not wearing shinguards, their fighting seems much more relaxed in general without the headgear.

Yeah, that effect is crazy sometimes. The first time we put on big gloves and face cages at my old WC school everyone started basically doing their best impression of bobble-head dolls as sparring rapidly turned into some sort of "who can do the most bicycle punches to the face in two minutes" contest. Didn't seem to do much of anything to dampen the overall impact on the head/neck either. Overall, I'd much rather risk getting a few cuts and bruises.

sanjuro_ronin
01-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Yeah, that effect is crazy sometimes. The first time we put on big gloves and face cages at my old WC school everyone started basically doing their best impression of bobble-head dolls as sparring rapidly turned into some sort of "who can do the most bicycle punches to the face in two minutes" contest. Didn't seem to do much of anything to dampen the overall impact on the head/neck either. Overall, I'd much rather risk getting a few cuts and bruises.

Head gear and big gloves do this to most people, they tend to swing wider and block less, add to that shin guards and they tend to low kick totally wrong.

Ray Pina
01-28-2009, 11:27 AM
Good job on gettin in there Ray, much respect.
Your coach, is he boxing or muay thai? Just curious.
The other guy looked like he had a little more of a game plan at certain points (ie throwing combos, using some shots to set up others); though his overhand was begging for a straight shot right down the pipe to counter it.

MY coach was a college wrestler turned jiu-jitsu guy with a kickboxing background. The other guy was definitely better prepared. I took the fight in like 10 days notice and hadn't fought or sparred for a year... been focusing on jiu-jitsu.

I was working boxing for a short bit before this fight but cut that out to focus on jiu-jitsu because I had a couple tournaments come up... turns out I broke my foot in the last tournament so I haven't boxed. And the timing is rough but I like the coach. So when I get back from some work travel I'm going to see about private lessons.

Lots of work to do for sure.

sanjuro_ronin
01-28-2009, 11:31 AM
MY coach was a college wrestler turned jiu-jitsu guy with a kickboxing background. The other guy was definitely better prepared. I took the fight in like 10 days notice and hadn't fought or sparred for a year... been focusing on jiu-jitsu.

I was working boxing for a short bit before this fight but cut that out to focus on jiu-jitsu because I had a couple tournaments come up... turns out I broke my foot in the last tournament so I haven't boxed. And the timing is rough but I like the coach. So when I get back from some work travel I'm going to see about private lessons.

Lots of work to do for sure.

Timing is "sport specific" bro, only way to get it for "sport A" is to do "sport A", in terms of cross over, its almost impossible to transfer timing from one physcial actitivty to another.

WinterPalm
01-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Timing is "sport specific" bro, only way to get it for "sport A" is to do "sport A", in terms of cross over, its almost impossible to transfer timing from one physcial actitivty to another.

While strength and conditioning might have some carry-over, I agree with this. Hell, even the timing switch from San Shou to kickboxing or just boxing is crazy. It all becomes very, very sport specific.

sanjuro_ronin
01-28-2009, 01:31 PM
While strength and conditioning might have some carry-over, I agree with this. Hell, even the timing switch from San Shou to kickboxing or just boxing is crazy. It all becomes very, very sport specific.

There is probably more carry over in the grappling arts.
But in the striking systems, the timing need for MT compared to TKS compared to Boxing compared to MMA, etc etc, is quite specific like you said.
On top of that, in the sport itself, boxing for example, timing is still specific to your training, if you train with righties for example, lefties will throw you off big time, if you train with bigger people, smaller one will throw you off and vice-versa.
That's what opening rounds are for, to get timing to "find the range".

TenTigers
01-28-2009, 03:30 PM
you did fine, Ray. You need to develop your eye more. He had some nice kicks, but he relied on the big overhand right, which was huge. And when he throws it, he drops his left completely. In one point, he even dangled it down while sticking the lead hand out there. A little more ring experience,a kool head and a good eye, and you would've eaten him alive. Keep your guard tight and come in on him on the inside and eat him.
-of course, this is from an armchair quarterback, (in satin pajamas, no less) so take it for what it's worth.

Ray Pina
01-28-2009, 03:50 PM
No. You are right. You are all right.

I'm learning about all these things.... the difference between just going right in and trying to jam a guy and finish, or feel him out, get the range, find a tendency. Chin down is big. Working some combinations since the fight. And most of all plugging away at my jiu-jitsu.

sanjuro_ronin
01-29-2009, 06:41 AM
No. You are right. You are all right.

I'm learning about all these things.... the difference between just going right in and trying to jam a guy and finish, or feel him out, get the range, find a tendency. Chin down is big. Working some combinations since the fight. And most of all plugging away at my jiu-jitsu.

You can approach striking like grappling, you don't just run in and try to sub they guy, do you?
Nope.
Position before submission and, when you get advanced, submission from every position.
The striking arts work the same way, don't rush and strike when you are in the best place for you to strike.
Footwork my friend, footwork.

Ray Pina
01-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Position before submission and, when you get advanced, submission from every position.
The striking arts work the same way, don't rush and strike when you are in the best place for you to strike.
Footwork my friend, footwork.

Awesome. Thank you.

sanjuro_ronin
01-29-2009, 01:13 PM
Awesome. Thank you.

I am pretty sure you knew that already.

taai gihk yahn
01-29-2009, 05:27 PM
even my old TKD instructor used to say "fighting is about being in the right place at the right time"; meaning that timing and distance are the key principles; the problem with a lot of fighters is that they "sit" in the wrong range doing nothing - the analogy is tennis - you are either at the baseline or at the net - if you are somewhere in between it's because you are moving from one to the other; but if you stay there, you're dead; same thing with fighting - always want to be in a given range for a given reason - if you are just hanging out with no plan, you are in a bad situation;

I know this sounds really obvious, but a lot of people I see fighting at a variety of levels don't seem to get this

Ray Pina
01-29-2009, 06:27 PM
I am pretty sure you knew that already.

I keep learning things that I knew but on different levels. Like there's controlling the hip when you're pinned in side control to escape, then there's making your elbow one with the other's hip and being able to ride him anywhere, anyhow with control.

One is hearing it and doing it, knowing. The other is understanding it on a personal and then ultimately, natural and common-sense, way.

Ray Pina
01-29-2009, 06:28 PM
timing and distance are the key principles; the problem with a lot of fighters is that they "sit" in the wrong range doing nothing - the analogy is tennis - you are either at the baseline or at the net - if you are somewhere in between it's because you are moving from one to the other; but if you stay there, you're dead;

I like that. Thank you.