PDA

View Full Version : Wudang in Fort Collins.

saloner
01-31-2009, 03:54 AM
I'm relocating to Fort Collins CO, and while looking around for martial art schools in the area I came across a Wudang Temple run by a Taoist priest in the town.
Do any of the forum members study, or have interacted with the people, there?
Recommendations, or otherwise, welcome.
Thanks in advance for your time.

doug maverick
01-31-2009, 09:42 AM
ask in the internal section you might get better answers.

saloner
01-31-2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the redirection Doug; I missed the internal forum on my first pass.

htowndragon
01-31-2009, 09:19 PM
fort collins is very lacking in good CMA. i would suggest the gao style ba gua group in boulder or look around in denver. i lived in fort collins for a few years and ive heard of a few good people in denver, including a chen taiji guy and a five ancestors guy who i never managed to locate.

saloner
01-31-2009, 11:51 PM
Thanks htowndragon. You have me intrigued with regard to the Five Ancestors. Any leads I can investigate in that connection?

htowndragon
02-01-2009, 08:58 PM
chinese herbal doctor from malaysia. owns a TCM shop. thats all i know.

saloner
02-02-2009, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the lead. It's a start, and I'll ask around.

PlumDragon
02-02-2009, 11:07 AM
fort collins is very lacking in good CMA. i would suggest the gao style ba gua group in boulder or look around in denver. i lived in fort collins for a few years and ive heard of a few good people in denver, including a chen taiji guy and a five ancestors guy who i never managed to locate.Thats not entirely true...

There is a Pai Lum White Dragon school right off Elizabeth just across the street from the college. Regardless whether people like the Pai Lum look or not, the instruction is very good, and training there was one of the more enjoyable training experiences of my past.

There is also a Tai Chi/Xing Yi/Bagua class in Greeley, as well as a Northern Shaolin class and a Modern Arnis class (among other things). You wont get much "sparring" time at this school but the instruction is very traditional.

Theres also a MMA gym in Loveland and if youre willing to make the hour drive into Denver, there is Hung Gar off 120th or somewhere and ****her south is Sayoc Kali in the Denver Tech Center...And of course, Bagua, Tai Chi, etc in Boulder...

htowndragon
02-02-2009, 09:07 PM
i never got to meet the head instructor of the pai lum school so i cannot comment on his personal level of skill. i however did not like what his students had to offer. MMA and stuff is actually decent all around, but in terms of CMA i found it rather lacking.

the taiji cheng man ching group was more health oriented from what i saw, then again i do notprefer any tai chi coming from cheng man ching outside of william cc chen and his taiwan/southeast asia students as it is.

the gao ba gua in boulder is good stuff, training directly with luo de xiu and marcus brinkman.

there are two hung gar schools in denver from what i know. my friend trained at one of them and the first group of students had very strong stances. cant say too much about the latter. the teacher is from vietnam of fukien descent and trained with a monk in vietnam. he also learned some choy lee fut.

there was a very good chen taiji teacher in denver who also did baji and tong bei, i dont know his name, if you want more info contact iwalkthecircle on empty flower. he trained with him pretty extensively.

there is also a xie pei qi yin ba gua group either in boulder or denver, i forgot which.

saloner
02-03-2009, 01:59 AM
Thank you very much both Plum and htown Dragons. I'll check the suggested options out, despite the logistical planning required for the Ft.Collins-Denver commute.

Chris-H
02-05-2009, 08:10 AM
We train in Gao Style Bagua in Boulder.
Feel free to PM me if you'd like more information.

Chris Haynes
www.gaostlyebaguausa.com

saloner
02-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks Chris. I'll get in touch with you once I've moved.