PDA

View Full Version : CLF Chinese Translations HELP!!!

Violent Designs
02-01-2009, 07:20 AM
Hi everyone, I'm working on quite a few things at the moment but if anyone has the Chinese han zi for some stuff from CLF that would be awesome. I am not fluent in Cantonese so I cannot translate a lot of the things into Mandarin or pinyin. If anyone could help, that would be greatly appreciated.

Techniques (Cantonese - Pinyin - Mandarin):

Sau Choy - Sao Quan - 扫拳

Chop Choy - Cha Quan - 插拳

Gwa Choy - Gua Quan - 挂拳

Chin Jee Choy - ? - ?

Biu Jong - ? - ?

Kup Choy - ? - ?

Ding - ? - ?

Deng Choy - ? - ?

Chuen Na - ? - ?

Pow Choy - ? - ?

Fan Jong - ? - ?

Kum Jong - ? - ?

Poon Kiu - ? - ?

I'll most likely think of more later but these are the 10 seeds (and then some) so the most important at the moment.

Forms:

Sup Jee Kau Da Kuen - ? - ?

Tit Jin Kuen - ? - ?

I would love to ask what the movements in specific forms are called themselves but that would be extremely complicated on the internet. Hopefully I can ask a CLF teacher who understands both Cantonese and Mandarin in the near future . . .

Thanks for your help.

TenTigers
02-01-2009, 10:51 AM
quan-fist is not the same word as choy-pierce/stap/strike
I believe the word is cai, but not sure.
why do you want to translate it into Mandarin?

CLFNole
02-01-2009, 11:27 AM
TT:

I believe you are corect on that quan/chuan in mandarin would be the same as kuen in cantonese.

Also it should be cum/kum "jeurng" as in palm not "jong" like in biu jong choy or fan jong choy.

PM
02-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Cantonese in Yale romanization (Mandarin in Pinyin) = Chinese characters

saau/sou cheui (shao/sao chui) = 哨/掃搥

chaap cheui (cha chui) = 插搥

gwa cheui (gua chui) = 挂搥

chin ji cheui (qian zi chui) = 千字搥

biu jong (biao zhuang) = 標撞

kap cheui (xi chui) = 扱搥

ding (ding) = 頂

ding cheui (ding chui) = 釘搥

chyun na (chuan na) = 穿拿

paau cheui (pao chui) = 拋搥

faan jong (fan zhuang) = 反撞

kam jeung (kan zhang) = 冚掌

pun kiu (pan qiao) = 蟠橋
---
sap ji kau da kyun (shi zi kou da quan) = 十字扣打拳

tit jin kyun (tie jian quan) = 鉄箭拳
---
for cheui (chui), following characers are used: 槌, 捶, 搥
---
u owe me a beer or two, bro :-)

TenTigers
02-01-2009, 01:50 PM
there are books out that are translations of the LSW books.
But get this-the guy used Mandarin phonetics, rather than Cantonese. why on Earth would someone take an art that is Cantonese, which was developed for fighting against the Mandarins, and translate it using Mandarin language?
Frankly, I find it rather insulting to my art, the Masters who came before me, and the ancestors who created it.
(and I ain't even Chinese!) ;-p thpppptttt!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d40M8UuQFC8 ;)

hskwarrior
02-01-2009, 02:27 PM
yeah what he said!!!!!!! :D

what'd he say again? :confused:

Eddie
02-01-2009, 07:12 PM
actually I also wanted this, and find this pretty interesting.

Im now living in China, and I have two students that I teach part time (just now and then really). They are not interested in learning the cantonese terms, so getting to know the chinese is good.

Yeah I understand all that stuff about past masters and everything .. :)

Violent Designs
02-02-2009, 05:25 AM
But get this-the guy used Mandarin phonetics, rather than Cantonese. why on Earth would someone take an art that is Cantonese, which was developed for fighting against the Mandarins, and translate it using Mandarin language?
Frankly, I find it rather insulting to my art, the Masters who came before me, and the ancestors who created it.

I am not offending anyone and if they think teaching to a non-Han Chinese is evil and out of the question my Sifu would have kicked me out already lol.

That said some of the super super old school guys also consider teaching White people a cardinal sin so . . . . same goes for everyone. Chinese people can be notoriously racist. :)

Anyways I only speak Mandarin not Canto which is why I made this thread . . . thanks for your contribution . . .

Violent Designs
02-02-2009, 05:27 AM
Cantonese in Yale romanization (Mandarin in Pinyin) = Chinese characters

saau/sou cheui (shao/sao chui) = 哨/掃搥

chaap cheui (cha chui) = 插搥

gwa cheui (gua chui) = 挂搥

chin ji cheui (qian zi chui) = 千字搥

biu jong (biao zhuang) = 標撞

kap cheui (xi chui) = 扱搥

ding (ding) = 頂

ding cheui (ding chui) = 釘搥

chyun na (chuan na) = 穿拿

paau cheui (pao chui) = 拋搥

faan jong (fan zhuang) = 反撞

kam jeung (kan zhang) = 冚掌

pun kiu (pan qiao) = 蟠橋
---
sap ji kau da kyun (shi zi kou da quan) = 十字扣打拳

tit jin kyun (tie jian quan) = 鉄箭拳
---
for cheui (chui), following characers are used: 槌, 捶, 搥
---
u owe me a beer or two, bro :-)

PM you are the man.

Edited for inane posting and going off-topic. Can't degenerate to their level . . . can't degenerate to their level . . .

PM
02-02-2009, 05:50 AM
hello, just a side note: most of the southern gf terminology does not make much sense in Putonghua, some characters are not used any more. show the list i made for you to some of your Chinese friends from Northern parts of China, they will tell you. i also personaly stick to Cantonese. hope it helped a bit, all the best in your training!

suggestion for all of us: let us stay out of any Chinese/Manchus/gwailou/E.T./whatever issues, let us talk about CLF terminology!

Violent Designs
02-02-2009, 06:47 AM
Yeah bro thanks a lot. The word "chui" isn't really used when talking about strikes or techniques . . . it would make more sense to say Sao Quan, Cha Quan etc.

So yes I understand what you're saying. :)

PM
02-02-2009, 09:44 AM
both kyun (quan) and cheui (chui) can be used; in the South, you usually hear more cheui than kyun; in the north, they do not use chui that often, they use more quan

omarthefish
02-07-2009, 11:20 AM

That's just goofy. You can chill on that one. It's irrelevant if Choi Li Fut was developed to fight the Mandarins and now there's a Mandarin translation because the Mandarin's native tongue is not even Mandarin.

"Mandarin" is an English word for the Chinese language of government but the term is completely western. Most native Chinese have no idea what "Mandarin" means. They call their language Guo Yu or Putonghua or if you want to get historical back during the time of "Manchu" rule, the language of government was called "Guanyu" or even "Guanhua". In Taiwan they call it Guoyu and presumably the nationalists in Mainland China during the republican era most likely also called it Guoyu. Nowadays most people in China just call it Hanyu because it is the native language for most Han Chinese. Now if the Choi Li Fut people were rebelling against the Han rulers (as opposed to the Mandarins who were not Han Chinese) then you'd have something. ;0