PDA

View Full Version : UFC's Chosen to Lose

GreenCloudCLF
02-01-2009, 10:10 AM
In Randy Couture's book he says that he was chosen to fight Vitor Belfort in UFC 15 as a type of fodder. "The Phenom" was supposed to be the next big thing and Couture was supposed to be a walkthough for Belfort. That, of course, didn't happen. The next fights, in my opinion, are of the same vein as Belfort/Couture 1.

Mir vs. Lesnar 1: Mir, although a former heavyweight champion, had no notable fights coming off his motorcycle accident (with the possible exception of his fight vs. Hardonk at UFC 74.) Mir was fed to Lesnar, who the UFC would be haoping to be a big draw for their major demographic of males 18 - 34. His stock would skyrocket with defeating a former heavyweight champion. Didn't happen.

Griffin vs. Shogun: Shogun, coming to the UFC after they bought out PRIDE, was supposed to make a big splash in the UFC's Light Heavyweight division. Enter Forrest Griffin. The winner of TUF season 1 was supposed to make for an exciting fight and place then 16 - 2 Rua in a position to work up to fighting for a title. Guess what, Rua choked...literally.

Can anyone else think of any fights that were set up to be "give me's" that didn't turn out that way?

golgo
02-01-2009, 12:47 PM
I dont know much about these situations, but it is probably the same as boxing. Young, up-and-coming boxers fight aging journeymen, and scrubs until they get enough experience to start contending (building hype as they blast through their competition). The UFC seems to have a shorter incubation time though, probably due to the size of the competion pool (although I assume this will continue to grow).

Vash
02-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Joe Lauzon vs Jens Pulver

Made for an awkward TUF . . .

GreenCloudCLF
02-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Looking back, I think Rampage vs. Wanderlei Silva 3 was supposed to be a set up. They put Rampage up against the Axe Murderer, who beat him twice by strikes. I think if Rampage lost UFC would have exercised their right to kick him out of the promotion due to the fact that he went insane and has pending legal issues. Any one agree or disagree?