PDA

View Full Version : Tarvaris Jackson

GeneChing
02-02-2009, 12:42 PM
I hadn't heard the initial rumors.

Vikings quarterback Tarvaris Jackson has no plans for mixed martial arts (http://www.twincities.com/ci_11595474?source=most_viewed)
By Sean Jensen
sjensen@pioneerpress.com
Updated: 01/31/2009 12:33:37 AM CST

Tarvaris Jackson is expecting to ramp up his offseason training. Just don't expect him on any odd-shaped fighting rings.

Asked about reports that he will do some mixed martial arts training, Jackson said, "Nah. I'm not planning on it."

Jackson said he last participated in martial arts when he was a freshman at Arkansas and trainers were brought in briefly to give the football players a different workout perspective.

But Jackson said he planned to do additional training with famed trainer Tom Shaw in Orlando, Fla. Last year, Jackson trained with Shaw in late June and July. In addition, Jackson might spend part of March in Orlando with Shaw.

"I just want to get in shape," Jackson said.

Asked if he had any discussions about his status with Vikings coach Brad Childress, Jackson said, "I took a break. I ain't getting into all that.

"Every year, I just want to do my part and give myself a chance to have a chance."

In the offseason, Jackson has shuttled between the Twin Cities and his hometown of Birmingham, Ala. He recently has been helping a friend who coaches at George Washington Carver High School. Jackson works with the quarterbacks.

As for the Super Bowl on Sunday, Jackson said he isn't pulling for anyone. But he did note that four Pittsburgh Steelers train under Shaw with him.

"They put the work in," Jackson said of linebacker James Farrior, receiver Santonio Holmes and cornerbacks Bryant McFadden and Ike Taylor.