PDA

View Full Version : waist power

kung fu fighter
02-03-2009, 01:09 PM
what drills do you guys have to trian waist power?

David Jamieson
02-03-2009, 02:46 PM
core development workouts will help.

supermans/bananas

oblique situps/crunches / v-ups

bicycles/ leg lifts / toe circling

yoga boat / yoga in general

shelf stacking lifts

heavy bag work / task specific

pilates

...and more! :)

kung fu fighter
02-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the reply David,

so waist/kua power is just using one's core muscles, so if you strenthen the core muscles, you will have more wast torque power?

Do you have any traditional traning method in the hung kuen or any system for that matter to train this?

David Jamieson
02-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the reply David,

so waist/kua power is just using one's core muscles, so if you strenthen the core muscles, you will have more wast torque power?

Do you have any traditional traning method in the hung kuen or any system for that matter to train this?

there is a series of movements from inside of shaolin nei-gong, but realy hard to explain in words. they do amount to core development though.

this type of stuff helps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne7bv88_kno

but qi gongs, yoga, heavy bag work where you deliberately using twisting power to throw your crosses in deep are very helpful. If you're diligent and don't overtrain, you can achieve quite a lot in even just a few months.

all lot of the traditional methods map over into modern day stuff. you'll see familiar stuff in the training in this video and in some of the ones on the side. for instanec, where he uses the ball, where he does the saxon bends and where he does the planks at the end are pretty much in traditional methods.

you could do the super hardcore hang upside down situps if you want, but essentially, if you strengthen your core, you gain overall strength and your waist will be able to generate even more power tahn before you started.

be diligent!
do you have access to a club?

Yum Cha
02-04-2009, 12:54 AM
Waist power is something near and dear to us Pak Mei players, and our loong ying cousins.

David is, as usual, spot on about core strength training, but there is another thing to consider as well.

Learning to separate waist from hips. Many people can't do this, when they rotate their waist, they also shift their hips.

Imagine this, standing in stance, ping ma bo in our style, not the walking stance, the 'horse riding' stance, facing forward, hands on hips, elbows over the sides of your feet.

Lift your hands off your hips, touch the backs of your hands together in front of you, around your solar plexus, elbows out.

Lock your legs, lock your hips, and swing your upperbody left and right, rotating around your spine without moving your hips. Of course, your hips will move a bit, but try. keep your elbows out.

Soon enough you'll feel the separation at the waist/belly between the lower platform of legs and hips and the upper platform of waist and shoulders. Do it 100 times, relaxing and you'll feel the pulling of the muscles. The looser you get the more you'll be able to rotate your shoulders and the less you'll move your hips.

This is a centreline exercise, as it gives you the ability to use your waist, without changing your root balance, thus, you'll be able to apply power, and not pull yourself off line and thus off balance.

Its not a really complicated thing, it builds strength and flexibility. I'm sure just about everybody has done it before, just my two bits.

GruBianca
02-04-2009, 01:40 AM
Waist power is something near and dear to us Pak Mei players, and our loong ying cousins.

David is, as usual, spot on about core strength training, but there is another thing to consider as well.

Learning to separate waist from hips. Many people can't do this, when they rotate their waist, they also shift their hips.

Imagine this, standing in stance, ping ma bo in our style, not the walking stance, the 'horse riding' stance, facing forward, hands on hips, elbows over the sides of your feet.

Lift your hands off your hips, touch the backs of your hands together in front of you, around your solar plexus, elbows out.

Lock your legs, lock your hips, and swing your upperbody left and right, rotating around your spine without moving your hips. Of course, your hips will move a bit, but try. keep your elbows out.

Soon enough you'll feel the separation at the waist/belly between the lower platform of legs and hips and the upper platform of waist and shoulders. Do it 100 times, relaxing and you'll feel the pulling of the muscles. The looser you get the more you'll be able to rotate your shoulders and the less you'll move your hips.

This is a centreline exercise, as it gives you the ability to use your waist, without changing your root balance, thus, you'll be able to apply power, and not pull yourself off line and thus off balance.

Its not a really complicated thing, it builds strength and flexibility. I'm sure just about everybody has done it before, just my two bits.

Are you describing what we call "wan yu"?
if yes, then we do have a very similar exercise in Pak Hok Pai but in Ma bo position hands on the hips.

Regards

PlumDragon
02-04-2009, 08:01 AM
kung fu fighter,

How you train the waist ultimately depends on what delivery system your style uses. As Yum Cha pointed out (good post, btw), some Hakka systems separate waist and hip movement to produce power; other hakka system purposely lock the spine, and everything its attached to, in place. Some systems coil to twist, and others twist the whole body as one unit. That is to say, howe you generate your power is specfic to what type of system you practice.

Certainly, nobody can go wrong by training their core, not just in martial arts, but general physical health. It is the primary conenction between upper and lower body, and increasing strength and flexibility in this region will help in any martial art, and in life in general...

kung fu fighter
02-04-2009, 11:43 AM
be diligent!

Yea, i have a gym in my building.

Thanks!, i wonder if they also use the waist this way in juk lum spm?

diego
02-04-2009, 05:38 PM
there is a series of movements from inside of shaolin nei-gong, but realy hard to explain in words. they do amount to core development though.

this type of stuff helps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne7bv88_kno

but qi gongs, yoga, heavy bag work where you deliberately using twisting power to throw your crosses in deep are very helpful. If you're diligent and don't overtrain, you can achieve quite a lot in even just a few months.

all lot of the traditional methods map over into modern day stuff. you'll see familiar stuff in the training in this video and in some of the ones on the side. for instanec, where he uses the ball, where he does the saxon bends and where he does the planks at the end are pretty much in traditional methods.

you could do the super hardcore hang upside down situps if you want, but essentially, if you strengthen your core, you gain overall strength and your waist will be able to generate even more power tahn before you started.

be diligent!

so Wood Chop is side bow stance and over head punch...

Saxon Bends is steal stance/t stance and high back fist to face use rear hand to gaurd at crown to fully stretch your core...

Side Bends with feet on the becnh elbow on floor is like chamber knee and side kick from the glutes...golden rooster to tiger tail kick.

Farmers Walk just do your form with military intent...

Planks again with the tiger tail kicks

it's not the best workout as titled it's some basic body developing exercises chen tai ji and hop ga foot work is the best core workout...:cool:

diego
02-04-2009, 05:45 PM
on a side note speaking of upside down situps, I read Jack Lalanne would swim with handcuffs on his wrists and ankles...:eek:

David Jamieson
02-04-2009, 08:26 PM
on a side note speaking of upside down situps, I read Jack Lalanne would swim with handcuffs on his wrists and ankles...:eek:

yeah but Jack Lalanne was like a yogi of fitness.

He'd inspire us, and we could aspire to his achievement, but dang if that dude hasn't shown us all what it is to be a mensch!

not a kungfu guy, but definitely has kungfu and definitely a master.

cool guy. grew up with him. still dig his stuff. still can teach us all http://www.jacklalanne.com/

jdhowland
02-09-2009, 08:18 PM

In Tibetan White Crane and Lama styles this cannot be stressed too much. Isolation of waist and pelvis is essential.

One exercise we do is to hold an iron bar or barbells in the crooks of the elbows and alternate right and left waist turning from either mah bouh or gung jin bouh. The muscles used in slowing/stopping and initiating the swing to the other direction develop strength while the inertia of the bar develops waist flexibility.

jd

jdhowland
02-09-2009, 08:31 PM
... we do have a very similar exercise in Pak Hok Pai but in Ma bo position hands on the hips.

GruBianca, are you sure you don't mean hands on the waist? I teach my students to attach the tiger's mouths of the hands to the lowest ribs when securing the hands to the waist for training drills. This prevents any part of the hand from making contact with the pelvis. If the little finger side of the palm touches any part of the hip it tends to inhibit free waist movement.

Sometimes students become lazy and let their hands rest on their hips. I call this the "Bette Davis posture."

Be well.

John

Gru Bianca
02-09-2009, 09:48 PM
[QUOTE=jdhowland;912512]....GruBianca, are you sure you don't mean hands on the waist? .....

yes you are right, it is waist not hips. I did post an incorrect information in my previous post. Sorry but even after several years I do get confused at times with the language :o

Regards

bakxierboxer
02-10-2009, 01:06 AM
cool guy. grew up with him.....

You're saying that you "grew up with" a guy that was born in 1914?

LSWCTN1
02-10-2009, 06:11 AM

actually i heard that was Chuck Norris...

:D

David Jamieson
02-10-2009, 06:22 AM

when i was growing up, he was at his height with his television show every morning.

This was in the 60's, remember? If not, you may be too young to remember. :)

diego
02-10-2009, 11:28 AM

see if you had actually done your phys ed studies you'd have known what Dave was referring to, read the history of art and fitness...

diego
02-10-2009, 11:29 AM
yeah but Jack Lalanne was like a yogi of fitness.

He'd inspire us, and we could aspire to his achievement, but dang if that dude hasn't shown us all what it is to be a mensch!

not a kungfu guy, but definitely has kungfu and definitely a master.

cool guy. grew up with him. still dig his stuff. still can teach us all http://www.jacklalanne.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIVfe-crHDs

daily dose of gung fu

David Jamieson
02-10-2009, 11:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIVfe-crHDs

daily dose of gung fu

That is some serious core strength right there! :eek:

the guy is phenomenal.

sanjuro_ronin
02-10-2009, 12:08 PM

the guy is phenomenal.

I can do a few 2 handed, but I don't even bother trying 1 !

diego
02-10-2009, 12:14 PM

the guy is phenomenal.

http://www.projectfit.org/iflifeblog/images/posts/LaLannePushUp.jpg

Jack La Lanne was a juvenile delinquent, once attacking his brother with an axe, and setting his family's house on fire. In adulthood, he blamed his youthful misbehavior on being fed too many high-sugar foods. At 15, his mother dragged him to hear a speech by nutritionist Paul Bragg. Inspired, La Lanne reformed his eating habits, eliminating everything made with white flour or white sugar, and instead ate almost nothing but fruits, vegetables, and fish for the rest of his life. Healthy foods were hard to find, so La Lanne concocted his own recipes, and by the age of 18 he owned a health-food bakery.

http://www.nndb.com/people/697/000022631/jack-lala-red.jpg

ack suggested in the interview that regular cocaine snorters should take bonemeal supplements to replace the calcium loss in their nasal septums. He promoted dieting and weight loss to Playboy readers by noting that "if you have a six-inch tool and a 50-inch waistline, the thing doesn't look very big, does it?" Jack said, "When you married a beautiful girl and all of a sudden you start seeing her tits down to here and her breath stinks and she's not clean anymore and has no pride in herself, you can't love her. You may bull**** yourself, but you can't. Energy makes people beautiful. That's what charisma is. You don't want to be close to someone who's dead and crapped out all the time, who's *****ing that it's a lousy ****ing world and 'Christ, my ulcers are killing me.' Maybe 50 or 60 percent of all divorces are predicated on someone's being physically unfit."

Then--thoughtlessly, perhaps, and only because I do it myself--I asked Jack LaLanne if he ever snacks before bedtime.

"Never!" he snarled. "You don't get it. I am one runaway son of a *****! I am an animal! I want to eat everything! I want to get drunk every single night! I want to screw every woman there is! We are all wild animals. But we must learn to use our minds. We must learn to control the bestial and sensual sides of ourselves!"

http://outside.away.com/outside/magazine/1195/11f_jack.html

Four years ago we interviewed Jack LaLanne and got his views on a variety of health issues. Now age 91, LaLanne is living testimony to the value of regular exercise and a healthy lifestyle. His clear message is that before 50 or after 50, it's never too late to get in shape. As Jack's often stated, "I can't die; it would be bad for my image!"

David Jamieson
02-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Energy makes people beautiful. That's what charisma is.

This is 100% true.

diego
02-11-2009, 02:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-vjSOtuvDI

check out the hung ga breathing intro...I swear jack trained with the asians teaching in Cali...

bakxierboxer
02-12-2009, 02:00 AM
when i was growing up, he was at his height with his television show every morning.

This was in the 60's, remember? If not, you may be too young to remember. :)

Nah, I was already "out of the house".