PDA

View Full Version : 8 STEP TRAINING

robertwilliam
04-30-2001, 03:43 AM
I was wondering about the training methods of the various "offspring" or last students (and the last students of students) of master Wei, and what and how they learned what they learned.My interest was sparked over the last several months of reading items on this website and participating in discussions on 8 step , and the "Will the real grandmaster...please stand up" game.Anyway, there were some terms used that I wasn't familiiar with and basicly I just wanted some input on the steps that everyone went through to go from point A to point B(my point B is about 2 inches away from my point A - HA HA).
I never really got the big picture as far as how extensive 8 step is - we had some levels requirement posted on plaques on the walls, and were told that there were 10 additional levels beyond the plaques ...but...like for instance, what are sessions? I've never heard of that until Bak Fu's post. I learned a bit when I was training, but, never heard the word session(s)I didn't learn a lot, but I feel that what I did get (after much experimentation) was solid, and I could tie in, and extrapolate applications that were not, just stumbled upon.Here's what I got in about 4 years;

1.body ccordinations 1-10 (Tan Tui?)
1a. applications for above

2 most basic to some advanced warm ups /stretching/breathing , falling techniques

3.some training methods - horse stance w rail road ties , tiger creeps down,shin & forearm conditioning, 8 way hand blocking drills, sensitivity drills, mantis grabbing , mantis stinging, "bean bag in the circle" and of course the thousands of punches and kicks

4.intro set (first 14 movements of the Shyun Tai Chi)
5.The 8's "showing" of the 8 stances, hands,fists,palms,elbows,blocks,low kicks,high kicks,knees,kicking blocks.

5a. One or two applications for each in #5 above

6.Meditation techniques

7.Seven Hands,power cut,small rolling wheel,large rolling wheel,intercept,and the #30!! (the flying drunken mantis eats the enemies' head - just kidding)
8.some applications for # 7 above, and a few ways to close in or step around or in.

9.A few throws, and jointlocks

Any input would be highly appreciated.

8stepsifu
04-30-2001, 06:37 AM
2 person sets, silver mantis applications, gold mantis applications to all the 8ths, 40 throws, joint locks and 5 sets. Kicking combinations 2 person. blocking and punching drills, kwa dropping excerceses in Mantis and tai chi. Specialized training for 36/108 joint locks, throwing, iron body and iron palm, shiatsu massage
stance work, heavy bag, focus mits, thai pads, . 4 elbow drill, long forms, long forms and more long forms which are the recipe and root of good kung fu, tai chi silk realing and tendon excercises, weapon sets. full contact training. Arm controls, leg controls, body contacts,

additional sets (there are lots more than 3), theories,footworks, and character princibles are taught after you are a sifu. It's not simply a demonstration of a principle, but how it fits into everything previously learned. Character princibles are actually substyles in and of themselves. Full contact fighting, knowlege, offensive fighting, rather than self defense focus. More joint locks, joint lock counters, joint lock continuations, counters to everything previously learned. Then more tai chi sets, more chi kung, more theories, Specialized weapons. Pressure points, Low Mantis

This also includes chinese medecine, massage, herbology, bonesetting, acupuncture, tui na.

just to name a few

don't worry be happy

pain_junkie
05-02-2001, 07:32 AM
Just out of curiosity, what is Low Mantis? I've seen you mention it a couple times but never heard of it before. Or maybe I have and just didn't realize it.

xygie
05-02-2001, 07:32 PM
I understand you'll be be able to see an example (pictures taken out of one of Master Wei's books), on www.prayingmantiskungfu.com (http://www.prayingmantiskungfu.com), in the near future...The photo is of Master Wang-Jia who currently teaches in Taiwan.

And, A picture of Master Lin as Wei Xiao Tang's senior disciple, also taken from one of Master Wei's books. :cool:

EARTH DRAGON
05-17-2001, 07:05 PM
to robert888 i believe that some of the info in 8 step is secret and only taught to trusted students ....not like the ones who learn for a cople of years " a very short time " and try to teach other people but the ones who stay with their shifu for some time and gain their trust indefinatly i too have seen the plaques but all info is not public for all eyes to see you see!!!!!

EARTH DRAGON
05-17-2001, 10:50 PM
TO PAIN JUNKIES QUESTION LOW MANTIS IS USED FROM A FALLEN POSTION "GROUND FIGHTING" IF YOU WILL SEVERAL TECNIQUES ARE USED TO TRAP THE LEGS OF YOUR STANDINNG OPP. AND EITHER PULL OR PUSH TO GET THEM OFF Balance TAKE OUT THEIR FOUNDATION AND BRING THEM TO THE GROUND , THEN A # OF JOINTLOCKING TECNIQUES TO IMOBILIZE OR BREAK I HOPE THIS SOMEWHAT ANSEWERS YOUR QUESTION THANK YOU

robertwilliam
05-18-2001, 03:31 PM
To sifu (earthdragon)-with all due respect, I want to clarify a couple of points,about my posts,and about my involvment in the American Chinese Martial Arts Federation.

1.I NEVER, and I mean NEVER talked any cr*p or had any bad feelings about anyone in your line(or generation) from yourself to Master Wei - that includes yourself, Dean,Joel,George,Master Sun, even "the Krav Magra master" - nobody.

I have only had the highest regards and respect for you guys, your level of knowledge, your respect for Master Sun - to the point where at times, I may have even been talking out my butt and exaggerating a bit to prove my point.Please read all 62 of my posts and links for the posts if you don't believe me.I have spewed stuff at people or things putting down Master Sun, and people who are whacked - out enough to put down Master Sun.From May of 1994 - present, I have always thought that If I didn't believe in Jesus, I would worship Master Sun - that's how much it's effected my life.

2.As far as teaching - I have never taught anybody anything other than real simple things that can be found in any kung fu system - ie. block,punch or grab, punch or hit high then hit low etc.I had no idea at the time (5 years ago) that using the mantis design with the wings spread was stepping on someones' toes - so, I immediatly stopped when I was told to, and promptly joined your school.

3.I don't claim to be any good in kung fu - If my wrestling, 8-step,hung ga , literature/tapes, street fights (about 25) etc. throughout my life were to be distilled into what I feel is solid training , well then, I would only have about three - four years.I have have referenced a ton of things to try to look into the "keyhole" of the mysteries of 8 step only to be a tiny bit further ahead of where I was when I stopped training.

4.I know i've had some problems with the starting/stopping, and skipping training sessions, and I'm truly sorry.I did stop by the school about a month ago, but,I think it would be the same thing over again - train for a couple of months, quit, come back, and so on, and I know you strive for consistancy.With three kids, 45 - 50 hrs a week job,a part time performing/recording rock band, a house to maintain, and so on, It would probally be the best just to keep healthy, and go through training on my own.Hopefully, some day I could train again, and maybe you can check out our band next time you see us in the club listing -We are called Dakota.Peace

EARTH DRAGON
05-19-2001, 06:39 AM
I am sorry if what i said offened you i did not mean any harm , i simply tried to clarify my stand .I think of you as a person with a good heart and good freind , i hope you find what you seek but remember sometimes its where we look last , right in front of us as i did hear sishung when he told me you stopped by , i was hoping you were going to countinue your traing i know you r busy but we can find time for things if it is important enough to spend it on........ well hope to see you p.s you spend to much time on the computer to have 62 posts LOL ha ha just kidding cu soon

http://www.kungfu.net

Located in Buffalo, NY.

Teaching 8 Step Praying Mantis Kung FU, Shyun style Tai Chi Chuan, Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung, Qi-Gong

EARTH DRAGON
05-29-2001, 04:30 AM
ROBERT I HAVE NOT HEARD FROM YOU WHAT HAPPENED

http://www.kungfuUSA.net