Nancy Pelosi says 500 million Americans lose their jobs every month:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8hMJVXt09E

Yet the United States current population is only a little over 300 million:

http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html

And idiots like her are going to be the ones fixing our economy? :eek:

golden arhat
02-04-2009, 04:19 PM
dont know about the economy,

but i know my mum is struggling to feed us and not be broke so the rest of the world must be takin it pretty hard

Mr Punch
02-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Get a job, Fred.

golden arhat
02-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Get a job, Fred.

i'm at college

and i'm joining the army

whaddya want

Lucas
02-04-2009, 04:49 PM
until you join the army, you need to fight in underground death matches and use the prize money to buy food for the family.

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-04-2009, 04:53 PM
until you join the army, you need to fight in underground death matches and use the prize money to buy food for the family.

just remember, never back down.

Mr Punch
02-04-2009, 04:58 PM
until you join the army, you need to fight in underground death matches and use the prize money to buy food for the family.LOL, I was thinking more a paper round. But that can be a tough discipline... getting up in the morning come rain come shine, avoiding the dogs and the ol' biatches, finding the quickest route to the next door (parkour-shmarkour), big heavy bag...

Fred, I was only winding you up, but...

get a job! :D

You're in college? I made the mistake of not working except in hols in uni and I'm still paying. You're going to join the army? So you're going to have some money? Yeah, I'm going to have some money one day.

I worked since 14, and was paying rent to my folks (my decision) from... 14.

golden arhat
02-04-2009, 04:58 PM
ahahaha amazing

golden arhat
02-04-2009, 05:00 PM
LOL, I was thinking more a paper round. But that can be a tough discipline... getting up in the morning come rain come shine, avoiding the dogs and the ol' biatches, finding the quickest route to the next door (parkour-shmarkour), big heavy bag...

Fred, I was only winding you up, but...

get a job! :D

You're in college? I made the mistake of not working except in hols in uni and I'm still paying. You're going to join the army? So you're going to have some money? Yeah, I'm going to have some money one day.

I worked since 14, and was paying rent to my folks (my decision) from... 14.

getting a job is easier said than done when everyones getting laid off!

and how mcuh rent were you paying at 14 realistically ahah 50p;)

Mr Punch
02-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Can't remember... but I think I was making 32 quid at 14 (paper round), and seem to remember paying 15... in those days it was more than now (we're talking over 20 years ago). Plus, and this is the important point that a lot of people don't seem to realise about economics and finance on a personal level, 15 quid a week to my parents was more than 0 quid a week. That means it's an improvement.

Let's put it another way, pal, if someone offered you 15 quid a week would you say, "No, thank you that's worth nothing!"?!

Plus they could stop paying my pocket money, and I started buying my own clothes, supplementing the food shopping and could even buy my own beer - not that my parents would've bought me that anyway (what can I say - I wasn't as wholesome a youth as you :o :D ).

golden arhat
02-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Can't remember... but I think I was making 32 quid at 14 (paper round), and seem to remember paying 15... in those days it was more than now (we're talking over 20 years ago). Plus, and this is the important point that a lot of people don't seem to realise about economics and finance on a personal level, 15 quid a week to my parents was more than 0 quid a week. That means it's an improvement.

Let's put it another way, pal, if someone offered you 15 quid a week would you say, "No, thank you that's worth nothing!"?!

Plus they could stop paying my pocket money, and I started buying my own clothes, supplementing the food shopping and could even buy my own beer - not that my parents would've bought me that anyway (what can I say - I wasn't as wholesome a youth as you :o :D ).

i'm sure they would have

plenty of my friends parents supply them with alcohol! ahah

i can see the sense in paying your parents rent at least its going straight into food your eating

YouKnowWho
02-04-2009, 07:17 PM
There was a house in Pismo Beach, California that has excellent ocean view and worth for $3,000,000 and sold for $1,600,000. Did Donald Trump say this is the best time to invest because everything is so cheap? This just remind me an old Chinese joke (野人献曝) that one day a barbarian went to the palace and suggested to the Chinese emperor that "Staying under the sun can keep your body warm." Donald Trump's comment was just from the opposite extreme.

WinterPalm
02-04-2009, 07:43 PM
We seem to be doing alright...but we're evil, right?:D

David Jamieson
02-04-2009, 08:22 PM
500 million?

man, you DO have an immigration problem down there!

:p

Reverend Tap
02-04-2009, 08:59 PM
500 million?

man, you DO have an immigration problem down there!

:p

Nah, every business just has a really high turnover rate. ;)

WanderingMonk
02-04-2009, 09:08 PM
the only way for this economic crisis to end is for the economy to grow.

for it to grow, either the consumers or businesses got to start spending.

it is our patriotic duty to spend money and buy until we drop :eek:

Reverend Tap
02-04-2009, 09:12 PM

Funny how that works out.

When the economy is good, it's "Buy more! Things are great so get out there and spend spend spend!"

When the economy is bad, it's "Buy more! Things are bad so get out there and spend spend spend!"

1bad65
02-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Nah, every business just has a really high turnover rate. ;)

If you believe Pelosi's numbers, we all get laid off 3 or 4 times a month. :rolleyes:

1bad65
02-05-2009, 09:52 AM

Actually, this is true. That's why tax cuts have always worked in ending recessions very quickly. It worked when JFK tried it, and when Ronald Reagan tried it. It gives people and businesses more money, money they will spend.

Like Rush Limbaugh always says, 'Just because the press says there is a recession, does not mean you have to participate in it.'

uki
02-05-2009, 09:53 AM
what economy?? hahahahaha!!!

planned financial ruin my friends... all planned so that the country will collapse in order to justify the establishment of a new world order, complete with foreign troops on american soil. :)

WanderingMonk
02-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Actually, this is true. That's why tax cuts have always worked in ending recessions very quickly. It worked when JFK tried it, and when Ronald Reagan tried it. It gives people and businesses more money, money they will spend.

always

is a big word.

Bush gave another tax cut last year to stimulate the economy, but did it get the economy out of its spiral?

Reagan said, when your friends and neighbors lose their jobs, it is a recession. When you lose your job, it is a depression.

There is enough fear that people are really cutting back. My supervisor cut back to just the essential and he makes a lot more than I do.

It is easy for rush to say what he says, but how much money is he putting into the economy right now? Why don't he build another studio? How much squeeze is he feeling?
He is right about it is psychology, but what has he done to right the ship beside his radio show? What concrete thing has he done to put Americans back to work?

Honestly, when Warren Buffet is uncertain about the next investment opportunity, we all should get a bit nervous.

I did my part this month, spent a lot of money booking trips and buying stuffs online. But, I am pretty sure that I'll still have a job next month. a lot of people can't say that today and that why they all saving their dollars and putting it into their saving account.

In another time, that wouldn't be so bad, because the banks would have all this money to lend, but because they made so many bad bets over these past couple years, they are using this increase in saving to shore up their balance sheet, so all the money is like being poured into a black hole and companies after companies announcing lay-off one after another.

bank ain't lending and consumers aren't spending. the business aren't going to spend either because there is low visibility. so, the economic growth come to a grinding halt.

I did my part, but can I do it next month, no. One person can't change the tide. We have to get to the tipping point. You have to some type of massive sea change in psychology.

That requires massive public work projects investing in the national infrastructures, or a huge killer apps that compel the consumers to go out and spend. failing that, we are going to wait several years until we find the bottom.

so, I say exercise your patriotic duty and go out and spend just a couple dollars more than you had originally planned.

1bad65
02-05-2009, 12:59 PM
always

is a big word.

Bush gave another tax cut last year to stimulate the economy, but did it get the economy out of its spiral?

Bush's tax cuts were not made permanent. That's a huge difference between his and the one's JFK and Reagan passed.

Look at it this way, if your boss gives you a 10% raise, but prefaces it by saying in two years he will re-evaluate things and might cut the 10% raise, would you be less likely to spend the extra money than if you just got it with no strings attached?

It is easy for rush to say what he says, but how much money is he putting into the economy right now? Why don't he build another studio? How much squeeze is he feeling?
He is right about it is psychology, but what has he done to right the ship beside his radio show? What concrete thing has he done to put Americans back to work?

Rush has two studios already, he built the second one in Florida awhile back as he lives there. So he has no need for a 3rd, unless he moves. Rush is well known to travel alot, eat at nice restaurants, and give to charity. He puts his fair share into the economy. It's not Rush's job to fix the economy. Sadly, it's people like Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and Barack Obama's job to do that. The scary thing is they have no idea how the free market works, so in all likelyhood they will fail to fix it, and may even make it worse.

Rush also pays his taxes, something many of Obama's Cabinet members do not do.

bank ain't lending and consumers aren't spending. the business aren't going to spend either because there is low visibility. so, the economic growth come to a grinding halt.

If they all got huge tax cuts, the banks would have more to loan, and the people would have more to spend. It's not rocket science.

so, I say exercise your patriotic duty and go out and spend just a couple dollars more than you had originally planned.

Agreed. ;)

Water Dragon
02-05-2009, 03:55 PM

Like Rush Limbaugh always says, 'Just because the press says there is a recession, does not mean you have to participate in it.'

Well, that's half the story. Maybe I should post the other half since you either don't know it, or are intentionally hiding it.

It's conservative lore that Reagan the icon cut taxes, while George H.W. Bush the renegade raised them. As Stockman recalls, "No one was authorized to talk about tax increases on Ronald Reagan's watch, no matter what kind of tax, no matter how justified it was." Yet raising taxes is exactly what Reagan did. He did not always instigate those hikes or agree to them willingly--but he signed off on them. One year after his massive tax cut, Reagan agreed to a tax increase to reduce the deficit that restored fully one-third of the previous year's reduction. (In a bizarre bit of self-deception, Reagan, who never came to terms with this episode of ideological apostasy, persuaded himself that the three-year, $100 billion tax hike--the largest since World War II--was actually "tax reform" that closed loopholes in his earlier cut and therefore didn't count as raising taxes.)

Faced with looming deficits, Reagan raised taxes again in 1983 with a gasoline tax and once more in 1984, this time by $50 billion over three years, mainly through closing tax loopholes for business. Despite the fact that such increases were anathema to conservatives--and probably cost Reagan's successor, George H.W. Bush, reelection--Reagan raised taxes a grand total of four times just between 1982-84.

here's the whole thing:
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2001/0301.green.html

1bad65
02-05-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm referring to income taxes. That is, by far, the biggest tax average Americans pay (well, the ones who are paying it).

Income taxes are the first tax people notice. They see it on their paychecks. Sin taxes, gas taxes, tolls, etc get raised all the time and no one seems to notice. But a huge income tax hike is felt immediately. As is a huge income tax cut.

Even Obama said during the campaign that you have to cut taxes in a recession. Oddly, his 'stimulus' package is missing the income tax cut he promised us that 95% of us were getting. :rolleyes:

WinterPalm
02-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Maybe the people that voted for Bush 2X should be held accountable!

Heck, we don't even have a military if we wanted a defense budget of world conquest proportions!

Water Dragon
02-05-2009, 05:20 PM
I'm referring to income taxes. That is, by far, the biggest tax average Americans pay (well, the ones who are paying it).

Income taxes are the first tax people notice. They see it on their paychecks. Sin taxes, gas taxes, tolls, etc get raised all the time and no one seems to notice. But a huge income tax hike is felt immediately. As is a huge income tax cut.

Even Obama said during the campaign that you have to cut taxes in a recession. Oddly, his 'stimulus' package is missing the income tax cut he promised us that 95% of us were getting. :rolleyes:

I see. I think you're playing semantics in the same way that closing tax loopholes is 'technically' not raising taxes even though it means more of our money comes out of our pockets and go into Uncle Sams.

So bad, would you be OK with raising gas taxes, social security taxes, excise taxes by 10-15 % as long as it wasn't the 'Income' tax that was raised?

Water Dragon
02-05-2009, 05:36 PM

Yes, and basic fiscal theory states that during recession, taxes should be lowered to stimulate the economy and during times of growth, taxes should be raised to create a surplus. The idea is that you build a surplus so that in times of recession or war, you can afford to run a deficit over the short term.

Everyone loves to talk about cutting taxes, yet nobody wants to talk about raising them. The unfortunate fact is that Congress has screwed up fiscal policy so badly, we can't really afford to cut taxes and/or raise spending without sending the defecit through the roof. The Republicans and the Democrats share the blame on this one because they are both guilty. Both parties f@cked up the system so they could get more votes.

Water Dragon
02-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Bro, I hate to keep harping on you, but you keep saying things that blatantly untrue. I don't care where your affiliations lie, but please don't misrepresent the truth to do so. Here's an article from Time breaking out what part Obama plays in the stimulus plan, and what part Congress plays. If you just don't know this stuff, educate yourself before you post. If you already know this then shame on you for using lies to support your argument.

The biggest challenge President Barack Obama faces in trying to sell America on his nearly $900 billion stimulus package is that, as it stands, it's not his. Rather, it is the product of the all-powerful House and Senate committee leaders on Capitol Hill to whom Obama and his team turned over authorship even before the new Administration entered the White House.

Over the course of the transition, when the bill was being drafted, top Obama aides held multiple meetings with committee staffers and their bosses, but in the end, the bill was written on the Hill. "They did a good job of really deferring to Congress," says one pleased senior Democratic aide involved in the bill's creation. (Read "How to Spend a Trillion Dollars.")

Some, however, aren't so pleased with the deference the Obama team showed. Apparently responding to public disaffection, a small but growing number of moderate Republican and Democratic Senators are opposing the bill, which they claim has become loaded down with pet projects and spending that have little to do with spurring immediate job creation and economic growth. "Unfortunately, the House-passed bill is much more like an omnibus bill than a stimulus bill," Maine Republican Senator Susan Collins told reporters on Wednesday after meeting with the President. She asked him to force Democrats to remove things from the stimulus like $780 million for pandemic flu preparation and $14 million for cybersecurity. "The White House would have been better off presenting a bill rather than just outlining priorities."

But that may not have been an option. For one thing, congressional staffers may be the only people in America with the dubious skill of being able to move nearly a trillion dollars into the national economy in a hurry. And Hill staffers claim that Obama needed the leaders of the various committees to tell him what the bill required to garner enough votes to pass. Either way, the fact that the bill is the product of free-spending congressional committees is likely to hurt Obama. It is defining his first major effort to fix the economy not as a new way of doing business in Washington but as a massive exercise in more of the same.

Martin Feldstein, the conservative economist who has been advising the White House as well as Hill Democrats and Republicans, was an early advocate for the stimulus but turned on the bill the House produced. He says the Senate bill, unveiled on Tuesday, is equally wasteful. "[Obama's team] turned it over to the congressional staffs," Feldstein says, and the result is that the bill spends like Congress always spends: with an eye to benefiting regional constituents. The problem, he contends, is that the bill's goal is to boost overall national spending, which is a very different thing.

Feldstein doesn't blame Obama or Larry Summers, the President's economy czar, whom Feldstein taught at Harvard and whom he has been advising in private in recent months. "The White House has been on the job for a few weeks," Feldstein says. "So if you said to them, 'Please design a program for improving the water supply of the United States,' Larry Summers is a brilliant guy, but he probably doesn't know a lot about water supply. And there's a committee in Congress that's been working on this for years."

Congressional staffers who wrote the legislation reject the criticism, arguing that such projects, and the tax cuts and direct state aid that form the bulk of the bill, are necessary to win votes. "If you're the White House, you have two concerns, just like we do," says the Democratic staffer involved in writing the bill. "I want something that's going to fix the economy and I want something that my chairmen say can pass."

By this staffer's account, during the transition, Summers, his deputy Jason Furman and the White House's top congressional liaison, Phil Schiliro, laid out the broad principles they wanted the bill to adhere to, but when it came to actual content, they deferred to the committee leaders. "Because otherwise what's the point in doing something, pie in the sky, if it doesn't have the votes?" the staffer says.

Of course the bill isn't set in stone, and Feldstein, who spoke with congressional Republicans on Tuesday, says it may change before it is passed, either before it clears the Senate or when it is in conference with the House thereafter. Indeed, the Senate voted on Wednesday evening to add a home-buying tax credit to the package, and Obama spent part of the day meeting with Senators like Collins and Nebraska Democrat Ben Nelson, who want to cut tens of billions of dollars in spending from it.

This is where Obama's next big test lies: the President may not be able to claim authorship of the bill, but an aggressive editor can change a lot. The question is whether the White House will accept the Hill's arguments for what is needed to pass the bill, effectively letting the Democratic committee leaders price the value of Obama's political capital, or whether the Administration will see for itself what the market will bear.

1bad65
02-06-2009, 08:02 AM
So bad, would you be OK with raising gas taxes, social security taxes, excise taxes by 10-15 % as long as it wasn't the 'Income' tax that was raised?

Of course not. The average American family already pays close to 50% of it's income in taxes already.

I'm just saying that twice in recent history we have been pulled out of recessions very quickly with large income tax cuts, so it only makes sense to try it again. I can't recall us being pulled out of a recession very quickly by massive Federal spending, however. Yet the current President and Congress seem hell-bent on trying it. :rolleyes:

1bad65
02-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Bro, I hate to keep harping on you, but you keep saying things that blatantly untrue. I don't care where your affiliations lie, but please don't misrepresent the truth to do so. Here's an article from Time breaking out what part Obama plays in the stimulus plan, and what part Congress plays. If you just don't know this stuff, educate yourself before you post. If you already know this then shame on you for using lies to support your argument.

If you're talking to me, then you need to educate yourself. Here is Obama calling it "his economic plan":

"President Barack Obama said Thursday that "the scale and the scope" of his economic plan is right, turning up the heat on critics he said were hawking "phony arguments" and "false theories of the past" to chip away at the bill's programs."

And here he is rejecting cutting the spending/pork on it and rejecting putting more tax cuts in it (notice the income tax cut he promised 95% of us is still missing):

"Obama rejected calls for more tax cuts and significant slashing of the bill's more than $800 billion price tag, and said complaints the package was a spending bill rather than a stimulus bill were off base."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/06/obama.stimulus/index.html

This is where Obama's next big test lies: the President may not be able to claim authorship of the bill, but an aggressive editor can change a lot. The question is whether the White House will accept the Hill's arguments for what is needed to pass the bill, effectively letting the Democratic committee leaders price the value of Obama's political capital, or whether the Administration will see for itself what the market will bear.

I think my link just answered those questions of yours.

SimonM
02-06-2009, 09:55 AM

When the economy is good, it's "Buy more! Things are great so get out there and spend spend spend!"

When the economy is bad, it's "Buy more! Things are bad so get out there and spend spend spend!"

That's because capitalist systems depend on constant expansion. Even a short period of stagnation causes massive damage and risks a down-spiral.

So even when the economy is "good" the participants in the system are needed to spend spend spend because if they don't....

Well we all know what happened in Japan in the mid-nineties.

jo
02-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Of course not. The average American family already pays close to 50% of it's income in taxes already.
ell-bent on trying it. :rolleyes:

On the tax front, why are so many of those people who point out "high tax rates" so opposed to a FLAT 15% NO LOOPHOLE SIMPLE TAX that would lower their taxes by more than half?:cool:

Also there is a marked difference between those tho are IN a high bracket and those who actually PAY those percentages....loopholes, you know.

- jo

jo
02-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Nancy Pelosi says 500 million Americans lose their jobs every month:

SHE WAS WRONG! Its more like almost 600 million last month!!!:eek:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/07/business/economy/07jobs.html

WASHINGTON — The United States lost almost 600,000 jobs last month, and the unemployment rate rose to 7.6 percent, its highest level in more than 16 years, the Labor Department said Friday.

- jo

jo
02-06-2009, 02:54 PM
If you believe Pelosi's numbers, we all get laid off 3 or 4 times a month. :rolleyes:

You believed in BUSH and look what happened.

Death, destruction, degredation of our way of life, decay and deficits.

OH JOY!:mad:

- jo

1bad65
02-06-2009, 03:01 PM
On the tax front, why are so many of those people who point out "high tax rates" so opposed to a FLAT 15% NO LOOPHOLE SIMPLE TAX that would lower their taxes by more than half?:cool:

I'm all for a flat tax.

Also there is a marked difference between those tho are IN a high bracket and those who actually PAY those percentages....loopholes, you know.

Or those who just don't pay. People like our Treasury Secretary, Tom Daschle, and Charles Rangel.

1bad65
02-06-2009, 03:05 PM
You believed in BUSH and look what happened.

Death, destruction, degredation of our way of life, decay and deficits.

OH JOY!:mad:

Bush will one day be remembered fondly for keeping this country safe against terrorism, mark my words.

My way of life got alot better the last 8 years. Of course I had to actually work, and not sign an ARM to buy a house I couldn't afford, or run up my credit cards, etc. If more people had lived like me, things would be alot better.

The deficit will be much higher in 4 years under Obama, mark my words on that too.

1bad65
02-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Speaking of taxes, how do you feel about everyone paying income taxes?

I'm all for it. As it is now, we have millions of people who do not have to pay any income taxes, yet getting to vote for representatives who set tax policy that will not affect them, but will affect millions of others who are actually contributing.

Hardwork108
02-06-2009, 03:21 PM

And when you follow the money trail you will know who benefits from the ups and downs of the world economy.;)

Water Dragon
02-06-2009, 03:51 PM
If you're talking to me, then you need to educate yourself. Here is Obama calling it "his economic plan":

"President Barack Obama said Thursday that "the scale and the scope" of his economic plan is right, turning up the heat on critics he said were hawking "phony arguments" and "false theories of the past" to chip away at the bill's programs."

And here he is rejecting cutting the spending/pork on it and rejecting putting more tax cuts in it (notice the income tax cut he promised 95% of us is still missing):

"Obama rejected calls for more tax cuts and significant slashing of the bill's more than $800 billion price tag, and said complaints the package was a spending bill rather than a stimulus bill were off base."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/06/obama.stimulus/index.html

I think my link just answered those questions of yours.

Yes, Sir. I did read that article. I also read the Time article that is linked on the same page. Here's a quote from it.

"The biggest challenge President Barack Obama faces in trying to sell America on his nearly $900 billion stimulus package is that, as it stands, it's not his. Rather, it is the product of the all-powerful House and Senate committee leaders on Capitol Hill to whom Obama and his team turned over authorship even before the new Administration entered the White House."

-edit-

You only listed part of a quote above, here's the whole thing:

'Obama rejected calls for more tax cuts and significant slashing of the bill's more than $800 billion price tag, and said complaints the package was a spending bill rather than a stimulus bill were off base.

"What do you think a stimulus bill is?" he said. "That's the point."

To critics who argue that the government shouldn't be spending billions with a large and growing deficit, Obama said, "I found this national debt doubled, wrapped in a big bow waiting for me as I stepped into the Oval Office."

This is why I keep going after your posts, Bad. You have good solid arguments, and you have logic as well. The only problem is that you twist the truth to support your arguments. I would probably agree with you 100 % if your arguments were based on the true story. Unfortunately, most of your quotes have been spin doctored.

If you want to argue that Obama made a mistake by allowing Congress to write the bill instead of introducing it himself, well that's a valid argument, but to imply that Obama created this bill and is trying to push it through Congress is false.

The Obama Administration laid out a set of guidelines and then allowed the House to write the actual bill. Am I upset with Democrats for putting a lot of crap into the bill? Yes, I am. Will I be upset with Obama if he allows that crap to stay in the Bill? Yes, I will. But that hasn't happened yet, and neither you nor I know what's going to happen when the final Bill hits his desk.

Water Dragon
02-06-2009, 04:14 PM
In regards to taxes, I laid out my position to you before. Yes, it is correct that taxes should be lowered in recessionary times to stimulate spending. Also, direct spending by the government is also a powerful tool to inject money into the economy. Combining both tools can stimulate the economy a lot in a short amount of time. The problem is that this will create a defecit in the short term.

To counterbalance that, taxes ahould be raised in times of economic growth to create a surplus (which will balance out the defecit created in recessionary times) and to keep growth at a slow steady rate. This is why anyone who calls for permanent tax cuts shows that they do not understand basic fiscal policy.

Problem is, there's been a lot of cutting but no raising. So now, we can't really afford to spend as the defecit has been out of control for a while. It's also why we can't really cut taxes either. If they would have raised taxes in 2003-2007, we could afford a 10 - 15 % reduction in income tax and suspend the corporate income tax for a while. We could also give banks tax credits for granting mortgage loans which would do a lot to stabalize the housing environment.

We can't do any of that because the Congress did what would get them re-elected, not the fiscally responsible thing. Since we vote for the Congress, it is the fault of the American people and our Gimme-Gimme-Gimme attitude that is to blame. It f@cked up the gov't in the same way it f@cked up everything else.

jo
02-07-2009, 11:04 PM
Speaking of taxes, how do you feel about everyone paying income taxes?.

I am for everyone paying 15% on every dollar earned.

- jo

jo
02-07-2009, 11:07 PM
And when you follow the money trail you will know who benefits from the ups and downs of the world economy.;)

Look at who benefits from WAR.

Peace is bad for business in todays world.

Billions made overnight in no-bid contracts due to hysteria generated by lies...9/11=Iraq.

-jo

Hardwork108
02-08-2009, 07:41 AM
Look at who benefits from WAR.

Peace is bad for business in todays world.

Billions made overnight in no-bid contracts due to hysteria generated by lies...9/11=Iraq.

-jo

Well put.

I am also looking at who benefits from the current economic crisis.;)

Hardwork108
02-08-2009, 04:26 PM
The Big bankers are the ones who benefit from the crisis and so do powerful political interests.:mad:

1bad65
02-08-2009, 05:10 PM
"Leading Republicans warned Sunday that the Obama administration's $800 billion-plus economic stimulus effort will lead to what one called a "financial disaster."

But the CBO warned the long-term effect of that much government spending over the next decade could "crowd out" private investment, lowering long-term economic growth forecasts by 0.1 percent to 0.3 percent by 2019.

"We're going to amass the largest debt in the history of this country, by any measurement, and we're going to ask our kids and grandkids to pay for it," he [John McCain] said."

On the flip side:

""Those who presided over the last eight years -- the eight years that brought us to the point where we inherit trillions of dollars of deficit, an economy that's collapsing more rapidly than at any time in the last 50 years -- don't seem to me in a strong position to lecture about the lessons of history," Summers told ABC's "This Week."

President Barack Obama, his advisers and the Democratic leaders of Congress argue the roughly $830 billion measure will help pull the U.S. economy out of its current skid. Much of the package involves infrastructure spending, long-term energy projects and aid to cash-strapped state and local governments.

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office reported last week that the measure is likely to create between 1.3 million and 3.9 million jobs by the end of 2010, lowering a projected unemployment rate of 8.7 percent by up to 2.1 percentage points."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/08/congress.economy/index.html

We shall see who is right. History favors the Republicans, as never in history has massive government social and infrastructure spending ended a recession or depression. Tax cuts have, however.