PDA

View Full Version : Taiji Jyeung

Steeeve
12-29-2000, 07:27 PM
Howdy

I'm a little confused

ok taiji jyeung is a system?the dan tui shou exist in every taiji style it's the sensitivity drill the push hand....now about the Mor wan jyeung It is a sensitivity drill?

about the taiji jyeung can you elaborate ...It s not the chen ,yang ,wu style
can you compare to the bagua zhang?

Thank you
Steeve

mantis108
12-29-2000, 10:01 PM
In Tai Chi Praying Mantis, the Taiji section includes 3 hand forms, 1 sword form and Push Hand Drills.

Dan Yen Tyui Sau (Solo or Single Push Hand)
Mor Wan Jeung (Clouding Caressing Palm)
Taijiquan
Push Hand Drills
Taiji Sword

As far as my understanding of this curriculum goes, I am under the impression, which came from my Mentor Galen, that Dan Yen Tyui Sau, the form, might have been from the Chen style (small circle) with the Taijiquan. Frankly, I might have misunderstood him. Jugding from the technical perspective, I would think that it is more reminisecnt of the Mor Wan Jeung. The origin of this set is kind of obscured. Mor Wan Jeung, however, was from a Taoist temple called "Ching Fung" (Green Summit). It is located some where between Yin Toy city (the old capital city of Shantung province) and Yi County (Sigung's home county). It is said that this form is inspired by the I Ching (Book of Changes). It has all the characteristics of Neijiaquan and is very similar to Taijiquan. I tend to think they are most likely from the same source, the temple. I can not substantiate this though.

All of the moves in the 2 Taiji Jeung forms use most open palms. There is no one single punch in this forms. Fingers, thumbs, web of hand, palm heels, knife hands, and back of hands are all used in them. Applications are quite "brutal" dispite the easy going appearance. The energy (Chi) flow in these 2 forms, I find, comes faster than Taijiquan.

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

taichi108
12-30-2000, 08:25 PM
Mantis108, I study Seven Star Mantis and Yang Tai Chi. Where can I get info on the Push Hands exercises that Taiji Mantis uses. Is there a site or video. If you can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

V/r

Steve M.

mantis108
12-31-2000, 01:21 AM
Hi taichi108,

As far as I am aware, there is not such a site availalbe. The drills are more or less the same Tai Chi drills as found in other styles. Except there is one that has a turn around and has a leap (Seem Chin? as in the Taiji Classics). Also, there is a non pre-arrange Push Hand, for lack of a better word, sparring as part of the training.

Mantis108

taichi108
01-01-2001, 01:27 AM
Thanks, Mantis108. I see the trapping hands of Mantis so closely related to Tai Chi, Chan Ssu Jing exercises and push hands. Was looking at what exercises were being taught to help other styles of Mantis. I was amazed at how well my older Kung Fu brothers understanding of sticking and adhering was in Seven Star Mantis. I'm sure The principles of Bagua and Tai Chi were used somewhere in the past by most styles of Kung Fu.

Thanks for replying,

Steve

initiate
01-01-2001, 02:43 AM
In Sifu Ly's class in Mich. He teaches a sung- tui-sou(two-person push-hands) form to long time students.It is a very interesting form that incorporates many of the push-hands drills from the system, as well as moves fron the tai chi jyeung,don lin tui-sou, and tai chi chua'n forms taught in this system.

mantis108
01-04-2001, 12:55 AM
TaiChi108,

You are welcome. I wish there are more TCPM people out in your area so that you can experience it first hand.

Initiate,

Thanks for sharing. Love to meet Ly Sifu some day. I am always interested to know more about the training in the Vietnam branch of TCPM. It fascinates me a lot. Just imagine training with Sigung during his prime. Love to hear more from you. Thanks

Mantis108

initiate
01-04-2001, 06:55 AM
My Sifu is very humble and doesn't talk about his training very much.Although lately he is having open Q&A sessions in his classes,and starting to tell us some stories of Chiu Kai.He said recently that with his teachers two middle fingers,if he grabbed you,took all your power because it hurt so bad.He also shared that during challenges Sigung would simply knock the opponent out the second they began to move."I don't move, but when you move I move first".I cannot tell you how much my Sifu stresses this tenant.

Thanks for the Invite I,ll talk to you Later