PDA

View Full Version : Tang Lang Poh Seem Vs Gwa Fu Poh Seem

mantis108
12-31-2000, 09:03 PM
This for the benefit of those who has the TCPM Wooden Dummy book.

On p. 95/96, there is the application titled "Tang Lang Poh Seem" (Mantis catches Cicada). It is one of the 64 Sau Fa which is, IMHO, the core teaching of the TCPM system. It is often confused with the move "Gwa Fu Poh Seem" (Catch Cicada in Ridge Tiger Stance) in Bung Bo Form. The move is also found in other forms as a closing posture.

Tang Lang Poh Seem is a Sau Fa which articulates Mantis approach to trapping. It uses Ou, Lau, Choi, Dui, Lim, Chee, and Tip. This is a Sau Fa that uses all 4 dynamics (Da, Ti, Na, and Shuai)of combat as well. Trapping in Mantis, unlike other disciplines, has 2 categories - captive or transitional. Captive Trapping is to wrap the opponent in such a manner that he finds no way out of an imminant defeat. This we see in Tang Lang Poh Seem. Transitional Trapping is to temperary immobilize the opponent's tool(s) or body part(s) in order to make a substantial strike. This is found in Gwa Fu Poh Seem in which we grab the hair to immobilize a body part (the head) as well as opening an otherwise unobtainable target (the back of the head). Most disciplines mainly use Transitional Trapping; whereas, TCPM uses Captive Trapping quite a bit.

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

Steeeve
12-31-2000, 09:31 PM
HI
Interesting post

When we talk about trapping we always put emphazize in the hands trapping......but a important part is to add the leg trapping to immobilize the opponent without the leg trpping the opponent can go away.... now in the mantis I think we have a lot of leg trapping for example the 7 star stance or tai chi stance can be a leg sweep but also a leg traps (like the kou pu toes in of bagua Zhang).

So when we talk of captive trapping we have the trapping hands and the leg traps?

Steeve

mantis108
01-01-2001, 10:09 PM
In Sau Fa, quit a number of the finishing moves in Captive Trapping involve the lower limbs. In fact, the trapping would not work without the involvement of the lower limbs. It is also important to remember footwork plays an active role in Mantis. It is not just to help you to gain or break ground. They should be applied to obstruct, distract, and arrest as well. A good Mantis stylist should make his opponent feels like fighting against many weapons comming at him instantly.

The ability to deploy more than one tool at a time is an important attribute developement of a Mantis stylist. Your train program should reflect that accordingly. Sau Fa in TCPM is an important training platform because it is about attribute developement more so that just technique drills.

Contraria Sunt Complementa

cha kuen
01-02-2001, 11:34 AM
I have the TCPM book also. The application shown in there is similar to what I was taught. I trap both guys hands underneath the opponent's left hand and wrap around to grab with a mantis hook. Same concept as the book though.