PDA

View Full Version : Two-man conditioning drill with a stick in Seven Star mantis(similiar to a tug of war)

phantom
01-01-2001, 06:10 PM
I understand that it is a common practice in Seven Star Mantis to have two people, each person grabbing one end of a stick, and they pull it back and forth towrads each other. It is similiar to a tug of war, only you let your partner pull it towrds him or her, then he or she lets you pull it towards you, and so on and so forth. I am sure that it is necessary to apply dit da jow on your hands, arms, and elbows before and after doing such training. However, I tend to think that it would not be a good idea to apply the jow on your hands while doing this, as the jow would make the skin on your hands soft, which would increase the likelihood of the stick cutting open a wound on your hand. I also think that this drill could mess up your wrists if either you or your partner pulls hard enough. Anybody agree/disagree?

Steeeve
01-01-2001, 08:00 PM
I don't thingh you have to use dit da jow for this exercise...you can employ it for impact training for recuparation (chi and blood circulation) if you have bruise and want to continue training... it's like tylenol used it but have moderation:))

If we talk about iron palm that's another think

that's sound like dit da jow for martial artist and creatine for weight training

Sorry for my english I hope to be understood:)

Steeve

KickingMantis
01-01-2001, 09:10 PM
Phantom,

The whole purpose of the drill is develop the wrist and forearms so your mantis grab technique develops as well as balance as your opponent pulls you, sensitivity and direction.

As far as I know no Jow is needed for this basic exercise :)

And the purpose of it is not to get in a "who can pull the hardest contest!"

"The key is to begin at the beginning;high level short cuts can only lead to dead end."
"If You can't be honest nothing can happen."

phantom
01-03-2001, 09:58 PM
Thanks, guys. I really appreciate it. Peace.

Bastet
01-04-2001, 05:55 AM
We have a drill similar to that in YKM. One person kind of twists the stick while the other tries to hold their end to prevent it from twisting. This also develops the wrists & forearms & strengthens the grip. Im not sure about the dit dar though, but we use it in most of our conditioning excercises.

blessed be,
a.