PDA

View Full Version : Doing a split . . . ?

wetwonder
02-09-2009, 08:54 PM
I'd really like to get myself to a point where I could do a split. Any folks out there that have made it a goal, whether accomplished or not? If you could share some thoughts about how to work at it? I've asked some people, who can do splits, about what I should be working on - and they kind of don't answer the question. I get the feeling that there exists an undercover club of people that can do splits, and any insights are suppposed to be kept a big secret.

Disclaimer: This thread is intended to start a substantive discussion on doing splits as a training goal for martial arts. Please do not reply with posts asserting that I should not worry about doing a split, or that splits are politically incorrect. And please don't comment on the qualifications of members that post advice.

xcakid
02-09-2009, 09:11 PM
I was able to do the split in my mid teens up till my late 20's when I quit martial arts. When I returned in to MA in my late 30's I am about 4-5 inches off the ground.

Basically, I achieved this by trying to do the splits without using my hand to hold me up. Just legs muscles. As I relaxed I would let myself sink lower. Both left and right side. This took, if I recall correctly, about a year to sink down to a full split. Doing this after kung fu class mayber 2-3 times a week as a part of my stretching routine. Now bear in mind I was around 14-15yrs old when I started this.

Exadon
02-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Do a front split as far as you can go. Have a teacher or friend grab your front food and pull it out f@rther. Then have him press down on your back slightly to push you lower to the ground

Or you could shell out 200$ for a split machine. We have one at school, they work pretty well

YouKnowWho
02-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Check on the Door frame stretching thread under Kung Fu training and health. Staying in split position everyday and count to 300 and then switch side (you have to force yourself to do that everyday). The day that when you jump in the air and you can do a perfect split on the ground without feeling pain, you are there.

Twist your leg around a pole and use your arm to pull the leg back up will be a good method too.

When I was young, I want to be able to kick as pretty as Bruce Lee did in his movie. When I get old, I want to be able to do "leg lift" throw as pretty as my teacher did. My motivation is different but the end result will still be the same.

[img=http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6430/changlegliftingrg5.th.jpg] (http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=changlegliftingrg5.jpg)

TenTigers
02-09-2009, 09:35 PM
NEVER have a friend pull your leg like that.
Your friend cannot feel your range of motion and your limit, only you can. And when you say "STOP" it will take a bit more before your friend registers it and responds. That could very easily be too late and you will end up with a severe tear. If you do use a partner, make sure it is someone who has half a brain, and can ease the stretch slowly and carefully, a little at a time, listening to you every step of the way, otherwise, do it yourself.
Be careful wit stretching machines-many do not adequately support your leg,especially at the thighs and knees. Many will stretch your legs from the ankles,and put undue lateral strain on the knee joint. You may not feel it at first, but you can strain, or tear ligaments, and cause permanant damage.
You don't need machines. Gymnasts, ballet dancers, and of course Martial Artists have been doing splits for hundreds of years without the use of machines.
If you stretch three times a day, you will see progress within a few weeks.
Stretch in the morning-lightly. Just to prepare yuor body for the day. Nothing strenuous.
Then stretch mid day. You can do a little more, but again, nothng strenuous.
Then, stretch at night. After being up and around the entire day, your body will respond to the stretch. Warm up first, and then sit in front of the TV on the floor, and stretch while you watch TV. You will end up putting in a good hour or more in this way, and before you know it, your flexibility will increase.
Don't overdo it and be patient.
Chuck Norris didn't get his split until he was 49.

TenTigers
02-09-2009, 09:36 PM
I'm 51, and I can still kick the top of the door jam.:cool:

wetwonder
02-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Thanks TenTigers, I didn't know that fact about Chuck Norris. Tell him that I won't tell anyone else.

Shaolinlueb
02-09-2009, 10:03 PM
jsut keep stretching. i usually stretch until i would say when, and then go past it a bit. it worked. the final inch or so is the hardest cause you feel like you are there.

used to have full splits front and back, but now i am out of it.

Reverend Tap
02-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Just do splits every day. Push yourself lower, try not using your hands, and if you're feeling particularly masochistic, do it on a tile or smooth wood floor in socks. Trying to meditate while in splits can help as well by reducing the amount you fight against the stretch with your legs (the biggest barrier most people have to getting their splits isn't lack of flexibility, it's active resistance).

When I was in gymnastics, we would also occasionally do middle splits against a wall, pushing ourselves forward and using the friction of the (carpeted) floor to keep us in place. That can be hard on your knees if you push too much, though, so I don't recommend doing it often.

We do partner stretching for splits in the kwoon (back/side against the wall, partner lifts your leg) and I think they're really quite valuable, but it cannot be emphasized enough that your partner has to proceed SLOWLY so that they can stop where you need them to. You don't wanna deal with muscle tears from stretching; I once had a gymnastics coach who actually believed that they were desirable because "the muscle will heal back longer," and would push way too hard with a bouncing motion. That was some of the worst training I've ever gone through, and it was a miracle that none of the guys had to go to the hospital during the short time he was there.

Edit: oh, and no, you aren't "there" when you can jump into splits. That's when you start working over-splits by putting blocks under your feet.

Exadon
02-10-2009, 07:57 AM
NEVER have a friend pull your leg like that.
Your friend cannot feel your range of motion and your limit, only you can. And when you say "STOP" it will take a bit more before your friend registers it and responds. That could very easily be too late and you will end up with a severe tear. If you do use a partner, make sure it is someone who has half a brain, and can ease the stretch slowly and carefully, a little at a time, listening to you every step of the way, otherwise, do it yourself.

EDIT:
I should say that TenTigers is 100% right. I should have made it more clear on my post that you need to stretch with ease with your partner.

I still think it is best to stretch with a partner then by yourself (for me).

A partner can help you reach a farrther range then you would be able to do alone.

but yes ofcourse do it with ease, I should have been more clear on my comment above.

Doing a split takes time and it is never something you should rush as pointed out above. TenTigers is ofcourse right that there is no need for machine. Seeing as how they also cost 200+$ for a good one.

Exadon
02-10-2009, 07:59 AM
We do partner stretching for splits in the kwoon (back/side against the wall, partner lifts your leg) and I think they're really quite valuable,

We do this stretch as well in class. It works really well.

Lucas
02-10-2009, 11:38 AM
one method i use to help me is this;

first i stretch my entire body. I go through the full stretch routine before i every focus on any one stretch. i like to have my whole body ready. then i stretch as far as i can into front and side splits, going from standing position. then i take a length of rubber medical tube and wrap it around a pole. i sit down into the splits and lean forward with my body weight to put my forearms/chest on the ground. once i have this stretch to where i am at naturally, then i use the aid of the rubber cord and pull myself further, opening my splits further then i can with out any aid. its very similar to partner stretching, except you control everything. you can certainly injur yourself if you are not paying attention. but its quite safe as long as you pay attention to your body.

this is one thing that i do to help myself when i am alone.

i was actually injured by a partner in partner stretchin in 07' and really messed myself up. even though it was not my fault, and some people DO NOT listen when you tell them to stop. your just being a 'wuss' little do they know they are just being ignorant.

well now I am working myself back, the injury is completely healed, and I have regained most of my flexability back in that area. lots of self induced pain and hard work.

i dont say to do this, but it just helps me.

a friend of mine who can do the splits between chairs with weights told me what he first did was do the splits in front of his couch, then grab the bottom and pull himself deeper. same idea, but i use my rubber tube for many other stretches/exersizes as well.

its amazing how much one little tube can do for you.

Lucas
02-10-2009, 11:39 AM
We do this stretch as well in class. It works really well.

with a good partner wall/floor stretches are a huge help.

diego
02-10-2009, 11:48 AM
I'd really like to get myself to a point where I could do a split. Any folks out there that have made it a goal, whether accomplished or not? If you could share some thoughts about how to work at it? I've asked some people, who can do splits, about what I should be working on - and they kind of don't answer the question. I get the feeling that there exists an undercover club of people that can do splits, and any insights are suppposed to be kept a big secret.

Disclaimer: This thread is intended to start a substantive discussion on doing splits as a training goal for martial arts. Please do not reply with posts asserting that I should not worry about doing a split, or that splits are politically incorrect. And please don't comment on the qualifications of members that post advice.

I'm working on splits as well...

PNF Stretching

PNF stretching (or proprioceptive muscular facilitation) is one of the most effective forms of flexibility training for increasing range of motion (1,2).

PNF techniques can be both passive (no associated muscular contraction) or active (voluntary muscle contraction). While there are several variations of PNF stretching, they all have one thing in common - they facilitate muscular inhibition. It is believed that this is why PNF is superior to other forms of flexibility training (1,2,3,4).

Both isometric and concentric muscle actions completed immediately before the passive stretch help to achieve autogenic inhibition - a reflex relaxation that occurs in the same muscle where the golgi tendon organ is stimulated. Often the isometric contraction is referred to as 'hold' and the concentric muscle contraction is referred to as 'contract'.

A similar technique involves concentrically contracting the opposing muscle group to that being stretched in order to achieve reciprocal inhibition - a reflex muscular relaxation that occurs in the muscle that is opposite the muscle where the golgi tendon organ is stimulated.

Using these techniques of 'contracting', 'holding' and passive stretching (often referred to as 'relax') results in three PNF stretching techniques. Each technique, although slightly different, involves starting with a passive stretch held for about 10 seconds.

For clarity and to compare each technique, think of a hamstring stretch in the supine (on back, face up) position for each example. The athlete places one leg extended, flat on the floor and the other extended in the air as close to right angles to the body as possible.

Hold-Relax
#

A partner moves the athlete,s extended leg to a point of mild discomfort. This passive stretch is held for 10 seconds.
#

On instruction, the athlete isometrically contracts the hamstrings by pushing their extended leg against their partner's hand. The partner should apply just enough force so that the leg remains static. This is the 'hold' phase and lasts for 6 seconds.
#

The athlete is then instructed to 'relax' and the partner completes a second passive stretch held for 30 seconds. The athlete's extended leg should move further than before (greater hip flexion) due to autogenic inhibition activated in the hamstrings.

Contract-Relax
#

A partner moves the athlete's extended leg to a point of mild discomfort. This passive stretch is held for 10 seconds.
#

On instruction, the athlete concentrically contracts the hamstrings by pushing their extended leg against their partner's hand. The partner should apply enough force so that there is resistance while allowing the athlete to push their leg to the floor (i.e. through the full range of motion). This is the 'contract' phase.
#

The athlete is then instructed to 'relax' and the partner completes a second passive stretch held for 30 seconds. The athlete's extended leg should move further than before (greater hip flexion) due to autogenic inhibition activated in the hamstrings.

Hold-Relax with Opposing Muscle Contraction
#

A partner moves the athlete's extended leg to a point of mild discomfort. This passive stretch is held for 10 seconds.
#

On instruction, the athlete isometrically contracts the hamstrings by pushing their extended leg against their partner's hand. The partner should apply just enough force so that the leg remains static. This is the 'hold' phase and lasts for 6 seconds. This initiates autogenic inhibition.
#

The partner completes a second passive stretch held for 30 seconds, however the athlete is instructed to flex the hip (i.e. pull the leg in the same direction as it is being pushed). This initiates reciprocal inhibition allowing the final stretch to be greater.

Here are some other general guidelines when completing PNF stretching:

1. Leave 48 hours between PNF stretching routines.

2. Perform only one exercise per muscle group in a session.

3. For each muscle group complete 2-5 sets of the chosen exercise.

4. Each set should consist of one stretch held for up to 30 seconds after the contracting phase.

5. PNF stretching is not recommended for anyone under the age of 18.

6. If PNF stretching is to be performed as a separate exercise session, a thorough warm up consisting of 5-10 minutes of light aerobic exercise and some dynamic stretches must precede it.

7. Avoid PNF immediately before, or on the morning of competition.

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/pnfstretching.html

diego
02-10-2009, 11:55 AM
History

In the early to mid 1900s physiologist Charles Sherrington popularized a model for how the neuromuscular system operates. Irradiation is when maximal contraction of a muscle recruits the help of additional muscles. Reciprocal innervation causes one muscle to relax when its antagonist contracts, allowing a joint to bend. Successive induction is the contraction of one muscle followed immediately by the contraction of its antagonist, and this promotes strength and flexibility. Based on that, Herman Kabat, a neurophysiologist, began in 1946 to look for natural patterns of movement for rehabilitating the muscles of polio patients. He knew of the myotatic stretch reflex which causes a muscle to contract when lengthened too quickly, and of the inverse stretch reflex, which causes a muscle to relax when its tendon is pulled with too much force. He believed combinations of movement would be better than the traditional moving of one joint at a time. To find specific techniques, he started an institute in Washington, DC and by 1951 had two offices in California as well. His assistants Margaret Knott and Dorothy Voss in California applied PNF to all types of therapeutic exercise and began presenting the techniques in workshops in 1952. During the 1960s, the physical therapy departments of several universities began offering courses in PNF and by the late 1970s PNF stretching began to be used by athletes and other healthy people for more flexibility and range of motion. Terms about muscle contraction are commonly used when discussing PNF. Concentric isotonic contraction is when the muscle shortens, eccentric isotonic is when it lengthens even though resisting a force, and isometric is when it remains the same.[1]

[edit] Techniques

wikipedia...

YouKnowWho
02-10-2009, 12:07 PM
- Ask your opponent to hold on your legs.
- You try to split your leg but your opponent won't let you to.
- After you get exhausted fighting against your opponent's legs holding, your opponent let go your legs and you can do a nice comfortable split.

When you bend a bamboo to one extream, it will bent toward the opposite extream. I don't know you want to call this mental or physical but it works very well.