PDA

View Full Version : Taiji Mantis:HK Branch/Vietnam Branch

Steeeve
01-04-2001, 06:41 PM
What's the difference of the teaching of the late Sigung Chiu Chuk Kai at the HK versus Vietnam?

The curriculum is different?

Steeve

ShaolinMantis
01-04-2001, 09:05 PM
I am not of much help here on this. I will put out this. At a resent gathering Eng Sifu ( Vietnam era ) compared a technique he learned with the same technique Ling Sisuk ( Hong Kong era ). Sifu said afterward that it was the same as what he learned only more refined. The 10 year difference was less energy was used in the Hong Kong version.
As far as the curriculum ...?

ShaolinMantis-I

mantis108
01-04-2001, 11:24 PM
Here are some observations which is straightly my own impression on the matter.

1) There are few hand forms that are not on the HK Curriculum such as Dai Sui Fang Che, Lup Hop Jeung (?) etc... Weapon forms also.

2) There seems to be a Speed version on at least 2 forms: Bung Bo and Jak Yiu. Vietnam era seems to have an emphasis on the speed version forms.

3) I agree that the Vietnam version seems to have more hard power.

4) fluidity and economy of motion is stressed in HK era. This concept is quite evident in the 2 men weapon sets.

5) Taiji forms are done as warm up in HK and Sau Fa is also a must.

IMHO, I speculate that TCPM was quite reminiscent of 7 stars prior to Sigung's time. With the injection of Taiji curriculum, there seems to be a paradigm shift... Just a thought.

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

Taijimantis
01-04-2001, 11:25 PM
A good example of Vietnam Era training (which I am sure he is) Sigung must have just done as he saw fit :)

I have asked the same question many times, and I have been told that there are differences in the forms (some slight some not so slight) perhaps some of this is Master Ly giving to the evolution of the style as well. We have no real curriculum in our class past the first four empty hand sets (gung li chuan, bong bo etc...) from what I have been told... then Sifu teaches you whatever he feels you are best suited and ready for.

Si Hing Initiate and Si Hing Mantis108 would be the ones to ask.

I probably just mucked it all up...

I really need to learn to only respond to posts withinmy realm of expertise... :D

initiate
01-05-2001, 05:15 AM
I don't have any experience in the Hong Kong era .I only Have experience With Ly Sifu, and his class has gone through many changes over the 17 plus yrs I have been with him.When he arrived from viet nam he spoke no english and was very hardcore in his approach.He would never injure any one ,but I can think of more than one occasion where he shocked me within an inch of my life during application practice. He was so strict in fact that the class went from 10 or 12 students to 2 and stayed at about 2 for a year or so.He also has shifted a little bit more towards developing fluidity and sensitivity.The viet nam era to me means when I first started my sifu would scream "sit low, more power", "chu li,chu li !", and "close mouth, breathe nose" and that was all he would say.Even though he would not speak much, He taught volumes through application practice.On the hong kong era I can only speculate, so I won't.