PDA

View Full Version : Raging Phoenix

GeneChing
02-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Next up from Jeeja Yamin, starlet of Chocolate (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49620)

Rumors of leading man for Jeeja Project (http://thaifilmjournal.blogspot.com/2009/01/rumors-of-leading-man-for-jeeja-project.html)
That the next movie for Chocolate star Jeeja Yanin Vismistananda would have a romantic angle was mentioned awhile back, and as the film, for now tentatively titled simply Jeeja Project, is being readied for release this year (probably around mid-year), more details are emerging.

Rashane Limtrakul, who directed the highly stylized Joop (Kiss) segment of the recent 4 Romances omnibus, is helming Jeeja Project, with Prachya Pinkaew as producer. Jeeja will play an ordinary young woman and display a fuller range of dramatic emotions than she did as the autistic Zen in Chocolate. Heck, she'll even get to speak!

That much is confirmed.

But rumors have it that the leading man in the movie will be French-Vietnamese martial-arts stuntman Kazu from the French martial-arts trio Tri-X, which have been working with stunt guru Panna Rittikrai for several years now.

In an interview on TV station Modernine (here's a subtitled clip on YouTube), Rashane is asked about the rumor, which he neither confirms nor denies.

Kung Fu Cinema has more about Tri-X and the Jeeja Project rumor. Head on over and have a look.

Update: Twitch weighs in as well.

Kung Fu Cinema has some nice vids

French trio join Jeeja for Rittikrai’s latest? (http://www.kungfucinema.com/?p=4650)
By Mark Pollard on January 21, 2009

Throughout 2008 there have been quiet rumblings of a new film project that Thailand’s top action director has been working on. At least two members of France’s Team Tri-X stunt team have been in Thailand training with ONG BAK action director Panna Rittikrai for what looks to be CHOCOLATE star Jeeja Vismitananda’s second action film.

Team Tri-X is made up of Eric Cullet (aka “Newik”), Alaa Oumouzoune (aka “Alaa”) and “Kazu.” It is the latter fellow, a Vietnamese-Frenchman who is rumored to be starring opposite Jeeja in an as yet untitled Panna Rittikrai film that is described as a “romantic action movie.” ONG BAK director Prachya Pinkaew is producing. The news broke on our forums courtesy of member “king hades” who translated a TV report from MCOT News.

It’s worth taking a look at these three French stunt actors. After the team made a memorable TV appearance with Jet Li while the martial arts legend was promoting UNLEASHED in France (see video), Newik and Alaa were picked up by Pinkaew to appear in the Thai superhero actioner MERCURY MAN (2006) which was action choreographed by Rittikrai. The pair, along with Kazu must have made a good impression on Rittikrai because he has been training with them ever since.

Rittikrai is well known for taking an unusually long time to train his stunt actors for fighting roles. Tony Jaa had worked under him for years before emerging as the star of ONG BAK. Jeeja spent at least two years training with him. The Tri-X members have been training with Rittikrai for this new film for several years already. Kazu, Newik, Rittikrai and other members of his stunt team were featured on a TV program in early 2008 to offer a preview of some of the stunt work that we can expect in this new film.

What is remarkable is that all of Rittikrai’s star stunt actors have proven they have sufficient skill to perform rehearsed choreography for TV and live audiences. In the following video except taken from a guest appearance on a Taiwanese TV program to promote CHOCOLATE, Jeeja displays some of her impressive screen fighting skills. I should offer a word of caution regarding this video though. Most of it consists of some very obnoxious comedy from several young gentlemen. I have set the video to start four minutes into the clip and Jeeja’s fighting only lasts about 80 seconds. I recommend skipping the rest of the video.

Twitch has a news report

CHOCOLATE’s Jeeja Yanin Returning To The Big Screen in 2009! (http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/chocolates-jeeja-yanin-returning-to-the-big-screen-in-2009/)
Posted by Todd Brown at 10:55am.

Now, while I am of the opinion that Prachya Pinkaew’s most recent martial arts film Chocolate is a deeply flawed piece of work, there is no doubt whatsoever that it’s star - Jeeja Yanin - is a huge talent, one who can go as far as she wants to with her martial arts skills. But can she act? We’re about to find out ...

Word is out in Thailand that Yanin has been quietly working on her sop****re feature. Already in production, very little is known about this one so far - not even the proper title - but the film is apparently deep enough into the process that a mid-2009 release date is being projected. All that is being said so far is that the film - referred to for the time being as the Jeeja Project - is an action romance featuring a mixed-race male star (a rarity in Thailand, where foreign influence can still be an issue) and that she will be called upon to show a great deal more range in her performance.

What is most surprising here is how quiet production company Sahamongkol Film has been keeping this. With the European Film Market right around the corner you would expect this to be plugged in all of their current mailings but there hasn’t been a single mention of it so far. Have the extensive production delays with both Chocolate and Ong Bak 2 taught Sahamongkol to play their cards a little close to the chest this time? More details as we get them ...

You can check a Thai news report about the film below the break.

We here at KungFuMagazine.com, we're running a sweepstakes for Chocolate (http://www.kungfumagazine.net/index.html), which was released on DVD yesterday. :cool:
Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 02/24/09. Good luck everyone!

GeneChing
07-07-2009, 09:36 AM
At least that's what Kung Fu Cinema (http://www.kungfucinema.com/jeeja-yanin-rocks-out-on-set-of-raging-phoenix-8663)sez. Check out the pics on deknang.com (http://www.deknang.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=840). Click for pics.

GeneChing
07-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Raging Pheonix trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyGOobhjD8s)

Here's an article I ran through Babelfish from a Chinese news site (http://video.libertytimes.com.tw/topnews.php?i=3487):

Thai Zhang Ziyi - qin fine incarnation rock and roll drummer
2009/06/26,20:56

Thai Zhang Ziyi - qin fine incarnation rock and roll drummer
The health regards movie Taiwan on June 27 (Saturday) 9:00 pm entire Taiwan own first broadcasts
“the fatal chocolate” hits world not to have the rival

The health regards movie Taiwan on June 27 (Saturday) 9:00 pm, entire Taiwan own first broadcast by has “” the fatal chocolate which “Thai Zhang Ziyi” the name qin praises acts the leading role. Because performs “the fatal chocolate”, the agile fist foot time, lets the qin fine name raise Asia, including Mo Wenwei, Zhou Xingchi to her big table appreciation! The qin fine has spent the martial arts time which 4 years train hard, hits in “the fatal chocolate” is agile, is agile and fierce, last year brought the signature work “the fatal chocolate” to come to Taiwan to screen, visited Taiwan for the first time, at that time caused not the small tornado, also let the movie fan look, loudly shouted satisfies a craving!

Following the first movie “the fatal chocolate”, the qin fine success fires the bright international given name, recently she started to carry on aggressively films her second movie “Raging Phoenix” (to translate temporarily: Angry phoenix), qin fine incarnation rebel rock band's drummer, this Wugong small day later, did not shadowbox, changes has beaten a drum, but, the qin fine shouted straight, beat a drum may compared to the shadowboxing, came too to be many difficultly.

She in the new movie, performs at the night shop performance's rock band drummer, as soon as changed formerly in “the fatal chocolate” the simple and honorable self-closing young girl image, the big change to be going against the golden hair picture smoking heavy powder rebel female, self-confident, was stubborn. With real life's she, is completely different, the qin fine develops, loudly shouts satisfies a craving, probably crossed the second life. Those who most let her disturbed is, she in the new movie, challenges the sentimental play for the first time, talks the love with the actor. Regards movie Taiwan regarding the health soon on June 27 (Saturday) 9:00 pm, entire Taiwan own first broadcast “the fatal chocolate”, she anticipates very much!

Mentions Taiwan, the qin fine thought of very much Taiwan's snack, thought of improves looks Shu Ya the milk hot spring!

Shaolinlueb
07-16-2009, 08:11 PM
sounds like a pr0n.

GeneChing
12-17-2009, 06:19 PM
RAGING PHOENIX Trailer with English Subtitle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejM7ZCEzs5A)

Looks promising...

brothernumber9
12-21-2009, 09:44 AM
I just watched Raging Phoenix yesterday. Like most Thai movies, you have to watch the first half to understand at all if and what the storyline is.

Nonetheless, there is more than enough fighting to make up for the confusion. Full of drunken/breakdancing/traidional Thai martial arts and sometimes comical but very creative fight choreography (not a surprise for a Baa-Ewe-Ram pic), Raging Phoenix was worth a watch, albeit with a healthy dose of things that make you go "hmm?". The characters' quirky personalities and the disjointed filming style interestingly enough actually helped to keep my attention during the non-fighting scenes.

The biggest drawback for me in the film was that at the beginning of the film, the bunch of "good guys" were introduced as a bunch of breakdancing martial artists whose skills were developed around drinking copious amounts of alcohol. But half way through the film they seemed to abandon the drinking/drunken aspect alltogether.

Anyone who doesn't look for too much substance in a movie outside of wild fight scenes will likely find Raging Phoenix worth a viewing.

GeneChing
09-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Enter to win Raging Phoenix (http://www.kungfumagazine.net/index.html). Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 09/30/2010. Good luck everyone!

Xiao3 Meng4
09-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Just watched the trailer... the movie's on my list now.

I love how they touted the action details:

"Watch BBoy Dance Transform into Martial Arts Killing Moves!"
"First Time Ever! Chinese Drunken Fist Vs. Drunken Muay Thai!"
"Real Fight: Real Injuries: Flashier Than Ever!"

Jimbo
09-25-2010, 11:17 AM
I really liked this movie. IMO, it outdoes Chocolate, which I previously felt was the best of the Bah-Ram-Ewe movies I've seen. I don't understand some of the negative criticism I read some time ago on other forums about Raging Phoenix. It isn't perfect (what movie is?), but it showcases a decent story, good action, and good acting. Yes, Jeeja Yanin can actually act. Her acting is a lot better than Tony Jaa's, IMO, and so are the quality of the stories in her movies.

Of course, there's always the question of: Why does the most powerful, feared gang consist of only a few martial arts fighters, sans guns? But then, these movies are meant to be physical showcases for the stars/performers.

jethro
09-25-2010, 03:18 PM
I also liked this even more than Chocolate! And I loved Chocolate. I agree Jeeja is great in this, both with her fighting and acting. The action overall is very creative, which is the main reason why I loved the movie. When I heard about this dance choreography, the first thing that popped in my mind was The Banquet aka Legend of the Black Scorpion, but luckily the fighting is way different. Difference being that the fighting is Raging Phoenix is good.

GeneChing
09-27-2010, 09:39 AM
...but I'll concede that Raging Phoenix is a remarkable film. First off, it's high fantasy, like most martial arts movies, so if your trying to look at it from a logical "why don't they have guns?" perspective, you better just stop watching this film genre because it'll only frustrate you.

The choreography is outrageous - very inventive and a lot of great wire work. Unlike many so-called kung fu film fans, I enjoy wire work when it's well done. Wire work is extremely hard and dangerous. It's not a 'cheat' at all. Quite the opposite. But that's another subject. There's this insane blend of Muay Thai, kung fu, hip hop, tricking, parkour and ballroom dancing that actually works for this film - assuming of course you parked your brain outside as soon as you saw the pogo-stilt urban ninja fight (the first fight scene coming in within the first 15 minutes of the film). Like I said, despite it's initial modern feel, this is a fantasy film, so best to park your brain outside and remember where you parked. That being said, the fight choreography was very entertaining and imaginative.

I liked RP's overall aesthetic. The color schemes and background environments were really intriguing, lending more to that element of fantasy. The color schemes with all the overblown beach pastels and textured concrete were engaging.

I was NOT impressed by Jeeja's acting (how many times did she wail "Saniiiiiiiiiiiiiim!" More than Kirk said "Khaaaaaaaaan!" maybe ;)). She also had her bangs covering her face for too much of the film.

Two things would have made this a perfect film for me. #1 Jeeja should have stayed wrapped in cellophane for through to the finale. #2. The perfume should have had psychedelic effects.

Who was that villainess? We want to see more of her.

Long live Meyraiyuth!

Jimbo
09-27-2010, 10:14 AM
The trailer said the villainess is an Asian female bodybuilding champion. I'd like to see her in more films, too. I watched the movie before watching the trailer, though, and at first was not sure if she really was a she, if you know what I mean. I hated thinking that, but it is a Thai movie, after all.

On a side note, was the red-haired co-villain the same guy who played Jeeja's chubby friend in Chocolate, only grown up and slimmed down? Sure looks like him.

I'm looking forward to seeing what movie they can think up next for Jeeja. Like I said, her movies seem better-made than Tony Jaa's (IMO). Be interesting to see if they can outdo Chocolate and RP next time out.

It's been a long time since the MA genre has done that for me, i.e., "what will they come up with next?" There are some people who don't care for the Thai MA films, maybe due to the style, the overall differences (they're not Chinese movies?), etc. But they are the most creative overall at this point. Donnie Yen may still be king of MA cinema for now, but I've been more excited about some of the new Thai stuff to come.

shaolin_allan
09-27-2010, 07:21 PM
I watched Raging Phoenix at the beginning of the movie I was a bit confused and felt the movie's budget was slacking but by the end I actually wanted to see more. I hated it when the guy finally fell inside the cave, and was happy to see the leading villain go down.

I saw that her background is in taekwondo, does anyone know what other styles she's done if any?

shaolin_allan
10-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Hey did anyone notice in the movie Chocolate how at the end when the girl was with her dad, her brother moom or whatever wasn't shown? What'd they do leave him in Thailand? that's messed up.

Jimbo
10-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Hey did anyone notice in the movie Chocolate how at the end when the girl was with her dad, her brother moom or whatever wasn't shown? What'd they do leave him in Thailand? that's messed up.

Yes, I noticed that, but I try not to read too much into it; it is a movie, after all. Maybe they did bring him to Japan, but were having a private father/daughter moment? Or perhaps Moom was finally free to live his life without the "burden" of caring for her when he's so young himself.

GeneChing
10-04-2010, 05:07 PM
See our Raging Phoenix winners (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1044419) thread.

GeneChing
12-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Meet the leader of the Jaguar Gang, London.

Check out Sing Fitness (http://www.singpowerfit.com/index.html).