PDA

View Full Version : Weapon of choice for the big one

MightyB
02-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Ok- check out the post I made for RD and notice how close the world came to total chaos. What would your weapon of choice be if the economy would have collapsed?

Mine would be an AR-7 or the US Survival Rifle. It's a weatherproof collapsible 22 rifle that floats. Lots of rounds, little bit of money.

sanjuro_ronin
02-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Mine, fear me !!

SimonM
02-11-2009, 12:27 PM
I'd have to go with a kit.

.22 calibre rifle,
.9mm semi-automatic pistol (hollow point ammo for preference)
spear,
machette

That would likely cover most contingencies.

sanjuro_ronin
02-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Toothpick
Glass of water
Stick of butter.

SimonM
02-11-2009, 12:38 PM
lol, touche!

Baqualin
02-11-2009, 12:40 PM
couple hundred pounds of gold
pump shotgun
my groundhog rifle
water
knife

SimonM
02-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Gold is heavy and worthless.
Water is abundant and easy to purify with a couple hours worth of woodcraft lessons.

Minimum survival gear:

1 durable metal pot
1 heavy sleeping bag
1 heavy parka
1 pair of durable boots
1 hoodie
1 under-shirt
1 pair underwear
2 pairs socks
1 small tent
Fishing line, fishing hooks
Wire
Rope
1 ka-bar knife or simmilar
1 machette
1 spear (can be constructed in the field)
1 rifle / shotgun
1 pistol
ammo for firearms
A couple thousand waterproofed matches, it would be wise to learn how to build and operate a firebow
A supply of water purification tablets, it would be wise to learn how to clean water for consumption without tablets
1 compass
maps of the region you intend to occupy
Packs / belts / harnesses to hold above

If you are operating with a small group or if you still can carry more than this on your person other valuable tools include saws, hammers, nails, extra tent spikes, extra boots, fishing poles, dehydrated foods, particularly carbohydrates (eg: rice), books with information on edible flora in the region.

If a vehicle is brought with you the best choices are mountain bikes and canoes as they are light weight, portable and require no fuel other than human power.

Lucas
02-11-2009, 03:57 PM
well, seeing as how ill probably be asleep when the **** hits the fan, ill have to go with what i already own.

mossberg shotgun - $300
.357 - $600
katana - $300
machete - $10
quality folding knife - $50
kungfu - $$$$$
wits - Free
clothes - $$$$

Staying alive after the apocolypse - priceless

David Jamieson
02-11-2009, 05:04 PM
dog poop in a bag
a lighter
a doorbell

taai gihk yahn
02-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Toothpick
Glass of water
Stick of butter.
you've just been sick about MaGiver being cancelled, haven't you...

Lucas
02-11-2009, 05:14 PM

its MACGYVER !!!!:mad:

:p j/k im not really that into it. anymore, not since i chopped of the mullet :eek:

sanjuro_ronin
02-12-2009, 06:48 AM

Having been inspired by MacGuyver, I once changed the rotation of the earth with nothing but a Ball point pen, a wet diaper and some aloe vera.
:D

MightyB
02-12-2009, 07:18 AM
Mac G was cool, but his inventions were no match for the A-Teams ingenuity.

SimonM
02-12-2009, 10:37 AM
The trick is remembering that you should be able to put together a comprehensive kit with nothing more than what you can carry on your back, on your belt and in your hands.

And, yeah, weaps are not cheap. But if you are going into the bush you will want them for hunting.

sanjuro_ronin
02-12-2009, 10:44 AM
The trick is remembering that you should be able to put together a comprehensive kit with nothing more than what you can carry on your back, on your belt and in your hands.

And, yeah, weaps are not cheap. But if you are going into the bush you will want them for hunting.

He said Bush !!!
:D

xcakid
02-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Blackhawk vest and holster rig

AR15
-10 full 30rd mag
-2 full beta mags
-100 rds back up

Glock 17
-6 full 17rd mag
-50rds back up

Benelli M4 shot gun w/ 100rds 00buc shells

CRKT AR15 knife
Machete
Small Axe

That about does it for weaponry.

And yes I have put all this gear together and tried to lug in around with a backpack of food an clothing enough for 3days. There is a course that a tactical shooting school offers (Tiger Valley) that teaches you what should be in your bug out bag and shooting with all this gear. As well as hiking for 5mi or so with all this gear and shooting along the way.

I'm kinda nutty survalist :)

golden arhat
02-12-2009, 02:07 PM
something that either fires standard nato rounds or 7.62

probably an ak 47 or a variant on that, preferrably the russian aks74u, the most useful weapon when the world collapses is the most reliable one

so yeah an AK of some kind, and a machete.

GreenCloudCLF
02-12-2009, 02:13 PM
I'd have to go with a kit.

.22 calibre rifle,
.9mm semi-automatic pistol (hollow point ammo for preference)
spear,
machette

That would likely cover most contingencies.

Ammo should be a mix of ball ammo and hollow points, alternated in the magazine. Never know when you have to shoot through something you would prefer ball ammo for (ie. windshield)

Shaolinlueb
02-12-2009, 02:15 PM
all i need are my fists, some chewing gun, dental floss, and a coat hanger.

oh and crowbar.

macguver the f*cking zombie apocalypse.

MightyB
02-12-2009, 02:33 PM
The real extreme survival nuts advocate some type of a flintlock musket. The reason being is that you can manufacture your own powder and lead balls or shot. I thought- hey, get a shotgun- but then you'd still need primers- which may not always be available. That's why they say flintlock- no primer needed. This is for the extreme "Cormac McCarthy- The Road" type of wasteland where nothing's left and everything that can be scavenged has been scavenged... twice.

Mas Judt
02-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Who needs all that crap when you can fire balls of flaming Qi from your fingertips?

Water Dragon
02-12-2009, 04:14 PM
What would your weapon of choice be if the economy would have collapsed?

Chuck Norris.

Reverend Tap
02-13-2009, 12:34 AM
Chuck Norris.

Nah, Technoviking all the way.

Lucas
02-13-2009, 01:37 AM
Nah, Technoviking all the way.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t234/AcidKaTT/technoviking.jpg

Du kalte ?

SimonM
02-13-2009, 08:07 AM
The real extreme survival nuts advocate some type of a flintlock musket. The reason being is that you can manufacture your own powder and lead balls or shot. I thought- hey, get a shotgun- but then you'd still need primers- which may not always be available. That's why they say flintlock- no primer needed. This is for the extreme "Cormac McCarthy- The Road" type of wasteland where nothing's left and everything that can be scavenged has been scavenged... twice.

Flintlock weapons are undependable and don't work in the rain.

If it came right down to it I'd go for a big saw, a good axe and a spoke shave, make myself a good old D-Segment longbow.

Learning how to make arrows would be a pain but, hey, it requires less tech than casting shot so if we are dealing with a collapse big and permanent enough that getting ammo would become problematic it's going to be better than relying on a flintlock.

SimonM
02-13-2009, 08:53 AM
Breaking my rule on double posting this once because I want to bump the thread for the question I'm asking this time. Don't worry, it won't become a habit. ;)

Ok, so you have all your gear assembled, be it modern or archaic, so here's the next question:

Where do you go? I'd head north and west, get up on the great Canadian shield. Lots of rocky land, defensible positions are readily available. Also lots of (relatively) clean water and a host of fish, rabbits, deer, moose, turtles and wild edible plants.

Main problem: not good ground for the growth of cereals so finding the necessary carbohydrates might be problematic.

Secondary problem: lots of macro-predators. Bears, wolves, coyotes all present in north-western Ontario. The wolves and the coyotes are not much of a problem but living in Bear country requires a bit of consciousness of food storage and waste disposal.

mickey
02-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Greetings,

In addition to some of the aforementioned, I would seriously stock up on "adult" necessities, such as prophylactics, prosthetics, batteries, etc., because they would become incredibly negotiable instruments; very much the same way cookies and cigarettes are in jail.

mickey

Baqualin
02-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Water is abundant and easy to purify with a couple hours worth of woodcraft lessons.

Minimum survival gear:

1 durable metal pot
1 heavy sleeping bag
1 heavy parka
1 pair of durable boots
1 hoodie
1 under-shirt
1 pair underwear
2 pairs socks
1 small tent
Fishing line, fishing hooks
Wire
Rope
1 ka-bar knife or simmilar
1 machette
1 spear (can be constructed in the field)
1 rifle / shotgun
1 pistol
ammo for firearms
A couple thousand waterproofed matches, it would be wise to learn how to build and operate a firebow
A supply of water purification tablets, it would be wise to learn how to clean water for consumption without tablets
1 compass
maps of the region you intend to occupy
Packs / belts / harnesses to hold above

If you are operating with a small group or if you still can carry more than this on your person other valuable tools include saws, hammers, nails, extra tent spikes, extra boots, fishing poles, dehydrated foods, particularly carbohydrates (eg: rice), books with information on edible flora in the region.

If a vehicle is brought with you the best choices are mountain bikes and canoes as they are light weight, portable and require no fuel other than human power.

Are you camping or surviving.:)

Baqualin
02-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Breaking my rule on double posting this once because I want to bump the thread for the question I'm asking this time. Don't worry, it won't become a habit. ;)

Ok, so you have all your gear assembled, be it modern or archaic, so here's the next question:

Where do you go? I'd head north and west, get up on the great Canadian shield. Lots of rocky land, defensible positions are readily available. Also lots of (relatively) clean water and a host of fish, rabbits, deer, moose, turtles and wild edible plants.

Main problem: not good ground for the growth of cereals so finding the necessary carbohydrates might be problematic.

Secondary problem: lots of macro-predators. Bears, wolves, coyotes all present in north-western Ontario. The wolves and the coyotes are not much of a problem but living in Bear country requires a bit of consciousness of food storage and waste disposal.

I'll stay right here in Kentucky...all of the above with caves and good soil to boot.

SimonM
02-13-2009, 12:47 PM
I don't take firearms camping.

But, honestly, setting up a basic survival situation isn't much different than camping until you decide to produce a more permanent shelter.

Baqualin
02-13-2009, 01:28 PM
I don't take firearms camping.

But, honestly, setting up a basic survival situation isn't much different than camping until you decide to produce a more permanent shelter.

Just poking fun at you.....I agree.....we have a Tom Brown scout teaching survival workshops at our school...it's pretty eye opening.
BQ

SimonM
02-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Honestly there is a matter of degrees here.

When you camp you can screw up, you can bring a car-load of gear, you can pack in beers and hot dogs and you can bring clothes for the weather for the next week.

Survival is about being prepared to live by your wits and the resources you can scrounge for considerably longer.

Shaolinlueb
02-13-2009, 01:38 PM
serious reply?

spark stones so i can start fire. little cooking pot,

couple bottes of water or metal canteens,

trench knife, handgun with a couple clips and lots of extra ammo, sawed off shotgun

cans of dog food or other canned food.

hammock to hang high/ skeeping bag

my dog.

Baqualin
02-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Honestly there is a matter of degrees here.

When you camp you can screw up, you can bring a car-load of gear, you can pack in beers and hot dogs and you can bring clothes for the weather for the next week.

Survival is about being prepared to live by your wits and the resources you can scrounge for considerably longer.

As the guy from into the wild found out.....or should I say, found out to late.

SimonM
02-13-2009, 02:11 PM
That poor bugger made big mistakes vis food.

Honestly winter is a problem... but I'd be likely to try and stock up on fish. It can be salted, smoked and stored a bit safer than venison or moose.

And, yeah, all autumn you need to be working on building up a stock of preserved foods for the winter because it's going to be hard to come by in the winter.

Setting snares is a good way to supplement the winter diet, small animals like rabbits and squirrels are good for a meal or two so the meat is unlikely to spoil and some are partially active in the winter.

Reverend Tap
02-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Weapons:
Several sturdy knives
Machete (probably two)
Shotgun with a good amount of ammo, both shot and slugs (exclusively for emergency use)
Longbow and arrows
Bo staff (doubles as a walking stick, a lever, extra space to hang things, and a hunting spear with a knife tied on)

Other equipment:
Sturdy backpack (probably a backpacker's pack)
Cold/wet weather clothes (as well as several sets of regular clothes)
My huge steel-toe logger's boots
Two or three small pots and hobo tools
Several magnesium blocks for starting fires
Mummy bag
Tarp (maybe two)
Sewing/patching kit
Lots of rope (preferably artificial fiber)
Water purifier pump AND tablets (I would stick to the Colorado mountains, and giardia is a big problem here)
Cleaning kit and replacement parts for shotgun
Several large canteens
First-aid kit
Lots of rags (they're just useful)
Topographical maps of the area and compass
Hand-crank radio
Shake-charge flashlight (or two)
Several MRE's (primarily for emergencies)
TP!!!
Trenching tool
Hatchet (could be in with weapons, but I'd bring it more as a tool)
Condoms and cigarettes (for trade)

And, as I've not had any formal survival training, as many military field manuals as I can get my hands on. Oh, and my back issues of KFM, of course. ;)

Most all of this stuff I either already have or could easily acquire. I would, of course, bring my wife along with me, and she would need her own gear (though we wouldn't both need to carry everything I listed).

SimonM
02-13-2009, 02:24 PM
A small group is better for survival than a lone individual. Let's face it, we're pack animals.

Well... troupe animals... just like the other great apes, and most of the monkeys.

If you have say... 4 people... with some basic woodcraft and the right tools and if you make permanent shelter a priority you'll find your survival chances expand exponentially.

Baqualin
02-13-2009, 02:58 PM
A small group is better for survival than a lone individual. Let's face it, we're pack animals.

Well... troupe animals... just like the other great apes, and most of the monkeys.

If you have say... 4 people... with some basic woodcraft and the right tools and if you make permanent shelter a priority you'll find your survival chances expand exponentially.

Agree...anymore than that it gets to political.

SimonM
02-13-2009, 03:02 PM
4 is a good group for low-scale subsistence living.

And you have enough people for a game of Mahjang.

RD'S Alias - 1A
02-13-2009, 04:45 PM
I have a wholesale account at this military surplus warehouse

www.foxoutdoor.com

Feel free to search the site and then PM me for prices on your items.

RD'S Alias - 1A
02-15-2009, 07:13 AM
Weapons:
Several sturdy knives
Machete (probably two)
Shotgun with a good amount of ammo, both shot and slugs (exclusively for emergency use)
Longbow and arrows
Bo staff (doubles as a walking stick, a lever, extra space to hang things, and a hunting spear with a knife tied on)

Other equipment:
Sturdy backpack (probably a backpacker's pack)
Cold/wet weather clothes (as well as several sets of regular clothes)
My huge steel-toe logger's boots
Two or three small pots and hobo tools
Several magnesium blocks for starting fires
Mummy bag
Tarp (maybe two)
Sewing/patching kit
Lots of rope (preferably artificial fiber)
Water purifier pump AND tablets (I would stick to the Colorado mountains, and giardia is a big problem here)
Cleaning kit and replacement parts for shotgun
Several large canteens
First-aid kit
Lots of rags (they're just useful)
Topographical maps of the area and compass
Hand-crank radio
Shake-charge flashlight (or two)
Several MRE's (primarily for emergencies)
TP!!!
Trenching tool
Hatchet (could be in with weapons, but I'd bring it more as a tool)
Condoms and cigarettes (for trade)

And, as I've not had any formal survival training, as many military field manuals as I can get my hands on. Oh, and my back issues of KFM, of course. ;)

Most all of this stuff I either already have or could easily acquire. I would, of course, bring my wife along with me, and she would need her own gear (though we wouldn't both need to carry everything I listed).

Reply]
You will also need a pack mule to carry all that stuff. You have at east a 100 lbs pack there. You should not carry much more than a 40 lbs pack, unless you have been seriously training to do so (like the military does).

There is actually a body weight to pack weight ratio, but I don't remember what it is.

If an incident actually happened where society was destroyed, I would just grab my back pack. With a bit of additional hunting, trapping and foraging skills I could live on the wilderness forever.

I carry a couple changes of cloths, a small back packable kitchen & bath set that I made myself, canteen, a small fire making kit with several fire making tools (fire steels, magnesium blocks etc...), a packable over the camp fire grill, a first aid kit Compas, Long Bow and arrows and Ka Bar.

The only luxury item I have is this

http://www.coldsteel.com/spshovel.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIlceAZBRdA

golden arhat
02-15-2009, 10:57 AM
has anyone considered that the ultimate tool for surviving in the wild or when society collapses isnt a weapon, but in fact a hunting falcon. theyve been used for centuries as skilled and efficient hunters, why do all the work when they can, if you cna avoid people and have one of those surely you could survive for the lifespan of the bird (20 years???)

TenTigers
02-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Just poking fun at you.....I agree.....we have a Tom Brown scout teaching survival workshops at our school...it's pretty eye opening.
BQ
Tom Brown is da'Man! I have always been inspired by his teachings. Check out his Field Guide to Wilderness Survival

for those of you who aren't familiar wit Tom Brown Jr., he was the man that inspired the movie,"The Hunted" and Tommy Lee Jone's character is modled after him. I believe he was also the consultant for that film, along with Sayoc Kali GuroTom Keir.

GreenCloudCLF
02-15-2009, 06:23 PM
It all depends on how the end is coming.
If zombies, me t and a handful of people I know I can control fortify ourselves in a building I know really well (such as where I work) and we base out of there. Before i get there, I get there I stop someplace to get weapons that are accessible. I would love to have a 9mm Glock, but would have no access to one since leaving MPDC. So ****'s sports would donate shotguns and ammo to the cause. As well as hunting knives, bows and arrows (Cross-bows too if the have them). Then we fortify the facility, with me in the lead of course.

If war/nuclear armeggedon, we go to the woods. Same stop at ****s Sports. Smaller group (possibly just the family.)

TenTigers
02-15-2009, 07:01 PM
9mm doesn't have the stopping power, go for a nice .45 1911 based handgun.
This is what I'm buying with my Lion Dance money...maybe
http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/covert/ultra_covert_II/

golden arhat
02-15-2009, 07:14 PM
stopping power does nothing to zombies as they'l only get back up again

a 22 would have the same effect as a 45 because the only way of ending a zombie is eviscerating it entirely or destroying its brain

which is why a cross bow would be ideal, largely silent, reusable ammunition, and powerful enoug hto breajch the skull

THE ZOMBOPOCALYPSE IS COMING

GreenCloudCLF
02-15-2009, 08:22 PM
stopping power does nothing to zombies as they'l only get back up again

a 22 would have the same effect as a 45 because the only way of ending a zombie is eviscerating it entirely or destroying its brain

which is why a cross bow would be ideal, largely silent, reusable ammunition, and powerful enoug hto breajch the skull

THE ZOMBOPOCALYPSE IS COMING

I was never that good with a rifle, though I may take some for target practice (Think malltop scene from Dawn of the Dead). My aim with a shotgun was always better, but you would have to be closer if using buckshot, which sucks...

Reverend Tap
02-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Reply]
You will also need a pack mule to carry all that stuff. You have at east a 100 lbs pack there. You should not carry much more than a 40 lbs pack, unless you have been seriously training to do so (like the military does).

There is actually a body weight to pack weight ratio, but I don't remember what it is.

If an incident actually happened where society was destroyed, I would just grab my back pack. With a bit of additional hunting, trapping and foraging skills I could live on the wilderness forever.

I carry a couple changes of cloths, a small back packable kitchen & bath set that I made myself, canteen, a small fire making kit with several fire making tools (fire steels, magnesium blocks etc...), a packable over the camp fire grill, a first aid kit Compas, Long Bow and arrows and Ka Bar.

The only luxury item I have is this

http://www.coldsteel.com/spshovel.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIlceAZBRdA

I take it you've never been backpacking. I go up for a couple days periodically with friends and my pack's usually around 100lbs (I weigh about 200); a good external-frame pack and even weight distribution makes it unbelievably easier (this is around or even above treeline, mind you, not easy hiking). The body weight to pack weight ratio you're thinking of is valid, but it only really applies to standard backpacks (like student packs) that don't distribute the weight well across the hips. Also, much of that gear would not need to be doubled for each person and so could be shared among everyone I take with me, thus reducing my load.

So as not to double-post: if you're talking about a zombie apocalypse, according to Max Brooks the best possible thing to carry is available right on MAM (http://www.martialartsmart.net/45-84cs.html).

Kansuke
02-15-2009, 10:41 PM

1 Troy Ounce = $942.50

GreenCloudCLF
02-16-2009, 06:01 AM
1 Troy Ounce = $942.50

Worthless when everything breaks downs. Only things that are useful will have value, food, shelter, clothing, ammo. When the zombies come, give me the guns and ammo, you have the gold and we will see who lives longer.

uki
02-16-2009, 06:30 AM
lets see now, my grab and go is something like this...

my wits
a walking stick
knowledge of edible plants
knowledge of medical plants
my compound bow(for silenced hunting/protection)
a banshee for utility work and close quarters melee
a few blank books to keep notes(history needs atleast one perspective)
a few feathers and knowledge of making coprinus ink(incase i dont' have pens or pencils)
my 100+ year old hand woven(sioux i believe) buffalo wool blanket
3 colorful juggle balls(entertainment will be a welcomed relief to the hardships)
a ball of twine
two wool sweaters
a small magnifying glass
a few small bags of seeds... and my hand made leather backpack to carry it all.

not to mention the clothes on my back, the shoes on my feet, and the wool hat on my head. :D

TenTigers
02-16-2009, 08:12 AM
lets see now, my grab and go is something like this...

my wits

ah, see? You're dead in the water before ya even started.

:p:D

RD'S Alias - 1A
02-16-2009, 08:44 AM
I take it you've never been backpacking. I go up for a couple days periodically with friends and my pack's usually around 100lbs (I weigh about 200); a good external-frame pack and even weight distribution makes it unbelievably easier (this is around or even above treeline, mind you, not easy hiking). The body weight to pack weight ratio you're thinking of is valid, but it only really applies to standard backpacks (like student packs) that don't distribute the weight well across the hips. Also, much of that gear would not need to be doubled for each person and so could be shared among everyone I take with me, thus reducing my load.

So as not to double-post: if you're talking about a zombie apocalypse, according to Max Brooks the best possible thing to carry is available right on MAM (http://www.martialartsmart.net/45-84cs.html).

Reply]
100 pounds? no wonder you can only make it a few days. I have a nice light pack with only the essentials. I can hike the country, back and forth indefinitely if I so desire. Heck, I am working on developing some foraging skills that should make it so I could live out of my pack forever.

I have been doing fully loaded camping trips, that include 6 hours of hiking a day, for 2 weeks, with my pack, since I was in my mid 20's

When my daughter was young, we were going for 2 weeks in the middle of August every year, plus weekend trips every other weekend. We allways carried fully loaded packs with completely redundant gear for everyone. This is in case something happens and one of us gets separated. Doing it this way prevents the lost person from suddenly discovering that a needed piece of gear is in someone else's pack.

RD'S Alias - 1A
02-16-2009, 08:47 AM
1 Troy Ounce = $942.50

Reply]
Last November it was only about $700.00 this means it actually rises in value, when everything else is falling. :)

Kansuke
02-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Worthless when everything breaks downs. .

Welcome to earth. Enjoy your stay.

RD'S Alias - 1A
02-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Worthless when everything breaks downs. Only things that are useful will have value, food, shelter, clothing, ammo. When the zombies come, give me the guns and ammo, you have the gold and we will see who lives longer.

Reply]
But spending all your resources on guns and ammo are useless if things don't totally go apocalyptic. Gold will preserve your wealth, and even make you wealth if you know how to trade it.

The chances of us having a complete "Blast back to the stone age" type of collapse is pretty slim.

Baqualin
02-16-2009, 09:40 AM
Reply]
But spending all your resources on guns and ammo are useless if things don't totally go apocalyptic. Gold will preserve your wealth, and even make you wealth if you know how to trade it.

The chances of us having a complete "Blast back to the stone age" type of collapse is pretty slim.

Thank You.....that's why I listed the couple hundred pounds of gold......wasn't planning to pack it around with me.....figured I could bury it and use it as needed.....regular currency will be worthless in these kind of situations.
BQ

RD'S Alias - 1A
02-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Here is a great thread to read from someone who lived through Argentina's collapse. They have already had what we are going into.

http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=49;t=000074;p=0

http://www.ferfal.blogspot.com/

Baqualin
02-16-2009, 10:15 AM
Here is a great thread to read from someone who lived through Argentina's collapse. They have already had what we are going into.

http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=49;t=000074;p=0

http://www.ferfal.blogspot.com/

Great links....makes you stop and think.
BQ

GreenCloudCLF
02-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Reply]

Only value will be land in this time. And I will take yours with my arsenal. You can be my slave if you want.

GreenCloudCLF
02-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Welcome to earth. Enjoy your stay.

Are you the official liason to people from other planets? If my race were a hostile one I may disintegrate you for only posting a partial quote, therefore changing the context of my comment.

Reverend Tap
02-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Reply]
100 pounds? no wonder you can only make it a few days. I have a nice light pack with only the essentials. I can hike the country, back and forth indefinitely if I so desire. Heck, I am working on developing some foraging skills that should make it so I could live out of my pack forever.

I only go up for a few days because after that I gotta come back home and get back to work. :rolleyes: Cabbies don't get vacation time.

Anyway, much of the weight on my trips is the water, which I carry in abundance as I don't have a purification pump at present and don't want to rely on my emergency tablets for non-emergency purposes. I don't know what the water's like where you are, but giardia is friggin' everywhere here. I don't carry tremendous quantities of gear.

There's honestly rather few items on my list that contribute significant weight, unless you're thinking of larger/heavier versions of some items than I am (or higher quantities). If I really needed to drop weight, the shotgun/kit and trenching tool are easily the heaviest items there; getting rid of most other items would mean trading a significant utility loss for a negligible pack weight loss, and all things considered in a long-term survival situation I'd rather be prepared for a greater variety of situations than be able to cover slightly more ground in a day, which I could always do in a pinch by caching non-immediately-essential gear.

GreenCloudCLF
02-16-2009, 02:39 PM
I only go up for a few days because after that I gotta come back home and get back to work. :rolleyes: Cabbies don't get vacation time.

Anyway, much of the weight on my trips is the water, which I carry in abundance as I don't have a purification pump at present and don't want to rely on my emergency tablets for non-emergency purposes. I don't know what the water's like where you are, but giardia is friggin' everywhere here. I don't carry tremendous quantities of gear.

There's honestly rather few items on my list that contribute significant weight, unless you're thinking of larger/heavier versions of some items than I am (or higher quantities). If I really needed to drop weight, the shotgun/kit and trenching tool are easily the heaviest items there; getting rid of most other items would mean trading a significant utility loss for a negligible pack weight loss, and all things considered in a long-term survival situation I'd rather be prepared for a greater variety of situations than be able to cover slightly more ground in a day, which I could always do in a pinch by caching non-immediately-essential gear.

This is why I have 3 kids. They haul the gear.

uki
02-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Only value will be land in this time. And I will take yours with my arsenal. You can be my slave if you want.i will truly be on the look out for you and your ilk... the less of those who carry your mentality, the better off mankind will be. :)

GreenCloudCLF
02-16-2009, 02:45 PM
i will truly be on the look out for you and your ilk... the less of those who carry your mentality, the better off mankind will be. :)

By the time you see me it will be too late.

Reverend Tap
02-16-2009, 03:10 PM
This is why I have 3 kids. They haul the gear.

Heh. I honestly don't mind it; even with my heavy pack, I can keep pace with the other folks (worked in the mountains for a while, so I'm more used to having a pack than most), and it makes my legs stronger.

Everything is training. :D

uki
02-16-2009, 04:11 PM
By the time you see me it will be too late.yeah you're probably right, someone else will probably take you out first. :p

Sifu Darkfist
02-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Mp5 sd
hk mark elite
stick with what you know

Baqualin
02-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Tom Brown is da'Man! I have always been inspired by his teachings. Check out his Field Guide to Wilderness Survival

for those of you who aren't familiar wit Tom Brown Jr., he was the man that inspired the movie,"The Hunted" and Tommy Lee Jone's character is modled after him. I believe he was also the consultant for that film, along with Sayoc Kali GuroTom Keir.

Got it...awesome book.....he was a consultant for the film......we have 5 or 6 of our higher ranks that attend his school on a regular basis....the one teaching the workshops here, reached the scout level a few years back and is doing a tremendous job teaching the course....I'm pretty comfortable making fire with the bow now....he's taking us through the whole program....shelter building, making fire, finding food, tracking, making snares. Basically if you have a decent knife you can do pretty well out there.....at least survive.
BQ

SimonM
02-18-2009, 06:42 AM

Bingo.

Whether zombies or just a conventional breakdown in social order gold only has value because people believe it does.

When survival is an issue soft shiny metal is worthless...

Except for making tools that don't need to be particularly hard...

And even then Gold is so bloody heavy and much scarser than say... aluminum.

Oh, and Greencloud, if the Zombies come don't be one of those rubes who stays in the cities with the massive population density. Get out to the country. Fewer people equals fewer zombies.

GreenCloudCLF
02-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Bingo.

Whether zombies or just a conventional breakdown in social order gold only has value because people believe it does.

When survival is an issue soft shiny metal is worthless...

Except for making tools that don't need to be particularly hard...

And even then Gold is so bloody heavy and much scarser than say... aluminum.

Oh, and Greencloud, if the Zombies come don't be one of those rubes who stays in the cities with the massive population density. Get out to the country. Fewer people equals fewer zombies.

The zombies will pool whereever people are, I would rather be in a fortified building than the woods.

Reverend Tap
02-18-2009, 10:06 PM
The zombies will pool whereever people are, I would rather be in a fortified building than the woods.

You're going to need access to supplies in the long term. Foraging in a city filled with the undead night after night is an almost certain way to get bitten eventually. Take a small group into the wilderness with what you can carry, stay quiet and turn away people who find you; that way, you'll rarely encounter any zombies and those you do can be easily dispatched (especially if you dig a deep trench around your encampment).

The 10 basic rules for surviving a zombie outbreak:
1. Organize before they rise!
2. They feel no fear, why should you?
3. Use your head: cut off theirs.
4. Blades don’t need reloading.
5. Ideal protection = tight clothes, short hair.
6. Get up the staircase, then destroy it.
7. Get out of the car, get onto the bike.
8. Keep moving, keep low, keep quiet, keep alert!
9. No place is safe, only safer.
10. The zombie may be gone, but the threat lives on.

...I think I might have spent rather too much time thinking about this. :p

golden arhat
02-19-2009, 04:00 AM
the best place to be in the event of a zombie outbreak is

a) a nuclear submarine

b) northern canada/the arctice (zombies cant keep themselves warm and thus freeze it doesnt cause them to die though and they'l thaw out in spring)

c) the jungle, the heat and humidity will cause their already rotting bodies to disolve very quickly

plus you can tell where zombies are in the jungle due to the lack of wildlife in your area and the tree's disguise your movements to the zombie because there is alot more going on in the background.

alas most people dont get those luxuries
so the best idea is to barricade your house
get serious amounts of food stocked
when it happens, get upstairs and demolish yoru stairs (zombies lack the coordination to climb)
and keep f@cking quiet till you see an opening to move into a less densley populated area

GreenCloudCLF
02-19-2009, 07:51 AM
the best place to be in the event of a zombie outbreak is

a) a nuclear submarine

b) northern canada/the arctice (zombies cant keep themselves warm and thus freeze it doesnt cause them to die though and they'l thaw out in spring)

c) the jungle, the heat and humidity will cause their already rotting bodies to disolve very quickly

plus you can tell where zombies are in the jungle due to the lack of wildlife in your area and the tree's disguise your movements to the zombie because there is alot more going on in the background.

alas most people dont get those luxuries
so the best idea is to barricade your house
get serious amounts of food stocked
when it happens, get upstairs and demolish yoru stairs (zombies lack the coordination to climb)
and keep f@cking quiet till you see an opening to move into a less densley populated area

In Land of the Dead zombies learned to work guns and other devices that they used while they were alive. What if the zombies can climb?

SimonM
02-19-2009, 08:41 AM
You're going to need access to supplies in the long term. Foraging in a city filled with the undead night after night is an almost certain way to get bitten eventually. Take a small group into the wilderness with what you can carry, stay quiet and turn away people who find you; that way, you'll rarely encounter any zombies and those you do can be easily dispatched (especially if you dig a deep trench around your encampment).

The 10 basic rules for surviving a zombie outbreak:
1. Organize before they rise!
2. They feel no fear, why should you?
3. Use your head: cut off theirs.
4. Blades don’t need reloading.
5. Ideal protection = tight clothes, short hair.
6. Get up the staircase, then destroy it.
7. Get out of the car, get onto the bike.
8. Keep moving, keep low, keep quiet, keep alert!
9. No place is safe, only safer.
10. The zombie may be gone, but the threat lives on.

...I think I might have spent rather too much time thinking about this. :p

You cribbed that shamelessly from the Zombie Survival Guide. :p

That being said, yeah, deep woods, build a shelter with a closable hatch in the roof, put a trench around it, put punji spikes in the trench, machette and shotgun are your friends. And machette's big brother, Guandao is your bestest buddy.

Reverend Tap
02-19-2009, 12:39 PM
You cribbed that shamelessly from the Zombie Survival Guide. :p

He|l yeah I did. That book is awesome. :D

SimonM
02-19-2009, 12:41 PM
So is World War Z