PDA

View Full Version : I think Iron Palm Sucks!

AdrianK
02-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Personally, I hate the method of Iron Palm, where one stands in front of an unmoving bag.

I find it incredibly unrealistic.

Yes, I understand that people say it is a training 'tool'.

I do not like the idea of teaching/training where you say "oh, you don't actually fight like this, but this will help you to do (BLANK)."

Do things like you'd actually use them. Other arts and sports do. Kung-Fu people should as well.

:p

David Jamieson
02-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Personally, I hate the method of Iron Palm, where one stands in front of an unmoving bag.

I find it incredibly unrealistic.

Yes, I understand that people say it is a training 'tool'.

I do not like the idea of teaching/training where you say "oh, you don't actually fight like this, but this will help you to do (BLANK)."

Do things like you'd actually use them. Other arts and sports do. Kung-Fu people should as well.

:p

do you lift weight to gain strength? do any sort of resistance training at all? do you run to increase cardio vascular endurance? do you do plyometrics to increase explosive ability?

iron palm is attribute development. pure and simple. it is a simple method with a good result.

don't be hating on the IP, it's as good a method as any other.

Vajramusti
02-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Wing chun has its own bag work-it is far from the only thing in training.
A boxer's bag has it's place ina boxer's training. It's far from the only thing in their training.
Different strokes for different folks.

joy chaudhuri

punchdrunk
02-11-2009, 05:22 PM
great topic!! Starting to show the relativity of training methods in a new light hah hah! Next will be I think doing forms sux, or the horse stance sux... really anything over done sux tho. Good point.

AdrianK
02-11-2009, 07:45 PM
do you lift weight to gain strength? do any sort of resistance training at all? do you run to increase cardio vascular endurance? do you do plyometrics to increase explosive ability?

iron palm is attribute development. pure and simple. it is a simple method with a good result.

don't be hating on the IP, it's as good a method as any other.

The thread was a joke :) A joke which seems to have spawned quite a few more...

Lama Pai Sifu
02-12-2009, 06:20 AM
The thread was a joke :) A joke which seems to have spawned quite a few more...

Oh, I'm glad you posted that. I thought you were just being 'Douchey', but now I know you are just trying to be funny, with a side of douche.
:):):)

AdrianK
02-12-2009, 05:47 PM
*Trying* to be funny? Pssh. Look at all the joke threads that followed, I inspired an army :p

On a serious note, though. Why exactly is one *required* to do 100, 300 days or multiple years of iron palm?

Assuming its attribute training, why isn't iron palm a part of every-day training??? Its not like boxers will hit the bag for 100 days, and then never do it again. Or only do it once every 5 years, or some other such ridiculousness.

So, what are everyones thoughts on time requirements on iron palm, instead of it being as normal a training routine as bagwork or running?

TenTigers
02-12-2009, 10:07 PM
in many styles, it is..or at least was a part of the general training. Then, over the years, for the same reason TCMA began being demilitarized, it became an obscure, specialized skill, along with dim-yuet,cum-na, noi-gung,etc.

bawang
02-13-2009, 12:31 AM
iron sand bag is the best thing that happened to my kung fu learnings its so friggin easy and fast

David Jamieson
02-13-2009, 06:49 AM
*Trying* to be funny? Pssh. Look at all the joke threads that followed, I inspired an army :p

On a serious note, though. Why exactly is one *required* to do 100, 300 days or multiple years of iron palm?

Assuming its attribute training, why isn't iron palm a part of every-day training??? Its not like boxers will hit the bag for 100 days, and then never do it again. Or only do it once every 5 years, or some other such ridiculousness.

So, what are everyones thoughts on time requirements on iron palm, instead of it being as normal a training routine as bagwork or running?

it is an everyday thing. the requirements as outlined showing 100 days etc, are to get to the point where you can now maintain the attribute. you don't just stop forever once you get to that point.

sanjuro_ronin
02-13-2009, 07:02 AM

Ip is a great add-on for anyone that has the time to do it.
It is, typically a 2 year program, the 100 days thing being the "beginning" part of it.
After that, you can do it everyday, or a few times a week.
Don't forget that, in the first two years it is every day 2X a day.

I don't have the commitet don't do t.

sanjuro_ronin
02-13-2009, 07:21 AM
Think of IP as advanced tool "forging", if you don't need it, don't do it.
If you feel you need it, great.
If you just wanna do it for curiosity sakes, great too.
If you feel it is a intricate part of MA, cool.

bawang
02-13-2009, 08:32 AM
iron palm is not advanced forging its ,superior forging

sanjuro_ronin
02-13-2009, 08:46 AM
iron palm is not advanced forging its ,superior forging

Which IP method do you follow?

bawang
02-13-2009, 08:53 AM
what do u mean what method? i just did what my teacher told me i buy some copper bbs from canadian tire , buy some jean fabric make a double layer bag put copper bb inside bag, sew the bag closed then i hit it

sanjuro_ronin
02-13-2009, 09:00 AM
what do u mean what method? i just did what my teacher told me i buy some copper bbs from canadian tire , buy some jean fabric make a double layer bag put copper bb inside bag, sew the bag closed then i hit it

That's it?
I don't normaly as but what is your IP lineage?
Just curiosity on my part.

bawang
02-13-2009, 09:05 AM
i have no IP lineage and tai chi lineage i learned from a guy in the local ymca hes called john then i met some random people in a giant park then i met this cool guy in university of toronto calle david before i ran out of money. i never learned complete forms only 10 techniques from yang and chen taihji i do them hundreds time a day for 5 years. i never asked lineage i think its gay. do u have a problem with that
i also learn bawang elbow skill and most of my conditioning from yang zhou culture center in jiangsu and in my hometown funing, back then i didnt even ask what style i was learning i didnt care

sanjuro_ronin
02-13-2009, 09:25 AM
i have no IP lineage and tai chi lineage i learned from a guy in the local ymca hes called john then i met some random people in a giant park then i met this cool guy in university of toronto calle david before i ran out of money. i never learned complete forms only 10 techniques from yang and chen taihji i do them hundreds time a day for 5 years. i never asked lineage i think its gay. do u have a problem with that
i also learn bawang elbow skill and most of my conditioning from yang zhou culture center in jiangsu and in my hometown funing, back then i didnt even ask what style i was learning i didnt care

If you don't have a problem with it, why should I?
But, if you would like more info on IP, I would suggest you get in touch with people like Dale Dugas and a few others here, if for nothing else to get an idea of ther ways of doing IP.

bawang
02-13-2009, 09:28 AM
i have learned the hard way because at first i tried to slap and punch a concrete slab and my hand had severe bruising and nerve damage cuz it woudltn stop shaking and i have permanent crippled index finger, i only do soft slaps on the iron sand bag, i do full force on sandbags in gym and i have leopard bone paste from china and dit da oil from chinatown
while i respect dale dogles and i like to know about other pepos stlyes, i dont usually take actual training advice from the internets from strangers

David Jamieson
02-13-2009, 09:49 AM
well you do have the option of meeting some of us. :)

I'm open to meeting and sharing with others. Been doing it for years.

just sayin...

bawang
02-13-2009, 09:54 AM
i wud love to train wit anyone from ontario because there i cant find anyone that do kung fu in guelph, i havent seen another kung uf guy for 2 years and i have no connections

anyone who wanna train togethar exchange training tips send me mesage, do not be scare im not crazy psycho

Dale Dugas
02-13-2009, 12:11 PM
i have learned the hard way because at first i tried to slap and punch a concrete slab and my hand had severe bruising and nerve damage cuz it woudltn stop shaking and i have permanent crippled index finger, i only do soft slaps on the iron sand bag, i do full force on sandbags in gym and i have leopard bone paste from china and dit da oil from chinatown
while i respect dale dogles and i like to know about other pepos stlyes, i dont usually take actual training advice from the internets from strangers

so rather than take advice from people who know how to train and how to help you along, you would usually ignore that and cause permanent injury to yourself instead?

wow.

bawang
02-13-2009, 03:04 PM
so rather than take advice from people who know how to train and how to help you along, you would usually ignore that and cause permanent injury to yourself instead?

wow.

yes

i dont get it sanjuro , what do u mean by "thats it", what do u do to the bag other than hitting it??

Dale Dugas
02-14-2009, 04:54 AM
I was going to help you, but it seems you know a better method.

Good luck with that and all the damage you do.

bawang
02-14-2009, 10:18 AM
i was talking about 5 6 years ago in junior high, i learn new things man
why ur such a negative nancy

taai gihk yahn
02-14-2009, 10:20 AM
I was going to help you, but it seems you know a better method.

Good luck with that and all the damage you do.

with all due respect Dale, he never asked...

sanjuro_ronin
02-17-2009, 07:04 AM
yes

i dont get it sanjuro , what do u mean by "thats it", what do u do to the bag other than hitting it??

Well, there is HOW you hit it, there is what you do before, during, inbetween and after hitting it.
There is what you put on your hands, there is the medium of the bag.
In some cases there is even the height and shape of the bag.
There is also the number of repetitions.
To say that Iron hand training is just fill some bag with stuff and hit it, is not only incorrect, it can be harmful.
Just be careful.