PDA

View Full Version : iron head?

Pk_StyLeZ
02-12-2009, 05:57 PM
does anyone know where to purchase those iron metal bars that those shaolin monk use to break over the head for performances?
can you find them in hardware store?
what do i exactlly ask for or how do i find them?
anyone knows?

GreenCloudCLF
02-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Real Iron head would not care what type of metal you use. You should be able to brak I-beams over your dome.

LFJ
02-12-2009, 07:54 PM
i have only ever seen them in dengfeng.

that is, ones precisely for that purpose.

in the states you may have to go to a shop and request them to make it. they may be interested in the project if you explain it to them.

the bars are made of pig iron, with all the impurities, making it more brittle. you'll have to test them. heat the metal to different temperatures and then quench them at different times- faster or slower, from red hot, white hot, etc. until you find the right combination to where it is able to break, but not too easy for any knucklehead to slap it over their knee.

have fun.

:cool:

Pk_StyLeZ
02-12-2009, 09:46 PM
i have only ever seen them in dengfeng.

that is, ones precisely for that purpose.

in the states you may have to go to a shop and request them to make it. they may be interested in the project if you explain it to them.

the bars are made of pig iron, with all the impurities, making it more brittle. you'll have to test them. heat the metal to different temperatures and then quench them at different times- faster or slower, from red hot, white hot, etc. until you find the right combination to where it is able to break, but not too easy for any knucklehead to slap it over their knee.

have fun.

:cool:

Thanks... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UsI-DKfB7k
but according to that video..thsoe bars can be puirchased at any hardware store..so i was kind of wondering....i tried before to go look...but i had no idea where to start...HOME DEPOT is huge...

Pk_StyLeZ
02-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Real Iron head would not care what type of metal you use. You should be able to brak I-beams over your dome.

Thanks for the input..but no where in my post did i state anything about me having REAL iron head

sha0lin1
02-13-2009, 07:19 AM
Hey PK,

The monks have them. Last year we picked some up from the monks in Tn. Everyone got some and I don't think that they have all broken them by now.

David Jamieson
02-13-2009, 09:21 AM
they are made from slag, not even "pig iron".

it's a super brittle dross left over from making steel.

looks like it's sturdy, but it is as brittle as crackers.

maybe a little more, but not much.

all those things are tricks and parlour games.

there are ways to increase bone density and tissue thickness, but these displays are for the most part pure nonsense.

richard sloan
02-13-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm not sure I get that video.

?

Shaolinlueb
02-13-2009, 01:15 PM
true iron head practioner here (http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2006-11-11-brazil-bullets_x.htm)

DeHui702
02-13-2009, 05:10 PM
I've got a few of them. They're not supposed to be pig iron or slag as two posters said.

They're the type of metal similar to what is used to make files. It's very stiff, case hardened lo-carbon steel. Make no mistake that if your timing is off you will hurt yourself and it will leave some gnarly marks.

I'm sure around shaolin village the metal qualities vary from slag to pig iron to case hardened steel but the same can be said for any chinese product. Just make sure whatever kind you get, you inspect it for burrs and sharp edges.

Pk_StyLeZ
02-14-2009, 01:15 AM
ok my topic post here is not to discuss that it isnt soppose to be pig iron or brittle or wutever or hard the metal should be and etc
i know what it is...i seen it before...i touched it before...i seen them break before

i just need to know WHERE to get it from...if its available in the states
i want the exact same kind the "monks" uses for performances!

i am not saying they dont have iron head and they use ez to break metal for performances only..i am not saying they suck..i am not saying they do have iron head either...i am not saying it is a trick or it isnt....i know the truth anyways.

all im simply asking for is...where can i get those metal bars at?

sha0lin1....i know the monks have them....thats pretty obvious...but i dont think they will give me one.....espcially when i dont even train with them anymore......

GreenCloudCLF
02-14-2009, 09:32 PM
ok my topic post here is not to discuss that it isnt soppose to be pig iron or brittle or wutever or hard the metal should be and etc
i know what it is...i seen it before...i touched it before...i seen them break before

i am not saying they dont have iron head and they use ez to break metal for performances only..i am not saying they suck..i am not saying they do have iron head either...i am not saying it is a trick or it isnt....i know the truth anyways.

sha0lin1....i know the monks have them....thats pretty obvious...but i dont think they will give me one.....espcially when i dont even train with them anymore......

How can someone tell you where to get something, when no one can agree what it is?!?!:rolleyes:

Pk_StyLeZ
02-15-2009, 12:04 AM
How can someone tell you where to get something, when no one can agree what it is?!?!:rolleyes:

I stated already, i want the kind the monk uses for performances...which is the pig iron one or slag.

The other people are stating its SOPPOSE to be something else which is A LOT HARDER. but for which i do not care either.

Reading must be hard for some people on the forum.....pay attention to details...just like when you practice kung fu..its the small details that matters...=)

David Jamieson
02-15-2009, 06:52 AM

try a magic shop or a gag store, maybe they have it.
if you get anything out of a hardware store, prepare to be hurt badly. lol

GreenCloudCLF
02-15-2009, 06:58 AM
I stated already, i want the kind the monk uses for performances...which is the pig iron one or slag.

The other people are stating its SOPPOSE to be something else which is A LOT HARDER. but for which i do not care either.

Reading must be hard for some people on the forum.....pay attention to details...just like when you practice kung fu..its the small details that matters...=)

So you are looking to do "tricks" without actually having done any training. Forum members might not be able to read, but you are what give Kung-Fu a bad name....:rolleyes:

richard sloan
02-15-2009, 10:11 AM
my god that fellow has a lot of vids...

DeHui702
02-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Well the whole problem is he's butt sore because no one will say go to the fab shop and ask for 'A36 hot roll and make sure it is stiff enough to break with impact.' Any hot roll is often mistaken for 'pig iron' because the stuff has pits in it. There's a galvanized version which means its coated to cover the pitting.

It's still better to get it from the monks, but whatever.

Pk_StyLeZ
02-15-2009, 10:31 PM
try a magic shop or a gag store, maybe they have it.
if you get anything out of a hardware store, prepare to be hurt badly. lol

according to the guy in the video..he got it from a hardware store..his look really ez to break...so i dont think it will hurt that badly

Pk_StyLeZ
02-15-2009, 10:35 PM
my god that fellow has a lot of vids...

ya he does...hes pretty retarded in his videos too..its funny...i watched some...i wonder who that guy is....

IronWeasel
02-15-2009, 11:48 PM
....i know the truth anyways.

Just keep saying that.

sha0lin1
02-16-2009, 07:54 AM
PK,

Shifu says you can find them here, do a web search. But he also says you should not try it without proper training. You are right, the monks won't sell you any not just because you are no longer training, but because if you seriously injured yourself they would be liable.

GeneChing
02-16-2009, 10:31 AM
I think it was in that recent NG Shaolin doc (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=900617&postcount=60) (some one correct me if I'm wrong) but they were using iron bars that had the characters for Shaolin in relief in the metal. That struck me as very funny and yes, that's my Monday morning attempt at a iron head pun...

For more on Iron Head, check out my article An Iron Head Points to the Moon: Shaolin Wushuguan’s Senior Master, Monk Shi Sugang in our 2005 May/June Shaolin Special (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=590). Sugang didn't mess with iron bars. He was all about granite flagstones.

Pk_StyLeZ
02-16-2009, 07:10 PM
PK,

Shifu says you can find them here, do a web search. But he also says you should not try it without proper training. You are right, the monks won't sell you any not just because you are no longer training, but because if you seriously injured yourself they would be liable.

Lol.....I will no comment on here just because I respect the shaolin monks......I gues I will go to home depot and take a closer look one of these days when I have some free time.....lalalalalalallalalalala

Pk_StyLeZ
02-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Just keep saying that.

I do know the truth......believe me or not......

Pk_StyLeZ
02-16-2009, 07:12 PM
I think it was in that recent NG Shaolin doc (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=900617&postcount=60) (some one correct me if I'm wrong) but they were using iron bars that had the characters for Shaolin in relief in the metal. That struck me as very funny and yes, that's my Monday morning attempt at a iron head pun...

For more on Iron Head, check out my article An Iron Head Points to the Moon: Shaolin Wushuguan’s Senior Master, Monk Shi Sugang in our 2005 May/June Shaolin Special (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=590). Sugang didn't mess with iron bars. He was all about granite flagstones.

Ok...so where do I get the official shaolin iron bar beside in china...is it avaiable in America? Can i order it through your online store?

Pk_StyLeZ
02-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Well the whole problem is he's butt sore because no one will say go to the fab shop and ask for 'A36 hot roll and make sure it is stiff enough to break with impact.' Any hot roll is often mistaken for 'pig iron' because the stuff has pits in it. There's a galvanized version which means its coated to cover the pitting.

THANKS???!!
so i guess this it it?
http://www.amazon.com/Mild-Steel-Rolled-Rectangle-0-125/dp/B000H9KB8K/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&s=industrial&qid=1234837433&sr=1-30

found a better one...80 cent..worth a try
thanks again!

richard sloan
02-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Sugang didn't mess with iron bars. He was all about granite flagstones.

that reminds me of a funny story...we were setting up for a Nat Geo shoot...so a couple of us got sent out to get bricks and some stone slabs. Also, nails.

anyway, we head uptown to a couple of masonry and brick supply shops, the first one we went into, we asked to see their bricks.

so the guy is showing us the different bricks, and he asks how many we need, and when we told him he looked up from his clip board and was like, what do you want a dozen bricks for?

so we told him, and he goes, ah...then you want these, these are the bricks all the karate guys like.

so we were all like, word is born, these are the bricks right here, let's grab these and go.

so when we get back to the Temple now, we put down the bricks and the stone slabs, and over comes Shifu. He looks at the bricks and goes, Ok. These bricks have no chi, no good Fa, put them back to sleep send them go meditate. This is like joke. Go back and tell the gentleman to get better bricks.

It took a devil of an amount of time to convince the salesman we actually wanted better bricks. He definitely didn't get the bit about how some of his bricks had "no chi" lol...

LFJ
02-17-2009, 08:53 AM
THANKS???!!
so i guess this it it?
http://www.amazon.com/Mild-Steel-Rolled-Rectangle-0-125/dp/B000H9KB8K/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&s=industrial&qid=1234837433&sr=1-30

found a better one...80 cent..worth a try
thanks again!

is 12" gonna be enough to snap that over your dome?

LFJ
02-17-2009, 08:55 AM

yeah, theirs say 少林 on them. :cool:

Pk_StyLeZ
02-17-2009, 01:59 PM
is 12" gonna be enough to snap that over your dome?

12 inch is a foot right?
after thinking about it, the monk uses a longer bar huh....
o well im to lz to search to see if they got something longer but not too long
i dont even plan to buy it yet
gonna go to home depot one day when i have time

richard sloan
02-17-2009, 10:37 PM
pk- are you going to buy a football helmet too or just wing it?

Pk_StyLeZ
02-18-2009, 01:24 AM
judging from this video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa_7_RVGZZ4&feature=channel_page
i should get a football helmet huh?
i will put extra padding in the helmet too =)

richard sloan
02-18-2009, 07:48 AM
LOL! That was hilarious, reminds me of an old snowboarding/skate video I used to watch, called whisky. To get into it you either had to throw up from drinking or smash a beer bottle over your head! One poor guy just couldn't get it...they used him for hilarious cut scenes between their other takes, all you heard was a dull tonal booooonnnnnng...I think he finally did get it.

ironhead
03-20-2009, 11:02 AM
PK,

It would be great if Shifu can help us out and give us a clue what they are using and is it availible in the states, what words i put in the web search engine to guide me in the right direction? I train Iron head 3 times a day and have become proficient at breaking wood and concretewith my head or on my head with sledge hammers,bowling balls and Jackhammers:D. I would like to test myself with bars similar to what the Monks are using. Is 36a steel what they use or is it a diffrent grade of steel or metal. On a side note i have tried .125 x 1 x 24 inch 36a and .250 unforutunately it bends and it is not brittle enough.
Thanks any help would be apprciated..

sha0lin1
03-21-2009, 07:35 AM
It would be great if Shifu can help us out and give us a clue what they are using and is it availible in the states, what words i put in the web search engine to guide me in the right direction? I train Iron head 3 times a day and have become proficient at breaking wood and concretewith my head or on my head with sledge hammers,bowling balls and Jackhammers:D. I would like to test myself with bars similar to what the Monks are using. Is 36a steel what they use or is it a diffrent grade of steel or metal. On a side note i have tried .125 x 1 x 24 inch 36a and .250 unforutunately it bends and it is not brittle enough.

Ironhead,

Wow, if you are doing all of that then these would be easy for you. They are pig iron, about 1/4" thick and about 16" long and about 1.5 " wide. These aren't exact measurements I am just giving you my best estimate. I believe if you try a welding shop that sells steel to the public you can tell them what you are looking for and they can order it for you. My master says it is available here, he says look on the internet, but we get ours from Shaolin Temple.

Pk_StyLeZ
03-21-2009, 05:56 PM

is the closest i found on the internet
never got the chance to buy any yet..but if u do..post some feedbacks on it!

GeneChing
02-18-2014, 04:10 PM
...but it's friggin bad ass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSOJZeyFLc8

LFJ
02-18-2014, 11:48 PM
Saw that on the subway tv some time ago. What's also impressive is that his head doesn't even turn purple. :o:mad::(:)

But yeah, from a martial arts training standpoint these things, like most things they do at Shaolin, are a colossal waste of time. They spend years learning to break bricks with their hands, have no fear to take any sort of strike from a stick, push spears on their throats, break metal bars on their heads, etc. yet when they have sanda competitions they still get knocked out. Where does it all go? :p