PDA

View Full Version : Why I don't post video

Mr Punch
02-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Incidentally, I want to post some vids, because I have some stuff to show some people I sometimes train with who live back home in the UK, so I will do at some point. It will not be da real full contact live stuff, however, unfortunately.

But just to recap, cos it seems necessary in an environment where everything's challenged (and I don't just mean as in 'intellectually challenged' :D ) here are some reasons why I don't post any video, or specifically full contact or real sparring videos.

YMMV

1) I don't care for legitimization from strangers, and arm chair/keyboard warriors. I know from experience that some of my stuff works in real situations, I know some of it doesn't, and I know that the stuff that worked may not work in a slightly different environment or on another occasion and vice versa. In general I know what a high percentage technique is.

I know these things from real situations working security, street and bar situations, and from full contact MMA sparring (no competition, but sparring where we've sometimes been told to go for the works). I did not have vid cameras or opportunities to vid any of these things. They still happened.

2) I don't have time. I have a very busy life with constant part-time freelance work when I get home from my day job, a wife to spend time with and a little girl to raise. I don't get to train as often as I like or used to, and when I train I train with similarly busy people, none of whom care to take time off their training to film the others!

3) Many of my partners have no interest in being filmed or posted on the net. In fact most of them have no interest in the net MA debates at all. A couple of them have super secret lines, which I think is largely daft, but of course I still respect their wishes... and we all seem capable enough of working out what is high/low percentage, although we do have arguments about it at times.

This goes for my teachers too. My MMA coach had a competitive school and didn't want cameras in unless it was for his website. He is around on youtube btw, demoing a tech with Kid Yamamoto, and in various pro fights, but he still wasn't into random shooting.

4) I no longer practice much full contact. I'd like to do a little more, but for reasons stated in 2 it doesn't often happen. It doesn't really bother me: the lack of liveness in my training will result in a slight deterioration of my skills, but I know what I can do, and I can't afford the injury or damage to my beautiful face as I get older and with the job I have.

That's about it. I may think of more, but that's about it for now. Why do I feel the need to post this? While I appreciate it's value, sometimes this 'Post video proof' meme to be somewhat annoying, and in itself, it never invalidates an argument straight out. This is basically a written medium (however much that changes thru more and more youtube-like phenomena) and what you say, if you can make a clear point, should be nearly as important, and certainly shouldn't lose you any respect.

There you go. Just another opinion.

TenTigers
02-12-2009, 10:01 PM
in other words, you have a life? ;)

Mr Punch
02-13-2009, 06:59 AM
;) I wouldn't go that far.

Oso
02-13-2009, 07:02 AM
dude, i know it's hard to face sometimes but it's ok if you just don't look good on video...really, it's hard to look as good as I do but millions of people have the same problem. :)

sanjuro_ronin
02-13-2009, 07:04 AM
Actually, even if you go a a gym reguarlly, outside of doing a demo, most people won't allow you to video them fighting and post it on some internet forum.
Certainly they won't be receptive of you doing that if you are "kicking their ass" , which is what deep down, people wanna see.

m1k3
02-13-2009, 07:15 AM
I don't post video because the only contact sparring I do is rolling in my BJJ class. If you want to see what that looks like go to any BJJ school and watch the rolling there. After training at several schools you realize it all looks pretty much the same.

Btw, I am the big, old, intermediate white belt at the school. All schools have at least one although I am probably older than most you will see (55). :p

sanjuro_ronin
02-13-2009, 07:17 AM
Also there is the issue of WHO you are sparring with and how good they are.
Truly, if you are posting a clip to show something in a "practical" way, outside of a video of a real fight or a limited rules competition, whatever you may post is "irrelevant".
I much prefer to see skill demos or attributes demos.
Fighting is, typically, subjective.
Skills aren't.

I don't have to see you lift 300lbs in a powerlifitng contest, you can show it at a gym or at home.

David Jamieson
02-13-2009, 07:45 AM
i don't have a problem with posting videos.
If I wanna show someone something, I'll do it, have done it and will likely do it again.

Thankfully I'm a good looking guy who knows what he's doing. :)

What I won't do is entertain people on demand.

Exadon
02-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Thankfully I'm a good looking guy who knows .
and modest! ;) (jk)

I like the original post he makes a lot of good points. The primary purpose of a forum is to share ideas via text.

I think one major problem with the Internet in general is many people forget how to carry them selves in a respectful matter. You can disagree with someone’s point of view without making them look like a fool.

Lucas
02-13-2009, 12:17 PM
and modest! ;) (jk)

I like the original post he makes a lot of good points. The primary purpose of a forum is to share ideas via text.

I think one major problem with the Internet in general is many people forget how to carry them selves in a respectful matter. You can disagree with someone’s point of view without making them look like a fool.

ive always found that peoples true colors present themselves when there are in an atmosphere where they will never have to come face to face with anyone to back up their claims/validations/etc..

people who are cordial on an internet forum, likely carry themselves so in their daily life as well.

some people have a differing internet persona than what they show people in real life. which frankly, i find amusing, and odd.

like popeye said: "i am what i am, hakakakakak"

:D

TenTigers
02-13-2009, 12:44 PM
I'll say it again,

"bottom line is, any of us can certainly comment on anything we choose to, whether or not someone on this forum believes some sort of video proof is required,
based on what?-their say-so? Who are They? Their opinion means nothing.
Because when it comes down to it, I really don't give a s*** what they think.
They are not an authority. "

why do you allow yourselves to get drawn into their bull****?

Oso
02-13-2009, 04:08 PM

maybe, but it's been a long standing 'rule' that if you make some sort of claim, especially something ridiculous, that you need to back that **** up with pics or vid, preferably vid...not that Mr. Punch has every done that...in any incarnation he's had here

WinterPalm
02-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Work without a vid.

Oso
02-13-2009, 04:14 PM
what?.....

Mr Punch
02-13-2009, 05:07 PM
Oso: I never have true provided vid proof, but then I've never claimed either, or was that what you meant? I have said I've had experience on the street and in bars and on the door. I haven't said anything outrageous or unbelievable about it, and if someone wants a long boring description they're out there too, and they show the following:

1) My street experience has been largely unfinessed scuffles.
2) On balance I've probably 'won' more than I've 'lost', and apart from broken noses, chipped and cracked teeth and a boot in the face with minor scarring I've largely escaped unscathed which is all I give a **** about (much more so than providing proof! :D... though I could post photos of the crack in my front tooth... :rolleyes:). Point being, the 'fights' have been too modest to be anything but real. If I was going to make anything up, I would be ****ing super-bruce-norris-thermonuclear-hulk-man, b!tches.
3) I've rarely learned anything I could apply in 'the next fight', which is why I rarely mention them even in relevant discussions. I've been quite lucky, my motor responses seem quite good: things seemed to slow down for me when it has kicked off for real (on most occasions), and my accuracy hasn't diminished excessively, but even so, adrenaline and the speed of it all unfolding mean I've rarely remembered what actually happened that well (apart from them being years ago). The few things I've learned have all been situational/environmental and about awareness. In sport FC contact sparring I'm the opposite: the adrenaline has always made my hands and feet into clubs and lost everything to the haze! So, I never remember anything useful there either, though I haven't done so badly...!

Actually, the main reason I don't is I'm too friggin beautiful. It leads to armed hate groups and mass-suicide from the 'men' and large-scale divorce and panties in the mail from the wimminz.
OK, now I may need to post vid proof! :D But I'm telling you, it's like Pandora's box!

Mr Punch
02-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Work without a vid.

what?.....He means work as in 'sleight of hand', 'con', 'trick': summary: 'bull****'.

But everyone else had good points on this thread.

Oso
02-13-2009, 05:52 PM
yea, what I meant was you have never needed to provide 'proof'...I've always bought what you said as valid enough...I was just trying to clarify that I wasn't referring specifically to you with what I said about 'no vid=didn't happen'

fwiw, i intend to post vid of me getting my ass handed to me by this 28 year old 170pounder...mostly cuz I think it would be hilarious.:)

Oso
02-13-2009, 05:53 PM
btw, DID someone call you out on something? i guess I'm not sure why this thread?

Mr Punch
02-14-2009, 12:53 AM
Nah, nobody called me out, and if they had've I'd've ignored it as usual! ;)
Just like I said, needs saying sometimes, that's all.

RD'S Alias - 1A
02-14-2009, 07:42 AM
The real reason for not posting videos is that for all the internet crabbing I have seen over the years, when videos DO finally come out, most are highly disappointing and show profound lack of actual skills. This is especially so for the bullshido types.

The videos of the actually talented people are rare, and generally clips of professional fights, or professional fighters whos very profession would preclude suxing. Which really doesn't prove anything out side of the fact that we are looking at a professional.

taai gihk yahn
02-14-2009, 08:03 AM
The real reason for not posting videos is that for all the internet crabbing I have seen over the years, when videos DO finally come out, most are highly disappointing and show profound lack of actual skills. This is especially so for the bullshido types.

The videos of the actually talented people are rare, and generally clips of professional fights, or professional fighters whos very profession would preclude suxing. Which really doesn't prove anything out side of the fact that we are looking at a professional.

well said; it is just as easy to produce a video that is as biased as a text post; and it is just as easy to interpret the content of a vid according to one's own preconceptions as it is to dissect a text post; even vids of "real" fights can be open to significantly varied interpretations

that said, i think posting vids can be useful because they can help illustrate certain things that posting in text would be impossible or take too long; personally, I would like to start posting some vids this summer (which is when I will have time to do so) regarding some of what I do, as a means of generating serious (or not-so-serious :D) discussion of certain ideas / concepts relating to so-called "internal" practice, as an exercise in the degree to which these things can be communicated in a manner other than face-to-face (it may not be possible, that is what I would like to find out);

Eric Olson
02-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Truth is that video rarely tells the truth.

What you see of martial arts in film is typically sped up, shot with a fast shutter , is well lit, uses flattering angles and coreographed for speed.

When you see a fight shot on a video camera it looks slower, more amateurish and less slick...even if we're talking about professionals.

Real violence can sometimes look comical on video compared to the Hollywood fantasy version of it.

Think about the way that other sports are portrayed in movies and what they look like on a TV camera or camcorder.

That being said I think if you're making truth claims about fighting ability then the onus is on you to provide the proof and video is the most definitive way to do that.

However, before people get all critical about it they should think about my earlier points...and also be willing to show proof that they can do better.

EO

TenTigers
02-16-2009, 02:50 PM
I don't post vids because the camera adds ten pounds.

GreenCloudCLF
02-16-2009, 02:53 PM
I don't post vids because the camera adds ten pounds.

That's why I only take pictures with neither pants nor underwear on.

Reverend Tap
02-16-2009, 03:14 PM
I don't post vids because I'm not very good. :o

The most honest reply you'll ever get. ;)

Oso
02-16-2009, 03:47 PM
enh, I still think it's because Mr. P has a feotus growing out the side of his head or something...;)

Oso
02-16-2009, 03:50 PM
I don't post vids because I'm not very good. :o

The most honest reply you'll ever get. ;)

well. seriously, it's not whether you're 'good' or not...if you're not making wild ass claims that you're trying to back up w/' vid and just want to get feed back from a fairly wide range (experience and 'style' wise) then I say just post some stuff and have a thick skin :D