PDA

View Full Version : Work for your Training ?

Wrakage
02-14-2009, 07:19 AM
Hi,

A while ago I posted some thread here where I asked if annybody knew some good martial art schools beceaus I want to deticate myself to it, that one got removed :confused:

I make this one for asking, I read somewhere there excist schools where students can go live and train, while doing jobs for the master for there living.

Does annybody know anny of these schools ?

Thank you and greets.

TenTigers
02-14-2009, 07:37 AM
I believe Wah Lum Kung-Fu Temple still has dormitory facilities, but you still need to pay for tuition. You can live at the school and get a job locally, however.
http://www.wahlum.com/

GreenCloudCLF
02-14-2009, 09:07 AM
Hi,

A while ago I posted some thread here where I asked if annybody knew some good martial art schools beceaus I want to deticate myself to it, that one got removed :confused:

I make this one for asking, I read somewhere there excist schools where students can go live and train, while doing jobs for the master for there living.

Thank you and greets.
If you want you can live with me and my family and I will train you in exchange for babysitting, cooking, and cleaning.

TenTigers
02-14-2009, 09:09 AM
if you are young,female,Chinese, and cute, you can live at my school, and I will "train" you.

ahh, I can see it now..the next Woody Allen...

taai gihk yahn
02-14-2009, 09:33 AM
If you want you can live with me and my family and I will train you in exchange for babysitting, cooking, and cleaning.

if he wants to live with my family, he will receive daily beatings, verbal abuse and slight regard in exchange for following my cat around with a plastic bag, cleaning the grouting behind my toilet and moving my barbells from the basement to the attic; after 10 years, I will allow him to notice my kung-fu DVD collection

David Jamieson
02-14-2009, 10:55 AM
if you are young,female,Chinese, and cute, you can live at my school, and I will "train" you.

ahh, I can see it now..the next Woody Allen...

woody allen and kodak film are alike because...?

:p

David Jamieson
02-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Hi,

Thank you and greets.

What have you done so far to prepare for that?

Eddie
02-14-2009, 06:41 PM
I was thinking about this yesterday.
I think there might even be a market for this type of thing in the US.

An MMA type camp like they have in thailand.

If people wanna learn san shou - they can come to china, if you wanna learn Muay Thai, you can go to Thailand... if you want to learn MMA, I think the best place would be to go to America. Sure ... Brazilians and all their BJJ and that, but America is where it all comes together at.

In Chinese you can get a BA degree for Wushu (and San shou) at places like Wuhan Tiyuan or Beijing Tiyuan, wouldnt it be nice to offer such a service to Americans?

GreenCloudCLF
02-14-2009, 07:03 PM
if he wants to live with my family, he will receive daily beatings, verbal abuse and slight regard in exchange for following my cat around with a plastic bag, cleaning the grouting behind my toilet and moving my barbells from the basement to the attic; after 10 years, I will allow him to notice my kung-fu DVD collection

Just make sure he watches "Master Killer" 100 times so he understands what real training is.

WinterPalm
02-14-2009, 08:34 PM
I was thinking about this yesterday.
I think there might even be a market for this type of thing in the US.

An MMA type camp like they have in thailand.

If people wanna learn san shou - they can come to china, if you wanna learn Muay Thai, you can go to Thailand... if you want to learn MMA, I think the best place would be to go to America. Sure ... Brazilians and all their BJJ and that, but America is where it all comes together at.

In Chinese you can get a BA degree for Wushu (and San shou) at places like Wuhan Tiyuan or Beijing Tiyuan, wouldnt it be nice to offer such a service to Americans?

Matt Hughes has something like that. It's actually very, very cheap from what I've heard. Even though I don't like the guy (at least from his TV image) I would go do a month...probably learn a lot of great stuff.

TenTigers
02-14-2009, 09:05 PM
they both come in ....oh, g'head David, YOU say it.

Eddie
02-14-2009, 10:14 PM
I dont know Matt Hughes. Im not very familiar with the MMA scene, but I do think that it could actually work very well.

How do you feel about the idea of certification after such a course? Like at Wuhan Tiyuan you can do a 4 years batchelors degree in Wushu (taulu or san shou). The course is mostly physical, but covers pretty much everything you need to know in terms of rules, history, development and theory, strategy and even some basic management.

If I had money I'd invest in somehting like that where the student can even do some physical training courses and whatever else at a live - in MMA type gym. Sport and fitness is big business all over the world today.

Another thing about live in schools though - it would appear to me that the students dont last that long. What I mean is, take shaolin for example, some students who join any of those schools around Shaolin, might only be interested in wushu for a few years, where after they completely lose it all. Maybe they train so hard for a few years that they completely lose interest in Wushu.

bawang
02-15-2009, 10:16 AM
what is the benefit joining a school full time?? why dont people just train a lot by themselve?

golden arhat
02-15-2009, 11:40 AM
what is the benefit joining a school full time?? why dont people just train a lot by themselve?

people lack discipline, i lack discipline, i find training in a class to be much more rewarding and not easier but easier mentally.

GreenCloudCLF
02-15-2009, 06:09 PM

Doesn't someone have to teach:confused:

bawang
02-15-2009, 07:55 PM
golden ahat and grencloud, i dont mean not join school, i mean join school full time and living there like thread maker was talki about

why dont you just practice the things u learn from your kung fu class by yourself after class for 6 hours instead learning full time doing exactly same thing but paying more moneys and clean your sifu toilet after he eat bad wontons and whne he gets drunk he yell at you or touch you in bad place

GreenCloudCLF
02-15-2009, 08:18 PM
golden ahat and grencloud, i dont mean not join school, i mean join school full time and living there like thread maker was talki about

why dont you just practice the things u learn from your kung fu class by yourself after class for 6 hours instead learning full time doing exactly same thing but paying more moneys and clean your sifu toilet after he eat bad wontons and whne he gets drunk he yell at you or touch you in bad place

Only by living with a teacher can you master the true inner secrets (:rolleyes:) Also, if I learn something in class on day one, then go and practice for 6 hours a day, for 2 days (assuming going to class twice or three times a week). So I get to practice my technique for 12 hours, go back to class and find out I have been doing it wrong. Great, now I have to unlearn 12 hours of bad habits. If I lived with my teacher that would not be a problem.

bawang
02-15-2009, 08:20 PM
first i think 6 hours is for conditioning and basic drills not practicing flower forms
second if you do flower forms if you practice for 6 hours wrong its better than doing noting. how wrong can you get? your foot is turn wrong by 13.4 degree oh no

GreenCloudCLF
02-15-2009, 08:23 PM
if you practice for 6 hours wrong its better than doing nothing

Now it is not. It is harder to unlearn a bad habit than it is to learn something correctly.

bawang
02-15-2009, 08:25 PM
can u give a example its really vague

Eddie
02-15-2009, 08:32 PM
I don’t think its necessary to live in at school, but it is cool. If you can spend 8 hours a day training with other resisting partners who are also interested in getting better, it think its much better than spending 8 hours training at home.

GreenCloudCLF
02-15-2009, 08:33 PM
It could be anything. Learn a kick a certain way, then try to relearn it. When I first learned side kicks, as an example, my first instructor told me to use my heel as the striking surface. Then my next instructor wanted me to use the blade of the foot. Basic technique, basic problem. Not to bad. But then start adding more complicated techniques, throws, clinch work, or even sequence of events for forms (if that is what you are in to). Then try to change the sequence. It takes forever to relearn that. Much easier to learn it the first time right.

bawang
02-15-2009, 08:40 PM
yeah now you say techniques those things is hard to learn or imposible by yourself, wrestling techniques you CANT byself, but there is only so much things you can do with other people man
for me in high school when i had vacation, i spent most of the day lft weight qigong and conditioning, when i telephone friends to spar it only 1 hour to 2 hours.
for me at vacation qigong is 2 hours, weights 1 hours,onditioing 2 hours, iron stick 2 hours, hand techniqe 1 hours, entire day already passed, what can i do with another people?

i trying to say i thinks even if you train with other people full time, most of the time you probably doing conditioning which you are doing really by yourself(my own opinian)

i think if i have chance to train full time in a school in wudang or hua mountain helllllllllllll yeah but america? cmon man come on

GreenCloudCLF
02-15-2009, 08:47 PM
i think if i have chance to train full time in wudang or hua mountain helllllllllllll yeah but america? cmon man come on

What kind of ignorant bs is that? Are you saying there is noone whos martial skill is good enough in the US to want to live and train with?

bawang
02-15-2009, 08:51 PM
im saying i didnt come to north america to live in stinky small room and be yelled at all day and clean toilet then do some forms, that was not my american/ canadan dream

maybe people who never hungry never cold think thats exotic and want the magical experience

if u work for training u will spent most of your time working and not training

Eddie
02-16-2009, 01:24 AM
Our idea of training appears to be different. I also agree that if you want to learn Chinese Martial Arts, what better place to go to than to come to China to learn. Its not only because of the instruction, but also because of the environment. The whole package.

But in all honesty, MMA is pretty big and pretty well developed in America. Probably more so than in any other place. I see no reason why they cannot have a full time MMA gym somewhere in a cool area of America (say LA - or where ever the cool people hang out), where foreign students can come to learn about American (World) modern martial arts. Of course as any proper MMA gym, the school would offer various styles, even San shou and Muay Thai, I mean it wouldn’t be a proper MMA gym if it didn’t. If my focus was fighting, and I didn’t care much about anything else, I would much rather send my son to train at such a school in North America instead of sending him to Wudang or Shaolin. Its all about what you want from the experience.

You shouldn’t be to hard on the USA. The USA is the hub of the world. So much to offer in terms of modern MA.

The training facilities in China (or even Thailand) isn’t always that great. Many foreign students don’t like it. A well managed camp in USA could prove to be pretty popular amongst foreign students.

Only problem I could see now, would be the USA visa regulations. Its harder to get a visa to go to USA than it is to go to china.

LSWCTN1
02-16-2009, 05:27 AM
Only problem I could see now, would be the USA visa regulations. Its harder to get a visa to go to USA than it is to go to china.

get some sort of government accreditation on the course, like you say China does, and you'll be flying - it could be a student visa then

Australia also has something similar i believe too - the late Jim Fungs' school offers it for sure (or used to anyway)

David Jamieson
02-16-2009, 05:55 AM
im saying i didnt come to north america to live in stinky small room and be yelled at all day and clean toilet then do some forms, that was not my american/ canadan dream

maybe people who never hungry never cold think thats exotic and want the magical experience

if u work for training u will spent most of your time working and not training

lol. awesome...and true.

old shaolin story time. A man goes to the monastery to become a monk and learn kungfu. he gets there, does his wait and finally gets in. he's given a broom and told to sweep the yard. after a year he'[s quite aggravated that he is not learning any kungfu and all he's been doing is cleaning up.

he protests to another monk and states he wants to learn kungfu. the monk says "why didn't you say so" and tells him to go clean the dishes and then he'll show him.

He finishes all the dishes and hurries back to the monk who sends him back to retrieve the dish basin that is still filled with water.

He comes back with the basin filled with water and is told to empty the basin without tipping it over and without scooping it up in his hands or with a cup or bowl.

Eventually, he starts to splash and slap at the water and starts to empty the basin in this way.

day after day he slaps all the water out of all the basins everyday after every meal.

after a year, he's starting to get a little p-oed again and it's time for new years so he travels home to see his family after being absent for two years.

When he arrives at home, his whole family is around him and they all sit at a table and enjoy their new years meal together, after which his mother says to him "show us some of the kungfu you have learned!" all his family says "yes yes show us show us!"

he gets angry and shouts "I haven't learned any kungfu!" and pounds the table with his hand.

The table falls in pieces to the floor.

They all stand quietly starting at him while he stares at his hand.

The end.

bawang
02-16-2009, 09:41 AM
hi eddie,i agre for mma full time training of course i love to train in us with famous peope like randy couturee and cung le, and chinese kung fu i train in emei or wutai in china. those cost money tho and the topic maker wanted to work to train for free. instead of trainer pleasing u , u r trying to please the trainer

condition in china not that good either, but in america you shud train in good conditun, however if u train full time for free the condition u train in probably not so good probably stinky basement in chinatown or something(not all places)

Eddie
02-16-2009, 10:51 PM
ok. I see what you are saying.

Yeah training shouldn be free. if the student want to work, he should go out and find a job to pay for fees. Its 2009, not 1860 anymore