PDA

View Full Version : CMA training

YouKnowWho
02-16-2009, 11:54 PM
Why people in this forum are more interesting in subjects such as "who is real and who is fake"? How can we benefit from each other from this kind of discussion?

When was the last time that we had discussed in this forum such as how to train (or set up) a

- hook punch?
- spin back kick?
- hip throw?
- shoulder lock?

The thread "Throw Training for San Shou" is a good one but that's about it. All the other threads are pretty much like the BullshiDo threads that you attack me and I attack you back.

bawang
02-17-2009, 12:00 AM
we shud talk about how to defecate mma fighters with traditional technique

Lucas
02-17-2009, 12:07 AM
lol bawang.

there are a spattering of good threads out there regarding cma. but often times the thread titles are obscure, or they dont get enough attentions and they go to pages 3,4,5 etc to fast so no one sees them.

but mainly ya, the threads get most attentions are the non cma base ones, and then the good ones are lost in the old pages.

you can get good discussions going if you search through olds threads for the good cma stuff.

Lucas
02-17-2009, 12:11 AM
actually now that i think about it, spin back kick is very powerful.

maybe bawang you can defecate some mma guys with it? hehe

i remember one time my friend enter a karate sparring tournament, and only move he did was spin back kick. he hit his opponent with it over, and over and over. the guy had to give up, but my friend got disqualified.

LOL

YouKnowWho
02-17-2009, 12:12 AM
How to counter

- leg shooting, or
- round house kick,

were all good one. We can learn a lot from each other from those kind of discussion.

I just can't learn anything from discussion such as "Your teacher sucks".

Lucas
02-17-2009, 12:43 AM
How to counter

- leg shooting, or
- round house kick,

were all good one. We can learn a lot from each other from those kind of discussion.

I just can't learn anything from discussion such as "Your teacher sucks".

i feel the same way.

i suppose thats why you dont see the spin back kick very often in mma. very risky. you can dive shoulder roll if you are quick enough to avoid the shoot from behind, if you KNOW its coming, but still risky as you can get caught easily. roundhouse is so fast and quick, not much chance of avoiding if you cannot connect with the spin back kick first. good chance of a heavy sweep or broken leg.

edit:
maybe this is why jump spin back kick is often prefered.

bawang
02-17-2009, 12:48 AM
i dont like spinning back kick.
u turn your back on your eneme, very dangerous thing to do, open u up to many things if ur too slow
for round house i practice block it with elbow and top part of knee

YouKnowWho
02-17-2009, 12:54 AM
In Taiwan a Judo guy would hate his opponent to grab on his Gi and started running behind him. I have never seen any thread even in Judo forum that discuss how to counter this strategy.

Lucas
02-17-2009, 12:58 AM
its one of those techniques to me that seems to be a suicide/sacrafice technique.

only do it if you are certain you can pull it off. like when my friend made that guy cry...

here is a good break down of spin back kick by human weapon. this type of power comes at a cost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Il_ugCoBs

Lucas
02-17-2009, 01:01 AM
In Taiwan a Judo guy would hate his opponent to grab on his Gi and started running behind him. I have never seen any thread even in Judo forum that discuss how to counter this strategy.

im having a problem picturing what you mean.

you mean guy come up behind you, grab your gi and push you forward running?

YouKnowWho
02-17-2009, 01:14 AM
Your opponent is in front of you. he grabs on your Gi (or your arm) and starts running behind you. Here is a clip.

http://johnswang.com/tearing_resist.wmv

Lucas
02-17-2009, 01:20 AM
oh i see.

it seems to me a good option is to, first know whats happening, then use your fee to keep your opponent facing you. i notice he ran to the outside of his lead leg.

just messing arounhd here real fast, it feels in that cenario, like stepping to the right into a side bow'ish. to keep your face to the enemey would/could be helpful.

i think the most important thing is being able to tell quickly what is actually happening.

Lucas
02-17-2009, 01:21 AM
its funny i start judo in 2 weeks for the first time. when i get the first opportunity i am going to ask the sensei what he thinks of that situation. :D

and now im to bed so i can work in the morning. i hope more people post in this thread and not derail it.

this would be a good thread to have continual discussion over many different aspects of martial arts.

please people try to keep this technical and on martial topics as much as possible.

Lucas
02-17-2009, 12:18 PM
oh i see.

it seems to me a good option is to, first know whats happening, then use your fee to keep your opponent facing you. i notice he ran to the outside of his lead leg.

just messing arounhd here real fast, it feels in that cenario, like stepping to the right into a side bow'ish. to keep your face to the enemey would/could be helpful.

i think the most important thing is being able to tell quickly what is actually happening.

stepping back and out in the direction hes running, and pivoting your other foot around and going into clinch seems to me like a good option. provided you can get your angle fast enough not to be taken down.

EarthDragon
02-17-2009, 12:45 PM
I love a quick spinning back kick and have been very succesful at it on 1 condition........ you use it after a set up technique, you cannot just stand a fighting stance with your guard up and spin quick enough to pull it off, however if you strike first and divert thier attention or make them block you can spin into that kick before they have enough reaction time... then it works. PS the only way to be diqualified in a touny is youy do it blindly.. you are not allowed to do a blind spin, you must spin your head first and focus then kick or back fist and it is allowed.

lkfmdc
02-17-2009, 12:47 PM
how to train (or set up) a

- hook punch?

long, medium or short range?
and why would I do a short range hook? :eek:

- spin back kick?

lowe percentage, fairly useless

- hip throw?

learn your pummel, get the body lock

- shoulder lock?

from top position or bottom position?

How to counter

- leg shooting

the hand, the forearm/elbow, the head, the hips but no one will know this route here I bet

- round house kick,

your elbows and knees

sanjuro_ronin
02-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Spinning back kicks are "counter" kicks, or "after" kicks, the one that come when the person is covered up or thinking that a high line attack is coming.
Sure some people can attack with a spinning back, but most will be more successful with it as a counter or as a "finisher".

As for the "grabbing the gi and running behind" thing, go with it.

Lucas
02-17-2009, 02:50 PM
I love a quick spinning back kick and have been very succesful at it on 1 condition........ you use it after a set up technique, you cannot just stand a fighting stance with your guard up and spin quick enough to pull it off, however if you strike first and divert thier attention or make them block you can spin into that kick before they have enough reaction time... then it works. PS the only way to be diqualified in a touny is youy do it blindly.. you are not allowed to do a blind spin, you must spin your head first and focus then kick or back fist and it is allowed.

well my friend was kind of a jerk. it was point sparring competition, but he just wanted to kick the other guys ass. not very sportman like. he wasnt adhering to the rules.

EarthDragon
02-17-2009, 03:09 PM
understood however as I said spinning tech. are in the rules of any tourney esp point sparring. But some tourneys are for kids not fighters. ie I have judged point sparring where thier is full contact. i have also judged no contact tot eh face and light to the body. this is BS but it does promote sportsmanship and great handle and foot control.

notanexit
02-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Why people in this forum are more interesting in subjects such as "who is real and who is fake"? How can we benefit from each other from this kind of discussion?

When was the last time that we had discussed in this forum such as how to train (or set up) a

- hook punch?
- spin back kick?
- hip throw?
- shoulder lock?

The thread "Throw Training for San Shou" is a good one but that's about it. All the other threads are pretty much like the BullshiDo threads that you attack me and I attack you back.
That's why who is real and who is fake is important.CMA was here in the west way before bjj\mma.I don't see any threads in the mma forum titled "how do you beat those kung fu guys".CMA was exposed in the 90's because of a bunch of fake cma teachers teaching garbage.Those "sifus" need to be called out on this forum.I've called out my former teacher on this forum because he misleads people and tries to gain legitmacy by training with legit teachers.CMA needs to be cleaned out and started over.

bawang
02-17-2009, 11:11 PM
people should not cling to style
set yourself free like a big pigeon in the sky

i think most important kung fu techinque is jab cross