PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU know when your good?

EarthDragon
02-17-2009, 12:25 PM
My student asked me the other day when he would know when he's good........my reply was "when you move with instinct"

this is the point I feel in ones MA path that he has got it. When you move with instinct you move faster and freer than you could ever do when thinking. When you react to thier reaction you are always slower, when you can read the Yi you are moving faster. if you dont have to think about your counter and just do it this is true gungfu.
I am always a split second ahead of my attacker and they cant figure out why. I teach the best way to block a punch is to not be there when its thrown...... if you are still using blocks to defend yourself you are wasting time and energy that should be used for the counter.

What do others think about this?

what makes you think that YOU are good?

sanjuro_ronin
02-17-2009, 12:27 PM
I can walk on water.

Oh, I you mean goOd, sorry, missed that extra "O" there.

Kansuke
02-17-2009, 12:53 PM
My student asked me the other day when he would know when he's good........

Folks who compete never have to ask such questions.

MasterKiller
02-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Actually, the longer I train, the less confident I get because I constantly see guys who are younger, better, stronger, faster, and smoother...

I take pride in my small victories - the first time I nabbed someone with a really good fireman's carry, improvising a submission when I'm caught out of position, or slipping against a stronger puncher to setup my own strikes or clinch.

Good, bad. It's all relative to how I'm performing at any particular moment.

Water Dragon
02-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Folks who compete never have to ask such questions.

the h@ll we don't

golden arhat
02-17-2009, 02:22 PM
i move with instinct, if someone punches at me i instictivleyget my guard up, that doesnt make me good that makes me competent.

1bad65
02-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Actually, the longer I train, the less confident I get because I constantly see guys who are younger, better, stronger, faster, and smoother...

This makes some sense.

Training with respected guys and holding your own is also a good indication of skill.

TenTigers
02-17-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm better than I was yesterday.
I will be better still, tomorrow.
That's all there is.

Oso
02-17-2009, 02:52 PM

yea...that's what I'm seeing now too...and this guy I'm rolling with every week is effing way better than I was 13 years ago when I was his age...I'm just happy when I block an attempt of his.

at a certain point it becomes a maintenance issue...and the hope that some sort of wisdom has carried through for you.

EarthDragon
02-17-2009, 03:06 PM
do you think your good when you have won fights, learned more techniques or drilled the basics to death?

meaning whats better ? tougher, wiser, or simpler

xcakid
02-17-2009, 03:46 PM

Ahh....that is so true, so effin true :(

Although I do have a room full of trophies and medals that say that at least someone thinks I am somewhat decent. :cool:

YouKnowWho
02-17-2009, 07:05 PM
what makes you think that YOU are good?
The moment that you understand "safe entering strategy". Feeling safe gives you courage, courage give you commitment, commitment give you speed, speed give you momentum, and momentum can run your opponent down.

Mr Punch
02-17-2009, 07:13 PM
1) Even my back flips are so mean they scare themselves into standing still.
2) When I flip out I kick ninjas, their moms and Chuck Norris in the head.
3) I wake up...
4) I look in the mirror.

:cool:

Oh, and when I got into fights I did OK, when I trained full contact I did OK, and when I meet people for friendly cross-hands from other styles or my own, I do OK. I guess I'm OK. Which is OK. As a very busy bloke who is essentially relegated to training as a hobby and maybe to keep up the skills I've accumulated, I think OK is an OK place to be.

Kansuke
02-17-2009, 09:16 PM
the h@ll we don't

The question was about "good," not "the best."

Water Dragon
02-17-2009, 09:35 PM
I know. But it seems the longer I'm in this game, the more my idea of good changes.

Can I beat up people? Why, sure I can, and I can be pretty darn convincing about it too. Does that make me good? I used to think so, now I'm not so sure.

Yao Sing
02-17-2009, 09:36 PM
How do YOU know when your good?

When someone challenges to see your skills and you confidently reply that you have nothing to prove so therefore you will not be demonstrating what you got or touching hands etc. (of course only the best never show anything) :rolleyes:

Kansuke
02-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Can I beat up people? Why, sure I can. Does that make me good?

Depends on who you can beat up.

Pork Chop
02-18-2009, 06:09 AM
I know. But it seems the longer I'm in this game, the more my idea of good changes.

Can I beat up people? Why, sure I can, and I can be pretty darn convincing about it too. Does that make me good? I used to think so, now I'm not so sure.

I think "good" is completely subjective and very arbitrary.
To a first day student, yeah, we're good.
To a champ in his prime, we're small fry.
To a retired veteran, we're in our glory years (but still not as good as his generation).

Only evaluation I worry about is "am I ready? am I prepared?".
If you're in competition shape & picking up experience, I think that's all that really matters.

Yum Cha
02-19-2009, 03:54 PM
When are you good?

Good implies less good, or more good, and many people measure it against an opponent, this is really superiority.

In a fight, here will always be someone better, more skilled, younger and fitter, meaner, luckier, whatever. Even the heavyweight champion of the world is only temporary. Its a passing measure, or at best a momentary measure of superiority in a vary narrow situation.

For the sake of this narrow rant, call it winning a contest. And good by that measure is just superior to that opponent on the day, under the circumstances. Good fun, perhaps, but not what defines my own martial life.

To me good is a more of a lasting issue. Good at 25 isn't the same as good at 50.

To my mind, the only competitor you have in the long run is yourself.

I'm good when I'm are learning and improving what I learned.
I'm good when I'm teaching and seeing results.
I'm good when I feel I am putting my full effort into my training and training consistently.

And, it goes without saying, that I'm just not quite good enough yet, fair enough.

GreenCloudCLF
02-19-2009, 04:11 PM
I just do.

SPJ
02-19-2009, 07:56 PM
1. if you have enough skills or stuff to deal with whatever you encounter for that particular moment,

you are good or competent enough.

2. agreed that there is always another higher mountain and another deeper pond.
so persuits of a higher ground will be a never ending endeavor.

--

:D

Merryprankster
02-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Because I have the 2007 Pan-Am Gold Medal and the 2008 No Gi light-heavy weight and absolute gold medals, and a host of competition experience against top flight opposition.

But it's not really about that. It's about loving what you do. And if you love it, then "good" doesn't really matter.

Kansuke
02-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Because I have the 2007 Pan-Am Gold Medal and the 2008 No Gi light-heavy weight and absolute gold medals, and a host of competition experience against top flight opposition.

But it's not really about that. It's about loving what you do. And if you love it, then "good" doesn't really matter.

LOL! That's a nice two-fer right there! The first half was more convincing, in my opinion.

bawang
02-20-2009, 09:03 PM
if i just reach out my hand lightly and can kil a man i am good. before i can do that i have bad kung fu.
if no one can ever wrestle me take me down i am good. before i do that i have bad kung fu.
if punches kicks cannot hurt me im good. before that i have bad kung fu.

EarthDragon
02-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Yumcha,
I really liked your response.. its interesting what people think is good. as you can see we are all at different levels of understanding... some say becuse I won a fight others because they won a trophey, while others think they are good no mattter what . LOL

I asked this question becuse my student asked me. I would have perferred to answer him with your train of thinking... thanks agin for a diffrent point of view.

I am not saying i didnt like others views... its just Yum cha made sense to me.. thanks to all

David43515
02-22-2009, 09:59 PM
My definition of good keeps changing as I get older. When I was young I thought it meant I was stronger and faster than the guys I was training with. After a while I thought it meant knowing lots of techniques pretty well. Then It was knowing a few techniques flawlessly. Nowadays it`s more like being able to read the younger stronger faster guys and anticipate most of what they`re doing.

In the long run "good" means not having to fight and going home at night with all my pieces and parts in the same place they were when I left home.

EarthDragon
02-22-2009, 11:13 PM
wisdom is a great thing isnt it? I used to look for a reason to fight now I look for a reason not to.. that only comes with wisdom........ and longer recovery time LOL

Lama Pai Sifu
02-23-2009, 02:47 AM
You don't get 'good'....you just get 'better.'

~Sifu Michael Parrella

(in case any of you suckers wanna quote me!)

Violent Designs
02-23-2009, 02:49 AM
You don't get 'good'....you just get 'better.'

~Sifu Michael Parrella

(in case any of you suckers wanna quote me!)

What he said.

EarthDragon
02-23-2009, 06:40 AM
Great quote, however if i can play the devil here. Good is a level, a stable goal you have reached. You can say I am good. however better is transitory.. if you are better, then you are contantly striving higher, how do you know when your better? well you are always going to be better with practice you are better tomorrow, then today.

But you can be good for years.....

Exadon
02-23-2009, 07:26 AM
You know when you are good, when you type "you're" instead of "your" hehe ;)

(joking of course...as my own spelling blows)

I agree with the above quote, you can always get better. To be "Good" is a relative term. You can be "Good" compared to someone who has never taken Kung-fu , and yet you may never be considered good compared to a Grand Master or Monk.

I think it is better not to judge yourself. Strive to do your best and let your accomplishments on their own