PDA

View Full Version : I hate people who think they have reached the top oif the mountain

Paul T England
02-18-2009, 02:15 AM
Why do so many kung fu people think they know it all. Why do we have so many "Masters".

Taryn P.
02-18-2009, 03:19 AM
Thread: I hate people who think they have reached the top of the mountain
-----------

Those people already *have*..... reached the top of *their* mountain.

Their small mountain.

My mountain has no top..... it is infinite!

Violent Designs
02-18-2009, 05:18 AM
I like lamp.

sanjuro_ronin
02-18-2009, 07:24 AM
I love chair.

Pork Chop
02-18-2009, 08:26 AM
I like turtles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y)

diego
02-18-2009, 11:54 AM
I like turtles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y)

me likey head...er, when I get to the "head" of the mountain I like to run back and start over, builds grace!.

Hardwork108
02-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Why do so many kung fu people think they know it all. Why do we have so many "Masters".

It is worst than you think Paul!

All you have to do is look around here in the Forum and you will see many NONE kung fu people who think that they know it all and act like kung fu "masters"!

CLFNole
02-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Take these forums with a grain of salt, you will enjoy them more.

David Jamieson
02-21-2009, 02:39 PM
****!!! There's a mountain now?

Taryn P.
02-21-2009, 07:54 PM
****!!! There's a mountain now?

Hey, how'd you manage to slip that past the automatic censor?? Spill!

jo
02-21-2009, 08:18 PM
First, there is a mountain.
Then there is no mountain.
Then, there is.

- Lyric & music © Donovan

- jo

Violent Designs
02-22-2009, 02:19 AM
19 .

bawang
02-22-2009, 11:01 AM
hai guys
wot iss a "mountainss"??? :confused:
it good eat?

Hardwork108
02-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Take these forums with a grain of salt, you will enjoy them more.

I am taking these forums with bucket loads of salt, specialy when reading some of the MMA-ists' (with a zillion years of MA experience, apparently) "informed" comments on kung fu.:mad:

Violent Designs
02-22-2009, 04:51 PM
i am taking these forums with bucket loads of salt, specialy when reading some of the mma-ists' (with a zillion years of ma experience, apparently) "informed" comments on kung fu.:mad:

lol .

Hardwork108
02-22-2009, 05:24 PM
lol .

Thank you :)

Lama Pai Sifu
02-23-2009, 02:52 AM
It is worst than you think Paul!

All you have to do is look around here in the Forum and you will see many NONE kung fu people who think that they know it all and act like kung fu "masters"!

Hey...then does that mean if you 'act' like a 'master'....then you 'know it all?'

:)

TenTigers
02-23-2009, 09:13 AM
Hey...then does that mean if you 'act' like a 'master'....then you 'know it all?'

sure! Haven't you used the NLP concepts, modeling? "Act as If." If you want to develop specific characteristics, then you find someone who already posesses those characterietics, and "act as if" you already have them. Pretty soon, you will start to develop them as well.
That is why I dress like Kwai Chang Caine.
I tried dressing like John Holmes, but the kielbasa kept droppping out....

David Jamieson
02-24-2009, 06:57 AM
Hey, how'd you manage to slip that past the automatic censor?? Spill!

Some of the best lessons you learn will be on the voyage of self discovery.

Find out for yourself. If I can do it, so can you, but you have to want to ****ing learn. alright?

**** man.

:p

hskwarrior
02-24-2009, 07:53 AM

Not you too!?!?!?!?! :eek:

I used to do that while wearing really tight shorts..........but it kept dropping out of them while running laps.

Hardwork108
02-24-2009, 10:21 AM

That is what a lot of people who post here would want you to believe. Others believe that their Tae Kwon Do and/or a karate black belt together with Bjj skills will qualify them to make "insightful":rolleyes: criticisms regarding traditional kung fu practice.

Their kung fu qualifications? Usually a "flirt" (in kung fu terms) while in their MMA "enlightenment" journey, with god knows who as their sifu.

Hardwork108
02-24-2009, 10:23 AM

Not you too!?!?!?!?! :eek:

I used to do that while wearing really tight shorts..........but it kept dropping out of them while running laps.

I thought that John Homes' fort only came out when he was not dressed.:D

David Jamieson
02-24-2009, 10:38 AM
That is what a lot of people who post here would want you to believe. Others believe that their Tae Kwon Do and/or a karate black belt together with Bjj skills will qualify them to make "insightful":rolleyes: criticisms regarding traditional kung fu practice.

Their kung fu qualifications? Usually a "flirt" (in kung fu terms) while in their MMA "enlightenment" journey, with god knows who has their sifu.

why would you devalue these other arts?

there is kick, punch, throw and lock and it doesn't matter what style, what system or what country you are learning it from, if you know qualitatively and quantitatively that something doesn't or does work from direct experience, then why is it unfair to make a statement to that effect?

there's a lot in traditional lines of study that is stupid, egotistical and has nothing to do with the actual task at hand. often, a whole school of thought can become quagmired in the inadequacy of traditions which are not revisited and corrected and held to because "that's the way it was always done".

There are far more "mma fighters" out there in the world right now than there are "kungfu men"

this fact lends a lot of credence to mma and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand because it has a few belligerent idiots ranting about it from their armchairs.

there is a ton of value in direct fight training with task specific attribute development.

there is little value in listening to a bunch of cryptic discourse about animals, standing in static postures and mimicking patterns combined with learning cultural rituals that have little if anything to do with practical fighting arts.

just saying, there are a lot of traditional schools that spend too much time on traditions and not enough time on understanding the realities of martial arts.

throwing the baby out with the bath water works both ways.

a wise person will learn more from a fool than vice versa. :)

Hardwork108
02-24-2009, 11:30 AM
why would you devalue these other arts?
I am not necessarily devalueing any other arts. I am devalueing some of their practitioners who make uninformed criticisms of traditional kung fu practice when their own understanding and background regarding TCMA is poor, even if they happen to be experts in Tae Kwon Do.

there is kick, punch, throw and lock and it doesn't matter what style, what system or what country you are learning it from,

Yet a karate punch is different from a kung fu punch, even if to the uninformed observer they may look the same.

There are blocks and there are blocks. Soft and "sensitive"/"listening" blocks are part and parcel of internal and higher level TCMA but you don`t generally see those in Tae Kwon Do and Karate (even if some Okinawan karate styles may touch uppon some facets).

I have even had an intense "discussion" here in the forum with an "evolved" practitoner of "kung fu" who did not appreciate the difference between a typical Shotokan karate block and a "soft"/"sensitiv" kung fu block. I am talking about a guy here who claimed to train "kung fu" (and crosstrain it with god knows what else) and had years of experience.

For him "a block was a block".

Many martial artists who claim to have "kung fu" experience do not comprehend the "sensitivity" and the "listening" aspects of TCMA. How can they when their experiene of TCMA is based on a "flirt" with god knows what with god knows who as their sifu.

if you know qualitatively and quantitatively that something doesn't or does work from direct experience, then why is it unfair to make a statement to that effect?

It is unfair if one makes his critical statement on TCMA based on his Tae Kwon Do knowledge rather than any SOLID kung fu one!

there's a lot in traditional lines of study that is stupid, egotistical and has nothing to do with the actual task at hand. often, a whole school of thought can become quagmired in the inadequacy of traditions which are not revisited and corrected and held to because "that's the way it was always done".

I am sure that there are exceptions but from my personal experience I would say more often then not one will see the why of the "that`s the way it was always done" if one looks carefully enough and has a genuine sifu who knows his art profoundly.

How many people here have had the priviledge to study with such sifu?

There are far more "mma fighters" out there in the world right now than there are "kungfu men"
Well that is the trend and fashion nowadays, or haven't you heard.:p

this fact lends a lot of credence to mma and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand because it has a few belligerent idiots ranting about it from their armchairs.

I do not dismiss MMA-ists. It is more often the case of I dismissing their idiotic comments and criticisms of TCMA practice, when their own experience in them is at best questionable.

On its own the MMA approach is a valid one and I have met MMA practitioners (when I lived in Brasil) who were very respectful of TCMAs.

there is a ton of value in direct fight training with task specific attribute development.
As there is in direct fight training with task specific attribute development in kung fu.

there is little value in listening to a bunch of cryptic discourse about animals, standing in static postures and mimicking patterns combined with learning cultural rituals that have little if anything to do with practical fighting arts.

Here I disagree with your comment (and assumptions). There may be impractical training aspects in some kung fu schools. However, it is not fair to bunch the animal training methodology into the "impractical" section.

I have seen the "light" as far as some of the stuff you mention is concerned. There are internal elements involved together with valid fighting methodology. The reasons some of this stuff have been misunderstood in the past has more to do with the lack of genuine sifus (who are willing to teach profoundly) and the time consuming aspects, then their irrelevance to actual combat.

just saying, there are a lot of traditional schools that spend too much time on traditions and not enough time on understanding the realities of martial arts.
Here you are talking about the bad traditional schools and MacKwoons. Any good traditional school worth its salt will teach you fighting as kung fu has always been a martial art and will always be.

a wise person will learn more from a fool than vice versa. :)

Perhaps the time has come now for the "fools" in this forum to open their minds and to take into consideration comments from people who actually train in traditional kung fu and can in some ways explain to them the stuff that they missed while crosstraining "kung fu" with BJJ, Muay Thai, Judo, Karate, Boxing, greco roman wrestling and Tae Kwon Do.

Surely that is not too much to ask in a forum that is supposedly a KUNG FU one.

David Jamieson
02-24-2009, 11:44 AM
You can't expect a fool to ever be anything more than just that.
When the fool is ready to change, they will and they will no longer be a fool.
They will not necessarily be wise either, but at least, they will have consciously decided not to be foolish and the result is, they will think first before blurting out their folly. :p

there are very few high value kungfu schools in the world. Frankly, I am ok with that. I don't think there should be a sea of martial arts schools. Too much dilution doesn't make for much in the way of specialized knowledge after all.

you gotta learn to let the baby have his bottle and speak to people who want to hear and want to listen. The rest aren't ready yet, or you aren't ready yet as far as anything regarding consistent negative exchanges go.

that stuff has to be let go in order to progress. :)

Kansuke
02-24-2009, 02:36 PM
They will not necessarily be wise either, but at least, they will have consciously decided not to be foolish and the result is, they will think first before blurting out their folly.

It's good that you have goals for yourself.

Violent Designs
02-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Holy **** you guys have a lot of time.

Eddie
02-24-2009, 06:33 PM
One thing must be said about hardwork. At least he (or she) is consistent and passionate about his (or her) beliefs. He doesn’t mind fighting against the whole forum when he thinks he is right.

Perhaps there is hope for him after all.

Hey violent design, happy birthday brother.

Violent Designs
02-24-2009, 06:36 PM
One thing must be said about hardwork. At least he (or she) is consistent and passionate about his (or her) beliefs. He doesn’t mind fighting against the whole forum when he thinks he is right.

Hey violent design, happy birthday brother.

Thanks man. Cheers to the CLF fraternity!

Lokhopkuen
02-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Thread: I hate people who think they have reached the top of the mountain
-----------

Those people already *have*..... reached the top of *their* mountain.

Their small mountain.

My mountain has no top..... it is infinite!

I reached the top of the mountain!!!!

But there was another frickin' mountain behind that one!!:p:p

Lokhopkuen
02-24-2009, 07:47 PM
mountain |ˈmountn|
noun
a large natural elevation of the earth's surface rising abruptly from the surrounding level; a large steep hill : the village is backed by awe-inspiring mountains | we set off down the mountain | [as adj. ] the ice and snow of a mountain peak.
• ( mountains) a region where there are many such features, characterized by remoteness and inaccessibility : they sought refuge in the mountains | [as adj. ] ( mountain) his attempt to picture the mountain folk in ridiculous attire.
• ( a mountain/mountains of) a large pile or quantity of something : a mountain of paperwork.
• [usu. with adj. ] a large surplus stock of a commodity : this farming produced huge food mountains.
PHRASES
make a mountain out of a molehill see molehill .
move mountains 1 achieve spectacular and apparently impossible results. 2 make every possible effort : his fans move mountains to catch as many of his performances as possible.
DERIVATIVES
mountainy |ˈmaʊntni| |ˈmaʊntəni| adjective
ORIGIN Middle English : from Old French montaigne, based on Latin mons, mont- ‘mountain.’

David Jamieson
02-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Why do we have to bring mountains into this? Can't we just hate people? no mountains, just the people...and the hate.

sweet people hatred for everyone everywhere ...

Hardwork108
02-24-2009, 08:58 PM

Thanks Eddie. I also do my best to discuss kung fu when the "forum" lets me.

But is there hope for the forum?:D

Taryn P.
02-25-2009, 12:42 AM
Hey, look, David- I ****ing figured this **** out!

David Jamieson
02-25-2009, 05:55 AM

Awesome!

This relates directly to the learning process in a really odd way, but there you have it! :p

sanjuro_ronin
02-25-2009, 07:22 AM

Oh my, she talks dirty too!
naughty little minx !
:D

sanjuro_ronin
02-25-2009, 07:23 AM
I reached the top of the mountain!!!!

But there was another frickin' mountain behind that one!!:p:p

Oh uh, someone let spill one of the secrets of the MA !!

Ninja strippers from Russia have been sent to deal with you !!

Hardwork108
02-25-2009, 04:57 PM
I am not holding my breath as far as the "fools" in this forum are concerned, because for them to change they need to first realize that they are "fools" every time they make their uninformed criticisms regarding traditional kung fu training.

They will not necessarily be wise either, but at least, they will have consciously decided not to be foolish and the result is, they will think first before blurting out their folly. :p
Again, I am not holding my breath but neither have I given up on them.;)

there are very few high value kungfu schools in the world.
That fact will in part explain the high number "fools" in this forum.

Frankly, I am ok with that. I don't think there should be a sea of martial arts schools. Too much dilution doesn't make for much in the way of specialized knowledge after all.

I agree but I believe that we need a few more good kung fu schools in this planet (and hopefully as a result end up with a few less "fools").

you gotta learn to let the baby have his bottle and speak to people who want to hear and want to listen.

I can not let "fools" spread disinformation about an art(s) that I love. This forum should be used to educate people on the merits of traditional kung fu training. As far as the merits of MMA are concerned I am sure that the "fools" and their followers can find a suitable place on the world wide web.

The rest aren't ready yet, or you aren't ready yet as far as anything regarding consistent negative exchanges go.

I am ready to discuss authentic kung fu training. If others are not "ready" then the problem is theirs and of course there is a eternal question mark on the reasons for their presence in a kung fu forum.

that stuff has to be let go in order to progress. :)

I believe that in any kung fu forum the main point of discussion should be authentic kung fu systems. Any MMA discussions should be limited to boards that are designated for such discussion.

I have lost count on the number of times an authentic kung fu thread has turned into an MMA discussion. Most people here don't seem to have a clue!:mad:

David Jamieson
02-26-2009, 07:34 AM
I am not holding my breath as far as the "fools" in this forum are concerned, because for them to change they need to first realize that they are "fools" every time they make their uninformed criticisms regarding traditional kung fu training. First, only a fool would heed the words of another fool. No disrespect intended. Second, traditional kungfu isn't the only kungfu there is.

Again, I am not holding my breath but neither have I given up on them.;) Just let them go, it's easier on yoru kidneys and liver. :)

In a clear glass of water, there is still a lot of undesirable things.

I agree but I believe that we need a few more good kung fu schools in this planet (and hopefully as a result end up with a few less "fools"). Kungfu is special and should remain so in my opinion. To much broth makes a soup taste thin.

I can not let "fools" spread disinformation about an art(s) that I love. This forum should be used to educate people on the merits of traditional kung fu training. As far as the merits of MMA are concerned I am sure that the "fools" and their followers can find a suitable place on the world wide web. No fool can convincingly spread information that is incorrect in this day and age. And if they do, it's only other fools listening. That much is clear in my view.

I am ready to discuss authentic kung fu training. If others are not "ready" then the problem is theirs and of course there is a eternal question mark on the reasons for their presence in a kung fu forum. First, what constitutes "authentic". There are more than one "bonafides" out there who teach dross and crap. This is absolutely true and I think you would be hard pressed not to admit that. It's not a face game, it's about martial arts.

I believe that in any kung fu forum the main point of discussion should be authentic kung fu systems. Any MMA discussions should be limited to boards that are designated for such discussion. Why can't kungfu include mma practice and competition? It is a form of personal kungfu being developed and is directly related to martial arts development and propagation. I don't take issue with it. Specifically, it is a great comparison point and serves as a fly in the ointment for people to look at their training methods and see where they can be improved.

I have lost count on the number of times an authentic kung fu thread has turned into an MMA discussion. Most people here don't seem to have a clue!:mad: Again, what is "authentic" and if mma is such a threat, why not examine why it is a threat? or how it can be integrated into kungfu practice. It's clear that there are much more well rounded actual fighters participating in mma vs kungfu schools. BUt that is changing over time. There is no single day change that is gonna happen, but I bet there will be more focus on getting kungfu guys into a competitive venue and have them do well. mma offers those venues and the rules are honed don enough that you can fight at as close to a level of street fighting as is possible in a fighting match. More so than boxing alone, wrestling alone or any of the olympic arts in and of themselves. Sure the rules are different than Lei Tai, but they are close and there is also more in the way of Lei Tai matches being revived these days.

It's all good in other words. I can see how you might take offense at having to constantly endure churlish and childish insults from armchair ufc fanbois, but it's you that needs to learn to let go of that. Let go of people who give you things you don't ask for, don't hang onto their anger and don't cultivate your own.

Ultimately, your kungfu is in you and you will find a way to discuss with like minded individuals here or someplace else. :)

sanjuro_ronin
02-26-2009, 07:50 AM
MMA is simply a competitive format with very limited rules and as such, why would anyone have issues in testing their MA skills under those rules?
Makes no sense to me.
Use MMA for what it was intended for and disregard the rest.

Hardwork108
02-26-2009, 08:47 PM
First, only a fool would heed the words of another fool. No disrespect intended.
Don't blame me for trying to help the fools.

Second, traditional kungfu isn't the only kungfu there is.

Well some would argue that if you take away certain aspects of traditional kung fu training then you are not doing kung fu anymore. Some call the end product of certain modifications, Glorified Kickboxing.;)

Just let them go, it's easier on yoru kidneys and liver. :)
You are right about the kidneys. Some of their kung fu "insights" make it difficult for me to hold my water...lol.

Kungfu is special and should remain so in my opinion. To much broth makes a soup taste thin.
As far as I am concerned there are not enough good kung fu schools around. There will never be many fantastic kung fu schools and that is the nature of the beast, but we need a few more to end this idiotic confusion.

No fool can convincingly spread information that is incorrect in this day and age. And if they do, it's only other fools listening. That much is clear in my view.
Only fools and newbies listen. Fools deserve what they get, newbies DON'T!

First, what constitutes "authentic". There are more than one "bonafides" out there who teach dross and crap. This is absolutely true and I think you would be hard pressed not to admit that. It's not a face game, it's about martial arts.

I have always said that there are many highly reputable sifus who don't know cr@p.

Why can't kungfu include mma practice and competition? It is a form of personal kungfu being developed and is directly related to martial arts development and propagation. I don't take issue with it. Specifically, it is a great comparison point and serves as a fly in the ointment for people to look at their training methods and see where they can be improved.

A lot of the improvements will come by looking deeper into ones given style of kung fu and practicing that realistically.

Again, what is "authentic" and if mma is such a threat, why not examine why it is a threat? or how it can be integrated into kungfu practice.

Kung fu already has "MMA" aspects, that is, if kung fu is practiced correctly. The fact is that it is not and hence people "fill in the gaps" by crosstraining in irrelevant arts that take them "away" from authentic kung fu and thus makes them unqualified to make their unisightfull criticisms of TCMA.

It's all good in other words. I can see how you might take offense at having to constantly endure churlish and childish insults from armchair ufc fanbois, but it's you that needs to learn to let go of that. Let go of people who give you things you don't ask for, don't hang onto their anger and don't cultivate your own.

That is good advice and thank you. I have tonned down my responses to the knuckleheads quiet a bit, but I do let off steam once in a while.

What makes me "angry" is the "advice" and criticisms they dish out regarding authentic kung fu in posts that may be read by many newbies who don't know any better. I just like to balance out things by putting across the traditional approach. That is only fair, specially when we are posting in a Kung fu forum.

Ultimately, your kungfu is in you and you will find a way to discuss with like minded individuals here or someplace else. :)

And I do (thank god) nowadays even if at some point in the past I had thought that everyone here had gone crazy or was a kickboxer.

Violent Designs
02-26-2009, 08:50 PM
I like lamp.

Hardwork108
02-26-2009, 08:57 PM
I like lamp.

:confused:

Kansuke
02-26-2009, 10:33 PM
I am not holding my breath as far as the "fools" in this forum are concerned, because for them to change they need to first realize that they are "fools" every time they make their uninformed criticisms regarding traditional kung fu training.

Again, I am not holding my breath but neither have I given up on them.;)

I agree but I believe that we need a few more good kung fu schools in this planet (and hopefully as a result end up with a few less "fools").

I can not let "fools" spread disinformation about an art(s) that I love. This forum should be used to educate people on the merits of traditional kung fu training. As far as the merits of MMA are concerned I am sure that the "fools" and their followers can find a suitable place on the world wide web.

I am ready to discuss authentic kung fu training. If others are not "ready" then the problem is theirs and of course there is a eternal question mark on the reasons for their presence in a kung fu forum.

I believe that in any kung fu forum the main point of discussion should be authentic kung fu systems. Any MMA discussions should be limited to boards that are designated for such discussion.

I have lost count on the number of times an authentic kung fu thread has turned into an MMA discussion. Most people here don't seem to have a clue!:mad:

And the two-year grandmaster passes judgement yet again! :rolleyes:

Violent Designs
02-27-2009, 04:08 AM
I REALLY like lamp.

sanjuro_ronin
02-27-2009, 09:59 AM
I REALLY like lamp.

I like thong:

hskwarrior
02-27-2009, 10:07 AM
http://img4.ifilmpro.com/resize/image/stills/films/resize/istd/2844722.jpg

hskwarrior