PDA

View Full Version : Shoes in the classroom

Tainan Mantis
02-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Do you wear shoes in the kung fu class for some/all of the activities?

If so, I have a question.

Are the students required to buy a pair of 'in school only' shoes?

I mean shoes that are cleaner because they don't walk around on the street.

Right now, we are outdoors so we wear street sneakers. But, soon we will be indoors and I am wondering how to deal with the shoe situation.

The last kung fu school I went to in the states had concrete floors in a screened in gazebo, so we also wore outdoor shoes in that school.

In Taiwan we had an outdoor school and an indoor school.

At the indoor school we either had to have a pair of clean shoes or just go barefoot.

MasterKiller
02-18-2009, 11:50 AM
Do you wear shoes in the kung fu class for some/all of the activities?

If so, I have a question.

Are the students required to buy a pair of 'in school only' shoes?

I mean shoes that are cleaner because they don't walk around on the street.

Right now, we are outdoors so we wear street sneakers. But, soon we will be indoors and I am wondering how to deal with the shoe situation.

The last kung fu school I went to in the states had concrete floors in a screened in gazebo, so we also wore outdoor shoes in that school.

In Taiwan we had an outdoor school and an indoor school.

At the indoor school we either had to have a pair of clean shoes or just go barefoot.

If you wear shoes, and you train on mats, IT IS IMPERATIVE that they use a different set for working out than you wear to come to class to cut down on the possibility of staph and other skin infections.

We go barefoot, but if I was teaching forms in class, I would probably have them wear shoes.

Oso
02-18-2009, 11:52 AM
yes, you can absolutely require a specific set of shoes for the school...we had an incident the other night at the mma class where a guy was wearing some running shoes and tore the **** out of a mat because of the tread.

i never made anyone buy 'new' shoes but they did have to dedicate a pair of shoes for training if they wanted to wear shoes and believe me, the full wrath of de shifu came down if I found dirt tracked in...

not that you need to, but you can also cite sanitation issues with wearing shoes directly in off the streets

Shaolinlueb
02-18-2009, 11:57 AM
no barefoot, indoor shoes.

during winter and bad weather, don't wear thsoe shoes outside.

would prefer if they brought the feiyue's to class.

MasterKiller
02-18-2009, 12:04 PM
during winter and bad weather, don't wear thsoe shoes outside. If you spar on the same mats you work out on, I wouldn't recommend letting them wear outside shoes ever.

MRSA is everywhere, and I trained with a guy at an Army gym that got a severe case because they wore street tennis shoes on the mats. Sure, they mopped them every night, but the next day everyone just gunks them up again with street funk.

Shaolinlueb
02-18-2009, 12:14 PM
If you spar on the same mats you work out on, I wouldn't recommend letting them wear outside shoes ever.

MRSA is everywhere, and I trained with a guy at an Army gym that got a severe case because they wore street tennis shoes on the mats. Sure, they mopped them every night, but the next day everyone just gunks them up again with street funk.

MRSA? I never had a problem with disease or anything on the floors we train with.

if we do "rolling" which is 2 times a year, we take off the shoes and sashes and i clean the mats before and afterwards.

sparring we don't use mats. if we do throws and stuff with the advance, you just take it and hope your partnet doesnt slam you too hard.
i always keep a clean flooring, sweeping it everynight and mopping it once a week.

well it doesnt matter, i closed the school earlier this month. and have yet to spar on the place where i rent space each month.

MasterKiller
02-18-2009, 12:16 PM
MRSA? I never had a problem with disease or anything on the floors we train with. Knock on wood. ;)

if we do "rolling" which is 2 times a year, we take off the shoes and sashes and i clean the mats before and afterwards.

sparring we don't use mats. if we do throws and stuff with the advance, you just take it and hope your partnet doesnt slam you too hard.
i always keep a clean flooring, sweeping it everynight and mopping it once a week.

Mats are essential to help protect your students. I wouldn't run a class without them.

I mop before and after every class.

TaichiMantis
02-18-2009, 12:19 PM
I got plantar's worts from training barefoot at a health club (where our school held classes). Never again! Now always train in Feiyues.

Pork Chop
02-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Always thought it was a good idea for gyms with heavy mat use to have a public pair of crocs near the bathroom (Japanese style) so you didn't have folks walking in there barefooted.

i try to remember to bring my crocs with me when i go to the mma gym for walking off the mats, but i always seem to forget & end up just putting my shoes back on.

SIFU RON
02-18-2009, 12:28 PM
In Kung Fu we always wear shoes, tennis shoes, and our own.

Reverend Tap
02-18-2009, 12:30 PM
My sifu recommends (but doesn't require) everyone buy some lightweight, flexible shoes to train in, and not wear them outside in inclement weather. Dirt will still occasionally get tracked in, but usually not. We work out predominantly on tile, the mats coming out only once in a while. Haven't heard of anyone getting staph thus far.

Hasn't happened while I've been at class yet, but I've heard on occasion during the summer sifu will have the class train at the park instead of the kwoon, and I believe he has people grab their street shoes for that.

Tainan Mantis
02-18-2009, 12:55 PM
yes, you can absolutely require a specific set of shoes for the school...

Very helpful information.

So, now we have a situation with two pairs of shoes per person.

1. Do you have a cubbie hole or someplace for all the people to keep their street shoes in?

2. Do people have a place in the school to leave their school shoes?

In the Taiwan school people just took off their street shoes before walking into the room.
So, it left a big mess of shoes at the door. Doesn't look good. I am searching for ideas on how to make it look good with stacks of raggedy shoes.

Those people who wore clean shoes at the school just left them there, again, it didn't look too good.

Kevin

MasterKiller
02-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Very helpful information.

So, now we have a situation with two pairs of shoes per person.

1. Do you have a cubbie hole or someplace for all the people to keep their street shoes in?

2. Do people have a place in the school to leave their school shoes?

In the Taiwan school people just took off their street shoes before walking into the room.
So, it left a big mess of shoes at the door. Doesn't look good. I am searching for ideas on how to make it look good with stacks of raggedy shoes.

Those people who wore clean shoes at the school just left them there, again, it didn't look too good.

Kevin

It helps if you have an entry way or foyer (sp?) that is separate from the main training area for people to store gear, towels, shoes, etc...

If not, I like the idea of using a shoe cubby.

GeneChing
02-18-2009, 01:22 PM
I talked about the late great Maestro D'Saro and his shoe fetish in Monk Takes Off His Shoe: My Life as a Shaolin Shoe Salesman: A Shaolin Side-Trip (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=527). I used to be very strict about having 'school only' shoes. Then I went to Shaolin, where people wear Feiyues all the time. Most of those students trained in the dirt anyway, so there wasn't so much difference between indoor/in-school and outdoor/not-in-school.

Now I'm rocking Feiyue Hi-tops (http://www.martialartsmart.net/45-35hk34.html) and my pair are strictly for practice.

Exadon
02-18-2009, 01:54 PM
I bought a pair of Feiyues not to long ago and love them...then they came out with hi-tops. Dangit.

Most people in my school wear white Feiyues. I sport the black ones. Next pay check I may get the hightops.

They do not let normal shoes in our school, only Feiyues or other kung-fu shoes.

I never wear my shoes anywhere else but at kung-fu. I don't want to mess up mah shooeeeees

Oso
02-18-2009, 03:54 PM
yea cubbies are cool...can be hand built or purchased...i'm sure tampa has a used office furniture type place where you could find something like that for not a lot of money.

you might even see if there is some sort of school furniture liquidator...gradeschools are cubbie havens

冠木侍
02-18-2009, 04:00 PM
For me, it depended on the school. I used to go barefoot until I got hurt.

Now I have a few pairs of shoes that I rotate throughout the week.

Kansuke
02-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Now I have a few pairs of shoes that I rotate throughout the week.

Doesn't that hurt your feet?

1bad65
02-18-2009, 04:54 PM
If you wear shoes, and you train on mats, IT IS IMPERATIVE that they use a different set for working out than you wear to come to class to cut down on the possibility of staph and other skin infections.

This is completely true.

Taryn P.
02-18-2009, 11:50 PM
I hate training in shoes, but some surfaces don't give you much choice in the matter. I'll train barefoot in mud and on clean cement, but gravel is a no-go.

Last year I broke my toe, and recently a classmate accidentally karate-chopped my foot during his breakfall... these toe injuries, even minor ones, are so troublesome during training and seem to take forever to heal. Frustrating.

Thus I'm trying to transition into being a shoe-wearer. I carry my shoes (used only for MA) around in my bag since I take classes at different locations.

冠木侍
02-19-2009, 12:20 AM
Doesn't that hurt your feet?
Not really as they are all broken in for the most part. It reduces the eventual wear and tear of my martial art footwear. Same thing for my outerwear. Different shoes for different occasions. Saves $$ and makes my investment last longer.

I hate training in shoes, but some surfaces don't give you much choice in the matter. I'll train barefoot in mud and on clean cement, but gravel is a no-go.

Last year I broke my toe, and recently a classmate accidentally karate-chopped my foot during his breakfall... these toe injuries, even minor ones, are so troublesome during training and seem to take forever to heal. Frustrating.

Thus I'm trying to transition into being a shoe-wearer. I carry my shoes (used only for MA) around in my bag since I take classes at different locations.
I've never done the mud thing before. I guess I haven't lived yet...
Gravel eh? And I thought I was tough. ;)

Having a pair or two for MA shoes is helpful just in case. When I used to grapple, I did it barefoot. But for other things, I have the footwear. You get used to it after a while and it becomes part of your uniform. In tournaments, shoes are usually worn as I will not allow my feet to touch the floor.

Karate chopped while doing a break fall? It seems that someone needs to learn the proper way to do it. Palms baby, the palms!

I bought a pair of Feiyues not to long ago and love them...then they came out with hi-tops. Dangit.

Most people in my school wear white Feiyues. I sport the black ones. Next pay check I may get the hightops.

They do not let normal shoes in our school, only Feiyues or other kung-fu shoes.

I never wear my shoes anywhere else but at kung-fu. I don't want to mess up mah shooeeeees
I haven't gotten the high tops. Might be a while as we are in a recession. But I got both the black and the white ones and I rotate them at times throughout the week. I've heard of people using them as regular sneakers but I doubt they were made for that. Normal sneakers should not be worn on the mats, in the dojo or in the kwoon or wherever you train in my opinion.

yea cubbies are cool...can be hand built or purchased...i'm sure tampa has a used office furniture type place where you could find something like that for not a lot of money.

you might even see if there is some sort of school furniture liquidator...gradeschools are cubbie havens
Cubbies are good for coats or for the slackers of the class that can't cut it.
Give me a good sturdy, spacious shoe rack. :)

Taryn P.
02-19-2009, 12:27 AM
[QUOTE=冠木侍;915252]
I've never done the mud thing before. I guess I haven't lived yet...
Gravel eh? And I thought I was tough. ;)

--------------------
Mud with FROST. I did it twice and then decided that I really should get some proper outdoor sparring shoes. One step on that nasty gravel was enough for me, though... on that one I conceded immediate defeat.
---------------------------

Karate chopped while doing a break fall? It seems that someone needs to learn the proper way to do it. Palms baby, the palms!

Yeah, but *he* isn't the one that got hurt from it. It seems that someone *else* needs to learn to either put some shoes on or get her foot out of the way. :p

冠木侍
02-19-2009, 12:56 AM
I have to wonder....if your martial art experience/style is as esoteric as your posting habits, we may all be in trouble. :D

--------------------
Mud with FROST. I did it twice and then decided that I really should get some proper outdoor sparring shoes. One step on that nasty gravel was enough for me, though... on that one I conceded immediate defeat.

Emphasis on the FROST for good measure. I doubt anyone would want to disregard your own experiences. The mud sounds interesting. The gravel I'll pass. Sounds like sneaks or some tennis shoes would suffice for the training that you undertake. Personally, I've stopped going outside barefoot ever since I stepped on a firecracker spark. Good memories of youth. :)

Yeah, but *he* isn't the one that got hurt from it. It seems that someone *else* needs to learn to either put some shoes on or get her foot out of the way. :p

True. But I mentioned it only because IF it was done the correct way, your foot/toe would have sustained less or maybe no damage (comparing a palm slap with a descending knifehand). However, you got the shoes now and I guess it's all that matters.

BTW...I gotta give props for holding your own in the discussion regarding females in the martial art. I would say "kudos" but its not MA enough for this forum. hehe

Taryn P.
02-19-2009, 01:25 AM
BTW...I gotta give props for holding your own in the discussion regarding females in the martial art. I would say "kudos" but its not MA enough for this forum. hehe

Thank you. I suspect, however, that more of them were impressed by the fact that I was cool about the dirty pictures than were impressed by my persuasive logic. :rolleyes:

冠木侍
02-19-2009, 01:51 AM
Thank you. I suspect, however, that more of them were impressed by the fact that I was cool about the dirty pictures than were impressed by my persuasive logic. :rolleyes:

Well, I can see your point about the picture. It kind of shows how much faith you have in some of the people here I guess. You know what they say about first impressions. Persuasive logic only gets one so far as you'll find once you spend more time here.

If you haven't been told so already, welcome to the forums. :)