PDA

View Full Version : Betal Nuts?

TenTigers
02-18-2009, 04:53 PM
Has anyone tried Bing-Lang/betal nuts? I have heard people chew them and it is a mild euphoric. The first time I heard of them was when reading,"Iron and Silk."

Phil Redmond
02-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Has anyone tried Bing-Lang/betal nuts? I have heard people chew them and it is a mild euphoric. The first time I heard of them was when reading,"Iron and Silk."

OMG, you brought back some memories. I remember 1966. My first tour in 'Nam. I saw these really pretty Vietnamese girls. Then they smiled. Their teeth were reddish brown from the betalnut. The older women's teeth were almost black.

yu shan
02-18-2009, 04:58 PM
One of my dream vacations is to tour all of the betal nut stands in Taiwan. ;)

TenTigers
02-18-2009, 04:59 PM
yeah, I'd heard it makes your teeth black. Then again, they don't have the greatest dental hygiene in those parts either.

GeneChing
02-18-2009, 05:03 PM
... it reminded me a lot of tobacco. A mild stimulant with digestive properties. You chew and spit, like chaw. Nasty really. Remember that train station in Slumdog Millionaire? I've been there. In every corner, the walls are stained blood red with betel spit.

I'm moving this to the TCM forum, just because it's slow down here. Maybe someone can post some links to Taiwanese betel girls. In India, the betal-wallahs are all old guys...

Here's a start. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJo7ZkLwkng)

yu shan
02-18-2009, 08:03 PM
So it sounds like you guys have never seen a betal nut girl. Gene, trust me, the betal nut girls in Taiwan are hot as heill.

Oso
02-18-2009, 08:20 PM
lol, yu shan, ever since you told me about this aspect of the visit to Tianan, I've had a hard time deciding which was more enticing: training with Shiye, or the Betal Nut Girls :D

so, does anyone know what exactly it is about the betal nuts that's got the kick?

and, Gene, I still don't get my emails about threads i've posted or subscribed too...I'll pm you on the morrow about it...or tell me who to check with. tia.

TenTigers
02-19-2009, 08:53 AM
"In India, the betal-wallahs are all old guys..."

do they still wear the cute little outfits with the short shorts?

AJM
02-19-2009, 12:28 PM
OMG, you brought back some memories. I remember 1966. My first tour in 'Nam. I saw these really pretty Vietnamese girls. Then they smiled. Their teeth were reddish brown from the betalnut. The older women's teeth were almost black.

And their breath smelled like satans bum.

taai gihk yahn
02-19-2009, 03:59 PM
I thought this was a thread about Michael Keaton's gonads...

uki
02-19-2009, 08:32 PM
I thought this was a thread about Michael Keaton's gonads...that would be beteljuice. :p

Vajramusti
02-19-2009, 09:29 PM
The betel nut istelf is not that tasty. They are called "supuri"(Bengali) or "supari" (Hindi)in eastern India.
Chewing results ina brownish juice. But when betel nut , a white edible lime paste(chun or choon)
and some other stuff is wrapped ina betel leaf- then it becomes "pan"-the juice is red.
There are poor people's versions and not so poor peoples versions- depending on the quality of the nut, the leaf and the ingredients. Often used after a meal

jo chaudhuri

TenTigers
02-20-2009, 12:36 AM
ok, so what does it taste like, and what are the effects of chewing it?

Vajramusti
02-20-2009, 08:35 AM
Plain betel nuts: taste "dull"- mildly helps digestion- mildly stimulating.

When mixed with other things (in India) can taste a bit sweet.

When mixed with other things and wrapped in betel leaves(pan)-can taste a little sweet-too much can be addictive-because the combination can have a nicotine content. The leaf mixture can be made to look attractive by being wrapped in thin silver paper.

joy chaudhuri

GeneChing
02-20-2009, 10:32 AM
...while betal isn't served by hot chicks in skimpy outfits in India, a betal-wallah will serve it up to your taste by mixing a range of different fresh spices in a chutney-like blend, hand-wrapped in a leaf to form a sort of skoal-bandit-like pouch. Very tasty. I didn't know what the hell I was doing at first. The betel-wallahs work from these newspaper-stand-like sheds. I went up to one, quite clueless, and the wallah listened to my tastes, asked several questions, and then patiently explained everything he was doing. That's one of the great things about India - fantastic person-to-person customer service. I tried betel several times in India, and a few times in Indonesia, but ultimately, it didn't do that much for me, so I didn't pursue it much ****her. I'm not into nicotine-like substances, or I'd be into nicotine. It's readily available here. Our city has a huge Indian population.

Kaylun
02-21-2009, 12:37 PM
we cant use Bing lang and its husk Da fu Pi in the U.K.

herb ox
02-22-2009, 10:09 AM
Useful for treating (i.e. killing) parasites in the gut - both bing lang and da fu pi are good for the digestion... perhaps it was a cultural evolution - those who chew the betel maybe don't suffer so much from intestinal parasites, therefore it may be a 'health promoting' behavior...

peace

ox

yu shan
02-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Kaylun

I have a question about the UK. Are you not able to import herbs or liquids relating to bruise medicine? I ask because I was contacted by someone in the UK who wanted bruise medicine recipe but could not recieve the actual liquid or herbs. Just curious, sorry for a bit off topic.

Jim

Kaylun
02-25-2009, 04:01 AM
I've had no problems in the past with importing herbs or liquids from the U.S.

GeneChing
02-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Thanks Vajramusti. I've been saying betel with the nagging feeling that wasn't right. I forgot the term pan.

Dale Dugas
02-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Kaylun

I have a question about the UK. Are you not able to import herbs or liquids relating to bruise medicine? I ask because I was contacted by someone in the UK who wanted bruise medicine recipe but could not recieve the actual liquid or herbs. Just curious, sorry for a bit off topic.

Jim

Was this person named Khalid from the UK?

I sold him a formula years ago,

Oso
03-05-2009, 07:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgk3nNY2QZo&feature=rec-HM-fresh+div

vid of betal nut girl...safe for work...only PG at most

yu shan
03-06-2009, 05:22 AM
Dale

As a matter of fact yes it was a fellow named Khalid.

Hey Oso, One of my guys is over visiting with Master Shi. Maybe I should place an order.

Oso
03-06-2009, 05:32 AM
i betcha they are on a list of 'no-no's'...besides, it sorta sounds like you could chew coffee beans and some of those funny mushrooms and get the same effect.

jethro
03-07-2009, 12:32 AM
I figured this was a drug or something, but I wouldn't have thought of nicotine. There's a movie called Shaolin vs Tai Chi and in the final fight the hero wants to use his drunken style to defeat the villain. He decides to eat some betel nuts and gets really messed up and I think he has some internal bleeding. I still have no idea what was going on there.

GeneChing
03-12-2009, 03:24 PM
I can assure you that chewing "coffee beans and some of those funny mushrooms" would produce a considerably different effect then betel. Betel is fairly benign, which is why it's legal throughout Asia and in America.

Oso
03-12-2009, 05:45 PM
I can assure you that chewing "coffee beans and some of those funny mushrooms" would produce a considerably different effect then betel. Betel is fairly benign, which is why it's legal throughout Asia and in America.

i bet you can ;)