PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite warrior from the past

SPJ
02-19-2009, 08:55 AM
This is tough. I have so many picks.

well,

I like general Yue Fei who fought Jin in southern Song dynasty.

He was also good at tactics and strategy. He was truely remarkable for his time.

I also like Guan Yu from the three kingdoms.

Some would say the first Emperor of Song--

Well, what would be your pick?

:D:)

SPJ
02-19-2009, 08:59 AM
http://www.bokcx.com/jingpin/guangong_a.jpg

Guan Yu.

The weapon he used most is a ultra long spear called Shuo.

:cool:

EarthDragon
02-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Damo's first student who cut off his own arm to prove his worthiness to be taught Chan Buddhism. No one has balls like that

GreenCloudCLF
02-19-2009, 09:01 AM
General Dwight D Eisenhower.
After the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Eisenhower was assigned to the General Staff in Washington, where he served until June 1942 with responsibility for creating the major war plans to defeat Japan and Germany. He was appointed Deputy Chief in charge of Pacific Defenses under the Chief of War Plans Division, General Leonard T. Gerow, and then succeeded Gerow as Chief of the War Plans Division. Then he was appointed Assistant Chief of Staff in charge of Operations Division under Chief of Staff General George C. Marshall. It was his close association with Marshall that finally brought Eisenhower to senior command positions. Marshall recognized his great organizational and administrative abilities.[31]

In 1942, Eisenhower was appointed Commanding General, European Theater of Operations (ETOUSA) and was based in London. In November, he was also appointed Supreme Commander Allied (Expeditionary) Force of the North African Theater of Operations (NATOUSA) through the new operational Headquarters A(E)FHQ. The word "expeditionary" was dropped soon after his appointment for security reasons. In February 1943, his authority was extended as commander of AFHQ across the Mediterranean basin to include the British 8th Army, commanded by General Bernard Law Montgomery. The 8th Army had advanced across the Western Desert from the east and was ready for the start of the Tunisia Campaign. Eisenhower gained his fourth star and gave up command of ETOUSA to be commander of NATOUSA. After the capitulation of Axis forces in North Africa, Eisenhower remained in command of the renamed Mediterranean Theater of Operations (MTO), keeping the operational title and continued in command of NATOUSA redesignated MTOUSA. In this position he oversaw the invasion of Sicily and the invasion of the Italian mainland.

Eisenhower speaks with U.S. paratroopers of the 502d Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division on the evening of June 5, 1944.In December 1943, it was announced that Eisenhower would be Supreme Allied Commander in Europe. In January 1944, he resumed command of ETOUSA and the following month was officially designated as the Supreme Allied Commander of the Allied Expeditionary Force (SHAEF), serving in a dual role until the end of hostilities in Europe in May 1945. In these positions he was charged with planning and carrying out the Allied assault on the coast of Normandy in June 1944 under the code name Operation Overlord, the liberation of western Europe and the invasion of Germany. A month after the Normandy D-Day landings on June 6, 1944, the invasion of southern France took place, and control of the forces which took part in the southern invasion passed from the AFHQ to the SHAEF. From then until the end of the War in Europe on May 8, 1945, Eisenhower through SHAEF had supreme command of all operational Allied forces2, and through his command of ETOUSA, administrative command of all U.S. forces, on the Western Front north of the Alps.

As recognition of his senior position in the Allied command, on December 20, 1944, he was promoted to General of the Army equivalent to the rank of Field Marshal in most European armies. In this and the previous high commands he held, Eisenhower showed his great talents for leadership and diplomacy. Although he had never seen action himself, he won the respect of front-line commanders. He dealt skillfully with difficult subordinates such as Omar Bradley and Patton, and allies such as Winston Churchill, Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery and General Charles de Gaulle. He had fundamental disagreements with Churchill and Montgomery over questions of strategy, but these rarely upset his relationships with them. He negotiated with Soviet Marshal Zhukov[32], and such was the confidence that President Franklin D. Roosevelt had in him, he sometimes worked directly with Stalin, much to the chagrin of the British High Command who disliked being bypassed. During the advance towards Berlin, he was notified by General Bradley that Allied forces would suffer an estimated 100,000 casualties before taking the city. The Soviet Army sustained 80,000 casualties during the fighting in and around Berlin, the last large number of casualties suffered in the war against Nazism.[33][34]

It was never certain that Operation Overlord would succeed. The seriousness surrounding the entire decision, including the timing and the location of the Normandy invasion, might be summarized by a second shorter speech that Eisenhower wrote in advance, in case he needed it. Long after the successful landings on D-Day and the BBC broadcast of Eisenhower's brief speech concerning them, the never-used second speech was found in a shirt pocket by an aide. It read:

Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based on the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt, it is mine alone.

SPJ
02-19-2009, 09:02 AM
http://www.zouuu.com/uploadimages/sight_pic20080201173320.jpg

Yue Fei.

http://www.167ly.com/jingdian/sight.asp?id=15852

Yue Fei memorial museum.

:)

Oso
02-19-2009, 09:03 AM
I like this guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belisarius

but, didn't know anything about him till reading a fictional series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belisarius_series

and then did a little research on the real Belisarius and it turns out he's been featured in fiction writing for a really long time

SimonM
02-19-2009, 09:07 AM
Michael Collins

GreenCloudCLF
02-19-2009, 09:09 AM
Liam Neeson in Taken

bawang
02-19-2009, 09:12 AM
my favorite heros are song jiang and 36 good fellows from yangzi river because ten thousand man song army was afraid to cross yangzi river to catch them
i also like li guang from han dynasty, he is terror of hunnus they call him the flying general his army fight hunnu horde ten to one
also chingis khan because he kiled a lot of pepples

David Jamieson
02-19-2009, 09:12 AM
simo hahay (sp?) a.k.a "the white death"

Finnish sniper credited with over 700 kills.

the dude was smart, he survived having his face blown off as well and lived to a ripe old age.

seriously, this guy is worth admiring as warriors go.

yu shan
02-19-2009, 09:14 AM
King Leonidas of Sparta

SimonM
02-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Not to be a wet blanket but both Liam Neeson's character in Taken (awesome as he was) and Song Jiang from Shuei Hu were fictional characters.

Oh and Song Jiang was a putz. He wasn't even a warrior, just a mysogenistic bureaucrat. Now... wu song and lu zhishen - there were a couple of warriors!

bawang
02-19-2009, 09:29 AM
song jiang and 36 heros were real people, they were yangzi river robbers near jiangsu
fictional ones were 108 heros in shandong mountain

SimonM
02-19-2009, 09:31 AM
I will defer to you good sir on this issue.

However, based on my shuei hu derived information he was still a putz. ;)

bawang
02-19-2009, 09:34 AM
i think he is a bigger hero than all of those big muscle guys
when stranger or friends are in need, he give silver freely with no second thought, and this was in song dynasty china!! people in china dont even help strangers today!

fictional li kui was awesome though, he fight naked spinning two axes!! and one time he tied a guy to a tree cut off strips from his thighs and roasted them slowly in front of him! :eek:surprised face!
i agree wu song was awesome too, he disembowel the adulteress and sacrifice her organs to his murdered brother, now thats super badass

SimonM
02-19-2009, 09:49 AM
when stranger or friends are in need, he give silver freely with no second thought, and this was in song dynasty china!! people in china dont even help strangers today!

Maybe not in your part of the country mate but in rural Shanxi there is plenty of charitable thoughts.

And not necessarily just from the well-heeled, some of the most truly virtuous people I saw were date farmers living half-way up the side of a mountain in the lvliang shan range in a cave house.

bawang
02-19-2009, 10:03 AM
i think northern people are very nice yes, in jiangsu its 50/50 lol

GreenCloudCLF
02-19-2009, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=SimonM;915343]Not to be a wet blanket but both Liam Neeson's character in Taken (awesome as he was) and Song Jiang from Shuei Hu were fictional characters.
[QUOTE]

Really?!?!?!

That's why I voted for Ike first.

Lucas
02-19-2009, 10:21 AM
Fictional:

Hercules. He was most definately the man.

Factual:

Alexander the Great. Whilst some may not consider him a hero, he was presumed undefeated in personal combat, as well as war. Dying at 32 of either malaria, poison, or some other disease, are among the most common theories. Also most definately the man.

NoOneBetter
02-19-2009, 10:23 AM
chuck norris.

GreenCloudCLF
02-19-2009, 10:24 AM
chuck norris.

Can't vote for gods...

David Jamieson
02-19-2009, 10:40 AM
hey Lucas, you're not a little light in the loafers are you?

i mean, all those mad props to alexander and all. lol :p

Lucas
02-19-2009, 10:41 AM
hey Lucas, you're not a little light in the loafers are you?

i mean, all those mad props to alexander and all. lol :p

i dont get it lol

Kansuke
02-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Maybe not in your part of the country mate but in rural Shanxi there is plenty of charitable thoughts.

And not necessarily just from the well-heeled, some of the most truly virtuous people I saw were date farmers living half-way up the side of a mountain in the lvliang shan range in a cave house.

Gotta agree with this.

sanjuro_ronin
02-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Alexander, no doubt.

Kansuke
02-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Well, what would be your pick?

:D:)

Hojo Tokimune or Takeda Shingen

Lucas
02-19-2009, 10:48 AM
i dont get it lol

oh wait, i get it, i googled that phrase. you men teh ghey.

well as to that, i never saw that movie that depicted him as gay. which i heard a lot of people were mad about.

he did father 2 sons and marry two princesses......so if thats gay guy has more game with the ladies than I do. last time i checked i never banged no princess :p

Lucas
02-19-2009, 10:50 AM
ok my ultimate factual hero of course is Miyamoto Musashi.

we all know why. also, undefeated.

there is something to be said about warriors who live to death undefeated in combat, when they actually make a lifes work of fighting in death matches and wars.

sanjuro_ronin
02-19-2009, 12:06 PM
oh wait, i get it, i googled that phrase. you men teh ghey.

well as to that, i never saw that movie that depicted him as gay. which i heard a lot of people were mad about.

he did father 2 sons and marry two princesses......so if thats gay guy has more game with the ladies than I do. last time i checked i never banged no princess :p

Hi was probably BI by modern day accounts.
For lack of a better word.

ok my ultimate factual hero of course is Miyamoto Musashi.

we all know why. also, undefeated.

there is something to be said about warriors who live to death undefeated in combat, when they actually make a lifes work of fighting in death matches and wars.

Musashi only fought in one battle/war, the rest were personal duels, so, as a "WARRIOR" he is somewhat lacking in that regard.

GreenCloudCLF
02-19-2009, 12:21 PM
If being undefeated is your criteria (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300696)

SimonM
02-19-2009, 12:33 PM
Hi was probably BI by modern day accounts.
For lack of a better word.

Ideas of sexual preference were rather different back then. Almost everyone seems to have been a catamite at some point in time.

Hell.. Socrates.

sanjuro_ronin
02-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Ideas of sexual preference were rather different back then. Almost everyone seems to have been a catamite at some point in time.

Hell.. Socrates.

That's what I meant, by today's standards he was BI ( probably), but in those times he was just being a Greek.
LOL !

Oso
02-19-2009, 01:24 PM
very punny...

Lucas
02-19-2009, 01:55 PM
i dont know if spj was speaking strictly of the definitive criteria of being involved in warfare as a soldier to dertrimine a 'warrior'

some definitions are more loose, being those experienced or skilled in athletic endeavors or even politics.

In 1614–1615, Musashi participated in the war between the Toyotomi and the Tokugawa. In the war he participated in 2 battles. So definately not a large amount of warfare experience.

its accounted that by the time of his retirement, he fought over 60 duels. this number also does not count for the men slain in the war he was participated in.

being ronin for such a long time up and down, and fighting that many actual duels to the death i think classifies him as a warrior IMO. more so than most people any of us know.

he may not have had a large military career, but he definately had a warriors spirit.

In 1621, Musashi defeated Miyake Gunbei and three other adepts of the Togun ryu in front of the lord of Himeji. thats just hardcore.

so even if he doesnt meet some dictionary standards of a 'warrior' i still think he was.

sanjuro_ronin
02-19-2009, 02:20 PM
i dont know if spj was speaking strictly of the definitive criteria of being involved in warfare as a soldier to dertrimine a 'warrior'

some definitions are more loose, being those experienced or skilled in athletic endeavors or even politics.

In 1614–1615, Musashi participated in the war between the Toyotomi and the Tokugawa. In the war he participated in 2 battles. So definately not a large amount of warfare experience.

its accounted that by the time of his retirement, he fought over 60 duels. this number also does not count for the men slain in the war he was participated in.

being ronin for such a long time up and down, and fighting that many actual duels to the death i think classifies him as a warrior IMO. more so than most people any of us know.

he may not have had a large military career, but he definately had a warriors spirit.

In 1621, Musashi defeated Miyake Gunbei and three other adepts of the Togun ryu in front of the lord of Himeji. thats just hardcore.

so even if he doesnt meet some dictionary standards of a 'warrior' i still think he was.

In the "loose" sense of the word, sure.

Lucas
02-19-2009, 02:40 PM
In the "loose" sense of the word, sure.

Now, are you trying to imply that I'm loose? Just because I said Alexander.....

sanjuro_ronin
02-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Now, are you trying to imply that I'm loose? Just because I said Alexander.....

hey, I don't begrudge any man his wood.
:D

David Jamieson
02-19-2009, 02:58 PM
That's what I meant, by today's standards he was BI ( probably), but in those times he was just being a Greek.
LOL !

the man was gay as buckets and deeply in love with his first mate by all accounts.

of course he fathered a few whelps. that's your job when you're king.

he never hung with the wimmins and always hung with his mates and especially his main boy. lol

but, in that time, that was acceptable by most standards. so no big deal.

but still...hahahahahaha.

*I'm so immature* :p

bawang
02-19-2009, 03:31 PM
alexander likes persian ladyboys lolol

my favorite warrior
captain james t kirk :eek:

Lucas
02-19-2009, 04:12 PM
the man was gay as buckets and deeply in love with his first mate by all accounts.

of course he fathered a few whelps. that's your job when you're king.

he never hung with the wimmins and always hung with his mates and especially his main boy. lol

but, in that time, that was acceptable by most standards. so no big deal.

but still...hahahahahaha.

*I'm so immature* :p

lol. he was also deformed.

so all those commanders and generals he crushed....were destroyed by a deformed gay guy.

sanjuro_ronin
02-20-2009, 06:16 AM
alexander likes persian ladyboys lolol

my favorite warrior
captain james t kirk :eek:

For you Bro:

sanjuro_ronin
02-20-2009, 06:17 AM
lol. he was also deformed.

so all those commanders and generals he crushed....were destroyed by a deformed gay guy.

Harsh !!
I think that makes him an even greater warrior, fighting battles is hard enough, doing that while smoking a sausage, now that's uber-skills !!

golgo
02-20-2009, 07:18 AM
1. The Ultimate Warrior

End of list.

sanjuro_ronin
02-20-2009, 07:25 AM
1. The Ultimate Warrior

End of list.

Now we are really going the gay route !

TenTigers
02-20-2009, 10:12 AM
My faveorite warriors would have to be a toss up between Daniel LaRusso, and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3hHQvkUhJo

sanjuro_ronin
02-20-2009, 10:38 AM
My faveorite warriors would have to be a toss up between Daniel LaRusso, and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3hHQvkUhJo

Or this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmu5sRIizdw

Lucas
02-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Conan the Barbarian > all

TenTigers
02-20-2009, 11:18 AM
THE BLACK KNIGHT!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4&NR=1

(classic!)

taai gihk yahn
02-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Robin Hood (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPt0sjn0jSw)

and Little John (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llXPtX6Pcxc&feature=related)

sanjuro_ronin
02-20-2009, 12:15 PM
THE BLACK KNIGHT!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4&NR=1

(classic!)

Truly, if great warrior was synomymous with pain tolerance !!