PDA

View Full Version : Decrepancy in Bei Shaolin history

Sal Canzonieri
02-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Can someone please shed some light on this, thanks!

I am doing some research on various Shaolin styles, and came across contradictory or at least confusing information.

1. Kanjia Quan was a series of special sets of Long Fist martial art that the guards of the various gates on the Shaolin grounds practiced to protect the area (or to keep watch of Qing activities in the area). The style was saved by Monk Zhi Yuan (志遠) who fled from Henan Province to Hebei Province and passed the style onto Zhili Sheng Xihe Jie (直隸省西河街) lay follower (non-clerical) of Shaolin. He taught many villagers and the Shaolin style was passed onto Feng Shaochen (馮少臣), who passed the skills onto Xu Weisan (徐畏三) from Jiangsu. Xu Weisan went to Kiangsu Province and taught the Northern Shaolin style to the Yan Family, who later spread it throughout Shandong Province. Eventually, the Kanji Quan changed over time as it reached Yan Degong (Yan Po) to Yan Sansen, who taught Yan Jiwen, until it reached Gu Ru Zhang (Ku Yu Cheong), who incorporated them with many other styles he had learned, creating what is now called the ‘Bei Shaolin’ / ‘Bak Sil Lum’ style.

2. okay, then most other Bei Shaolin style people say that it was Gan Fengchi passed on this Shaolin art to Xu Weisan.

3, OTHER Bei Shaolin say that Gan taught Shaolin long fist to a student named Wan Bengcai.

3. All I have ever seen that is verifiable in research about Gan Fengshi is this:

The famous Shaolin master Gan Fengchi also left the Shaolin area during the reign of the fourth Qing Emperor Yongzheng (1723-1735 CE.). Under his rule, all weapon training was banned. Defiance was punishable by death. Gan Fengchi was a native of Ningxian County in Jiangsu Province (he was born around 1600 and had lived to about 80 years old); he eventually became the layman disciple of a Shaolin monk name Zhao Yuan. Zhao Yuan was originally from the royal family of the previous Ming Dynasty, whose secular name was Zhu Fu. When the Qing overthrew the Ming in 1644, Zhu Fu renounced his family name and became a monk, in hopes of learning Shaolin kungfu to help restore Ming reign. He trained Gan for twelve years, during which he became an anti-Qing rebel. In the seventh year of Yongzheng's reign, the emperor had over a 100 people arrested for civil disobedience, including Gan.

After leaving the Shaolin area, Gan trained in Sichuan province at Emei and there learned Three Emperor Pao Chui style and internal nei gong practices. According to ancient chronicles, at the turn of the Ming and Qing dynasties, Monk Puzhao toured Mount Emei in Sichuan Province, where he met a Taoist priest from whom he learned the Pao Chui (Priest Dong Cheng again? He taught Pao Quan / Pao Chui routines from Da Hong Quan). After mastering the art, Monk Puzhao taught it to Qiao Sanxiu and Gan Fengchi during Qing emperors Kangxi and Yong Zheng's reigns (1622-1735). He taught Qiao to temper suppleness through hardness, with suppleness as the core and hardness as the outward application. In contrast, he taught Gan to temper hardness through suppleness, with hardness as the core and suppleness as the outward application. The Gan-style focused on maintaining health. During the reign of Emperor Qianlong (1736-1795), Qiao Sanxiu passed his Chuan on to Qiao Heling whereas the disciples of the Gan Fengchi-style of Three Emperor Pao Chui are unknown.

Gan eventually developed a style called Hua Quan, Flower Boxing, which was a merger of Taiji like Rou Quan and Pao Chui. He wrote a book, Introduction to Hua Quan, which still exists about his new style; the book shows some common movements with the same names as they are shown in Yang Taiji Quan.

GeneChing
02-20-2009, 02:53 PM
I've always harbored the feeling that the Gan Fengchi (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=498) connection was somewhat dubious. I don't have anything to support that, but so much of Chinese martial roots are apocryphal.

Sal Canzonieri
02-20-2009, 04:14 PM
I've always harbored the feeling that the Gan Fengchi (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=498) connection was somewhat dubious. I don't have anything to support that, but so much of Chinese martial roots are apocryphal.

I think that people have confused him with Feng Shaochen (馮少臣). It looks like it was him rather then Gan Fengshi that taught Xu Weishan

But who is Wan Bengcai? Is he really Xu WeiShan?

Siu Lum Fighter
02-21-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm curious, what specific document contained this information:

Eventually, the Kanji Quan changed over time as it reached Yan Degong (Yan Po) to Yan Sansen, who taught Yan Jiwen, until it reached Gu Ru Zhang (Ku Yu Cheong), who incorporated them with many other styles he had learned, creating what is now called the ‘Bei Shaolin’ / ‘Bak Sil Lum’ style.
I don't remember ever reading anywhere that it was the Kanji Quan sets that were eventually taught to Yan Jiwen. I may be wrong in questioning this, but if it was just assumed by someone that it was indeed the Kanji Quan sets that were taught to Yan Jiwen without specific documents from at least the early 1900's, then should it be automatically assumed that it's true?

bawang
02-21-2009, 08:14 PM
can i ask if bak sil lum has the signature move "five heros sit on mountain" or "beating tiger pose"?

Sal Canzonieri
02-21-2009, 08:23 PM
I'm curious, what specific document contained this information:

I don't remember ever reading anywhere that it was the Kanji Quan sets that were eventually taught to Yan Jiwen. I may be wrong in questioning this, but if it was just assumed by someone that it was indeed the Kanji Quan sets that were taught to Yan Jiwen without specific documents from at least the early 1900's, then should it be automatically assumed that it's true?

Well, The Kanjia Quan style's history says that Zhi Yuan (志遠) fled Henan Province to Hebei Province and passed their style onto Zhili Sheng Xihe Jie (直隸省西河街) of Shaolin. Stops there. they also say that Kanjia quan was spread to Shandong province. It is found in Shandong today.

THEN, the Jingmo school's history also lists these same two people, and says Zhili taught Shaolin Quan to many villagers in Hebei, and then says that Feng Shaochen (馮少臣) learned Henan Shaolin Quan from an unknown person in his village in Hebei, and then he passed it onto Xu Weisan (徐畏三) from Jiangsu. Xu Weisan went to Kiangsu Province and taught the Northern Shaolin style to the Yan Family, who later spread it throughout Shandong Province, via Yan Degong (Yan Po) to Yan Sansen, who taught Yan Jiwen, until it reached Gu Ru Zhang (Ku Yu Cheong).

Other Bai Shaolin School say that Gan Fengchi taught Wan Bengcai, who taught the Yan family, etc, etc.

When you compare the 12 sets of Shaolin Kanji Quan and the 10 sets of Bai Shaolin, they share the set names and many of the movements from the Kanjia look like prototypical versions of the more concise and condensed 10 Bai Shaolin sets.

Wildwoo
02-22-2009, 05:50 PM
There are a bunch of us who just practice what we have learned everyday who say thanks for keeping us up to date on the roots.:cool:

Sal Canzonieri
02-22-2009, 08:24 PM
The Kanjia Quan means boxing for protecting the home.

It was used by the monks and people who posed as monks who were anti-Qing rebels, they lived (or hid out) in the shrine areas all around Shaolin.
They had a network of communication from one guard house to another and from one temple to another from Henan west to Shandong, and from Henan south to Fujian and from Henan west to Shanxi, and from Henan north to Hebei.

Shaolin is in an area that shanxi, hebei, henan, and shandong all border each other.

In 1735 to 1780, there was renovations made to Shaolin to destroy all the guard houses and peripheral places that rebels hung out in. These monks and fake monks were forced out and they went to Hebei and Shandong and elsewhere.
These monks spread Luohan Quan, Hong Quan, and Kanjia Quan styles outside the Henan area at that time.

Further Back when the Mongolians had taken over, various Taoist sects took over many Buddhist temples and wouldn't give them back. There was a full court case with the Mongol emperor judging. Fu Yu gave the defense for the Buddhists, and won the issue. they were arguing with Taoists if they were legitimate or not, many many technical issues were involved, much more complicated than my quick summary is making it look.

The Kanjia Quan was originally created during the Yuan Dynasty under Abbott Fu Yu's jurisdiction, according to legend. Military monks were set up to guard Shaolin against Taoists and to take back temples that Taoists stole from Buddhistis.

The Mongols made Fu Yu in charge of the Buddhist monastery system. they needed guards.

Much later in time, the peripheral monks near Shaolin practiced Kanjia Quan in secret, since Manchus made it forbidden and punishable by death to practice martial arts publicly.

Northwind
02-16-2010, 08:49 PM
Just be glad that somebody has not yet made this mistake...

Gan = Kan
Jia = Family

As in Kanjia Quan = Ganjia Quan / fist of the gan family

I may be opening a horrible can of worms here, but just thought it funny :P