PDA

View Full Version : Non-Chinese Tiger and Crane styles?

Taryn P.
02-21-2009, 12:16 AM
I have a written test to do and I'm stuck on two questions.

It is an "open-resource" test, so I'm not cheating to ask. ;)

Can anyone help?

17) What foreign style(s) also has/have a tiger componant?

18) Are there other crane-related styles or forms outside of China and Tibet? Where?

taai gihk yahn
02-21-2009, 06:05 AM
I have a written test to do and I'm stuck on two questions.

It is an "open-resource" test, so I'm not cheating to ask. ;)

Can anyone help?

17) What foreign style(s) also has/have a tiger componant?

18) Are there other crane-related styles or forms outside of China and Tibet? Where?
there is crane in Okinawan and Japanese MA; you can probably find tiger in Indian and Indonesian arts; just get a-Googling...

TenTigers
02-21-2009, 07:09 AM
Indonesian Pentjak Silat has a Tiger style -Harimau
Burmese Bando has a Tiger style

Oso
02-21-2009, 07:17 AM
specifically look for isshinryu (my spelling may be off on that word) they have a form called 'crane on a rock' or something like that. saw several friends learn this set decades ago.

i understand that the form that fumio demura is doing in the original karate kid (where he is doubling for Morita) is this very form...it's the scene on the pier/pillar

ok, since it had been a while since i had heard any of the above I went looking for info and found this about the form chinto, also called gankaku

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinto

Vajramusti
02-21-2009, 08:27 AM
Indonesian Pentjak Silat has a Tiger style -Harimau
Burmese Bando has a Tiger style
------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO= Harimau's roots are in India. Indian arts played a considerable role in South East Asia.
Many terms are Indian in origin--silat, guro, pendekar . kris(karat-saw)..

there are unique fusions of the indigenous and the imported elements in SE Asia...

hari mau has some ground fighting techniques.

joy chaudhuri
bangali bagh- the bengal tiger<g>

Vajramusti
02-21-2009, 08:31 AM
Tibetan crane.

Also- Tibetans had lion dances- the snow lion.

joy chaudhuri

David Jamieson
02-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Tiger is probably the oldest animal connection to martial arts from asia.
"Fight like a tiger" is so old it is lost in time.

David Jamieson
02-21-2009, 11:33 AM
specifically look for isshinryu (my spelling may be off on that word) they have a form called 'crane on a rock' or something like that. saw several friends learn this set decades ago.

i understand that the form that fumio demura is doing in the original karate kid (where he is doubling for Morita) is this very form...it's the scene on the pier/pillar

ok, since it had been a while since i had heard any of the above I went looking for info and found this about the form chinto, also called gankaku

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinto

Isshin Ryu Karate Do Is compiled of Shorin and Goju Kata with only one form being unique to the style.

"crane on a rock" is a posture and not a form. There are schools that call themselves Isshinryu but don't teach the kata as they were used in the original format which has Seisan first. From Shorin Ryu. Most kata in Isshin Ryu are Shorin kata with only a couple of them being Goju.

just sayin... :)

SanHeChuan
02-21-2009, 03:05 PM
I have a written test to do

Is this test for promotion or something? How many questions? Care to post the test?

I think MA teachers should encourage their students to learn about other styles. I think MA teachers should encourage their students to learn about their own styles too for that matter. People who don't even know the origins of their own styles are :rolleyes:

TenTigers
02-21-2009, 05:13 PM
sanchin, seisan and sanseiryu, I believe are goju katas.

Oso
02-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Isshin Ryu Karate Do Is compiled of Shorin and Goju Kata with only one form being unique to the style.

"crane on a rock" is a posture and not a form. There are schools that call themselves Isshinryu but don't teach the kata as they were used in the original format which has Seisan first. From Shorin Ryu. Most kata in Isshin Ryu are Shorin kata with only a couple of them being Goju.

just sayin... :)

yea, that's why i looked it up...and then found issues with what I remembered.

but, i swear that my old buddies called that form 'crane on the rock'...but, it's been 20+ years now and we did beat each other about the head a lot...

Taryn P.
02-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Is this test for promotion or something? How many questions? Care to post the test?

I think MA teachers should encourage their students to learn about other styles. I think MA teachers should encourage their students to learn about their own styles too for that matter. People who don't even know the origins of their own styles are :rolleyes:

Well, there's one written test for each level promotion, altho it's kind of an informal thing. None of it is brain surgery, it's simple questions. There are some factual questions on it, like the ones I was asking about, because they do want to make sure we have a minimum of history, etc. There are other questions there which are more strategy-type "how would you handle this situation" things. I am told that they use those to get to better know their students and how we think. Theoretically, as we get into the higher levels, there is less of everyone learning the same material and people are given more specialized curriculums according to their unique abilities.

Some of the same questions show up on more than one test. Probably some of our answers change as we learn and grow more.

You also have to start writing some essays, at some point.... I haven't gotten there yet, so I don't know what that's all about.

In our school, before you can go for black belt rank, you must have studied for a minimum of six months in another martial art. Most of the people in my class already have more than that. One of the really cool things about my group is that almost everyone has a background in a different martial art, and they can bring techniques in from all these different sources to share.

I had a decade of tai chi, on and off with several different teachers, before coming to this class... it's probably not going to count for that requirement because I think we're supposed to study an MA that is not Chinese. I would love to take some jujitsu. I haven't had much formal groundfighting training, but I seem to have a potential for it. On the other hand, my joint lock skills $uck. So I thought that would be a good way to try to shore up one weakness and build on one strength at the same time. The only problem is I can't begin to imagine how I am going to fit another class into my life. I am going like a gerbil on a wheel as it is!!!

I can post the test if people are really interested; it may make for some good discussions. I dunno if I want to post all my answers or not.... does a warrior really want to lay one's strategic mindset out for the whole internet to see.... (Before I turned in the first test, I asked anxiously, "Ummm, who all is going to be SEEING this?" I was having nightmarish visions of the d@amn thing being passed around the supper table at a black-belt-and-above retreat, with a bunch of folks I haven't even met! :eek: )

SanHeChuan
02-21-2009, 08:06 PM
(Before I turned in the first test, I asked anxiously, "Ummm, who all is going to be SEEING this?" I was having nightmarish visions of the d@amn thing being passed around the supper table at a black-belt-and-above retreat, with a bunch of folks I haven't even met! )

when reading this I imagined your test being read in the Hall of Doom (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozGO3QeZMgw).

Taryn P.
02-21-2009, 08:17 PM
when reading this I imagined your test being read in the Hall of Doom (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozGO3QeZMgw).

Lovely. Then I'll have to spar all of those supervillians, blindfolded- and if I don't measure up I get shipped off to Brainiac's laboratory as a research subject.

I think I could take most of them, but Solomon Grundy's probably going to kick my @ss. That guy has always given me the creeps.

Taryn P.
02-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks to everyone who has contributed ideas so far, it's a big help. I did search the web before asking, but there's such a ton of dross out there; I needed some directional hints.

GreenCloudCLF
02-22-2009, 09:07 PM
The Karate Kid DVD should be attached to your test as evidence of Crane in non-Chinese Arts.

GreenCloudCLF
02-22-2009, 09:12 PM

That is a great fu(king video.

David43515
02-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Uechi Ryu Karate has alot of Tiger and Crane influence. Uechi Ryu and Goju Ryu are the 2 styles most generally reffered to as Naha styles, the ones heavily influenced by Southern Chinese systems. (Naha was the main city on the south end of Okinawa) The Shorin styles centered around the capital city of Shuri and had a more Northern Chinese influence.

David Jamieson
02-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Seisan is a shorin kata. Not Goju.

TenTigers
02-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Seisan is a shorin kata. Not Goju.

it would appear that it is both.
http://i-budo.org/content/view/287/29/

Pork Chop
02-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Uechi Ryu Karate has alot of Tiger and Crane influence. Uechi Ryu and Goju Ryu are the 2 styles most generally reffered to as Naha styles, the ones heavily influenced by Southern Chinese systems. (Naha was the main city on the south end of Okinawa) The Shorin styles centered around the capital city of Shuri and had a more Northern Chinese influence.

Man, if you've ever been there, Shuri basically IS in Naha these days - I'm talking 2 miles away from downtown Naha proper. Oh yah, Naha's still the capital.

Lots of Fujian White Crane and Ngor Chor Kuen influence on Okinawan stuff.

My buddy is an Okinawa-trained Shorin instructor and I really don't see the northern in his stuff.
He's a big proponent of the history that his stuff came from Shuri castle guards

Shaolinlueb
02-23-2009, 10:01 AM
shaolin do has everything and its not chinese. dont let the name fool you.

David Jamieson
02-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Shorin is "shaolin", is Okinawan and does not include any northern style from Shaolin at all. It is all very "Hung" in appearance.

sanjuro_ronin
02-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Shorin is "shaolin", is Okinawan and does not include any northern style from Shaolin at all. It is all very "Hung" in appearance.

I always found that Shorei was more southern...Shorin was more...well..."flashy".

David Jamieson
02-24-2009, 06:33 AM
I always found that Shorei was more southern...Shorin was more...well..."flashy".

flashy? I haven't ever seen any "flashy" karate. lol

except for musical kata demos which are always the height of crap. :p

sanjuro_ronin
02-24-2009, 07:19 AM
flashy? I haven't ever seen any "flashy" karate. lol

except for musical kata demos which are always the height of crap. :p

Musical kata competitions...what can one say about the prime example of the horrid view of forms in MA?
SUCK IT, SUCK IT LONG AND SUCK IT HARD !!

Now, Shorin-ryu can be quite flashy, ever see Tadashi Yama****a do his stuff?
Now, Some Shorin is father stiff, this is true, but if one were to compare Shorin-ryu with Shorei-ryu and see which is "more" like Hung Gar, It would probably be Shorei.
Though Goju is far more "hung" than either of them.