PDA

View Full Version : Real Weapons, Martial Arts, and Self Defense

SanHeChuan
02-21-2009, 12:34 PM
You cannot effectively employ any mid/close range weapon without some "martial" training to back it up.

Being able to Operate a weapon, and say put bullets on target is not the same thing as being able to use a weapon.

Most people who use a weapon like a stun gun, pepper spray, or a firearm for self defense neglect training that would allow them to hold on to their weapon in close quarters.

I can not find the static so I'll just say that "most" women who attempt to use pepper spray to defend them self, end up having the weapon taken and turned against them. Or they get secondary exposure from close contact with their attacker.

That is not to say that classical martial arts training is necessary but some form of on going training that blends the use of the body with the weapon is.

Also pet peeve, in a self defense situation you can not, "Go home and get my gun." If you don't have your weapon with you 24/7 you need some alternate backup self defense option. So I don't see how a firearm could ever 100% replace unarmed combat for self defense.

If on your way to a PTA meeting at your kids school and you had to leave you weapon in the car, because it's not allow on school property even with a conceal and carry license and some dude decides to "take your lunch money". You better have a back up plan.

Of course "most" of the time smart thinking will keep you out of a dangerous situations.

Taryn P.
02-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Pepper spray has very limited value. It's mostly good for the drunk hassling you on the street as opposed to the really violent guy trying to kill you.

In the latter case, it might give you an extra couple of seconds to get your gun out.

Also, if the attacker is hyped up on certain types of drugs, he'll mostly ignore it and go on about his business.

I get frustrated with women who think they're all set because they have a little bitty can of pepper spray on their keychain.

Dim Wit Mak
02-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Good points. I carry a kubaton and a folding knife almost everywhere I go. The only exceptions are those areas where I know I won't get away with it, such as an airport.

I ain't looking for trouble, but if if finds me, I am trained and ready.

Reverend Tap
02-21-2009, 01:54 PM
To add to this, even keeping a weapon with you 24/7 does you no good whatsoever if it takes you five minutes to deploy it. I've seen this many times with the women who carry pepper spray in their purses; invariably, it's just dumped in the main pouch of the purse and they have to spend a bunch of time digging through stuff, or even dump the contents of their purse out, in order to find it. That brings its already-questionable self-defense efficacy to zero.

Personally, I favor a small knife. Much more hazardous for an attacker to grab away from you, and if you've got the right kind of sheath (I don't like folders, personal preference) you can just yank it out in a real situation instead of even having to bother unsnapping it or whatever. Dunno what the laws are in other places, but in Colorado you can conceal up to a 3.5" blade legally (you can carry a claymore legally if you want, but anything over 3.5" can't be concealed), which is generally more than adequate. Plus, if you have a job like I do (stagehand), nobody looks at you funny for carrying it because it's "just a work knife."

Of course, considering the much higher risk of actually killing someone with a knife, you really have to be sure it's necessary before you pull it. You also, of course, need the training mentioned above in order to put it to real use in a combat situation.

David Jamieson
02-21-2009, 02:48 PM
it's about ranging more than anything.

the further the range, the more different the skills to that range are.
as you close range distance, techniques, tactics and strategies change as do weapons and their efficacy within a given range.

shape and size of weapon also dictates it's usage and this is especially true of non projectile weapons.

so, yes, from one range to the next the skills required to make combat are going to differ vastly.

SanHeChuan
02-21-2009, 03:02 PM
If you're smart enough to avoid danger when it's coming you can avoid it most of the time. It's when you get surprised and can't control the range that self defense becomes necessary.

Tagent :
Which is why I don't see why safari guides carry bolt action rifles for self defense. Rifles are for targets far enough away you can take your time to aim and you don't need to shoot them in self defense. You could just move away. When they are close enough to get you, It's better to have a large caliber semi-auto or full auto weapon.

Anyone see the movie PREY :rolleyes:

Taryn P.
02-21-2009, 07:00 PM
I always carry two knives (and pepper spray and a Surefire flashlight as well). In the knife defense seminars I've taken, we did scenarios wherein it was difficult to use the primary hand. Particularly once you're rolling around on the ground with someone, it is so good to have a knife on each side. You can usually get at one or the other, and if you get one knocked out of your hand, you have a backup.

One of mine is a straight blade and the other is serrated- the straight is supposedly better for cutting people, and the serrated is better for cutting things- like if you need to cut someone out of a seatbelt.

The first time I came to the MA class I'm taking now, some of my classmates gawped as I carefully divested myself of my weaponry before we began class. They still giggle today when they hear that distinctive "snap-snap" of the two Spidercos coming off my waistband before each and every bow-in.

xcakid
02-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Also pet peeve, in a self defense situation you can not, "Go home and get my gun." If you don't have your weapon with you 24/7 you need some alternate backup self defense option. So I don't see how a firearm could ever 100% replace unarmed combat for self defense.

If on your way to a PTA meeting at your kids school and you had to leave you weapon in the car, because it's not allow on school property even with a conceal and carry license and some dude decides to "take your lunch money". You better have a back up plan.

Very good point. I have a Concealed Carry License and based on current laws, I cannot legally carry where a valid sign (in TX is a 30.06) as well as inside bars, school grounds and federal buildings. It is also prohibited here at work.

Again the operative word is "legally" Let's just say that whenever at all possible, concealed mean concealed and I try to keep my weapon within a considerable distance. ;) I also always carry a folding knife with me, CRKT M16 or a Gerber.

Better to be judged by a jury of your peers, than be carried by your peers to your grave I always say.

xcakid
02-23-2009, 08:46 AM
And with regards to training, I try to take a tactical firearms course at least 2-3x a year. As well as shoot 2-4x a month. I use to compete in IDPA and IPSC quite a bit to hone my shooting skills, but lack of disposable income has curtailed that these days. I still practice the basics though.