PDA

View Full Version : I think Inside Kung-Fu Sucks.

AdrianK
02-22-2009, 07:20 PM
A cover story of a videogame? Seriously?

Hardwork108
02-22-2009, 07:39 PM
A cover story of a videogame? Seriously?

It seems that our art of kung fu is in worse shape than we thought.:eek::mad:

Laukarbo
02-22-2009, 08:59 PM
It seems that our art of kung fu is in worse shape than we thought.:eek::mad:

No,its just the forum...:cool:

GreenCloudCLF
02-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Don't bite the hand that's feeds you...:mad:

Dim Wit Mak
02-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Don't bite the hand that's feeds you...:mad:

It is a different publication. This one doesn't start with "Inside".

Violent Designs
02-23-2009, 01:23 AM
Cheers AdrianK.

Dragkin
02-23-2009, 09:02 AM
I have to agree that Inside Kung Fu has pretty much gone down hill in the last couple of years. When i first started training I thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread, but now its lucky to have more than one article in it that sounds remotely interesting. What's worse, Kung Fu Tai Chi is bi-monthly so I don't get my kung fu magazine fix for a while sometimes. Forget Black Belt magazine, that's become a MMA magazine for the most part these days. Though I have to admit, when it puts 'MMA Special' on two or three issues in a row its kind of funny :)

peace&love
02-23-2009, 10:09 AM
That was not the best issue in the world, but there is a fan base of the video games that are martial artists. Like most publications, they give portions of their clientele what they want. To expand their audience, they have expanded their subject areas. That article did not interest me in the least, but I find Inside Kung Fu's interviews interesting. Like most MA publications, it is very hit and miss, but overall I believe it is still good. Black Belt has been in the dumps for years now as far as well written material goes.

chusauli
02-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Being a writer, I know some mags sell only to 6th grade reading levels. They think the average martial artist is a 6th grade dropout meathead and really can't read.

sanjuro_ronin
02-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Being a writer, I know some mags sell only to 6th grade reading levels. They think the average martial artist is a 6th grade dropout meathead and really can't read.

Well, while that seems a tad harsh, I think there is probably some truth to that.
I think that "dilusional" and "looking for fantasy rather than reality" also enters into it.

chusauli
02-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Well, while that seems a tad harsh, I think there is probably some truth to that.
I think that "dilusional" and "looking for fantasy rather than reality" also enters into it.

Dude,

When I get an article back because it has "too many oriental" terms and that the writing should be geared for 12 year olds, I am shocked! :eek:

sanjuro_ronin
02-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Dude,

When I get an article back because it has "too many oriental" terms and that the writing should be geared for 12 year olds, I am shocked! :eek:

Yet...understandable.
Indeed, who are you writing for?
I mean, I assume that "The journal of Asian MA", for example, is more better suited for "high brow MA" than Inside Kung fu or Black Belt or whatever, no?

TenTigers
02-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Dude,

Funny how that magazine has changed. I used to read Doc Fai-Wong's articles and columns specifically for his use of Cantonese terminology.

Years ago, IKF was THE magazine.
Remember,"Way of the Monk?", Comparitive Styles, they used to show alot of techniques form some unusual styles, as well as complete forms.-and who can forget the White Crane vs Wing Chun article?
I still have those back issues.

sanjuro_ronin
02-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Funny how that magazine has changed. I used to read Doc Fai-Wong's articles and columns specifically for his use of Cantonese terminology.

Years ago, IKF was THE magazine.
Remember,"Way of the Monk?", Comparitive Styles, they used to show alot of techniques form some unusual styles, as well as complete forms.-and who can forget the White Crane vs Wing Chun article?
I still have those back issues.

If I remember correctly, my first IKM was in '79 or '80.

chusauli
02-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Its not who I wrote for, its who rejected my articles...I never published anything myself in the major magaizine and it is not IKF.

If you really must know, PM me.

TenTigers
02-23-2009, 12:48 PM
I gave a very early issue-wit Tadashi Yama****a on the cover, to Sifu John Crescione as a gift..many moons ago.
Now, I go on e-bay and buy every copy of the Black Belt magazine with Gin Foon Mark on the cover, and give them as gifts to my Jook Lum Buddies.

sanjuro_ronin
02-23-2009, 12:51 PM
I gave a very early issue-wit Tadashi Yama****a on the cover, to Sifu John Crescione as a gift..many moons ago.
Now, I go on e-bay and buy every copy of the Black Belt magazine with Gin Foon Mark on the cover, and give them as gifts to my Jook Lum Buddies.

I kept meaning to buy that one, there were a few copies of GM Mark.

Jimbo
02-23-2009, 02:35 PM
I have many old back issues of IKF dating back as early as 1976, maybe even earlier than that. I believe it went out of print for a year or two, and was revived again in 1979 or so. It was a really good magazine well into the '80s, but has really changed now, unfortunatele, not for the better.

ngokfei
02-23-2009, 04:01 PM
its all just a sign of the times.

I don't subscribe to any magazine as I only purchase a couple a year. Most of the articles are just rehashes of the past or pretty boring self promoting.

Black Belt and IKF tend to have more application based articles

And all the research I need comes off the web.

I do miss being able to get the Jingwu and Wu Lin magazine from china. Can't even find them in NYC anymore. Are they still being published?

Lama Pai Sifu
02-23-2009, 04:39 PM
Are you guys aware the CFW Enterprises sold the magazine several years ago? This is why it has changed and gone downhill in my opinion. It's just not the same. The old IKF was cool, back in the day.

mickey
02-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Greetings,

Inside Kung Fu started to go downhill when Dave Cater got on board. His focus was more about the bottom line and less about the cultures it served. He pumped up division and controversy, not caring about long term repercussions, throwing IKF into a darkness that it has yet to recover from. It was the aforementioned and his callousness that created the reaction that we have come to know as Kung Fu Magazine. He helped create a new monster and it is thriving.

mickey

chusauli
02-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Most mags get article submissions frm martial artists. If the article sucks it is because the writer is writing fluff or BS or doesn't know squat.

How many of you guys wrote anything of quality to have published?

Do it guys and you can turn that trend around.

Better than *****ing about lack of good articles...

Really.

GeneChing
02-23-2009, 05:01 PM
See my old thread Inside Kung-Fu (CFW Enterprises) sold (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38395). I wish I had cut&pasted that original article because now it's off the web. But you can learn a lot about what happened in the successive posts. Black Belt was sold too. We're one of the last indie mags still on the newsstands...

chusauli
02-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Most mags get article submissions frm martial artists. If the article sucks it is because the writer is writing fluff or BS or doesn't know squat.

How many of you guys wrote anything of quality to have published?

Do it guys and you can turn that trend around. Write about your art, why it is good, principles, training, how it does against _______, why it is the best. Ask your sifu to help you for info.

This is a lot better than *****ing about lack of good articles...

Really.

dc_jowga
03-06-2009, 04:41 PM
i agree.

any magazine that calls itself "kung fu" and then publishes MONTHLY articles on seminar masters, and two kenpo bozos pretending to be "shaolin karate monks" (lol) is a joke.

it's a platform for wannabe kung fu posers to give their shopping center dojos (and 8th degree kung fu black belts) credibility.

that said, i buy the magazine for the ads... and for rainy days when we're out of stuff to read on the toilet. :D

TenTigers
03-07-2009, 08:11 AM
yep. I read Playboy for the articles.
yeah, and I also go to department stores for the escalators.

Hardwork108
03-07-2009, 07:51 PM
yep. I read Playboy for the articles.
yeah, and I also go to department stores for the escalators.

I want to be your disciple.:D

ironsifu
03-08-2009, 03:13 PM
we all do!

but playboy "articles" are bad for your eyesite... didnt your sifu teach you that? :eek:

TenTigers
03-08-2009, 03:15 PM
(can I do it till I need glasses?)

my Sifu told me,"If you keep that up, you'll go blind."
I said,"Sifu, I'm over here."

ironsifu
03-08-2009, 03:30 PM
(can I do it till I need glasses?)

my Sifu told me,"If you keep that up, you'll go blind."
I said,"Sifu, I'm over here."

lol

they say that iron palm training with the tips of the finger will make you go blind too....

Hardwork108
03-08-2009, 06:07 PM
we all do!

but playboy "articles" are bad for your eyesite... didnt your sifu teach you that? :eek:

He did. That is why we always practise chi sao wearing a blindfold.:D

Hardwork108
03-08-2009, 06:10 PM
lol

they say that iron palm training with the tips of the finger will make you go blind too....

That is good because I can always blame iron palm training for my eventually bad eyesight.